• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Rix Gins

Postmarked April 12, 1911.  A one cent Ben Franklin stamp that was produced in 1910 and 11.  The stamp is worth 25 cents used and $10.50 unused.  Could not locate this particular postcard online. 

Rix Gins

Yet another Canadian postcard...this one mailed back in July of 1912.  I'm willing to bet that there are some Canadian (and a few American) Bellgabbers that have been to this place.  Vancouver, BC's Stanley Park.  What a beautiful place.  I'd really like to see it someday.  It has been around since the eighteen hundreds.  The people of Vancouver are wise and they have managed to keep the place ecologically sound and pretty much the same ever since the park was first opened.  (No small feat, given that Stanley Park is BIG.)  Frederick Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby (for whom the park is named) dedicated the park back in 1889.  Yup, that's the same dude who gave us hockey lovers the Stanley Cup.  Busy guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park

A neat postmark tells us that the Vancouver Mid-Summer Fair will be coming up on Aug. 10/17, 1912.   

Rix Gins

A photo postcard of a typical British soldier from World War One.  Not sure which year of the war the photograph was taken.  As you can see, this is an unused postcard so there is no information to be got from it.  Come to think of it though, the postcard was made in Canada, so perhaps a Canadian soldier? 

Rix Gins

A nicely colorized postcard made in France.  Other than that, nothing known about it because it was never used.  Whoever had it at one time glued it into a scrapbook or album.

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 24, 2016, 02:42:21 PM
A nicely colorized postcard made in France.  Other than that, nothing known about it because it was never used.  Whoever had it at one time glued it into a scrapbook or album.

Are you sure it's glue?

Rix Gins

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 24, 2016, 07:34:38 PM
Are you sure it's glue?

Actually what you see there is some very old scrapbook paper that stuck to the card when it was pulled out of the scrapbook.  Click on it (if you dare) and you can see the paper fibers. 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 18, 2016, 06:17:02 PM
Yet another Canadian postcard...this one mailed back in July of 1912.  I'm willing to bet that there are some Canadian (and a few American) Bellgabbers that have been to this place.  Vancouver, BC's Stanley Park.  What a beautiful place.  I'd really like to see it someday.  It has been around since the eighteen hundreds.  The people of Vancouver are wise and they have managed to keep the place ecologically sound and pretty much the same ever since the park was first opened.  (No small feat, given that Stanley Park is BIG.)  Frederick Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby (for whom the park is named) dedicated the park back in 1889.  Yup, that's the same dude who gave us hockey lovers the Stanley Cup.  Busy guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park

A neat postmark tells us that the Vancouver Mid-Summer Fair will be coming up on Aug. 10/17, 1912.
I think Stanley Park was going to be the source of the small animal attacks on people circa a few years ago when Ian hosted the New Years prediction show. It was quite a detailed, and hilarious, prediction in which small animals, like beavers, would start to attack humans. Ian tried to lead the  guy on 'bears etc' but he was adamant- small animals like beavers, squirrels, etc. A hilarious prediction show where another guy claimed 'King Midas' was in the Palladium.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on August 27, 2016, 05:13:28 PM
I think Stanley Park was going to be the source of the small animal attacks on people circa a few years ago when Ian hosted the New Years prediction show. It was quite a detailed, and hilarious, prediction in which small animals, like beavers, would start to attack humans. Ian tried to lead the  guy on 'bears etc' but he was adamant- small animals like beavers, squirrels, etc. A hilarious prediction show where another guy claimed 'King Midas' was in the Palladium.

