• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Political Compass

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 07, 2014, 01:31:56 PM

MV/Liberace!

This is me:
[attach=1]

To find out what you are, go here.  Please report your findings.

Juan

Here's mine - remember, I'm accused of being a Republican and right-winger.  This probably shows me more right than I actually am, as some of the questions were poor.

wr250

and i am apparently in company with the dalai lama and nelson mandela
Jaun is right , some of the questions were poor.
[attach=1]

albrecht

Economic Left/Right: 3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.46
http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=3.38&soc=0.46

An interesting questionnaire but on many of the questions there should've be an option of "don't care" because on many of them I was ambivalent, or just didn't care at all, but had to choose either/or on those questions which I'm sure skewed the results a bit. Might be a better test to have more options (say 1-10 on a scale of importance or belief.) I see how they claim that "forcing people to make a choice" (FAQ 5 & 6) on the question has some merit but if you really "don't care it" will skew the result drastically either by random choice or by an attempt by test taker to artificially balance out the question by choosing the other way on a similarly worded issue later.

Also, many of the questions deserve more follow-up or coherency. An example: one could believe that a corporations first, or most important, role to serve the interests of the share-holders- but that would include obeying the law, benefiting "humanity", etc (and therefore not risking sanction or lower stock prices and damage to the share-holders). Or that one could believe in corporations but also believe (as in the originally legal arrangements when first created) that their charter only lasts a certain period of time, involves a certain scope of activity, or needs to be renewed etc.

Would not have guessed this, and yeah they could have done a better job with the Q's

[attachimg=1]

Juan

That corporation question is exactly one of those I question.  The basic duty, under the law, of the folks who run corporations is to return a profit on the investments of shareholders.  I suspect the quiz would take this as a right-wing position, when it should be a neutral one.  Now, whether the law should favor that position is another question.

albrecht

Quote from: Juan on May 07, 2014, 02:15:40 PM
That corporation question is exactly one of those I question.  The basic duty, under the law, of the folks who run corporations is to return a profit on the investments of shareholders.  I suspect the quiz would take this as a right-wing position, when it should be a neutral one.  Now, whether the law should favor that position is another question.
I haven't seen their weighting of the questions or methodology but I would imagine one's answers on the child-rearing and sex stuff could also lend to authoritarianism on the eventual political ranking (which makes some sense in some cases) but also one can have personal views on how to raise a family, how to behave personally, etc without holding the view that we must have an authoritarian government telling us how to do it or criminally penalizing certain behavior.

MrMajestik

Was surprised I'm not more right leaning on the economics.

[attachimg=1]

MV/Liberace!

The basic duty, under the law, of the folks who run corporations is to return a profit on the investments of shareholders.  I suspect the quiz would take this as a right-wing position, when it should be a neutral one.

agreed.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 07, 2014, 02:12:04 PM
Would not have guessed this, and yeah they could have done a better job with the Q's

[attachimg=1]
Ha! Filthy Commie!! See you at next Politburo,  tovarisch!!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NowhereInTime on May 07, 2014, 02:53:59 PM
Ha! Filthy Commie!! See you at next Politburo,  tovarisch!!!

i think paperboy usually is misunderstood politically as some sort of hard right ideologue when he isn't.

Jackstar

Here I am!

I think there is a lot of cultural bias in the queries. Several questions, I could have gone either way on depending on how I looked at the issue, and English itself poses a bias.

Love this concept though. Also, look how close I am to the bottom left! That's where the magick zero point energy happens, you know!

The General

I don't take that website seriously. 
They have Obama charted as a right wing authoritarian.
Farther right than me, even.  Which is not possible.

Jackstar

I was just noticing, "No one is either red or blue yet! Everyone is either cheese or purple!!"

Bart Ell

Hoping for Merkel but ended up sharing a backyard fence with Mandela.
I have to rethink my whole thing now, man.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: MV on May 07, 2014, 03:04:13 PM
i think paperboy usually is misunderstood politically as some sort of hard right ideologue when he isn't.
Sure! Take away my schadenfreude!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NowhereInTime on May 07, 2014, 03:29:55 PM
Sure! Take away my schadenfreude!

now, i would never want to be thought of as someone who would do such a thing.

McPhallus

Meh.  I felt most of the questions were superficial to a degree and would require followup questions in order to clarify one's position.  The why is just as important as the what.

[attachimg=1]

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: McPhallus on May 07, 2014, 03:54:12 PM
The why is just as important as the what.

i think so, too.  there were several questions i didn't want to answer because i felt they were making an assumption as to the "why" part of things.

OH!  Surprise....   ;)

[attach=1]

I thought some of my answers were very "right-leaning."
Guess not.

Juan, wasn't that corporation question about the social responsibility?  I had trouble with that one.

And, personally, I don't think a question with the phrase "social responsibility" in it is an unbiased question anyway.  Language, language, language.

George Drooly

My results came out... funny. I want to take the test again.

Juan

Quote from: Treading Water on May 07, 2014, 04:47:31 PM
Juan, wasn't that corporation question about the social responsibility?  I had trouble with that one.

And, personally, I don't think a question with the phrase "social responsibility" in it is an unbiased question anyway.  Language, language, language.
Yeah, that's part of the problem.  The only social responsibility a corporation has under the law is to its shareholders.  Any other social responsibility is just opinion.

I also had a problem with the death penalty question.  Answers just aren't as clear cut as the test assumes.

[attachimg=1]

Thought I would be a bit closer to centre on left to right axis, but about where I expected on the libertarian vs authoritarian axis.

Birdie

I would have thought I was more towards the center on the left-right axis, as well.

I went back and took the test again, this time reading all the questions very, very carefully. I dislike these types of tests because the wording can be easily misread after a few questions. Anyways, I scored slightly differently because I read a few of the questions incorrectly the first time through: