• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bakegab: The Bellgab Bakeshop

Started by Roswells, Art, May 06, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

pyewacket

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 23, 2019, 02:23:23 PM
Those cakes are divine! I'm glad this thread is expanding to sugar arts and confections and since it is made with yeast, brewing should also be included.

Thank you for starting this thread, Roswells. I was hoping you would not mind sugar art and cakes joining the party!  :)

ItsOver

With this being BellGab, one can only wonder just where this thread will eventually expand.

WOTR

Quote from: ItsOver on May 23, 2019, 03:59:13 PM
With this being BellGab, one can only wonder just where this thread will eventually expand.

Pöpcørn- fair representation of the eventual expansion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Azzerae on May 24, 2019, 02:37:44 AM
I wouldn't dare.

Oh go ahead.  YP says that SV is not just easy, he's instant.  (Not that there's anything wrong with instant.)

AZZERAE

Quote from: Dhea on May 24, 2019, 05:33:18 AM
Hey, sweetie  ;)

Hey you! :)

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 24, 2019, 09:06:10 AM
Oh go ahead. YP says that he's not just easy, he's instant.

While I appreciate the sentiment - of you playing matchmaker - I'm seeing someone, at the mo ... thanks.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: WOTR on May 24, 2019, 12:00:14 AM
Pöpcørn- fair representation of the eventual expansion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

I might post an old family recipe for chicken lip pie that was handed down by my English grandmother, but, only if I think it will be truly appreciated.

ItsOver

Quote from: Azzerae on May 24, 2019, 09:16:09 AM
Hey you! :)

While I appreciate the sentiment - of you playing matchmaker - I'm seeing someone, at the mo ... thanks.
Seeing yourself doesn't count.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 24, 2019, 09:20:56 AM
I might post an old family recipe for chicken lip pie that was handed down by my English grandmother, but, only if I think it will be truly appreciated.

Go for it, Kid! My mouth is watering already. Lets have it, c'mon...

Roswells, Art

Quote from: pyewacket on May 23, 2019, 03:37:14 PM
Thank you for starting this thread, Roswells. I was hoping you would not mind sugar art and cakes joining the party!  :)

On the contrary, it warms the cockles of my heart to see people sharing their baking/confection adventures and tips and jokes.

I haven't done any cake decorating but have been slowly gathering the tools needed. You might have given me the inspiration to finally just go for it. Thanks!

pyewacket

Quote from: pyewacket on May 22, 2019, 04:27:13 PM

Here is a nice recipe that can make muffins or loaves:

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 tbs vanilla
    2 eggs
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups milk
    2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°. Either line the muffin tin with paper liners or spray two loaf pans with non stick spray.
    Using either an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
    Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl. Slowly start to incorporate the dry ingredients.
    As the dry ingredients are being mixed into the butter mixture, slowly pour the milk into the batter.
    Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, turn the speed up and whip the batter until extremely smooth.
    Fold in the blueberries.
    Divide the batter among two loaf pans or muffin tins.
    Bake at 350°. For the muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes. For the quick bread bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. both should pass the toothpick test before taking out of the
oven.
Let cool completely before slicing or serving.

I just wanted to add that TBS vanilla may be a typo- tsp is more standard for recipes. I often use a vanilla emulsion in that measure, but not so with extracts. Sorry.  :(

SredniVashtar

Just a heads up, I shall be baking my muffins tomorrow (if that sounds like a euphemism it probably is), and posting the pictures, no matter how disastrous. It's so long ago since I baked anything that I'm not sure how they will turn out.

pyewacket

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 24, 2019, 01:51:51 PM
On the contrary, it warms the cockles of my heart to see people sharing their baking/confection adventures and tips and jokes.

I haven't done any cake decorating but have been slowly gathering the tools needed. You might have given me the inspiration to finally just go for it. Thanks!

You are so welcome!

I am happy that you are going to give cake art a try! Please keep us posted and feel free to ask questions. Some products are great, while others are unnecessary or a big, fat disappointment.

People love it when you can provide the theme cake for parties.

whoozit

Has anyone tried baking bread with white whole wheat flour?  I am thinking of making French bread tomorrow and wondering how it will turn out if I use this instead of regular white flour. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: whoozit on May 24, 2019, 02:03:26 PM
Has anyone tried baking bread with white whole wheat flour?  I am thinking of making French bread tomorrow and wondering how it will turn out if I use this instead of regular white flour.

