• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE - Australian Pod - All the fun without the crazy!

Started by awake, June 17, 2013, 02:49:36 PM

awake

I stumbled on this while looking for interesting podcasts, I think it's the best podcast available in the ufo, bigfoot, ghost realm.  The hosts are believers but they don't simply credulously accept every story which hits the news, there is actually a bit of critical thinking which occurs!  The Australian point of view is interesting and takes them out of the polarized politics of Wells & Snoory.  They sometime disagree with each other but they are never disagreeable.  I personally really enjoy the music which is played as well.  When I listen to C2C I scowl and when I listen to this I smile, even though they cover the same general material.  As a skeptic it is fun to hear these topics discussed by people who seem to have their feet firmly on the ground.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've never heard of this one before.

awake

Great, glad to send folks onto something new.  If you like it, tell another person. :)

Bigfoot

This is honestly the best mainstream paranormal/UFO-themed show out there right now.

Tonight's Russia-themed show was the shit. 

bateman

Quote from: Bigfoot on November 08, 2013, 03:16:18 AM
This is honestly the best mainstream paranormal/UFO-themed show out there right now.

Tonight's Russia-themed show was the shit. 

They are pretty good. Much, much better than The Paracast or Radio Misterioso. Listening to November 8 episode now.

Bigfoot

Quote from: bateman on November 08, 2013, 10:44:19 AM
They are pretty good. Much, much better than The Paracast or Radio Misterioso. Listening to November 8 episode now.

I tried really hard to get into the Paracast.  :-\

bateman

Quote from: Bigfoot on November 08, 2013, 01:36:22 PM
I tried really hard to get into the Paracast.  :-\

It really does blow. I'm listening to some of these podcasts thinking, have these people ever heard a good radio show before? Do they pay any attention to how it's put together?

Bigfoot

Quote from: bateman on November 08, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
It really does blow. I'm listening to some of these podcasts thinking, have these people ever heard a good radio show before? Do they pay any attention to how it's put together?

The one thing I will say about them is that they are not afraid to really take down a bullshitter.  Some of them... wow.  They completely destroy them. 

Gene and Chris may not be good radio hosts, but they certainly care about the topic and don't abide the outright hucksters.   I guess I got tired of non-variety week after week.  They should really call the show the UFOcast. 

exiskorlan

I have been a plus subscriber to Mysterious Universe for a couple of years now. This is a spectacular show that highlights high weirdness moreso than the crazies.

Bigfoot

Quote from: exiskorlan on November 10, 2013, 05:41:47 PM
I have been a plus subscriber to Mysterious Universe for a couple of years now. This is a spectacular show that highlights high weirdness moreso than the crazies.

I've been thinking about becoming a plus member for a while.  I think they tend to do a special around the new year, like a month or two free or something.  I'll probably do that, as I've been especially impressed with the quality lately.

exiskorlan

Quote from: Bigfoot on November 10, 2013, 06:16:45 PM
I think they tend to do a special around the new year, like a month or two free or something.  I'll probably do that, as I've been especially impressed with the quality lately.

They did it in September so it may be awhile. for ten bucks it is worth if for the two extra hours a week, I'm not sure if these guys do it for a living but they have to do a lot of reasearch to put the shows together.

basswood

I'm pretty surprised that MU doesn't get more buzz. I started listening about a year ago and though there isn't much actual investigation into the topics, their prep work to set up the jokes they tell is incredible. I listen less for the guests and info than for their perfectly scripted routines. I find them very funny and likeable while at the same time seeing how one mught be grated by them. Hoping they continue to stick to a pre-recorded show as their live New Year's eve show was a train wreck.

analog kid

They suck now. They do two shows a week that are about an hour and a half, and constantly complain about how hard it is, or how much work it is.  They aren't doing the same subject matter anymore, either. It's now the weekly Reddit report. That and near death experiences. Always NDEs.  They seem to want to do nothing but browse Reddit and play with their gadgets. This costs more than Netflix. They delete all comments that mention these things on their websites and Facebook and ban you, no matter how benign they are.

