Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: maureen on December 01, 2013, 01:20:29 PM
Now, where did I put that 19:50?

It's between 19:49 and 19:51...

go look, now!

maureen

oh, thank you!! my eyes are what they used to be!

Marc.Knight

•4 large, fresh eggs, measured in a jug
•Equal quantity of milk to eggs
•Equal quantity of all purpose/plain flour to eggs
•Pinch of salt
•2 tbsp lard, beef dripping or vegetable oil

•Heat the oven to the highest temperature possible, however, do not exceed 450F/230C or the fat may burn.
•Pour the eggs and milk into a large mixing bowl and add the pinch of salt. Whisk thoroughly with an electric hand beater or hand whisk. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
•Gradually sieve the same volume of flour (as the eggs) into the milk and egg mixture, again using an electric hand beater or hand-whisk to create a lump free batter resembling thick cream, if there are any lumps pass the batter through a fine sieve.
•Leave the batter to rest in the kitchen for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible - up to several hours.
•Place a pea-sized piece of lard, dripping or ½ tsp vegetable oil into your chosen tin, or a 4 x 2"/5cm hole tin or 12-hole muffin tin and heat in the oven until the fat is smoking. Give the batter another good whisk adding 2 tbsps of cold water and fill a third of each section of the tin with batter and return quickly to the oven.
•Leave to cook until golden brown approx 20 minutes. Repeat the last step again until all the batter is used up.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Philosopher on December 01, 2013, 01:35:13 PM
•4 large, fresh eggs, measured in a jug
•Equal quantity of milk to eggs
•Equal quantity of all purpose/plain flour to eggs
•Pinch of salt
•2 tbsp lard, beef dripping or vegetable oil

•Heat the oven to the highest temperature possible, however, do not exceed 450F/230C or the fat may burn.
•Pour the eggs and milk into a large mixing bowl and add the pinch of salt. Whisk thoroughly with an electric hand beater or hand whisk. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
•Gradually sieve the same volume of flour (as the eggs) into the milk and egg mixture, again using an electric hand beater or hand-whisk to create a lump free batter resembling thick cream, if there are any lumps pass the batter through a fine sieve.
•Leave the batter to rest in the kitchen for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible - up to several hours.
•Place a pea-sized piece of lard, dripping or ½ tsp vegetable oil into your chosen tin, or a 4 x 2"/5cm hole tin or 12-hole muffin tin and heat in the oven until the fat is smoking. Give the batter another good whisk adding 2 tbsps of cold water and fill a third of each section of the tin with batter and return quickly to the oven.
•Leave to cook until golden brown approx 20 minutes. Repeat the last step again until all the batter is used up.

Language, speaking my, you are... ;D
Other than my grandmother would have taken a dim view of having to use a sieve.

Oh and don't open the oven door before they're done, or they'll fall flat.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 12:59:38 PM

Only steel type wasn't used...lead type was (with antimony added) . And Guttenberg presses were superceded long before you'd be using presses. I only know because I've been in the printing industry almost all my working life. Steel isn't used for imagine reproduction in litho, letterpress or screenprinting, however it is used in pad printing...

So exactly what do you mean by 'we printed'?

Ok, as always you're certain to jump on ANY mistake I make. I worked on the school newspaper in both jr high school and high school and they were lead type. I can remember to make sure I didn't burn myself by getting too close to the molten type as we made it ourselves in the print shop area and the presses were called gutenberg presses. what they actually were NAMED after 47 years, I can't remember. its what we all called them as slang. put the type in the wooden form, lock it in, roll the ink on the press and start printing. I still know how to make a bindery press as well. The type was called linotype and we were also using varitype wheels to print out fonts. Of course, what YOU may call it is somewhat irrelevant. I used to know the name of the print shop teacher and it will probably come to me around 3 am one of these nights. I do recall the names of my pe, typing, and history teachers and went to one of my pe teachers funerals.
Marina Jr. High 1964-66, Galileo High 1967-68. Both in San Francisco. I lost my yearbooks in a fire in my apartment in 1977 or I could look them up. I still have my graduation tassel somewhere and my report cards as well.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Falkie2013 on December 01, 2013, 01:42:46 PM
Ok, as always you're certain to jump on ANY mistake I make. I worked on the school newspaper in both jr high school and high school and they were lead type. I can remember to make sure I didn't burn myself by getting too close to the molten type as we made it ourselves in the print shop area and the presses were called gutenberg presses. what they actually were NAMED after 47 years, I can't remember. its what we all called them as slang. put the type in the wooden form, lock it in, roll the ink on the press and start printing. I still know how to make a bindery press as well.

Not any mistake Falkie; it's a fundamental part of letterpress to use lead, you know that.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Philosopher on December 01, 2013, 01:42:25 PM
How to make Yorkshire puddings - BBC GoodFood.com - BBC Food

So what are you waiting for? Go and make some...all of you colonials.. If we exported one good thing, it was Yorkshire pudding.  :)

Marc.Knight

A few days ago I found out that I attended the same university as the president of Iran.  No wonder we both like scones.

maureen

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 01:46:45 PM

So what are you waiting for? Go and make some...all of you colonials.. If we exported one good thing, it was Yorkshire pudding.  :)
... and crumpets and Monty Python!!

Falkie2013

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 01:45:12 PM
Not any mistake Falkie; it's a fundamental part of letterpress to use lead, you know that.

I meant lead but typed steel.

