• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Usagi on July 14, 2013, 07:50:13 PM
They have the Holy Grail Ale at the QFC that I practically live in here in Seattle.  Complete with a ceramic collectors cup.  For some reason I haven't tried it... perhaps I should remedy this situation... today...

Wow, really?  How cool.  We'll have to plan a trip up there soon.   With all these alcohol posts, I probably sound like the board lush, but I'm just really particular about what I drink lol.  Wish I could have said the same about when I was a kid.  Then, anything went.  I remember the first time I tried a Guinness, I almost gagged and then I poured it all down the drain.   :'(

ziznak

Quote from: lonevoice on July 13, 2013, 06:04:27 PM
ziznak,  I get that you avatar is an antique crate label, but what is it that you like about it?
ahhh jeeez.... I really didnt think that avy out.  It's a trainwreck radio ref from the last show.  It was not meant to offend nor does it have anything to do with how i feel about treyvon martin

I'm seriously contemplating killing all this leftover miller lite from friday.

Friday night was home recording some music with miller lite and yeager shots... saturday day was hangover

Saturday night was blockparty with yuck coors light, some smirnoff girly shit (not too many) and at least 8 shots of tequilla and 2 jello shots.

Sunday day... no hangover? although I have had a serious cold set in recently

Usagi

My husband spends a lot of time with Czech people, so we've usually been grabbing Czech beers lately.  A good easy to find one is Krusovice.  The dark ale is nice.  Honestly, there are so many good microbrews and semi-micros in the region that you can almost close your eyes and pick something decent.  I've kinda gotten over fruity ones, though.

Usagi

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 14, 2013, 07:56:08 PM
Wow, really?  How cool.  We'll have to plan a trip up there soon.

U Village QFC by the UW Campus.  You can plan a shopping trip and guarantee some Holy Grail. ;p

[I must say... this conversation doesn't annoy me.  Is this off-topic?]

lonevoice

Quote from: ziznak on July 14, 2013, 07:56:59 PM
ahhh jeeez.... I really didnt think that avy out.  It's a trainwreck radio ref from the last show.  It was not meant to offend nor does it have anything to do with how i feel about treyvon martin

It did seem out of character for you, ziz.    I'm glad that's so. 

Don't tell anyone, but I know absolutely nothing about beer.  The only way I can drink it is to pour a few ounces of spicy tomato juice in it. 

Eddie Coyle

Those phony ass "first time on the Internet" commercials. In the history of phony ass Ad Council bullshit, this may be the phoniest assed Ad Council bullshit yet. Insulting on every level.

ItsOver

The Ad Council crap is a much more annoying than anything the supposedly sinister Bilderberg group could dream up. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on July 14, 2013, 11:47:06 PM
The Ad Council crap is a much more annoying than anything the supposedly sinister Bilderberg group could dream up.

Less than useless. I'd rather test patterns or frequency/tone adjustments than 30 seconds of Ad Council folderol.

stevesh

Sorry if I've brought this up before, but I heard it several times again yesterday. Please don't call a baseball no-hitter a 'no-no'. Baby talk is only cute when an actual baby speaks it.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 14, 2013, 07:48:14 PM
I look for it every time we're out beer shopping.  My daughter is now stationed in Virginia, and she says one of the local establishments has it on tap.  I'll have to keep searching.

I see it fairly often here in northern California, too.

stevesh

Stupid continuity errors in movies. I watched a Western today that took place in the wild west frontier era, and the villian said at one point, "Well, boys, it's time to cut to the chase." Nitwits.

You'll find such errors in books too from time to time...  As I recall, in the first 30 pages of Fellowship of the Ring, Tolkien uses the phrase "like a speeding train".  Of course, in Middle Earth, there were no trains. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 15, 2013, 04:22:37 PM
You'll find such errors in books too from time to time...  As I recall, in the first 30 pages of Fellowship of the Ring, Tolkien uses the phrase "like a speeding train".  Of course, in Middle Earth, there were no trains.

