• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

DMDN programming

Started by Robert, February 19, 2017, 06:12:06 PM

Robert

The Dark Matter Digital Network is Keith Rowland's baby, right?  That Art Bell invested in but has cashed out of?

I don't know about the rest of you, but of DMDN's programs I've listened to, most are more interesting than their supposed flagship show, Midnight in the Desert -- maybe (though probably not) even when it was MITD with Art Bell.  Admittedly, I wouldn't have been likely to have tried it had it not been for Art Bell, and I probably wouldn't've found out about MITD had I not Googled GNS.

Ms. Wade (and her producer) does have the harder job, in that her show is live & consumes so many hours, while many of the others on the network are pre-recorded, produce just an hour or a few a week, and in most cases are co-hosted by several regulars rather than solo like Ms. Wade.  But I wonder if more should be done to promote the other shows in preference to MITD.  And you don't have to stay up late to listen to the other shows, and many of them provide no-charge (but no-guarantee) ways to listen after the initial 'casting of them, via reruns and podcasts (seems Mr. Rowland doesn't have exclusive rights, unless I'm mistaken).

Ciardelo

Bob, I can't figure out what you're going on about up there but there're two podcasts which are favourites of mine that I found because Art and Hoaxy were on DMDN.

Shay's fishing buddies: Expanded Perspectives

And Mack Maloney's Military X-Files.

There is another show called "True Crime Garage" that I found because of BellGab, and I sort of like, but I don't think that it is on DMDN.

Robert

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 20, 2017, 04:56:05 AMBob, I can't figure out what you're going on about up there
My 1st sentence was practically a different subject from the rest of what I posted about.  Don't take it as a unified matter directed at some single point.

My main point was, the emphasis in DMDN seems misplaced.  It might've been properly placed during the mos. Mr. Bell was on-mic on MITD, but now it's ironic that they have a program they call Paranormal Filler or just Filler when it seems more like MITD is the schedule-filler -- appropriately, considering its late-night placement.  Not to imply Filler is DMDN's best, but it's one of several fairly consistently good programs they run.

Then again, how do people find good streamed programs, other than via such a gimmick as Art Bell's abortive unretirement?  It's not like a radio dial you can tune around.  So it's all referrals, such as the ones in this section of BellGab.

Last month I was killing time on Spring St. in Newton NJ when I stumbled on the studio of NewtRadio, a stream originator that's an outgrowth of, and mostly promotional for, The Newton Theatre, a venerable art house a couple blocks away & across the street.  They'd been online just a few days, and I thought they were a music store front (from the shelves full of CDs that'd just been put up).  I knocked, someone came to the door saying they weren't open, and then the DJ came to explain they were streaming.  They turned out to have some fairly good but also some rather pedestrian music programming.

Hmm...maybe I was making a point at the beginning inadvertently connected to the main point.  If, say, it was Mr. Rowland's idea to get Mr. Bell on the wire for a period, then mfr. an excuse for him to quit, to promote DMDN, that might've been a good business move that we, the audience, could benefit by.  But if that were the case, you'd think that by now his focus would've been off Ms. Wade.  Or was he thinking there'd be audience resentment even at this late date if it became too obvious that'd been the plan all along?

Ciardelo

Quote from: Robert on February 20, 2017, 08:18:36 AM
They turned out to have some fairly good but also some rather pedestrian music programming.

That's funny because you were on foot...right?  :)

Well, that is comedy gold Bob, comedy gold.  :D

Robert

Shows I especially like on the current DMDN schedule:

Big Picture Science
Filler
Military X Files
More Questions Than Answers

Robert

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 20, 2017, 04:44:39 PMThat's funny because you were on foot...right?  :)
Wish I could say that this week.  Very sore hip, probably greater trochanter syndrome.  Whenever I say "trochanter" to friends, they hear "throat cancer" -- so it could be worse.

Robert

Free Talk Live is fairly good too, though I wish there were better programming to represent my political perspective, which they do.

Ciardelo

More Questions Than Answers is not my cuppa tea.

I believe, in fact, it sucks big green donkey ball dick.

That show has way too much degenerate faggotry for my taste.

Robert

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 22, 2017, 01:21:20 AMMore Questions Than Answers is not my cuppa tea.

I believe, in fact, it sucks big green donkey ball dick.

