Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 02, 2014, 12:32:49 PM
I think that's Premier's new marketing tag:

Coast to Coast AM, because the weekend guy's not that bad

Haha yep.

Quote from: KMKMKM on September 02, 2014, 02:51:20 AM
I'm not sure if George has announced anything yet, but it would be awesome if Dave got the opportunity to host Ghost to Ghost AM.  I listen to the Darkness Radio "Para-Share Mondays" every week, you can tell Dave enjoys and knows how to handle call-in ghost stories.  I'm sure he wouldn't fill entire segments with pre-recorded stories and past-guest experiences  ::)

We wish... Not going to happen. We will get George's romper room version with cheesy sound effects and calls which quote the bible.

Morgus

Halloween is on Friday night this year.
Maybe if Noory takes off that Friday night, a guest host could do Ghost to Ghost.
Either that or Noory himself will host it on Thursday night 10/30 (morning of 10/31)?

Let's not talk about Ghost to Ghost yet.  I'm still trying to pretend summer's not over.

Quote from: Morgus on September 02, 2014, 05:00:00 PM
Halloween is on Friday night this year.
Maybe if Noory takes off that Friday night, a guest host could do Ghost to Ghost.
Either that or Noory himself will host it on Thursday night 10/30 (morning of 10/31)?

Hasn't noorie hosted every ghost to ghost sine art left.

Last year was pathetic, he had a guest on for part of the show.
Ghost to ghost used to be. 2 or 3 night event. It's down to two hours now.
Tacky sound effects, lame stories, bible quoting, and cheesy bumper music is now the norm.

zeebo

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 02, 2014, 06:21:07 PM
...Tacky sound effects, lame stories, bible quoting, and cheesy bumper music is now the norm.

Well put.  Sad but true.

cweb

Quote from: KMKMKM on September 02, 2014, 02:51:20 AM
I'm not sure if George has announced anything yet, but it would be awesome if Dave got the opportunity to host Ghost to Ghost AM.  I listen to the Darkness Radio "Para-Share Mondays" every week, you can tell Dave enjoys and knows how to handle call-in ghost stories.  I'm sure he wouldn't fill entire segments with pre-recorded stories and past-guest experiences  ::)
I would check out Ghost-to-Ghost if Schrader hosted. I agree that he seems to really get into stories about ghostly experiences.

But yeah, Snoory wouldn't allow that. Unless there was a toomeric convention in town that he couldn't miss.

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on September 02, 2014, 07:02:46 PM
...But yeah, Snoory wouldn't allow that. Unless there was a toomeric convention in town that he couldn't miss.

Yeah it's the only time he get's to play "Monster Mash", so he can't miss it.

cweb

Quote from: zeebo on September 02, 2014, 11:53:06 PM
Yeah it's the only time he get's to play "Monster Mash", so he can't miss it.
Probably brings back memories of last year's C2C Halloween party when Wells' Herman Munster costume beat out Hoagland's Henry VIII.

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on September 03, 2014, 07:35:24 AM
Probably brings back memories of last year's C2C Halloween party when Wells' Herman Munster costume beat out Hoagland's Henry VIII.

Hahaha oh man the mental image on that one just made me spill my coffee!   ;D

Chine

I've never tuned into his show. But, i recall hearing good things about it. I may listen in tonight.

Chine

The other day, I listened to Darkness Radio for the first time. Listened to a shoe of his from Tuesday. It was on the murder of Lobster Boy. Schrader isn't that bad. Was fully engaged and really enjoy his style. Also, most of the subjects for shows are right up my alley.

I can't find a thread for Darkness Radio, so going to ask here. Do Freakshows still exist? Like at county fairs, etc? The show he had on Lobster Boy was interesting but the 'Freakshow' world fascinates me. Creepy, bizarre ... Even if it's fake.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: gnooryblows on August 11, 2014, 01:01:57 AM
this Schrader dude, i'll be honest. he banned me from his websites chatroom one time. so ive got my beef, but you know what?
HES NOT THE SNOOORON
If I receive a written apology from him someday, I might even say he's a good host.