That's the sort of thing that the mainstream media would have the truthers believe.. I can see your trick! HA!!

I love fresh produce, I eat very little out of boxes or cans anymore.  It' really annoying that so much of it is covered with wax to make it look 'shiny' and appealing at the store.

I worked in an apple warehouse as a kid, driving forklift.  The apple bins would dump into the water to scrub the apples clean of leaves and dirt, then go through the vat of wax before going on the line to be packed.

They must do the same with other fruit and vegetables - tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers for sure, probably anything with a harder less permeable skin.  Sometimes the cucumbers especially almost drip with it.

I'm sure they'd tell us it comes off easily when washed and it's not harmful - but where have we heard that before.  And who wants it anyway.

Don't get me started on the carts and baskets that are filthy grimy - especially from the kids riding in them drooling and puking and who knows what all else - and are never cleaned.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 16, 2013, 04:50:32 AM
I love fresh produce, I eat very little out of boxes or cans anymore.  It' really annoying that so much of it is covered with wax to make it look 'shiny' and appealing at the store.

I worked in an apple warehouse as a kid, driving forklift.  The apple bins would dump into the water to scrub the apples clean of leaves and dirt, then go through the vat of wax before going on the line to be packed.

They must do the same with other fruit and vegetables - tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers for sure, probably anything with a harder less permeable skin.  Sometimes the cucumbers especially almost drip with it.

I'm sure they'd tell us it comes off easily when washed and it's not harmful - but where have we heard that before.  And who wants it anyway.

Don't get me started on the carts and baskets that are filthy grimy - especially from the kids riding in them drooling and puking and who knows what all else - and are never cleaned.

I'm thankful I live where I can grow most of my own produce.  I can even grow some produce throughout the winter.  I'm currently growing peas, kale, spinach, Swiss chard, Brussels sprouts, various lettuce, burgundy beans, 6 kinds of heirloom tomatoes, eight-ball squash, zucchini, two kinds of pumpkin, 4 kinds of hot peppers, blueberries, rhubarb, strawberries, and blackberries.  I grow a lot of herbs as well.  I also have two apple trees, a plum tree, and a cherry tree.  We live in an area where blackberries grow rampant, so when I run out of my own, I go into the woods and pick as much as I want.  Yesterday I planted 2 kinds of carrot seeds, more kale and spinach, and beets for the fall harvest.

I can, freeze, and dehydrate what I can't immediately use.  I made the season's first batch of apple butter yesterday.   I love not having to go to the store for their produce.  I do buy potatoes and onions, but that's just about it.  It drives me crazy to see people in our little town ignoring their fruit trees.  You'll walk down the street and see apricots, apples, pears, plums, cherries, peaches, etc., rotting.  What a waste.  :'(   This year, I'm going to attempt to see if some will let me take some of it away before it goes to waste.  There's a local organization here that does just that -- they contact homeowners who neglect their fruits trees and gardens and collect the produce for food banks and other charities.

lonevoice

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 16, 2013, 04:50:32 AM

I see that FullCircle (Organic Produce and Groceries delivery) is in your area, Paper*Boy.   I've been using their service for several months now and give them an enthusiastic two thumbs up.    Some of the best produce and the best customer service I've experienced in a long time.  http://www.fullcircle.com/organic-produce-groceries/delivery-areas/san-francisco-bay/

Sardondi

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 15, 2013, 04:22:37 PM
Whaaaa...? Truly? Tell me it's a gag. Is it a well-known lapse? I can hardly believe it of so careful an academic as Tolkien.

*a couple of hours later (including short nap)* Well I'll be dogged. You are absolutely right, at least according to folks who are Tolkien fanatics and know the texts of his works inside and out. You're absolutely right that in the The Hobbit there is a reference to "an express train." The general consensus among Tolkien experts is that is he was having fun.

Oh, I misidentified the Tolkien book (The Hobbit, NOT Fellowship of the Ring)... but, yes, the anachronism is there.  I can recall encountering it myself and being quite surprised.