Haha.  I remember one of Art's prediction shows where an old geezer called up to say that a swarm of killer bees would attack a sewer plant.  Come to think of it, I think it was the same guy who a year or so later, predicted that a bulldozer would take out a water treatment facility.  "Oh, that's quite a prediction,"  I remember Art saying.  "How did you come up with that?  "Oh," the old guy replied, "It just hit me all at once."  I think I was the only person who laughed.  Art didn't catch it.  'Bulldozer'--'Hit me'  anyway... 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 27, 2016, 06:46:13 PM
Haha.  I remember one of Art's prediction shows where an old geezer called up to say that a swarm of killer bees would attack a sewer plant.  Come to think of it, I think it was the same guy who a year or so later, predicted that a bulldozer would take out a water treatment facility.  "Oh, that's quite a prediction,"  I remember Art saying.  "How did you come up with that?  "Oh," the old guy replied, "It just hit me all at once."  I think I was the only person who laughed.  Art didn't catch it.  'Bulldozer'--'Hit me'  anyway...
Good times. He/She is under threat of 'dark forces'...'ok'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKUfT7HWzl8

Rix Gins

This postcard has definitely seen better days.  Not surprising when you consider that it goes back to 1918, and was most likely written in Germany during World War One.  There is a message on the back but I couldn't decipher it.  Just couldn't comprehend the writer's penmanship.  I did better on the front.  Oddly enough, it appears to be a birthday card.  "Best regards and wishes for a happy birthday.'  Sure doesn't look very 'birthday' in nature now, does it?  I couldn't find a name or address on the back either.  I believe that the date is April 28, 1918.  Still almost seven more months of war to go.   

Hi Rix.
Would it be alright if I posted a cigarette card with a link to the rest of them ?
They're pretty cool.
From the website:

Historical Dandies: British Cigarette Cards (1932)
By Karen Strike on 2 July 2016

Historical Dandies is a set of cigarette cards created by the Nottingham’s John Player & sons in 1932. The paintings are by Christopher Clark (1875â€"1942). The characters depicted were famous faces who exhibited a sense of dash and style in their dress and manner.

Rix Gins

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on August 27, 2016, 07:53:29 PM
Hi Rix.
Would it be alright if I posted a cigarette card with a link to the rest of them ?
They're pretty cool.
From the website:

Historical Dandies: British Cigarette Cards (1932)
By Karen Strike on 2 July 2016

Historical Dandies is a set of cigarette cards created by the Nottingham’s John Player & sons in 1932. The paintings are by Christopher Clark (1875â€"1942). The characters depicted were famous faces who exhibited a sense of dash and style in their dress and manner.

Absolutely!  Would be happy to see it.  Thanks, Logan.

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 27, 2016, 09:12:01 PM
Absolutely!  Would be happy to see it.  Thanks, Logan.
Awesome !   Thank you. :)

Here's one everyone knows. Although if i posted some of the more obscure, albeit interesting ones, there's a couple of people here that would recognize them straight-away.   ;)

The link to the rest of them:

http://flashbak.com/historical-dandies-british-cigarette-cards-1932-63762/

Rix Gins

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on August 28, 2016, 01:16:19 AM
Awesome !   Thank you. :)

Here's one everyone knows. Although if i posted some of the more obscure, albeit interesting ones, there's a couple of people here that would recognize them straight-away.   ;)

The link to the rest of them:

http://flashbak.com/historical-dandies-british-cigarette-cards-1932-63762/

Wow.  Now those are really cool, and informational too.  Would have been fun to read while smoking the first cig. out of the pack.  Dandies...they remind me of one of my favorite movies, The Scarlet Pimpernel (the one starring Leslie Howard.) But I digress.  Thanks for the fun link, Logan.   

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 28, 2016, 02:42:26 AM
Wow.  Now those are really cool, and informational too.  Would have been fun to read while smoking the first cig. out of the pack.  Dandies...they remind me of one of my favorite movies, The Scarlet Pimpernel (the one starring Leslie Howard.) But I digress.  Thanks for the fun link, Logan.
Thank you Rix, it was my pleasure. :)

Rix Gins

Another unused linen style postcard, probably from the 1950's.  Interestingly, the back of the card directs one to place a one cent stamp on it. It also states that the postcard was 'MADE IN THE USA.' 

