• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coffee Lovers, Voice Your Opinion!

Started by Mordred478, October 31, 2008, 02:54:45 AM

Caruthers612

I am in the process of rediscovering the joys and woes of coffee. I would like to know which types of coffee y'all enjoy, where you purchase it from, your favorite ways of preparing it, etc. The Vicar of Dibley referred to coffee as the Broth of Satan, and right she was, too. I myself am the devil Belial, and I bestow upon the world some of the strongest Colombian bean which, mixed with enough sugar, is guaranteed to send one on a shooting spree in a Wendy's.

M

Pure Jamaican Blue Mountain - none of that blend crap.  And Barzula espresso.  Nowadays I'm more apt to get my caffeine from Hydroxycut Hardcore and NO-Xplode.

Frys Girl

Ok. I like the Bird blend from Seattle Roast. Part of the revenue helps birds. It also tastes good. But maybe my tongue is influenced by that happy information. No bird jokes please! Also, I hate twitter, except that Ashley Todd twittered everything on there.

Dyna-X

All served black with just a tsp. of sugar per roughly every 12 oz.
Brewed at Home: No fancy brewing just a 30-year old Mr. Coffee
Folger's Classic (the red can - now a red plastic tub)

Brewed Away:
7-11 Regular Exclusive (sounds like an oxymoron - but the best of all of these. Insist on a new pot if its been sitting more than an hour.
McDonald's House

Instant:bring water to near boil
Nescafe Taster's Choice - House Blend

On the flipside anything dark roast just tastes like over roasted drek. I'd drink Starbucks in an emergency if I had a caffeine withdrawal headache coming on and nothing else was around.

Rix Gins

Enjoying a 'cup of joe' in 1956's 5 Steps to Danger. 

Keurig single serve cups. Any flavor. And Sello Rojo Colombian coffee (ground coffee). Also Trader Joe's Bay Blend coffee.

WOTR

Quote from: ShayP on May 04, 2017, 04:36:02 PM
Always been a fan of Illy.

I usually go for the lighter roasts, but gunsmoke, if you are a darker roast (and blend) kind of person...  Their single estate coffees change every month or two, and seem to be particularly sparse right now...
https://www.fratellocoffee.com/store/coffee/dark-coffee/gunsmoke/

ShayP

Quote from: WOTR on May 04, 2017, 10:30:52 PM
I usually go for the lighter roasts, but gunsmoke, if you are a darker roast (and blend) kind of person...  Their single estate coffees change every month or two, and seem to be particularly sparse right now...
https://www.fratellocoffee.com/store/coffee/dark-coffee/gunsmoke/

Oh yeah.  I'm interested.  :)  I may try one of their teas as well.   8)

zeebo

My coffee intake has expanded to twice daily indulgences.  In the mornings I like a nice full-bodied, smoky/nutty Colombian dark roast.  In the afternoons I prefer a milder, sweeter, more herbal choice from somewhere in Africa or Indonesia. 

Dr. MD MD

This has become one of my favorites. Strong but not overly acidic. It has a mellow, sweet flavor but a really decent caffeine kick.  ;)

Homeroasted single origin espresso is life.

akwilly

I used to drink tons of coffee, nothing fancy just Folgers. I heard about a baseball player that went on the DL because of vision problems that were traced to his caffeine intake. I too was having similar issues so I switched to one cup a day with half decaf. I can say it worked for me and hope to go decaf only in the near future

Jackstar

Quote from: akwilly on May 06, 2017, 02:11:56 PM
I used to drink tons of coffee, nothing fancy just Folgers.

Why don't you read about the pesticides that are commonly used worldwide to grow coffee, and then get yourself some proper quality organic?

Is it because you don't it doesn't come in a box?

akwilly

Quote from: Jackstar on May 06, 2017, 02:14:43 PM
Why don't you read about the pesticides that are commonly used worldwide to grow coffee, and then get yourself some proper quality organic?

Is it because you don't it doesn't come in a box?
the Folgers containers are very handy for things I won't mention on this thread

Laurakinch

Best organic I've found for the price
Costco/ Kirkland brand

Rix Gins

I want some of Robby the Robot's coffee.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 06, 2017, 03:07:18 PM
I want some of Robby the Robot's coffee.

He made damn fine coffee for a robot with no elbows.  ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 06, 2017, 03:10:48 PM
He made damn fine coffee for a robot with no elbows.  ;)

Yup.  Not bad once you get past that oily aftertaste.

K_Dubb

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 06, 2017, 01:45:45 PM

Homeroasted single origin espresso is life.

Yes home-roasted is where it's at, though I just do pour-over.  I can't attest to my technique and since I am always trying different beans and roasts can't claim any kind of consistency, but I have never looked (or I guess tasted) more critically at commercial roasts.  I've made a lot of regrettable coffee, but for a year or more now like what I make better than anything I can get in easy reach, so I guess that's progress.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2017, 03:34:03 PM
Yes home-roasted is where it's at, though I just do pour-over.  I can't attest to my technique and since I am always trying different beans and roasts can't claim any kind of consistency, but I have never looked (or I guess tasted) more critically at commercial roasts.  I've made a lot of regrettable coffee, but for a year or more now like what I make better than anything I can get in easy reach, so I guess that's progress.
I had relatives who did this.
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/coffee-traditions-how-to-make-scandinavian-egg-coffee.html
http://blog.khymos.org/2010/08/04/norwegian-egg-coffee/

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 06, 2017, 04:04:39 PM
I had relatives who did this.
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/coffee-traditions-how-to-make-scandinavian-egg-coffee.html
http://blog.khymos.org/2010/08/04/norwegian-egg-coffee/

Ha yeah that is old school.  I think it's more for what we call hobo coffee or perc coffee.  My Tante Ragna, who prided herself in being very cosmopolitan and grew up in Oslo, used to keep a little jar of instant in her purse to stir in whenever she was visiting and offered one of those too-light, overboiled Midwest-style brews.