Eddie Coyle

I see that Stevie Wonder is boycotting Florida(lucky bastards)

Um, how would he know?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 16, 2013, 09:09:23 PM

I see that Stevie Wonder is boycotting Florida(lucky bastards)

Um, how would he know?

humidity?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on July 16, 2013, 10:13:48 PM

humidity?

"No, I swear we're still in Georgia, Mr Wonder"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 16, 2013, 10:16:17 PM
     "No, I swear we're still in Georgia, Mr Wonder"

wouldn't it be a hoot if, for all of these years, they've been keeping mr. wonder in a sealed plexiglass container loaded with environmental adjustment mechanisms to make him believe he's in certain places?  it would save a lot on transportation costs.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on July 16, 2013, 10:20:38 PM

wouldn't it be a hoot if, for all of these years, they've been keeping mr. wonder in a sealed plexiglass container loaded with environmental adjustment mechanisms to make him believe he's in certain places?  it would save a lot on transportation costs.

And that's what science is all about.
          "God bless you, thank you very much, I love you London, all's God's children..."...all the while Stevie is in a hermetically sealed bubble at a soundstage at the bottom of a crack house in Detroit.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 16, 2013, 10:31:40 PM
          And that's what science is all about.
          "God bless you, thank you very much, I love you London, all's God's children..."...all the while Stevie is in a hermetically sealed bubble at a soundstage at the bottom of a crack house in Detroit.

this looks nice.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on July 16, 2013, 11:12:26 PM

this looks nice.

Beautiful. I checked Zillow and that house can become your home for roughly the price of a bag of Smartfood and medium Slush Puppie. Let the haggling begin.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 16, 2013, 11:37:20 PM
          Beautiful. I checked Zillow and that house can become your home for roughly the price of a bag of Smartfood and medium Slush Puppie. Let the haggling begin.

Is there room for my meth lab?

stevesh

Quote from: onan on July 17, 2013, 01:46:18 AM

Is there room for my meth lab?

Like most homes in Detroit, it comes with one already installed.

onan

Quote from: stevesh on July 17, 2013, 01:50:58 AM
Like most homes in Detroit, it comes with one already installed.

good one.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 16, 2013, 10:47:16 AM
I'm thankful I live where I can grow most of my own produce....

That sounds fantastic.  Even here in the city and suburbia more and more people are keeping bees for honey, chickens for eggs, even a goat here and there. 

Quote from: lonevoice on July 16, 2013, 12:10:09 PM

I see that FullCircle (Organic Produce and Groceries delivery) is in your area, Paper*Boy...

I tried something like that awhile back, but they just brought what they brought and it wasn't what I would have chosen, but maybe now some are more flexible - thanks for the link!

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 17, 2013, 01:59:20 AM

That sounds fantastic.  Even here in the city and suburbia more and more people are keeping bees for honey, chickens for eggs, even a goat here and there. 

I'm looking into getting a top-bar hive.  I've kept Mason bees for two summers now, and they are fun and great little pollinators, but they don't produce any honey.  I wanted to get a couple hens for eggs, but our lot is not large enough. You have to have 50 feet separation from the coop to other houses, and that's impossible with our yard.  Forgot to mention I'm also growing Thai eggplant, cucumbers, and Calamondin limes.   I started all this from scratch last summer.  My daughter built me two 4x8 raised beds, and we've added a few smaller ones and used some neglected garden space on the side of the house.  I picked a bunch of apples from one of the trees yesterday and made homemade apple sauce and got it canned and put up. 

I started getting into all this when I was down in the Bay Area and saw what so many people were doing.  My daughter was living in west Oakland right on the Emeryville border, and there was a great urban farm just down the street from her, run by Novella Carpenter.  I read Novella's books on urban gardening/farming and have been up and running since.  Don't get me started on the subject because I'll never shut up.  I'm a gardening fanatic.  :D