• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Global Peace Index 2014

Started by bateman, June 18, 2014, 08:27:17 PM

wr250

Quote from: NowhereInTime on June 21, 2014, 07:21:28 AM
A very sad, jingoistic, misanthropic view of your fellow human being.

Consistent with conservatism, which fearfully perceives "burden" from every unknown and different person.

Here's a tiny list of immigrants who did good things in this country:

http://invent.answers.com/famous-inventors/top-immigrant-inventors-and-their-important-inventions

Really, take a 15 minute break and google "immigrant inventions".  This is the tip of the iceberg of motivated peoples that have come here.
they also bring illicit drugs, antibiotic resistant diseases, less than desirable cartels/gangs. im all for immigration, provided there is some control to keep undesirables out; or in the case of the ill , get them someplace to be treated, then returned to their home country.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: wr250 on June 21, 2014, 07:43:28 AM
they also bring illicit drugs, antibiotic resistant diseases, less than desirable cartels/gangs. im all for immigration, provided there is some control to keep undesirables out; or in the case of the ill , get them someplace to be treated, then returned to their home country.
That includes white people.  When we came over, we brought a whole bevy of diseases (chicken pox, measles), vices (alcohol), and other pestilence (norwegian brown rat) to this continent.  I don't think we did it on purpose, nor do I think today's immigrants have malice of forethought.

To condemn people who are trying to escape disease, tyranny, poverty, social injustice and corruption is not only callous but entirely hypocritical, as that is why so many emigrated here from Mother Europe.

Does there need to be better cultural integration? Yes.  Do I personally believe there are issues with specific communities' disregard for our societal norms? I do.  However, these are issues that can (and need to) be addressed, rather than wholesale dismissal of people.

wr250

Quote from: NowhereInTime on June 21, 2014, 08:17:19 AM
That includes white people.  When we came over, we brought a whole bevy of diseases (chicken pox, measles), vices (alcohol), and other pestilence (norwegian brown rat) to this continent.  I don't think we did it on purpose, nor do I think today's immigrants have malice of forethought.

To condemn people who are trying to escape disease, tyranny, poverty, social injustice and corruption is not only callous but entirely hypocritical, as that is why so many emigrated here from Mother Europe.

Does there need to be better cultural integration? Yes.  Do I personally believe there are issues with specific communities' disregard for our societal norms? I do.  However, these are issues that can (and need to) be addressed, rather than wholesale dismissal of people.

im not sure if i made myself clear enough (perhaps i just misunderstand your post?) :
i am all for immigration. just letting people wander over the border and into the general population  with highly contagious , antibiotic diseases is just stupid. as is letting cartels  moving  drugs into our country and cash out of it. i only wish to have some control. the ill should be treated appropriately, the meth/heroin/coke dealing cartel members kept out, and those who wish to become productive citizens by all means come on in.  but do it legally, and yes i know immigration policies need reform.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: wr250 on June 21, 2014, 08:30:01 AM
im not sure if i made myself clear enough (perhaps i just misunderstand your post?) :
i am all for immigration. just letting people wander over the border and into the general population  with highly contagious , antibiotic diseases is just stupid. as is letting cartels  moving  drugs into our country and cash out of it. i only wish to have some control. the ill should be treated appropriately, the meth/heroin/coke dealing cartel members kept out, and those who wish to become productive citizens by all means come on in.  but do it legally, and yes i know immigration policies need reform.
I'm totally on board your ship, my Captain!

Quick Karl

Quote from: wr250 on June 21, 2014, 08:30:01 AM

What purpose does large scale immigration serve, with respect to the economic and employment conditions in the United States, relative to the Citizens that already live here?

Who benefits from immigration? The corporations, or unemployed citizens?

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on June 21, 2014, 01:08:05 AM
There are no native Americans here..

They wear Canadian hockey team jerseys and will punch your fucking lights out if you call them anything other than Canadian. I don't know where you got your 'facts' from but the problem is not HUGE. They are just an irritant at best. Give them the handout they're asking for every few years and they go away for awhile.