But this is what we used. If I find the ones we used to print, I'll post a picture. We even had hand operated presses.
At one time when I was going to school in Las Vegas I even helped out in a shop that printed blueprints. I can still smell the chemicals if I think about it.
We had big bins of loose type, and even entire words and sentences that we would use a lot like the name of the school and the logo of the school and its paper as well. All set in to the block one letter at a time.
And I remembered the name of my teacher, Mr. D'Ambrosia.

http://livingnewdeal.berkeley.edu/projects/marina-junior-high-school-san-francisco-ca/

https://mms-sfusd-ca.schoolloop.com/

The Marina Middle School Building
Constructed in 1936, the Marina Middle School building was designed by the acclaimed architecture duo of George Kelham and William Day. Originally called Marina Junior High, the school boosts beautiful art deco details throughout that are reminiscent of other Kelham projects in the Bay Area including the original Main Public Library (now the Asian Art Museum), the UC Berkeley School of Life Science, HAAS Pavilion, and the Treasure Island International Exhibition Building. The school was the recipient of upgrades in 2007 (Prop A funding) and the yard was resurfaced during the summer of 2012.

That yard was always full of seagulls at lunchtime looking for handouts or discarded pieces of sandwiches. The Bay being about 5 or 6 blocks away.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

maureen

Quote from: Falkie2013 on December 01, 2013, 02:08:28 PM

But this is what we used. If I find the ones we used to print, I'll post a picture. We even had hand operated presses.
At one time when I was going to school in Las Vegas I even helped out in a shop that printed blueprints. I can still smell the chemicals if I think about it.
We had big bins of loose type, and even entire words and sentences that we would use a lot like the name of the school and the logo of the school and its paper as well. All set in to the block one letter at a time.
And I remembered the name of my teacher, Mr. D'Ambrosia.

http://livingnewdeal.berkeley.edu/projects/marina-junior-high-school-san-francisco-ca/

https://mms-sfusd-ca.schoolloop.com/

The Marina Middle School Building
Constructed in 1936, the Marina Middle School building was designed by the acclaimed architecture duo of George Kelham and William Day. Originally called Marina Junior High, the school boosts beautiful art deco details throughout that are reminiscent of other Kelham projects in the Bay Area including the original Main Public Library (now the Asian Art Museum), the UC Berkeley School of Life Science, HAAS Pavilion, and the Treasure Island International Exhibition Building. The school was the recipient of upgrades in 2007 (Prop A funding) and the yard was resurfaced during the summer of 2012.

That yard was always full of seagulls at lunchtime looking for handouts or discarded pieces of sandwiches. The Bay being about 5 or 6 blocks away.
nice bit of history there, Falkie!! cool

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Falkie2013 on December 01, 2013, 02:08:28 PM

Do you know the man who invented the Lynotype/Intertype machines took 20 years to do so, and killed himself when he'd finished?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: maureen on December 01, 2013, 01:59:45 PM
... and crumpets and Monty Python!!

crumpets; simply oozing with butter, dahlink. Perfect.

maureen

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 02:31:55 PM
crumpets; simply oozing with butter, dahlink. Perfect.
oooh! don't be cruel!! I can't get crumpets in Mexico so I'll have to learn to make my own!!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: maureen on December 01, 2013, 02:44:16 PM
oooh! don't be cruel!! I can't get crumpets in Mexico so I'll have to learn to make my own!!

Oh that's a shame; I can get em easily... yeah, a shame...

maureen

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 02:46:07 PM
Oh that's a shame; I can get em easily... yeah, a shame...
..but then again there are crumpets and nice bits of crumpet, aren't there? ;D

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: maureen on December 01, 2013, 02:54:27 PM
..but then again there are crumpets and nice bits of crumpet, aren't there? ;D

Madam! You'll have me blushing.

bateman

I'm interviewing Richard Hoagland in a few minutes, so if anyone has any questions for him, you can post 'em in this thread: http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5028.210

starrmtn001

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on November 30, 2013, 11:39:44 PM
Yes it will have a nice spot in the heated/ac garage next to my 2015 Mercedes-Benz McLaren P-13...Ted Bell owner of Ted's of Beverly Hills Steakhouse and I will be the first two owners in the US sometime in Feb when the boat pulls in the harbor in Port Elizabeth in NJ.

Jocko.  Is this really you??? 

maureen

Quote from: bateman on December 01, 2013, 02:58:59 PM
I'm interviewing Richard Hoagland in a few minutes, so if anyone has any questions for him, you can post 'em in this thread: http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5028.210
well done, Bateman!

Yorkshire pud

For real? Ask him why he doesn't use science; or why he doesn't acknowledge scientists who do know about science and dismantle his crap and then he doesn't retract his bullshit 'research'? What about setting up a discussion with Dr Stuart Robbins as well as Hoagland? That'll be fun...

bateman

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 03:08:25 PM
For real? Ask him why he doesn't use science; or why he doesn't acknowledge scientists who do know about science and dismantle his crap and then he doesn't retract his bullshit 'research'? What about setting up a discussion with Dr Stuart Robbins as well as Hoagland? That'll be fun...

For reals. I can put your question into more, er, diplomatic terms, but being the odd man out in terms of what's generally taken as scientific fact is perfectly valid to ask about.

maureen

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 03:08:25 PM
... and why do people who disagree with him have an "agenda"?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: maureen on December 01, 2013, 03:14:01 PM
... and why do people who disagree with him have an "agenda"?

Tsk; cos they just do, okay? They're not twuuu, they're not believers, they're all working for NASA and as we all know, NASA are all reptilian disnfo agents, and all of them sacrifice puppies (cue cute puppy photo), and eat the livers from dead voles.

maureen

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 01, 2013, 03:17:31 PM

Tsk; cos they just do, okay? They're not twuuu, they're not believers, they're all working for NASA and as we all know, NASA are all reptilian disnfo agents, and all of them sacrifice puppies (cue cute puppy photo), and eat the livers from dead voles.
;) Merovingian reptoids!

aldousburbank

Ask him about the secret messages in his hair?