• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What radio(s) do you use?

Started by Sichuan, September 27, 2012, 02:43:34 AM

Sichuan

I'm wondering what radio(s) you all use for your nighttime listening pleasure.  When I'm in the States, I have a CCRadio (with a crappy LED readout) and a GE Superadio, which I suppose are good for distance listening.  However, topography complicates getting good, clear signals, so what recommendations do you have?

Also, if you know of good links to learn the basics of understanding how radio works, etc., those would be much appreciated.

stevesh

The one that came with my 2000 Taurus.

McPhallus

Mark Levinson in the Lex, otherwise Tune-In Radio for everything else. Do you really need a radio these days?

HorrorRetro

Tune-In or IheartRadio online.  If I'm not listening online, one of my vintage tube radios is on.  There's another post somewhere on the board about vintage radios.

Morgus

Quote from: Sichuan on September 27, 2012, 02:43:34 AM
I'm wondering what radio(s) you all use for your nighttime listening pleasure.
nighttime listening 'pleasure' ?
you must be using your radio to listen to some other show than Noory's c2c...  :o

MV/Liberace!

the only actual analog radio i own is a ccradio which hasn't been turned on in a very long time.  in retrospect, the ccradio is an overpriced lump of shit.

anybody want to buy mine?  name a reasonable price and it's yours.  i'll parcel post it to you immediately.

Sichuan

I'll pass on the offer, MV, for the CCR.  The one I bought is far from reliable.

Here in China, both tunein and iheartradio are either blocked or don't broadcast outside the US, but I can get some stations on their own stream.  I use a regular ol' radio stateside when I'm at a seldom-used lakehouse (think camping with plumbing) that doesn't have the Internet.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sichuan on September 27, 2012, 04:38:07 PM
I'll pass on the offer, MV, for the CCR.  The one I bought is far from reliable.

Here in China, both tunein and iheartradio are either blocked or don't broadcast outside the US, but I can get some stations on their own stream.  I use a regular ol' radio stateside when I'm at a seldom-used lakehouse (think camping with plumbing) that doesn't have the Internet.

soooo... coastgab isn't blocked in china?

McPhallus

Quote from: MV on September 27, 2012, 04:10:09 PM
the only actual analog radio i own is a ccradio which hasn't been turned on in a very long time.  in retrospect, the ccradio is an overpriced lump of shit.

anybody want to buy mine?  name a reasonable price and it's yours.  i'll parcel post it to you immediately.

$5?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: McPhallus on September 27, 2012, 04:42:47 PM
$5?

hell... you could probably get that by melting down the plastic and sending it off to a recycler (which might be the best option).

McPhallus

Quote from: MV on September 27, 2012, 04:44:38 PM

hell... you could probably get that by melting down the plastic and sending it off to a recycler (which might be the best option).

I thought those were made from sawdust and newspaper. :P

Sichuan

Quote from: MV on September 27, 2012, 04:40:38 PM

soooo... coastgab isn't blocked in china?

Coastgab is just fine here--the Authorities agree about Noory et al.  Now, if you are using wordpress or blogspot, expect the banhammer.  Aand, the rules 'n regs of the Internet also keep me safely from facebook, twitter, and youtube.  Can't watch football highlights on youtube since that would damage societal harmony, or something.

Sichuan

Quote from: MV on September 28, 2012, 05:59:26 PM
china sucks.
I'm into my fourth year here, and I enjoy the life I have.  I work with (mostly) good people, and I have more freedom in the classroom as an instructor than I did at large public American universities.

Anyway, to bring this back to the "radio" theme, iheartradio stations (as well as others like KFI) don't stream outside the U.S.  Those are American decisions, not Chinese.

TuneIn or Shoutcast on a kickass Winamp Classic Skin.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NefariousBanana on October 04, 2012, 03:23:03 AM
TuneIn or Shoutcast on a kickass Winamp Classic Skin.

if you haven't, go to oldversion.com and download version 2.95 of winamp.  FAR more stable and far less bloated than anything they've done since.  i refuse to use any other version of that software.  also, numerous plugins fail to work with later versions of winamp which is just silly.

Quote from: MV on October 04, 2012, 12:33:57 PM

if you haven't, go to oldversion.com and download version 2.95 of winamp.  FAR more stable and far less bloated than anything they've done since.  i refuse to use any other version of that software.  also, numerous plugins fail to work with later versions of winamp which is just silly.

I usually only use Winamp for streaming and scrobbling.  For everything else, I use foobar2000.  It's light and to the point, kinda like older versions of Winamp.

Widget

Ich benutze Songbird für streaming. Es ist eine großartige Alternative zu iTunes. Sobald Stationen anzeigen schalten wollen begonnen, benötigt es einen HTML-Player wie Songbird.