• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: AppealPlay on April 24, 2018, 07:07:28 PM
Art was a drama queen.  Everything in his life was nuts.

They were pretty big.

weeberwubber

Quote from: LadyFish on April 24, 2018, 06:27:29 PM
And they probably didn’t let her play the bumper music that SHE had chosen for Art’s funeral either.

I'm picturing them telling her the funeral was Friday and "Yep, you take care of all that girl you're in charge! Go on, get busy!" when the funeral was actually on Thursday.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 24, 2018, 07:14:40 PM
They were pretty big.

the size of that lads nuts, absolute unit.

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 24, 2018, 07:06:07 PM
I haven’t heard anyone say she was even there.

I noticed that as well.  Early on she did say she was in charge of planning it though, or was it just the music?  I really hope Airyn put her in her place if she was overstepping.

GravitySucks

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 24, 2018, 07:22:04 PM
I noticed that as well.  Early on she did say she was in charge of planning it though, or was it just the music?  I really hope Airyn put her in her place if she was overstepping.

I haven’t heard anyone say if Keith was there either. He knew Art longer than anyone besides maybe Alan Corbett.

zeebo

Hey I have an honest question about Art.  Anyone know if he read alot?  I don't remember him talking much about books but he seemed to know alot about a wide range of things, so I'm curious.

ShayP

Quote from: zeebo on April 24, 2018, 08:35:27 PM
Hey I have an honest question about Art.  Anyone know if he read alot?  I don't remember him talking much about books but he seemed to know alot about a wide range of things, so I'm curious.

I've been binging lately on old Art Bell shows and I heard him mention what an avid reader he is (was).

GravitySucks

I remember him talking about books all the time. He definitely read TessGerritsen.

He quit high school in the tenth grade so he was mainly self-taught.

zeebo

Quote from: ShayP on April 24, 2018, 08:37:53 PM
I've been binging lately on old Art Bell shows and I heard him mention what an avid reader he is (was).

I'm blanking out on that for some reason.  I'm imagining though he was the type to read 3 different newspapers before his morning coffee.

ShayP

Quote from: zeebo on April 24, 2018, 08:50:50 PM
I'm blanking out on that for some reason.  I'm imagining though he was the type to read 3 different newspapers before his morning coffee.

I wish I could recall the show or the particular guest, however I'm quite sure I heard Art interject with "I'm an avid reader, always have been..." 

Wasn't there a photo of Asia standing in front of a well stocked bookshelf, with posters joking that she'd photo bombed our chance to see what Art was reading?

Sean92008

I think encouraging Keith to dump HW is for the best of the planet.  She needs to work on things in a padded cell, not an acoustically-tiled room.

Art Bell, trolling us from the other side.

ge30542

Quote from: weeberwubber on April 24, 2018, 07:16:47 PM
I'm picturing them telling her the funeral was Friday and "Yep, you take care of all that girl you're in charge! Go on, get busy!" when the funeral was actually on Thursday.
Very funny, probably true.

albrecht

Dean Koontz, I think. I recall he interviewed him and mentioned his like of the books. Though he also said he didn't read guest books before the interview so that the interview would be fresh and the author could explain his material.

DanTSX

Quote from: HumanBeing on April 24, 2018, 10:18:17 PM
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news/lost-in-space/article_eab5ccfc-847b-5860-93ec-7971dd09741c.html

How would Vincent know these allegations about Art were false outside of what his mom went through?  He was cut off and had no more info than anyone else

zeebo

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 24, 2018, 09:35:50 PM
Wasn't there a photo of Asia standing in front of a well stocked bookshelf, with posters joking that she'd photo bombed our chance to see what Art was reading?

Damn, I'm curious now.  Must've been more there than old ham radio mags.

CoolTen10

Oh my goodness...Art was a real piece of trash, but a Master of Radio. So which is better?

Sean92008

Quote from: CoolTen10 on April 24, 2018, 10:48:58 PM
Oh my goodness...Art was a real piece of trash, but a Master of Radio. So which is better?

No wonder Heather is so attracted to him.  Her taste in men...

Quote from: CoolTen10 on April 24, 2018, 10:48:58 PM
A lot of very talented people have absolutely fucked up personal lives.  Art was destined to be a radio legend, not a good father -- it is what it is. 