That show has way too much degenerate faggotry for my taste.
But it's got more laughs than Military X Files, who seem to yuk it up for their own amusement.

albrecht

Some show on now about the awful "Yogurt Shop" murders, still unsolved. Such an awful event and so many rumors and fear then and for a while. And controversy etc still.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on February 23, 2017, 12:39:32 AM
Some show on now about the awful "Yogurt Shop" murders, still unsolved. Such an awful event and so many rumors and fear then and for a while. And controversy etc still.

On DMDN? That sounds like shows 81 & 82 from True Crime Garage. I thought I had found the show on the DTRN but maybe Rowland plays them too. :shrug:

It was a pretty much botched case....much feels for you Texans. We have our share up here too.  :(

GravitySucks

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 23, 2017, 10:39:08 AM
On DMDN? That sounds like shows 81 & 82 from True Crime Garage. I thought I had found the show on the DTRN but maybe Rowland plays them too. :shrug:

It was a pretty much botched case....much feels for you Texans. We have our share up here too.  :(

I think it was on DTRN

https://twitter.com/deeptalkradio/status/834649423745544193

Ciardelo

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 23, 2017, 10:40:24 AM
I think it was on DTRN

https://twitter.com/deeptalkradio/status/834649423745544193

I didn't watch/listen to it, but there is a "48 Hours" podcast/show about it too...I'd never heard of it until the True Crime Garage podcasts. 

Tinfoil_Helm

Old thread, but I wanna chime in on how awful "More Questions Than Answers" is.  Yipes. 

Military X-Files is great.  That dumb Libertarian show that's on in the morning sucks bad. 

Oh, and Heather is still the worst.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 15, 2018, 09:54:41 PM
Old thread, but I wanna chime in on how awful "More Questions Than Answers" is.  Yipes. 

Military X-Files is great.  That dumb Libertarian show that's on in the morning sucks bad. 

Oh, and Heather is still the worst.

Don't worry we all know that dark fecal matter network, is pure garbage.

Tinfoil_Helm

Quote from: username on January 15, 2018, 10:17:50 PM
Don't worry we all know that dark fecal matter network, is pure garbage.

There are some good shows though!  Heather sets the bar super low.  I wish they would give her a substitute now and then.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 15, 2018, 10:34:38 PM
There are some good shows though!  Heather sets the bar super low.  I wish they would give her a substitute now and then.

Are there? I've checked out years back. Lol @ heather

Robert

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 15, 2018, 09:54:41 PMOld thread, but I wanna chime in on how awful "More Questions Than Answers" is.  Yipes. 

Military X-Files is great.
But MQTA is actually funny.  Military X-Files they're just laughing at each other & usually repeating stuff superficially that we've already heard about in depth elsewhere.  Once in a while they do go into a subject in depth & then they're good.
QuoteThat dumb Libertarian show that's on in the morning sucks bad.
FTL would be better if they didn't spend half their time shilling for blockchain currency & half the rest putting on phoners-in they can make fun of.
QuoteOh, and Heather is still the worst.
Out of the personalities on their schedule, yes.  But it's late night, what did you expect?

Tinfoil_Helm

I've never found anything on MQTA funny, but they do benefit from that old Howard Stern trick: if you have a roomful of people laughing (at ANYTHING) it makes the listener think something funny is going on.  But why do they need like 6-8 people all laughing at once?  A couple of the ladies are seemingly JUST there to laugh the whole time.  Get a laugh track!

Military X-Files: I think they're all buddies and it just gets loose sometimes.  Whereas MQTA *tries* to be funny.  Worse yet, they THINK they're actually funny on MQTA!  MMMXF has plenty of cool stuff if you're a military/war geek.

FTL gets annoying when they start harping on all the usual Clinton/Libertarian stuff, which seems to be half the show.  The world doesn't need a poor-man's Alex Jones. 

At least we can agree that Heather is the worst of the bunch.  I would listen if they ever had a replacement host now and then.

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 15, 2018, 10:34:38 PM
I wish they would give her a substitute now and then.
Be careful what you wish for

Robert

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 16, 2018, 10:35:31 AMI've never found anything on MQTA funny, but they do benefit from that old Howard Stern trick: if you have a roomful of people laughing (at ANYTHING) it makes the listener think something funny is going on.  But why do they need like 6-8 people all laughing at once?  A couple of the ladies are seemingly JUST there to laugh the whole time.  Get a laugh track!