They were supposed to have an interview with Ardy Sixkiller Clarke recently. They advertised the interview and hyped it up, but when you get to the portion of the show behind the paywall, they don't have the interview. She apparently didn't want to do the interview on skype, and they didn't want to do the interview over the phone. Presumably, and by the sound of it, because they're too lazy to edit the audio from a phoned-in interview, and they blamed her and made fun of her for it. They instead just read a few stories from the book.

indigoo

Quote from: analog kid on February 11, 2015, 06:43:38 AM
They suck now. They do two shows a week that are about an hour and a half, and constantly complain about how hard it is, or how much work it is.  They aren't doing the same subject matter anymore, either. It's now the weekly Reddit report. That and near death experiences. Always NDEs.  They seem to want to do nothing but browse Reddit and play with their gadgets. This costs more than Netflix. They delete all comments that mention these things on their websites and Facebook and ban you, no matter how benign they are.

They were supposed to have an interview with Ardy Sixkiller Clarke recently. They advertised the interview and hyped it up, but when you get to the portion of the show behind the paywall, they don't have the interview. She apparently didn't want to do the interview on skype, and they didn't want to do the interview over the phone. Presumably, and by the sound of it, because they're too lazy to edit the audio from a phoned-in interview, and they blamed her and made fun of her for it. They instead just read a few stories from the book.

This is why after 4 years of being a Plus member I cancelled it last month. I had just stopped listening. The newest host was annoying. The show is definitely as you describe now, the allure of the old shows has long since disappeared, and they moved from entertaining and insightful to annoying.

RedMichael

This is very good. They definitely aren't radio personalities but that is part of the charm in my opinion. As opposed to Wells who has a radio voice and THINKS he has a radio personality or Church who has neither but thinks he has both.

b_dubb

They blocked me on Twitter. They tweeted about a blog post of theirs (about giant squid or something) but the article was riddled with typos and comma splice after comma splice. Just terrible writing. I asked if they ever proofread their blog posts prior to posting them and BLOCKED. What a bunch of no clowns.

jjsmooth

Quote from: basswood on February 11, 2015, 05:19:26 AM
I'm pretty surprised that MU doesn't get more buzz. I started listening about a year ago and though there isn't much actual investigation into the topics, their prep work to set up the jokes they tell is incredible. I listen less for the guests and info than for their perfectly scripted routines. I find them very funny and likeable while at the same time seeing how one mught be grated by them. Hoping they continue to stick to a pre-recorded show as their live New Year's eve show was a train wreck.

Yeah, I'm digging this show. I've enjoyed every episode of this season. Judas-Priest-induced suicide, Canadian Jesus, pirates, bigfoot, sexy robots... this show has it all.

indigoo

I'm just curious, is it still Aaron and Ben? Did they can the bozo behind the scenes? What happened to the female host they were trying out (I see no mention of her). I kinda am curious to know where they stand with the hosts and crew because the new hosts and that one guy were major reasons I just couldn't stand listening to them anymore.

And NDEs.

berry

Oh wow. I cannot say that I agree. I really enjoy the podcast. I guess to each her own. Wendy was temporary to help them with social media because they aren't the best customer service guys. But I anticipate each show and it is one of my top podcasts. I am listening to some of MVs old train wreck shows too. They really are pretty good if you are looking for something else to listen to..

indigoo

Do you know what happened to the other guy? I forget his name, but he helped with the Apps and stuff like that. I didn't like him when he hosted.

I always thought Aaron and Ben had great chemistry but the show lost a lot the last few months I listened (last time I did was in Feb.) And I didn't want more hosts mucking things up, so I'm glad to hear Wendy was only temporary.

Has the content been more diverse? Seriously all I can remember in the last few months I listened was NDE NDE NDE.

analog kid

I was banned and scrubbed from their facebook page for saying "The weekly NDE report." Compare that to say, this forum, where MV is admirably and almost militantly against any kind of censorship.

I was a subscriber for a few years, but I can't listen to those guys complain about how put upon they are by their job - the one that involves browsing the internet and commenting on it in a 1 1/2 hour weekly podcast. Haven't listened to it in about eight months.