...and there's really not that many off them.
I was trying to be "politically correct" I don't know what they want to be called these days. So let's stick with Indians. And their are Indians in Canada, despite your claims.
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/canada-indigenous-protest-movement-highlights-deep-rooted-injustices-2013-01-04

albrecht

Quote from: NowhereInTime on June 21, 2014, 07:21:28 AM

Here's a tiny list of immigrants who did good things in this country:

http://invent.answers.com/famous-inventors/top-immigrant-inventors-and-their-important-inventions

Really, take a 15 minute break and google "immigrant inventions".  This is the tip of the iceberg of motivated peoples that have come here.
As I said, and confirmed after reading this list, immigrants from Europe and Asia (properly vetted) have been a good thing. This list confirms my point. I don't see many African, Central American, South American, or Mexicans who swam across the river on that list.

Sure we get cheap labor from the illegal immigration promoted by Obama but, again, as a progressive yourself that justifies the dangers, exploitation, and destruction of our culture? Not to mention the diseases and all the crimes they commit? Simply to have your lawn mowed? I'd rather do it myself or hire a neighbor kid (be good for him too to learn about work.) Is one cheap nanny worth all the people killed when they drink and drive (usually uninsured and without a license?) Is a cheap busboy worth all the rapes or even serial killers (remember the Railroad Kill illegal guy?)

Quick Karl

Our southern border is open for LOW WAGE LABOR so that the Corporations that fund the political parties can make ever greater profits, AND, to stack the deck with democrat votes when the privilege of United States Citizenship is handed to them under an amnesty -- two, wholly, anti-American goals, being implemented with tactics the left would cry about for 10,000-years were Conservatives and Libertarians to resort to similar tactics to achieve their political goals.

The left cannot achieve their political goals on the merits of their arguments, so its OK to cheat to do it.

What is mind-boggling about this is, supporters of it, aren't even wise enough to consider the impact it will have on their own children's future - that says a lot about the character and integrity of those folks.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 21, 2014, 10:28:20 AM
Our southern border is open for LOW WAGE LABOR so that the Corporations that fund the political parties can make ever greater profits, AND, to stack the deck with democrat votes when the privilege of United States Citizenship is handed to them under an amnesty -- two, wholly, anti-American goals, being implemented with tactics the left would cry about for 10,000-years were Conservatives and Libertarians to resort to similar tactics to achieve their political goals.

The left cannot achieve their political goals on the merits of their arguments, so its OK to cheat to do it.

What is mind-boggling about this is, supporters of it, aren't even wise enough to consider the impact it will have on their own children's future - that says a lot about the character and integrity of those folks.
Yes, they're inclined to help people; you're not.  Shitbag.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: albrecht on June 21, 2014, 10:19:26 AM
As I said, and confirmed after reading this list, immigrants from Europe and Asia (properly vetted) have been a good thing. This list confirms my point. I don't see many African, Central American, South American, or Mexicans who swam across the river on that list.

Sure we get cheap labor from the illegal immigration promoted by Obama but, again, as a progressive yourself that justifies the dangers, exploitation, and destruction of our culture? Not to mention the diseases and all the crimes they commit? Simply to have your lawn mowed? I'd rather do it myself or hire a neighbor kid (be good for him too to learn about work.) Is one cheap nanny worth all the people killed when they drink and drive (usually uninsured and without a license?) Is a cheap busboy worth all the rapes or even serial killers (remember the Railroad Kill illegal guy?)
So, Archie, your dream is to have all of the Mexicans swim the Rio Grande back South of the Border and all of the Blacks to swim back to Africa? With, what under each arm?

wr250

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 21, 2014, 09:43:19 AM
What purpose does large scale immigration serve, with respect to the economic and employment conditions in the United States, relative to the Citizens that already live here?