Rix Gins

This postcard shows California's Morro Rock.  Plus there is a message from a lady artist who likes to paint while her husband plays in golf tournaments.  She wrote the message on January 9, 1955 and it was mailed the next day.  That's a two cent Liberty Series stamp.  The Liberty Series stamps were printed from 1954 to 1968.  Newer photo of Morro Rock down below. (Wikipedia) 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 31, 2016, 07:14:46 PM
This postcard shows California's Morro Rock.  Plus there is a message from a lady artist who likes to paint while her husband plays in golf tournaments.  She wrote the message on January 9, 1955 and it was mailed the next day.  That's a two cent Liberty Series stamp.  The Liberty Series stamps were printed from 1954 to 1968.  Newer photo of Morro Rock down below. (Wikipedia)
Sort of reminds of the 'rock' near me, beautiful vistas also though with the ocean involved that one looks really good.

from wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchanted_Rock
lots of fun legends and stories about it including this one, Norry would seize on it!
'Revered by native tribes as a holy portal to other worlds'

Rix Gins

Wish I had more postcards like this one of the Tugboat Tatoosh saving the Washington.  Here's the story on it...
http://offbeatoregon.com/1510c.tatoosh-rescues-steam-schooner.361.html

At first I thought this was an original real-photo postcard but it looks like it is a reproduction, albeit a rather old one.  The Tatoosh saved the Washington back in 1912 while the  postal cancellation stamp dates to August of 1943.

That's a one cent commemorative 'Industry-Agriculture FOR DEFENSE' stamp that was printed back in 1940.  Worth 30 cents new and twenty cents used.

The message is from Cora.  Nice to know that Emmett is feeling more himself.   

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 03, 2016, 08:18:30 PM
Wish I had more postcards like this one of the Tugboat Tatoosh saving the Washington.  Here's the story on it...
http://offbeatoregon.com/1510c.tatoosh-rescues-steam-schooner.361.html

At first I thought this was an original real-photo postcard but it looks like it is a reproduction, albeit a rather old one.  The Tatoosh saved the Washington back in 1912 while the  postal cancellation stamp dates to August of 1943.

That's a one cent commemorative "Industry-Agriculture FOR DEFENSE' stamp that was printed back in 1940.  Worth 30 cents new and twenty cents used.

The message is from Cora.  Nice to know that Emmett is feeling more himself.

Nice one, Rix!  The story is a new one to me.  I like the lady leading songs.

The spectators sanguinely looking on remind me of stories of coastal wreckers in certain parts of England awaiting their chance to salvage the cargo.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 03, 2016, 08:27:03 PM
Nice one, Rix!  The story is a new one to me.  I like the lady leading songs.

The spectators sanguinely looking on remind me of stories of coastal wreckers in certain parts of England awaiting their chance to salvage the cargo.

Yeah, men's fashions sure haven't progressed much from the 1906 San Fran Earthquake, huh?.  haha  Did you notice the source credit for that article?  James Gibbs, who wrote a number of books on Pacific Northwest ship wrecks.  The books were loaded with pics.  I had three or four of them and I'm hoping that they are still up in the attic, buried in a box, but actually I'm afraid that they probably fell victim to some long ago yard sale.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 03, 2016, 08:40:19 PM
Yeah, men's fashions sure haven't progressed much from the 1906 San Fran Earthquake, huh?.  haha  Did you notice the source credit for that article?  James Gibbs, who wrote a number of books on Pacific Northwest ship wrecks.  The books were loaded with pics.  I had three or four of them and I'm hoping that they are still up in the attic, buried in a box, but actually I'm afraid that they fell victim to some long ago yard sale.

Haha no they haven't.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm sure my dad has those books somewhere; I will check his bookshelves next time I'm over.

Rix Gins

Bass Lake, California. Looks like a beautiful lake for sure, though the postcard is just three years away from being 80 years old.  Of course Wikipedia has a more recent picture of the place as seen below.  The cancellation mark only had July 18, 19-- as a date so I had to look up the stamp, which turned out to be a 1939, two cent Presidential coil stamp of President John Adams.  Why is it called a coil stamp?  Well, the stamps were connected together at the sides (where the perforations are) and they came in a tight roll, so if you were at the post office and needed five, two cent stamps, then the postal clerk would go to his roll of two cent stamps and reel five of them off the roll.  That's why the top and bottom are smooth, because they would be at both sides of the roll...or coil in postal language.

Nice quick message on the back.  I like how the guy recorded the temperature of the water and the air.   

