• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Jimmy Church

Started by mikealden, January 27, 2014, 09:37:07 PM

Uncle Duke

I am looking forward to reading listener comments relative to tonight's live remote with Richard Dolan.  The questions from the audience were a hoot, not sure some of those folks were for real. 

jimmy church

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 19, 2014, 12:49:58 AM
I am looking forward to reading listener comments relative to tonight's live remote with Richard Dolan.  The questions from the audience were a hoot, not sure some of those folks were for real.

Well, we got that one behind us...a lot of work...hot, steamy, packed and no AC until the third hour... hence the 10 minute break at 2 hours. We had a full video crew shoot everything and we'll get it up shortly for everyone in case you missed the live broadcast...and yes, included will be the audience questions...all of them.  It was fun but that is a serious 20 hour day and the show was the last three...today I'm tore up and we have Ann Druffel in five hours...whew!  Tomorrow is Bill and Nancy Birnes and Friday we have Clifford Stone.  I hope and pray that everyone is enjoying the show because we (the team here and Keith over at DMRN) put an amazing amount of effort into this and I need to thank each and every one of them...thank you!  j.

Morgus

Thanks for the hard work Jimmy!
You have an incredible set of guests all this week - usually c2c nowadays doesn't even have ONE of these type high caliber guests on per month!
I don't know how I can find the time to keep up with all your fantastic guest shows!

cweb

I'm a bit slow in checking out new shows, but after reading everyone's comments I'm definitely going to check out Fade to Black!

Highlights so far:

1. Church's guest is an old lady and there's a knock at her door and you can hear her saying "Who is it?"
2. The six pictures were interesting go to http://www.jimmychurchradio.com/ and take a look. The photos were here in the Monk's neck of the woods (Orange County, CA).
3. Someone honked a clown horn 35 minutes into the show.

I know there used to be an air base (was the Army still at that time) in the south of Orange County. This was later turned into a city college.

Story keeps getting better. A key person with secret documents induced to kill himself by a CIA mind control machine operated from a car outside. Hour 2 has morphed into some classic Men In Black intrigue.

Uncle Duke

Sadly, the longer Ann Druffel stayed on the air with Jimmy, the more she sounded like the confused old woman (88-89 yrs old) she has unfortunately before.  Mercifully, Jimmy decided to end the interview before she totally lost the bubble.  Trust me, back in the day Ms. Druffel was outstanding.  Hopefully tonight's on-air melt down will not be the way those younger folks iinterested in UFOs remember Ann. It's like my Dad telling me I shouldn't judge Wille Mays based on his last pathetic season with the Mets in 1973. 

James McDonald was every bit the outstanding scientist Ann made him out to be.  I never meet him, a bit too young, but I did read some of his work.  Clearly Ann was a devotee, almost a groupie, of Dr. McDonald.  Intelligent, even genius level, people are not immune to mental illness, however.  I can understand Ann not wanting to accept her hero falling to his demons, to want to believe he was done in by some evil government agency, but these things happen. 

Hey Jimmy, while I'm here, please give us more details on the USA GO you say is calling you on air.  How do know who he is? 

mikealden

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 19, 2014, 11:26:36 PM
Sadly, the longer Ann Druffel stayed on the air with Jimmy, the more she sounded like the confused old woman (88-89 yrs old) she has unfortunately before.  Mercifully, Jimmy decided to end the interview before she totally lost the bubble.  Trust me, back in the day Ms. Druffel was outstanding.  Hopefully tonight's on-air melt down will not be the way those younger folks iinterested in UFOs remember Ann. It's like my Dad telling me I shouldn't judge Wille Mays based on his last pathetic season with the Mets in 1973. 

James McDonald was every bit the outstanding scientist Ann made him out to be.  I never meet him, a bit too young, but I did read some of his work.  Clearly Ann was a devotee, almost a groupie, of Dr. McDonald.  Intelligent, even genius level, people are not immune to mental illness, however.  I can understand Ann not wanting to accept her hero falling to his demons, to want to believe he was done in by some evil government agency, but these things happen. 

Hey Jimmy, while I'm here, please give us more details on the USA GO you say is calling you on air.  How do know who he is?

Yeah that was kinda rough. I would like to check out some of her old interviews to hear her in her prime. 

He's doing open lines at the moment, I'm really enjoying it. He takes his time with the callers and listens to what they say. Even has the ability to spin the boring calls into something interesting.

mikealden

Yeah Duke, really great call!

And you even dropped the S bomb. Haha. It happens  ;D

Uncle Duke

Yeah, sorry about that.  Thankfully there are a lot of "single letter words" I didn't drop.  I blame Bateman.

mikealden

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 20, 2014, 12:17:40 AM
Yeah, sorry about that.  Thankfully there are a lot of "single letter words" I didn't drop.  I blame Bateman.