Who benefits from immigration? The corporations, or unemployed citizens?

well if they are doing it legally they will have a passport at least. or some other permission to enter the country. how many do you think will actually do that? if they have to show a passport/green card/education visa, citizenship etc ?
if they want to come in on a medical waiver then i think that should be allowed and depending on the issue (contagious disease should probably be ambulanced in to prevent as much contact as you can) sent back to their home country upon recovery.

albrecht

on the good side maybe some of the folks in Guinea and Sierre Leone will cross our open border now that Ebola is "totally out of control" there. Maybe even become one of those Obama "dreamers?" Certainly it is unfair that only those poor people should have to deal with that disease which, no doubt, was caused by colonialism like every other problem in Africa.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-totally-out-of-control-in-west-africa/

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on June 21, 2014, 10:14:20 AM
I was trying to be "politically correct" I don't know what they want to be called these days. So let's stick with Indians. And their are Indians in Canada, despite your claims.
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/canada-indigenous-protest-movement-highlights-deep-rooted-injustices-2013-01-04

Hell yeah we got us some Indians.. you missed the point, ugh. ::)

Quick Karl

Quote from: ksm32 on June 21, 2014, 09:49:01 PM
Hell yeah we got us some Indians.. you missed the point, ugh. ::)

It wasn't Elitist English, Spanish, French, and Dutch Europeans that invaded North America and slaughtered Native Americans to TAKE their land, and natural resources - it was WHITE CHRISTIAN REPUBLICANS!!!!

WTF is that MATTER with you already???? Are you brain dead or something?

albrecht

Quote from: NowhereInTime on June 21, 2014, 10:44:34 AM
So, Archie, your dream is to have all of the Mexicans swim the Rio Grande back South of the Border and all of the Blacks to swim back to Africa? With, what under each arm?

It is actually quite simple. Secure the border (mainly the southern border because that is the main problem), keep track of all the visas, travellers and student visas more stringently. And MOST IMPORTANTLY make real criminal, and substantial civil, penalties for anyone or company who hires illegals. This could be encourage by allowing a "bounty", maybe in terms of tax break, for anyone reporting a person or business who hires or paid an illegal (like our "whistle-blower" and "IRS whistle-blower" rules.  Lastly, the costs of any illegal we need to deport is paid for by their country. (If the individual illegal don't have assets to pay because we should also seize any assets of an illegal: cash, vehicle, home, bank account etc to pay first for their handling back home.) If those countries will not reimburse then we dock that amount from the aid, bailouts, military, or humanitarian funds we give them. If that doesn't cover costs then we seize the appropriate amount from assets that country holds in any of our banks or Federal Reserve banks. If that doesn't work a high "surcharge" on all monies wired or sent to that country from our country including everything from Reserve money down to Money Orders and Western Union transfers. If that doesn't work than seizure of PERSONAL assets politicians and leaders from that country held in our banks. IF that still doesn't work than sanctions with any imports from that country. That would solve the problem, fairly quickly.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 21, 2014, 10:05:19 PM
It wasn't Elitist English, Spanish, French, and Dutch Europeans that invaded North America and slaughtered Native Americans to TAKE their land, and natural resources - it was WHITE CHRISTIAN REPUBLICANS!!!!

That's the one hundredth time you've made that lame ass, woe-is-me joke.

You're so stupid it hurts.

Quick Karl

Quote from: NowhereInTime on June 21, 2014, 10:39:42 PM
That's the one hundredth time you've made that lame ass, woe-is-me joke.

You're so stupid it hurts.

Obviously you're addicted to me, but alas, I am a proud straight man,  so you're just going to have to go on being the immature asshole you continue to prove yourself to be, and get the fuck over it, you fucking moron.

What's the matter, nitwit, your heyday of the 60's not turn out the way you hoped? You still wearing Birkenstocks trying to be somebody?

You going the threaten to meet me somewhere and beat me up again, you fucking pansy?

