• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Spec Sheet

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM

MV/Liberace!

Another shot of the new PCB, installed, before the capsule was mounted:
[attach=1]

area51drone

Quote from: MV on March 04, 2014, 12:36:59 AM
Actually, I've owned this nice soldering station for over a year now, and this is the first time I've been able to reeeeeally use it.

God, with this new mic, you're already starting to sound like Noory.    Good work, btw.

BobGrau

Quote from: MV on March 02, 2014, 05:35:57 PM
And so it begins: My MXL 990 mod...

[attach=1]

Haha I just had a dream about trying to put this together. It didn't go well.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on March 04, 2014, 12:41:27 AM
God, with this new mic, you're already starting to sound like Noory.    Good work, btw.

wait until you hear this mic.  it sounds so amazing.  thanks, mang.

area51drone

Just when you thought the court decision on net neutrality was the last straw...

http://washingtonexaminer.com/video-choice-act-is-a-bad-deal-for-everybody-making-selling-watching-tv-content/article/2544886

If you didn't watch that comcast doesn't give a fuck about you video, go watch it now.

saxgod

I also found this interesting since all the major networks have threatened to turn into a pay TV service if Aero is allowed to keep doing what it's doing. It's a neat idea but now it's up to the Supreme Court to make the decision on something that could change everything if allowed to continue. Find it interesting the US is against innovation on this point though lol.

http://m.cnet.com/news/us-sides-with-networks-against-aereo-in-supreme-court-fight/57619849

ziznak

All these pics of electronics are giving me a chubby

wr250

Quote from: MV on March 04, 2014, 12:36:59 AM
Here's the bottom of the PCB, now installed:
[attach=1]

No, my soldering isn't perfect.  It got the job done, though.

I don't have a photo of the original capsule handy, but it's about half the size of the new capsule and it only captures sound on one side.  The new capsule enables you to speak into just one side, or you can flip a switch on the PCB and enjoy OMNI-MODE!!!  Ooooh sheeeit.  The new capsule can be seen in this photo of the completed assembly:
[attach=2]

Thank you, sir.  I've soldered plenty of times in the past, but never a job this big in one sitting, and nothing requiring this degree of precision.  It was rather stressful, because the replacement PCB is not cheap, and neither are the components.  They're all top shelf, audiophile approved components, so in addition to burning the PCB, you have to be very careful not to burn the components.  I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, though.  I'm sure you do a lot more soldering than I do.  Actually, I've owned this nice soldering station for over a year now, and this is the first time I've been able to reeeeeally use it.  I've done a quick job here or there with it, but nothing on this order.

got the soldering jb HP did on their DV series laptops beat for sure...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on March 04, 2014, 01:00:31 PM
got the soldering jb HP did on their DV series laptops beat for sure...

I think you could beat HP's motherboards by just throwing molten solder randomly at the board and hoping it sticks to something.

The General

Quote from: MV on March 04, 2014, 02:19:55 PM
I think you could beat HP's motherboards by just throwing molten solder randomly at the board and hoping it sticks to something.
I looked at HP's facebook page once. 
It was just a constant meltdown of people raging about how bad HP sucks.
Then HP's responses go something like "Thanks for using our products!"

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on March 04, 2014, 02:19:55 PM

You heartless bastard. Those kid slaves work long hours in terrible conditions for little to no pay. Soldering was probably easy for you in your nice heated/air conditioned office. I bet you even had a chair and someone to wipe your brow and give you a massage in between.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on March 04, 2014, 02:41:31 PM
I bet you even had a chair and someone to wipe your brow and give you a massage in between.

There are also foot rubs.  Lots of them.

The General

Live Spec Sheet tonight?

bateman

Quote from: MV on March 04, 2014, 03:19:49 PM
There are also foot rubs.  Lots of them.

MV has a foot fetish. Noted.

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on March 04, 2014, 05:20:59 PM

Never understood the foot fetish.  Sickos. Keeping a detached mannequins head and endlessly brushing and caressing it's hair seems perfectly normal though.

The General

Quote from: bateman on March 04, 2014, 05:20:59 PM
That's better than your foot having an MV fetish.

wr250

Quote from: The General on March 04, 2014, 05:02:28 PM
Live Spec Sheet tonight?

im guessing not, as i didnt get the email notification :\

jazmunda

Quote from: wr250 on March 04, 2014, 06:07:38 PM
im guessing not, as i didnt get the email notification :\

MV and Curtis are winding down .....

The General

If they don't do a new show soon, I'm gonna hafta ask for a refund of my Spec Sheet membership dues.

onan

Quote from: The General on March 04, 2014, 06:20:07 PM
If they don't do a new show soon, I'm gonna hafta ask for a refund of my Spec Sheet membership dues.

I already did that... I got a partially used roll of solder.

jazmunda

Quote from: The General on March 04, 2014, 06:20:07 PM

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2014, 06:27:13 PM
I already did that... I got a partially used roll of solder.

I was looking forward to hearing the sound of the tricked out mic as well as hearing about the mod.

Perhaps we can start a class action to get our membership dollars cents back.

wr250

more possible spec sheet material

Apple CarPlay Infotainment System Runs on BlackBerry’s QNX

Yes, you read that correctly. Apple is a strategic partner for QNX in automotive. Could Apple be utilizing the power of QNX to operate the CarPlay infotainment system? We’ve reached out to BlackBerry and QNX to determine if CarPlay is using QNX and will update this post accordingly.

http://n4bb.com/apple-carplay-infotainment-runs-blackberrys-qnx/

Save The Spec Sheet

Get involved now

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on March 04, 2014, 06:31:16 PM
I was looking forward to hearing the sound of the tricked out mic as well as hearing about the mod.

Perhaps we can start a class action to get our membership dollars cents back.

i already donated mine to the "fight noory and his tv internet show fund"

MV/Liberace!

I'm definitely the problem (not Curtis) as far as our lack of new episodes is concerned. With these recording sessions taking up nearly every free evening, there's not room for much else when you squeeze time in for family stuff on top of it. I can't wait for things to slow down.

The General

Quote from: MV on March 05, 2014, 02:40:09 AM
I'm definitely the problem (not Curtis) as far as our lack of new episodes is concerned. With these recording sessions taking up nearly every free evening, there's not room for much else when you squeeze time in for family stuff on top of it. I can't wait for things to slow down.

Can't blame ya.  I'm only doing a monthly 1-hour podcast and I can't find the time to do it.

area51drone

Nor can I.  I have full intentions of doing a show myself, but I have yet to even produce one episode!   Life gets in the way of a lot of things, unfortunately.