Yeah, he can be pretty harsh when your opinion differs from his, or if you politely question the honesty/credibility of a guest he interviewed (who happened to be bashing a legendary, well respected, world reknown figure in the paranormal circuit, but I digress). Art never did that but, hey, Art is fucking ART. I am curious as to what got you banned:)

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Chine on September 04, 2014, 11:14:08 AM
Do Freakshows still exist? Like at county fairs, etc?

They do, actually. There is one here in Los Angeles at the Venice Beach boardwalk. You have to pay to get in (obviously) so I've never been inside but, on the outside, they have a very hairy man (he obviously has that medical disorder) advertising the show and trying to get folks to come in. Again, I've never been in so I'm not sure what/who is in there. Also, there is a cable reality show about a freakshow. I think it is called Freakshow (not sure which channel). I think the show may be about the actual freakshow at Venice Beach.

Chine

Hey Brooke,

I think I may remember that one in Venice when I lived in LA. Unless, it's a new one. Thanks for replying. I'm going to look into that show. I personally love the old photos, history of the 'Carnivale' life. In fact, HBO's 'Carnivale' was perhaps one of my favorite series.

albrecht

Quote from: Chine on September 04, 2014, 11:14:08 AM
The other day, I listened to Darkness Radio for the first time. Listened to a shoe of his from Tuesday. It was on the murder of Lobster Boy. Schrader isn't that bad. Was fully engaged and really enjoy his style. Also, most of the subjects for shows are right up my alley.

I can't find a thread for Darkness Radio, so going to ask here. Do Freakshows still exist? Like at county fairs, etc? The show he had on Lobster Boy was interesting but the 'Freakshow' world fascinates me. Creepy, bizarre ... Even if it's fake.
Freakshows still exists but they have changed. The "freaks" seem to be running the shows and they aren't as exploitative. And also more like people with crazy piercings, body modifications, rubber man, etc. I've seen some advertised at concerts and the like. And some reality tv show. I haven't seen the "old style" ones at county fairs etc in decades. Probably for the best, because really most of the stuff was just really sad birth defects and such. And sorta creepy and not right seeing deformed babies in formaldehyde jars or, I guess, obviously retarded and diseased people being shown as some kind of alligator man, lobster man, guys without legs, pinheads, etc. And obviously, though scary as a kid, faked mermaids, snake-man, etc (which were dead parts of animals/fish but preserved and rearranged by taxidermists gone mad I think.) I also think animal rights laws prohibit "geeks" from biting the heads off chickens!

Tarbaby

Quote from: tweet75 on March 16, 2013, 11:02:17 PM
what do you think of him?
I like him but I find I can't listen to the show too often. About once a week is enough for me these days, or less. So many podcasts, so little time.

Chine

Quote from: albrecht on September 04, 2014, 04:27:22 PM
Freakshows still exists but they have changed. The "freaks" seem to be running the shows and they aren't as exploitative. And also more like people with crazy piercings, body modifications, rubber man, etc. I've seen some advertised at concerts and the like. And some reality tv show. I haven't seen the "old style" ones at county fairs etc in decades. Probably for the best, because really most of the stuff was just really sad birth defects and such. And sorta creepy and not right seeing deformed babies in formaldehyde jars or, I guess, obviously retarded and diseased people being shown as some kind of alligator man, lobster man, guys without legs, pinheads, etc. And obviously, though scary as a kid, faked mermaids, snake-man, etc (which were dead parts of animals/fish but preserved and rearranged by taxidermists gone mad I think.) I also think animal rights laws prohibit "geeks" from biting the heads off chickens!

Albrecht,

Beautifully put and I agree. Those older days, it was creepy and very dark, punctuated by the abusive nature.  In fact, the next season of American Horror Story is 'Freak Show' taking place in the 1950s. I'm sure they will infuse that into the storyline.

I realized I got off topic. Sorry. Schrader seemed to present it well as the guest was 'eh okay' to me. He had some fascinating information though it was intended as a 'True Crime Tuesday' Which was interesting.  Definitely plan to tune into the show again.

