• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Dr. MD MD

This is the first biopic on The Beatles I remember seeing as a kid. It's a bit cheesy and you may even be tempted to turn it off in the first 10 minutes...but don't. It kinda grows on you after awhile and overall gives you an impressionistic wash of how they took the rock and roll formula and turned it up to 11 and the kind of excitement that generated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQDLVIPmTo

I'm sorry.  Lot of people hate the Beatles but damn everything they did was damn great.  I like their early rock 'n' roll and r & b stuff, their psychedlia  and their roots rock.  I even like Revolution #9.  Fuck anybody that hates them.

I guess when I'm drunk is the best time for me to put out a best rock and roll band list.

1. The Beatles
2.  Son of Beatles (The Electric Light Orchestra)
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Kinks
5. The Rolling Stones
6. The Pink Floyd
7. The Who
8. The Eagles
9. The Stray Cats
10. The Cramps

Honorable mention:  The Move

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 06, 2018, 02:05:00 AM
I guess when I'm drunk is the best time for me to put out a best rock and roll band list.

1. The Beatles
2.  Son of Beatles (The Electric Light Orchestra)
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Kinks
5. The Rolling Stones
6. The Pink Floyd
7. The Who
8. The Eagles
9. The Stray Cats
10. The Cramps

Honorable mention:  The Move

Tentatively disapproved. Please resubmit in 30 days for final disapproval.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 06, 2018, 02:09:01 AM
Tentatively disapproved. Please resubmit in 30 days for final disapproval.

LOL.  The 4-10 spots are liable to change but 1-3 will never change.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 06, 2018, 02:13:32 AM
LOL.  The 4-10 spots are liable to change but 1-3 will never change.

I would have to find room for Zeppelin. Not sure I could stop at 10.  Probably have a 1-3 and the next 20 or so.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 06, 2018, 02:20:57 AM
I would have to find room for Zeppelin. Not sure I could stop at 10.  Probably have a 1-3 and the next 20 or so.

Zeppelin and the Yardbirds are up there.  So is Skynyrd and ZZ Top.  I put in the Cramps and the Stray Cats because I love them and to be different.  I'm sure there are other bands too that are escaping me at the moment.  AC/DC comes to mind.  I hate making best of lists but my inhibitions down now and I feel more free to make such a list.  Cheap Trick, Cars, Blondie come to mind too.  Fuck it, I should have made it a top 50.  Still, my top 3 spots won't change.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 06, 2018, 02:20:57 AM

+1

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 06, 2018, 02:47:06 AM
Zeppelin and the Yardbirds are up there.  So is Skynyrd and ZZ Top.  I put in the Cramps and the Stray Cats because I love them and to be different.  I'm sure there are other bands too that are escaping me at the moment.  AC/DC comes to mind.  I hate making best of lists but my inhibitions down now and I feel more free to make such a list.  Cheap Trick, Cars, Blondie come to mind too.  Fuck it, I should have made it a top 50.  Still, my top 3 spots won't change.

Yeah. Good luck. ELP. Dylan. CSN&Y. Yes. Animals. Cream. Chicago. Styx. Grand Funk. CCR.  Ok, I give up.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 06, 2018, 02:55:19 AM
Yeah. Good luck. ELP. Dylan. CSN&Y. Yes. Animals. Cream. Chicago. Styx. Grand Funk. CCR.  Ok, I give up.

There ya go,  Dylan doesn't make it because he's not a band.  LOL.  If I added him Elvis would have to be added and a slew of other 50's rock 'n'n rollers like Jerry Lee, Fats, Chuck.  It doesn't end.  Absolutely love CCR, Styx, Cream  Animals and early Chicago.  Chicago started to suck after '78 when Kath died and afterwards was more or less a vehicle for Et Cetera.  Jeff Lynne of ELO's girlfriend these days is Kath's widow.  I don't know ELP that well outside of Maple Leaf Rag.  I don't like David Crosby but the others are great.  Yes has some great stuff but probably wouldn't put them at the top though it was nice seeing them at the Induction ceremony.

I'm going again this year to Cleveland.  Some great bands being inducted this year too like the Moody Blues (another one that slipped my mind), and the Cars among others. It doesn't hurt that I can stay at my sis-in-law's house while I'm there.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 06, 2018, 03:02:58 AM
There ya go,  Dylan doesn't make it because he's not a band.  LOL.  If I added him Elvis would have to be added and a slew of other 50's rock 'n'n rollers like Jerry Lee, Fats, Chuck.  It doesn't end.  Absolutely love CCR, Styx, Cream  Animals and early Chicago.  Chicago started to suck after '78 when Kath died and afterwards was more or less a vehicle for Et Cetera.  Jeff Lynne of ELO's girlfriend these days is Kath's widow.  I don't know ELP that well outside of Maple Leaf Rag.  I don't like David Crosby but the others are great.  Yes has some great stuff but probably wouldn't put them at the top though it was nice seeing them at the Induction ceremony.

I'm going again this year to Cleveland.  Some great bands being inducted this year too like the Moody Blues (another one that slipped my mind), and the Cars among others.

To me Elliot Easton was one of the most tasteful guitarists in modern rock. His solos are never just bombastic jams but are always well crafted thought out lines that really serve the song. I lost touch with the Cars after their first 3 albums and I don't think they lasted much longer than that so I haven't heard anything recent he's done but he's a class act.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 06, 2018, 03:15:48 AM
To me Elliot Easton was one of the most tasteful guitarists in modern rock. His solos are never just bombastic jams but are always well crafted thought out lines that really serve the song. I lost touch with the Cars after their first 3 albums and I don't think they lasted much longer than that so I haven't heard anything recent he's done but he's a class act.

They had about 7 albums in their heyday.  I liked Shake It Up and Heartbeat City but the first album is perfect.  I'd put the tape in whenever I was at the Florida Beach and the chicks would start flirting. Ah, good times.