Yes; despite the appearance, which is pretty white, it tastes a lot more like whole wheat than I expected.  For the sweet breads and rolls I make I'll throw a cup or two in if I want something hearty, like hot cross buns, but won't use it 100% or it tastes like health bread.

whoozit

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 24, 2019, 02:06:57 PM
Yes; despite the appearance, which is pretty white, it tastes a lot more like whole wheat than I expected.  For the sweet breads and rolls I make I'll throw a cup or two in if I want something hearty, like hot cross buns, but won't use it 100% or it tastes like health bread.
OK.  I’ll try a 50% mixture and report results. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: whoozit on May 24, 2019, 02:36:17 PM
OK.  I’ll try a 50% mixture and report results.

Good luck!  I wish I could give you better info on gluten development and texture but I always cheat and add gluten.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 24, 2019, 02:40:06 PM
Good luck!  I wish I could give you better info on gluten development and texture but I always cheat and add gluten.
I had a cauliflower-flour based pizza a few weeks ago because I was in Cali and someone claims a gluten intolerance. It was pretty good actually though the crust didn't taste quite right.  Not a baker but maybe that could be a substitute for people with the condition? 

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 24, 2019, 02:48:00 PM
I had a cauliflower-flour based pizza a few weeks ago because I was in Cali and someone claims a gluten intolerance. It was pretty good actually though the crust didn't taste quite right.  Not a baker but maybe that could be a substitute for people with the condition?

Yeah I think that's the idea.  The problem is, they need to find something with stretchy proteins that trap gas to make the kind of foam bread is.

Haha you should have seen my poor cousin's face when I told her I added gluten; I might as well have confessed to putting rat poison in the bread.

SredniVashtar

I don't think I've ever had anything gluten-free that wasn't utterly foul. It's tasteless and dry, I don't know why they bother with a substitute if they're as bad as that. What happens to Coeliacs anyway? Do they keel over like the peanut people? Personally, I think they're attention -seeking. Just eat a bloody sandwich and shut up.

whoozit

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 24, 2019, 03:16:33 PM
I don't think I've ever had anything gluten-free that wasn't utterly foul. It's tasteless and dry, I don't know why they bother with a substitute if they're as bad as that. What happens to Coeliacs anyway? Do they keel over like the peanut people? Personally, I think they're attention -seeking. Just eat a bloody sandwich and shut up.
Very few are truly gluten intolerant.  It just seems to be a trendy affliction now.  If it was a serious issue they’d have given it a scary name like cancer or mange or scurvy.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 24, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Reading the Mayo Clinic stuff on it, it's associated with everything from anemia and rashes to bloating and irritability.  It says the test for it can involve taking a sample from the small intestine (eek) so I suspect self-diagnosis in most cases.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 24, 2019, 03:43:08 PM
Reading the Mayo Clinic stuff on it, it's associated with everything from anemia and rashes to bloating and irritability.  It says the test for it can involve taking a sample from the small intestine (eek) so I suspect self-diagnosis in most cases.

There always seems to be an ailment du jour that certain people love to bore us about and this sounds like another one. I imagine it's popular with hipsters. Oh, I hate these people so very deeply with their little beards and vanilla lattes.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 24, 2019, 04:06:00 PM
There always seems to be an ailment du jour that certain people love to bore us about and this sounds like another one. I imagine it's popular with hipsters. Oh, I hate these people so very deeply with their little beards and vanilla lattes.

If that was intended as a fling at my carefully groomed stubble, I'll have you know I take my bread white, my cheese brown, and my coffee black.

whoozit

I just checked the weather for tomorrow, 90 degrees.  I guess I’ll be baking outdoors.

Juan

I see all kinds of things labeled “gluten free” at my grocer - garlic, butter, pork rinds, chicken, etc.

AZZERAE

K Dubb, if I may, what are your top 3 favourite baked goods of all time?

whoozit

Made the dough for the French bread with 1/3 white whole wheat flour.  It is out for its first rise.  I’ll let everyone know how it look later.  Time to head out for a run.

SredniVashtar

Just finished making my muffins. I haven't done any baking for so long that my tins were covered in cobwebs. As I was making them I realised why I don't do it very often: unless things go exactly my way I get into a temper and mess it up. I was swearing at my muffin cases because they wouldn't stand up straight when I put in the mixture. I still didn't manage to get the right texture, so no idea what I'm doing wrong. I had so much left over I had to throw the rest in a brownie pan. I dumped a whole bag of chocolate chunks in but god knows where the bloody things went. I don't think there was anything wrong with the recipe but the execution left something to be desired, as you can see.