They wouldn't last three days with Art's schedule, and they're in their early 30s.

jjsmooth

Only Aaron and Ben from what I've heard. And I don't think I've heard any NDE stuff, but there could have been a segment that I've forgotten about.

berry

Elliot was the other guy. He apparently moved on but they stay in contact. As for NDEs they must have taken the hint because I haven't heard anything on that for a while. I still enjoy the fluff part of it when they just scour the net and report on odd stories.

indigoo

Quote from: berry on August 04, 2015, 02:04:20 AM
Elliot was the other guy. He apparently moved on but they stay in contact. As for NDEs they must have taken the hint because I haven't heard anything on that for a while. I still enjoy the fluff part of it when they just scour the net and report on odd stories.

Yes Elliott, man the three of them together, it just got so off-track. Really got annoying compared to their usual pace which I thought was just right. I liked them because they weren't so hammy but left time for some humor and then it just changed last year some time.

And yes, trust me, I subscribed since they Season 3-->13 and towards the end the majority of crap I heard was NDE. So The Weekly NDE Report is not far off. Maybe I'll give their newest show with David Paulides a listen.

Soylentblue

I gave them a listen this week after reading the first page of this topic.

Maybe it's unfair of me but after one listen to them I unsubscribed. The whole show seemed to be nothing more than inside jokes and ripping and reading stories from other websites. Disappointing.

henge0stone

I love Mysterious Universe! I actually bought seasons 1 and 2 on their website. Season 1 (classics) is before Aaron came on the show and for 15 dollars you get over a hundred shows. It's a pretty good deal. The new age music is gives it flavor and a theme. What I really like is the variety of news stories and topics in each show. Its not just UFOs Bigfoot ect, they cover any weird story and topic. Ben and Aaron have great chemistry too they sorta remind me of the game grumps.

ChandlersDad

Quote from: henge0stone on August 10, 2015, 06:45:51 PM
I love Mysterious Universe! I actually bought seasons 1 and 2 on their website. Season 1 (classics) is before Aaron came on the show and for 15 dollars you get over a hundred shows. It's a pretty good deal. The new age music is gives it flavor and a theme. What I really like is the variety of news stories and topics in each show. Its not just UFOs Bigfoot ect, they cover any weird story and topic. Ben and Aaron have great chemistry too they sorta remind me of the game grumps.

I have subscribed since Season 2. But I do think the best shows were in the past.  They focused more on paranormal issues, which for me was the attraction. Now they tend to also focus a lot on the latest technological developments around the world. They may interest a lot of people, but I just don't need to pay a monthly subscription fee just to have them describe the latest yuppie techy device for the idle rich and the very young. That information is available at other free venues.

What I like best is when they present paranormal material, often with a GREAT sense of humor. They don't suffer fools gladly (unlike Art Bell and C2C). If they think someone is bogus, they will say so, but no viciousness involved. They have such a smooth dialogue that I wonder if they script the entire thing before they record, like old radio programs in the 40's and 50's.

I confess that I toy with the idea of cancelling the subscription since the latest shows don't thrill me like the older ones with a more paranormal focus. I download all the shows each week, but find myself NOT listening to them. I assume I will get to them someday. Maybe this is just a step before cutting myself lose. Dunno. I suppose I could develop a rebirth in interest. If so, all the files will be available to me.

Demontooth

I gave up on it earlier this year. I found myself downloading it and not listening. I commented on one of the show posts about it being a new technology show and Aaron deleted it and said its a new direction and if I didn't like it, unsubscribe and they didn't care.  I unsubscribed.

henge0stone

Quote from: Demontooth on August 16, 2015, 04:30:19 PM
I gave up on it earlier this year. I found myself downloading it and not listening. I commented on one of the show posts about it being a new technology show and Aaron deleted it and said its a new direction and if I didn't like it, unsubscribe and they didn't care.  I unsubscribed.

They certainly aren't very good with customer service. I'm probably never going to subscribe. I have their shows on itunes when I get around I'll listen. The 10 dollars a month seems a bit high for what they're offering.

ponyboysunset

I bought the back catalog aka before Aaron and just hearing it makes me long for the days of old. I tried listening to the new show and it was just awful. They were talking way too fast and about things that I was not interested in. I miss the calm, cool, Ben Grundy who played trip hop and talked about old hag syndrome. Sigh. At least I have about 150 episodes of him before it went belly up.