But wow, Vincent sure sounds like one bitter jaded fool.  To be "elated" by your own estranged father's death is pretty fucked up unless he was a mass murderer or something.  He sounds like somebody who is about to fight hard for daddy's cash now that he's gone... the lawyers have probably been waiting like vultures... and that's why he's so "elated".

GravitySucks

Quote from: creepygreenlight on April 24, 2018, 11:17:35 PM
A lot of very talented people have absolutely fucked up personal lives.  Art was destined to be a radio legend, not a good father -- it is what it is. 

But wow, Vincent sure sounds like one bitter jaded fool.  To be "elated" by your own estranged father's death is pretty fucked up unless he was a mass murderer or something.  He sounds like somebody who is about to fight hard for daddy's cash now that he's gone... the lawyers have probably been waiting like vultures... and that's why he's so "elated".

Anybody can sue anybody but he was adopted by his stepfather so I am not sure what claim he and his sister would have. And who knows what is in the will anyway.

Hells Mole

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 24, 2018, 05:22:42 PM
And Heather is quite pissed about it.  Heather thinks: How can they 'forget' Heather?  They must have done so on purpose to kick her when she is already going through so much.

In happier news. my copy of The Art of Talk came today!  Can't wait to read it.  I should have picked up a copy when you could have bought them all day long for $10 in the bargain bin. I paid over $100.  Won't be surprised in a few years if its $300 or $400.  That's what happened with all of R. Gary Patternson's books. 

Telly

God damnit I loved that guy's stories.  I didn't know he had died!  Damnit!!

Quote from: zeebo on April 24, 2018, 10:36:24 PM
Damn, I'm curious now.  Must've been more there than old ham radio mags.

I think this is the one I was thinking of, found it just now on an Art Bell appreciation Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=540939909287466&set=pb.100001143852663.-2207520000.1524634062.&type=3&size=852%2C639 

There were a few more similar photos in the photo section, but not taken as close to the bookshelf

https://www.facebook.com/ArtBell66

Sean92008

In happier news. my copy of The Art of Talk came today!  Can't wait to read it.  I should have picked up a copy when you could have bought them all day long for $10 in the bargain bin. I paid over $100.  Won't be surprised in a few years if its $300 or $400.  That's what happened with all of R. Gary Patternson's books. 

Telly

In 2005-2006 the Green Valley Ranch Library (next to the multigenerational center, great park & events complex in Henderson, Nevada had a book sale...

Art of Talk & The Source - generic autographs on both, soft cover on Art of Talk...  I don't remember The Source.

I think they were $1 each...  I didn't bother.  I knew people who saw him frequently in Pahrump...  Thought nothing of it... 

If you are ever near there, check it out.  Beautiful library.  Nice reading room with windows facing northward viewing the valley.

zeebo

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 24, 2018, 11:31:05 PM
I think this is the one I was thinking of, found it just now on an Art Bell appreciation Facebook page....

Thanks man I'm not on FB (well one time I was on it for 20 mins until I saw two ex-gf's and then freaked out).  Anyway I'll see if I can temporarily find a way in through a friend sometime.

ONeill

And Heather is quite pissed about it.  Heather thinks: How can they 'forget' Heather?  They must have done so on purpose to kick her when she is already going through so much.

Telly

I got mine in 2014 for 3$ + shipping (3.50$). It is a copy with a signed sticker. And it was only that expensive because I needed delivery to Europe and few vendors did that. If you were in the US you could get a copy for a few cents back then.

The histrionic rants don't really help Vincent's case. We know Art is a deeply flawed human being. I think he wouldn't have been Art and wouldn't have had the talent, magnetism, and the impact he had if he wasn't slightly nuts. His flaws were as big a part of who he was and what he was as his strengths. We don't like Art because he was a saint, we liked him because he was a radio genius.

I feel bad for Vincent but he is a far worse enemy to himself than Art ever was. His bitterness, anger, and hatred will prevent him from ever finding peace and closure and that is truly sad.

Where is that meme about Art leaving to buy cigarettes 25 years ago when you need it?

Telly

It was a stroke of luck for me that I bought good condition second hand signed copies of both Art of Talk and The Quickening on the cheap not even two years ago. So thankful to have them at this point.

Quote from: zeebo on April 24, 2018, 11:41:20 PM
Thanks man I'm not on FB (well one time I was on it for 20 mins until I saw two ex-gf's and then freaked out).  Anyway I'll see if I can temporarily find a way in through a friend sometime.

The site's not public?

Here's the pic: