• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

Quote from: McPhallus on March 18, 2014, 07:41:20 PM
I think some people enjoy the sniping.  I have to admit I enjoy nothing more than hearing him become enraged and attack some of the less sharp callers.

I think many people enjoy the sniping as well. A guy I used to work with that had Savage on the radio would get all excited every time it happened and talk about it for weeks after.

McPhallus, I have a question for you. When you got rid of all but 5 of your books, which 5 did you keep?

yumyumtree

Not a bit surprised that a screener walked off the job. Probably not the first time it's happened. I have a theory that they sometimes deliberately let him go on the sir with bad show prep and stuff to get him back for being so mean to them. Just a theory--I don't really know how these shows work behind the scenes. But we are definitely in Devil Wears Prada-Swimming With the Sharks country.
The music is one of many contradictions in the show.

Savage has recently turned off a lot of listeners by  being mean to a regular named Jimmy, putting him down for lack of formal education, blah-blah. It's on YouTube. Some are also annoyed at his position on the Ukrainian situation, but I have actually been off Savage(after he called Ted Cruz a snake) so haven't actually heard most of this Putin stuff.

The General

Quote from: yumyumtree on March 20, 2014, 08:59:34 PM
Savage has recently turned off a lot of listeners by  being mean to a regular named Jimmy...

Yeah, that was really kind of sad. 
Jimmy the anti-communist from New York.
He's been a regular for a decade.

Quote from: The General on March 22, 2014, 01:24:22 AM
Yeah, that was really kind of sad. 
Jimmy the anti-communist from New York.
He's been a regular for a decade.

Yeah, I noticed I haven't heard from Jimmy in a while. He's called a couple of other shows in the past, but wasn't taken seriously.

When it came to commies, Ol' Jimmy made J. Edgar Hoover look soft.

Maybe Savage, like Dr. Laura, is just an uber-wealthy yet miserable human being.  They both sound extremely quick to go into weapons-grade fury. 

ItsOver

Savage is an interesting individual.  He's admitted to misery being more of his usual nature.  He was talking about his 5 houses scattered around the bay and his Mercedes yesterday but still complaining about minutia. 

McPhallus

Quote from: (Redacted) on March 18, 2014, 08:20:25 PM
I might have said this before, but, what baffles me is his constant pothead bashing, yet he plays Metallica & Judas Priest as bumper music...?  Does he know how those riffs were written?  You'd think someone who hates the demon weed so much wouldn't play music created with it.

Feel bad for the screener, but it must have taken some strength to walk away from such an oppressive ego.

I think it's a ploy to attract the younger demographic he craves.  I remember him going through a phase where he'd play Pantera and Rammstein.  I think he sort of liked Rammstein, but the Pantera drove him crazy.

McPhallus

Quote from: yumyumtree on March 20, 2014, 08:59:34 PM
Savage has recently turned off a lot of listeners by  being mean to a regular named Jimmy, putting him down for lack of formal education, blah-blah. It's on YouTube. Some are also annoyed at his position on the Ukrainian situation, but I have actually been off Savage(after he called Ted Cruz a snake) so haven't actually heard most of this Putin stuff.

His demeanor with callers seems to be getting worse.  I can tell they have plenty to say, but Savage is more eager than ever to talk over them and cut them off.  The few who still call must be hardcore fans indeed.  I can hear the anxiety in almost every caller's voice, and I can't help but feel bad for them.  Their hero may humor them, praise them, or cut them to pieces depending on what mood he's in.

Foodlion

Does anyone have a link to the show where the screener walked off?

The General

Quote from: Foodlion on March 22, 2014, 11:42:33 AM
Does anyone have a link to the show where the screener walked off?
It wasn't a big on air blow up or anything.  He just alluded to it having happened later.

McPhallus

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 18, 2014, 10:10:47 PM
I think many people enjoy the sniping as well. A guy I used to work with that had Savage on the radio would get all excited every time it happened and talk about it for weeks after.

McPhallus, I have a question for you. When you got rid of all but 5 of your books, which 5 did you keep?

Just a couple books on gender psychology and ancient Egypt, as those are subjects of interest in recent years.  I still have some of the old books (mostly old college textbooks and a few novels) in storage back in the town where I grew up, but I haven't looked at any of them in 15 years at least.

aldousburbank

Quote from: (Redacted) on March 18, 2014, 08:20:25 PM
I might have said this before, but, what baffles me is his constant pothead bashing, yet he plays Metallica & Judas Priest as bumper music...?  Does he know how those riffs were written?  You'd think someone who hates the demon weed so much wouldn't play music created with it.
A closet stoner who lost a girl to either a man or woman who was a better horticulturist than he IMO. Happens all the time.

ItsOver

At least Savage does OK with the TriCalm commercial.  He actually says "blue and white box," as opposed to ditsy Jorch who says "blue in a white box."  ::)  I'd love to hear Savage eat Jorch alive.

The General

Quote from: ItsOver on March 23, 2014, 12:02:43 PM
At least Savage does OK with the TriCalm commercial.  He actually says "blue and white box," as opposed to ditsy Jorch who says "blue in a white box."  ::)  I'd love to hear Savage eat Jorch alive.
Savage would say he'd never heard of Jorge.  And he might not even be lying.

ItsOver

Quote from: The General on March 23, 2014, 12:08:54 PM

It surprises me when Savage claims ignorance about certain pop culture names but I'm sure some it is just lack of interest and an "I don't want to go there" desire.  Of course, in the case of Jorch, that's a good thing.  I'd love to see Tommy set-up Jorch for an interview with Savage.  I wonder how many milliseconds that would last.  Would Savage rapidly explode or be as astounded as we are at Jorch's ineptitude and toy with the challenged one?  I guess it would depend upon his mood at that moment and how many espressos he had before the show.

yumyumtree

Yes, sometimes he claims not to have heard of big names in the conservative world, Dinesh D'Souza, for example , even though he claims  to be the truest conservative. Other times, he will dismiss somebody as a"nobody". Sometimes it's people who have recently died or had an unfortunate event. He was quite nasty after Owen Wilson's suicide attempt. He wouldn't mention Zack Galifanakis name after the Obama appearance, supposedly because he thought he was too insignificant, but probably really because he couldn't pronounce the name. Women he disagrees with, including women in Congress, he says either should be managing brassiere stores or cleaning toilets(actually what I did but I had my own business.) saying "brassiere" dates you as someone who was around during the Eisenhower administration, of course. Considering his attitudes toward women Ive often said that the only way to be happily married to him would be to spend A LOT if time apart, and I think they do, kind of like the Clintons. You must have to have a lot of servants to manage 5 dwellings, makes me tired to think about it.

There's a weekly Savage thread on Free Republic where people can talk Savage to their hearts content.

Everybody does the TriCalm commercial better than Noory. Levin, Limbaugh, everyone.

ItsOver

Ha, that's the first thought that comes to mind whenever he mentions his collection of houses.  He must spend a fortune on taxes and maintenance, especially being in California.

That is another peculiar thing about Savage.  He rarely mentions his wife.  You could be a regular listener and still be surprised to learn he has a wife.  You'd think he was married to his dog, Teddy.  :D

The General

Quote from: ItsOver on March 23, 2014, 02:23:49 PM
He rarely mentions his wife. 
Or his children. 
I'd be the same way if I were as universally hated.
I love Savage, I think he's great.

ItsOver

I haven't listened to Savage much since he moved to Cumulus but I recall him discussing his son in the past, the one who made his fortune with the Rock Star drink.  Savage seemed to get along with him and genuinely admire his success, at the time.  I usually enjoy listening to Savage, as long as he's not in a complete ranting melt-down.