Rix Gins

This postcard is dated September 24, 1917 and it appears to be from a soldier who journeyed to France in order to help with the movement of men and supplies during World War One.  C.F. Condon, I believe his name is.  Sergeant and a bugler, perhaps?  He was with the 18th Engineers, Railway in Bordeaux.   

Rix Gins

Here is a colorful linen type postcard showing a row of Royal Poinciana trees in Florida.  The postcard was mailed back in 1943, the midway point in America's involvement in World War Two, and there is a message type cancellation mark over the stamp urging everyone to BUY WAR SAVINGS BONDS AND STAMPS.

I couldn't find a present day location for this row of trees but a picture frame outfit points out that it is a photo taken at Fort Myers, Florida - First Street and they call it 'Royal Poinciana Trees Flowering Amidst Royal Palms, c.1948.'  (They have the year wrong, as noted above, the postcard was mailed in 1943.)  They have an enlarged print of the original photo and they would be happy to frame it for me.  The framed photo is priced anywhere from $100.00 to $350.00 depending on the size frame I want.  Or I can get an unframed photo of the trees for $29.99.    http://www.art.com/products/p15571293-sa-i3783171/fort-myers-florida-first-street-royal-poinciana-trees-flowering-amidst-royal-palms-c-1948.htm

But no thanks, I'll just stick with the postcard.

Rix Gins

A long ago lady standing on a wooden pathway with her ghostly dog on the porch.  She must have mailed the card inside an envelope, thus no stamp.  Too bad...could have dated the photo by it.   

Rix Gins

I enjoy these linen type postcards of Florida, especially the night scene ones because the moon and clouds glow so nicely.  This is Lake Hollingsworth in Lakeland, Florida.  The postcard was mailed sometime in the 60's.  The stamp is a 3 cent Liberty Series one and the government printed it from 1954 to 1968. 

I tried to locate the scene but couldn't find any similar pics online so I hopped into my Google car and 'drove' there.  The photo below might be it but it's off in the distance, to the right of center.  Note the white bird down there on the traffic island.

Rix Gins

I don't know where this unusual tree is located.  As we can see, it's a bent tree whose branches have taken on the shape of individual trees.  There are seven of these 'trees' and they are called the Seven Oak Sisters.  There is a big oak tree in Mandeville, Louisiana that is called the Seven Sisters Oak but it is a different tree.  The one on the postcard is out in the country somewhere and it arches over a dirt road.  The oak in Louisiana is growing by somebodies house. 

The postcard was mailed from King City, California on June 30.  I couldn't find a year, so I looked the stamp up.  The one cent Benjamin Franklin stamp was printed from 1922 to 1925.  On closer examination of the stamp, I noticed a small year stamped right on the stamp.  At first I thought it was 1925 but it kind of looks more like 1929, so the person who mailed it probably had some extra stamps from 1922/25 tucked away somewhere.

Last photo below is of that tree in Louisiana.   

Rix Gins

A nice cluster of sun ripened grapefruit ready to pick, peel and eat.  I wonder if they still grow lots of grapefruit in Florida?

This postcard goes back to the year 1925.  I'm guessing that Margaret sent the card to her mom in Dubuque, Iowa.  She wrote it in Tampa on December 14th and mailed it on the 16th. 

We can't talk to her of course, and ask her what life was like back then.  But we can go back to the year 1925 and see some things that she might have been aware of.  Such as...

Benito Mussolini gave a speech to the Chamber of Deputies, in which he dared them to remove him from power.  (Many historians think that this was the start of his dictatorship.)  He also took responsibility for the actions of his Blackshirts.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackshirts

There was a big earthquake up in Canada.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1925_Charlevoix%E2%80%93Kamouraska_earthquake

Baseball player Christopher "Christy" Mathewson passed away on October 7th.  (He had served in WWI in the Chemical Service, and was accidentally gassed.  He was dogged with tuberculosis for the rest of his life.)       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Mathewson

Also, there was a big parade in Washington DC, put on by 40,000 members of the KKK,  F. Scott Fitzgerald published The Great Gatsby, Adolf Hitler published volume one of Mein Kampf, and The Grand Ole Opry radio program was first broadcast on WSM radio in Nashville, Tennessee.