Your mother and father must want to kill themselves every time they are reminded you are their product. I actually have pity on their poor, obviously tormented, souls. Must have been PCBs in the water or something...

b_dubb

What happened to the Native Americans was horrible.  I wonder what America would be like if the tribes had listened to Tecumseh and united to fight the European invaders.

albrecht

Quote from: b_dubb on June 21, 2014, 11:43:48 PM
What happened to the Native Americans was horrible.  I wonder what America would be like if the tribes had listened to Tecumseh and united to fight the European invaders.
An interesting "what if." Most likely a relative stalemate in the various and sundry conflicts amongst the various tribes (though they also weren't "native" if the Clovis stuff, and land bridge stuff is right.) And, over time the more Eastern tribes, maybe taking over (or those from South American being more well organized moving up?)  But what if things like the horse, as one example, wasn't reintroduced. It would be worthy of a History Channel type "what if." They had their chances to develop and certainly all the resources (indeed MUCH more than Europeans) in natural resources, game, minerals, etc. But lost despite that.

ksm32

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 21, 2014, 10:05:19 PM

You want a hug. Come here chubby lemme gib u a beeeeeg squeeeeeze :)

b_dubb

Quote from: albrecht on June 22, 2014, 12:00:42 AM
Though they also weren't "native" if the Clovis stuff, and land bridge stuff is right.
I hope a dog soldier visits you in the night and drops some serious Red Power on your being

NOT natives. They migrated there thousands of years ago. You could say the same about Europeans and Asians. By your reasoning only Africans are actually natives

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 21, 2014, 10:56:04 PM
Obviously you're addicted to me, but alas, I am a proud straight man,  so you're just going to have to go on being the immature asshole you continue to prove yourself to be, and get the fuck over it, you fucking moron.

Proud? Honestly? Straight?; Do you mean if you could pay a woman enough to pop your cherry? As in a great deal of money so she could pay for the ongoing psychological help she'll need for the rest of her life, plus enough to give her a reasonable standard of living. 

What's the matter, nitwit, your heyday of the 60's not turn out the way you hoped? You still wearing Birkenstocks trying to be somebody?
You going the threaten to meet me somewhere and beat me up again, you fucking pansy?

Your mother and father must want to kill themselves every time they are reminded you are their product. I actually have pity on their poor, obviously tormented, souls. Must have been PCBs in the water or something...

Na na na na na...ya booo...and it's not fair. Go to your room Karl, go on, you can come out when you've calmed down and agreed to be good.

pate

Seems rather orderly and relatively peaceful to me...

irish immigrants arrving ellis island

I did not mean to derail the thread about Global Piece when I brought up the few countries that weren't included in the list... 

I think humanity is by nature a warlike species... so to find a peaceful nation amongst us all, must seem somehow wrong.

Ask 20,000 soldiers that hae fired a shot in anger and seen the same sent back.  My prediction is that you'll find most would happily never ever do the same or see anyone else have to.

Peace is a laudable goal, one we (as humans) should constantly strive for.  I think again we (as humans) should prepare and arm ourselves for those unfortunate times when the others around us do not share our dreams...

Little Hater

Tomatoes and green peppers are $2 a pound now. I hate to think what we'd have to pay if we had to hire Real Americans to pick 'em.

Quote from: pate on June 22, 2014, 05:06:06 AM
...  I think humanity is by nature a warlike species...

The peaceful tribes were wiped out thousands of years ago

pate

I knew that, I know that, I shed a tear for them, but they didn't win...

onan

Quote from: pate on June 22, 2014, 06:20:24 AM
I knew that, I know that, I shed a tear for them, but they didn't win...

So where does the line in the sand blur to the point of no line at all? Cause I want to shoot you and take your house. Maybe your wife and daughter.

pate

That's just the thing, I don't try to invite a war, I don't relish a war, but if one is fought under those conditions...  I guess I have to fight...

To channel the dead I youtube something I think I meant for a different thread:

Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough (With Lyrics)

The Dead Milkmen-You'll Dance To Anything

ANYHOW, I still think that if you interview 20,000 soldiers that received a shot in anger and returned fire in the same manner you'd find that most desire peace...  (I intentionally misquote myself because I fear that my point was missed...  After all, you have to survive to reminisce...  I never played Cull of Doody btw....)

edit: did anyone else try playing both of those at the same time?.?.?.

onan

I think your point is myopic. Yes of course the big guy with the club will win against the guy with no club. But there is, with most of us, an area of compromise. Not all of the time, but I would hope a majority of the time.

I don't play that doody game either.

pate

I am a bit frightened of responding to that statement right now...