Military X-Files: I think they're all buddies and it just gets loose sometimes.  Whereas MQTA *tries* to be funny.  Worse yet, they THINK they're actually funny on MQTA!  MMMXF has plenty of cool stuff if you're a military/war geek.
MQTA has only 3-4 of them laughing.  They both potentially benefit by infectiousness of laughter, but MQTA's the only one I find laugh at, but to me that makes total sense because they're supposed to be funny, while at MXF it's an annoying distraction.  To me Stern would actually have been funnier if he hadn't had all those other people laughing in there; I liked him when he was on terrestrial b'cast because he was provocative & made me think, plus he's a superb interviewer.
QuoteFTL gets annoying when they start harping on all the usual Clinton/Libertarian stuff, which seems to be half the show.  The world doesn't need a poor-man's Alex Jones.
But libertarian is what it's about.  They just tend to take the cheap & boring way, though.
QuoteAt least we can agree that Heather is the worst of the bunch.  I would listen if they ever had a replacement host now and then.
I like the idea mooted here of having a co-host w her, such as that Pittsburgh guy who was suggested.  Or Ms. Wade could go back to being producer for someone else on mic.  Maybe it wouldn't be as easy as when Mr. Bell was on mic, or maybe she's a really good producer.  I keep going back in my mind to when Jason Jarvis took over from being producer to being on-mic for his mother Judy's program when she sickened & died.  Turned out he kept it up, albeit w fewer stations, longer than she'd had her show to begin w.  That's already the case for Ms. Wade on MITD, but far from the same thing when you count all of Mr. Bell's previous programs.

And I do concede that Ms. Wade did improve, but plateaued quickly.  Like she was weak to begin w, then got up to mediocre or almost so after 2-3 mos., then stayed there.  And she seems to have deliberately lost the sexy voice in favor of an aw-shucks twangy delivery.  But still not bad for an overnighter, which usu. get the weakest talent for those who do it nightly.  Still not as bad as Mr. Noory, but if he cared a little more he'd catch up.

Tinfoil_Helm

Quote from: Robert on January 16, 2018, 09:43:23 PMBut libertarian is what it's about.  They just tend to take the cheap & boring way, though.

Maybe that's my rub with it: I don't care for political talk radio on a channel that's supposed to about fun/paranormal.  Then again, most that goofy Pizzagate shit does belong on shows that discuss Bigfoot and whatnot.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 16, 2018, 10:35:31 AM
I've never found anything on MQTA funny, but they do benefit from that old Howard Stern trick: if you have a roomful of people laughing (at ANYTHING) it makes the listener think something funny is going on.  But why do they need like 6-8 people all laughing at once?  A couple of the ladies are seemingly JUST there to laugh the whole time.  Get a laugh track!

FTL gets annoying when they start harping on all the usual Clinton/Libertarian stuff, which seems to be half the show.  The world doesn't need a poor-man's Alex Jones. 

At least we can agree that Heather is the worst of the bunch.  I would listen if they ever had a replacement host now and then.

If a show has more than 3 people on it gets pretty annoying

Robert

Quote from: username on January 16, 2018, 10:14:27 PMIf a show has more than 3 people on it gets pretty annoying
I find round table discussions on radio of public affairs, science, or other subjects interesting.  Batchelor has some good ones, Barry Farber used to.  Do you mean it's annoying when they're all on mic at once & laughing or some such?

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Robert on January 16, 2018, 10:39:51 PM
I find round table discussions on radio of public affairs, science, or other subjects interesting.  Batchelor has some good ones, Barry Farber used to.  Do you mean it's annoying when they're all on mic at once & laughing or some such?

Yes, especially if it's just audio.... You don't know what the hell is going on and who's who. I'm not saying it can't be good, it's just oversaturation.

Tinfoil_Helm

Exactly.  And MQTA is just one loud gigglefest.  EVERYTHING seems to be funny to the army of people mic'd up.  And some of them are Skyping on crappy connections so it's extended periods of audio distortion when they're all howling at once (quite often).  I'm tellin' ya, it's the worst.  I mean, AFTER Heather, haha.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 16, 2018, 10:35:31 AM
The world doesn't need a poor-man's Alex Jones. 

sometimes i wish i were in charge of the top-right quotes.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Robert on January 16, 2018, 09:43:23 PM
...plus he's a superb interviewer.

agreed on stern's interviewing skills.  he and art bell were two of the best interviewers i've ever heard.

Tinfoil_Helm

Quote from: mv on January 17, 2018, 03:30:31 PM
sometimes i wish i were in charge of the top-right quotes.

Figured ya did!

So I'm sure you commented elsewhere, but what's your opinion on Heather's progress IN THE VAUNTED CHAIR?