Heather Wade

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 23, 2014, 10:32:50 AM
A closet stoner who lost a girl to either a man or woman who was a better horticulturist than he IMO. Happens all the time.

Heh.  All the seething Savage rage makes sense now.

Quote from: The General on March 23, 2014, 12:08:54 PM

A great trick employed often by Howard Stern.  If you ask him, Howard's never heard of anyone.

The General

Quote from: (Redacted) on March 23, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
A great trick employed often by Howard Stern.  If you ask him, Howard's never heard of anyone.
I use that too.  Never heard of bands I don't like.
I've also never heard of my competition across town.
I've also never heard of Howard Stern.

Juan

I have at least some suspicion that Savage has been angry since Allen Ginsberg dumped him.

Heather Wade

Quote from: The General on March 23, 2014, 03:20:36 PM
I use that too.  Never heard of bands I don't like.
I've also never heard of my competition across town.

Not much of a Stern fan, but love the "Never heard of him," bit. 

Competition?  What competition?   ;D

McPhallus

Quote from: ItsOver on March 23, 2014, 12:22:58 PM
It surprises me when Savage claims ignorance about certain pop culture names but I'm sure some it is just lack of interest and an "I don't want to go there" desire.  Of course, in the case of Jorch, that's a good thing.  I'd love to see Tommy set-up Jorch for an interview with Savage.  I wonder how many milliseconds that would last.  Would Savage rapidly explode or be as astounded as we are at Jorch's ineptitude and toy with the challenged one?  I guess it would depend upon his mood at that moment and how many espressos he had before the show.

He doesn't care for paranormal topics, I do know that.  I remember him doing a parody of Art once that actually wasn't bad.

yumyumtree

I haven't listened to Savage much in recent months but tuned in tonight. He just claimed that "everybody" in the media tunes in to hear what he's talking about. OK.

The Savage thread on Free Republic is now a monthly thread.

The General

Quote from: yumyumtree on July 29, 2014, 10:23:12 PM
I haven't listened to Savage much in recent months but tuned in tonight. He just claimed that "everybody" in the media tunes in to hear what he's talking about. OK.

The Savage thread on Free Republic is now a monthly thread.
I'll listen for you.
He's the best.

albrecht

I haven't listened in quite some time. But occasionally he was pretty good in the past but a very angry man (or is that a persona for radio) but then later started doing interviews that sounded like the questions were taped and just replayed on the show. Like an LMH episode. He also has an odd background and former friends and colleagues. I think his kid is into the energy drink market and MMA. I recall him bragging about going to some MMA matches.

yumyumtree

The weird, canned, spliced up third hours used to be one of the top five complaints people had about Savage. It was insulting to listeners, I thought. When he first came to Cumulus, we were wondering if he would still do this. I think he kept doing it but they were just done more artfully. But even when I listened to him, I usually didn't listen into the third hour. If I stayed up that late I'd usually listen to C to C.

The other top complaints about him, mostly gleaned from Free Republic, are his bad attitude toward other talk show hosts, his large donations to CA democrats in 2006 and the way he treats his staff.

He seems to have a tendency to defend Vladimir Putin. Some of us are perplexed by that.

He thought that George Zimmerman was at fault in the Trayvon Martin affair. This of course caused a lot of people on Free Republic to pronounce him the devil incarnate, because that's the way a lot of them think there. All I will say about that is he was entitled to his opinion but he was completely ignoring some of the facts.

Speaking for myself, I stopped listening most recently when He launched on Ted Cruz. He's also about equal to Noory when it comes to perpetrating questionable medical and science advice. And he has on some of the same people. Peter Breggin used to be a frequent canned interview guest.

Michael Medved actually mentioned Savage by name yesterday when he listed people who had come out in favor of impeaching Obama. He left Mark Levin off the list. I don't know if it was an oversight or he didn't want to incur Levins wrath. I should that he was clearly ridiculing most of the people on the list, and that why it might have incurred Screaming Mimi's wrath.