I suggested to Schrader he stop people from reading on air. Apparently it is not his fault. He said he does not allow it on his show.
He sent me the following message.

Here is the issue I have that the listeners don't understand, I am in a totally separate state and radio studio then my producers are, I have NO WAY to hang up the calls. George can push a button and disconnect, I cannot. So, I try to wait for a natural break in the conversation so not to interrupt and be rude. Some calls its much easier than others, I kept trying to get the producers to dump the guy reading verses but they weren't picking up my intentions.

WOTR

Quote from: Chine on September 04, 2014, 06:25:29 PM
Albrecht,

Beautifully put and I agree. Those older days, it was creepy and very dark, punctuated by the abusive nature.  In fact, the next season of American Horror Story is 'Freak Show' taking place in the 1950s. I'm sure they will infuse that into the storyline.

I realized I got off topic...
I have to try to remain "off topic" as I am still on my self imposed week long hiatus from hatred.  It is hard reading and not being able to respond.  Sooo...

I believe that some of the reason they just do not exist for the most part has to do with the net.  Yes, they were well in decline before- but the internet drove a nail in the coffin.  If I want to see fat women, hairy men, geeks biting the heads off chickens (alright, I have not searched that- but apparently videos are posted of people getting beheaded...) all that I have to do is a quick search.

Nobody is going to pay to see a mild version of what they can see on the net.

Mallie fox ruins darkeness radio for me. She throws darkness radio completely off when she appears on the show. I am not sure if it is entirely her fault but Tim and Dave's banter with her is not interesting and creepy.

zeebo

Schrader's ok, but "Suspicious Suicides" as a topic?  This worries me, as it's like one of Ian Punnett's questionable choices.  Imma skip this one.

Morgus

The guest seems to have run out of steam already.
Don't see how this can go for 4 hours?

paladin1991

Quote from: Morgus on September 13, 2014, 11:35:06 PM
The guest seems to have run out of steam already.
Don't see how this can go for 4 hours?
My God!  I was listening to him on the way home fm work.  I wanted to kill myself listening to this guest.  Nothing suspicious about that!

I'm starting to like Dave Schrader more and more.  I wasn't going to listen tonight because I didn't think the subject would interest me, especially since I was probably imagining a Noory style interview, but now Shrader's got me stuck to my radio instead of doing the work I had planned on.

I liked the way Schrader directly disputed the Sandy Hook "false flag" conspiracy people, saying he was acquainted with paramedics, cops and others who were there and knew that this crazy massacre really happened, and how it was beyond insulting to the memory of the dead to foster this insane bizarro-world spin.

I liked when, on his own show Darkness Radio, right after Robin Williams' suicide, Schrader broke down and told of his own suicide attempt, and proceeded to make an impassioned plea to people in the audience who might be similarly depressed and desperate to reach out, and that there was help available right now.   He gave out the national suicide hotline number and repeated it numerous times.  I was struck by his candor and passion.  His interest in the paranormal and strange is genuine and his inquiries are full of energy and enthusiasm.   Plus, he has seven children, which just astounds me.  I like Dave Schrader.

paladin1991

7 kids?  That would drive me to suicide.  I'm going crazy with 2.

Scully

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 08, 2014, 12:48:54 AM
Mallie fox ruins darkeness radio for me. She throws darkness radio completely off when she appears on the show. I am not sure if it is entirely her fault but Tim and Dave's banter with her is not interesting and creepy.

I wholly concur.  I cannot imagine why anyone would think she is entertaining, and, as you said, she throws the others off, too.  I never listen on Friday nights, which I believe is the only time she's on.

b_dubb

I like Dave Schrader.  He's a talent and he seems like a genuinely "good guy".  Bully.

Chine

Quote from: b_dubb on September 14, 2014, 02:59:15 PM
I like Dave Schrader.  He's a talent and he seems like a genuinely "good guy".  Bully.

I like him too. I just started listening to his show two weeks ago.