Oh I doubt anyone minded too much. Gave me a chuckle.  :)

jimmy church

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 20, 2014, 12:17:40 AM

You did hear me call out 'uncle duke'...lol...

Jimmy church and Bateman are both stellar. I'm so glad church came to DMRN.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 20, 2014, 12:48:20 AM
Jimmy church and Bateman are both stellar. I'm so glad church came to DMRN.

Absolutely!  Round of applause for Jimmy, Bateman, and that hot green chick!

I missed the second half of open lines with Church so I will have to go back and check it out.

I thought Druffel did well all things considered, but started tailing off later in the show.
Still a show worth listening too.

jimmy church

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 20, 2014, 02:15:48 AM
I missed the second half of open lines with Church so I will have to go back and check it out.

I thought Druffel did well all things considered, but started tailing off later in the show.
Still a show worth listening too.

Thank you...and yes, you are correct: she did trail off a bit...but please understand that it was Ann Druffel...90 year old Ann Druffel probably doing her last interview and it was such a friggin' honor to have her on that I can't really put it into words...honestly, Ann Druffel and her gas-man was great stuff and five years from now we'll still be listening to it...we'll have the show up on YouTube shortly and you can check out the rest of the show...including Uncle Duke's call which bordered on epic...  j.

wr250

jeez what are the chances of meeting in a hobby shop years ago then meeting again on a forum about a show that does not exist anymore? then randomly calling the show host to find out that yes that did happen all those years ago ...

Uncle Duke

Quote from: wr250 on February 20, 2014, 02:21:07 PM
jeez what are the chances of meeting in a hobby shop years ago then meeting again on a forum about a show that does not exist anymore? then randomly calling the show host to find out that yes that did happen all those years ago ...

With the show ending, I wasn't able to give enough detail to confirm young Jimmy Church and a youngER Duke did meet in that CA hobby shop in the mid/late 80s.  Here is a "Readers' Digest" version of what happened, then Jimmy can decide if we did indeed cross paths some 25+ years ago.

At the time, somewhere in 86-87 time frame, I was working on the highly classified Advanced Technology Bomber (ATB, later to be called the B-2) as an engineer for the USAF.  The B-2 prime contractor, Northrop, custom built (actually custom rebuilt might be a better term as the site had once been a Ford(?) automotive plant) a facility in Pico Riveria, CA, for the design/development/mananement for the ATB.  There was also some parts and components produced there, but the aircraft themselves were being assemblied at Palmdale.  It was not uncommon for us to travel back and forth from Pico to Palmdale, always by car since we were not permitted to travel on the Northrop daily air shuttle to/from Palmdale.

My boss at the time, a retired USAF Lt Col,  was a world class plastic model aircraft builder.  In fact if you tour the National Museum of the US Air Force, several of his models are on display there yet today.  He knew where every hobby shop was in LA it seemed, and if we passed one, he'd stop if time allowed.   On the day in question, we stopped to visit a hobby shop between Pico and Palmdale, I think somewhere along the Antelope Valley Freeway.  As we stood looking at various models, supplies, and magazines, we clearly overheard a young man trying to convince others in the store (not sure if they were friends, random customers, or store employees) he had seem a very strange aircraft overfly the car in which he and some of his friends were using to go out into the desert.  He was sure it was the "Stealth Fighter".

He and his buds had stopped at the hobby shop specifically to look at a plastic model kit that had been recently released of an aircraft called the "F-19 Stealth".  Now remember, at the time the existence of a "stealth fighter" was something of an open secret.  Many made the assumption this a/c would have been designated F-19 since F-16, F-17, F-18, F-20 and F-21 aircraft were all acknowledged and flying.  So the model company (Testor?) put out a plastic model kit with the F-19 designation, based on descriptions they claimed they had gotten from "USAF/aerospace industry insiders."  Of course the real F-117 looked nothing like the model kit,  popular images of the non-existent F-19 as portrayed then in the military aviation press, and as described by none other than Tom Clancy in one of his early techno-thrillers.

So here we are in the hobby shop listeneing as this young guy, holding up the box art of the F-19 kit, was trying to come to terms with what he saw wasn't what was on the box.  He then, in very good detail, proceeded to describe the F-117 perfectly; including the arrow head shape as seen from below and the shallow V tailplane.  Naturally his small audience was challenging him, some good naturedly, others outright accusing him of lying/being high/being drunk etc.  Without question, he had seen an F-117, exhibited a fine eye for detail in the process.  After we got into our rental car, my boss and I busted a gut laughing, but feeling sorry for the kid at the same time.

That sound like you, Jimmy?  I figure the kid was 17-18 yrs at the time, would put him in his early/mid 40s today.  IF it was you, did you trot out a series of "I told you so's" a few years later when the USAF released the artist rendering of the real "stealth fighter."

jimmy church

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 20, 2014, 05:02:06 PM
With the show ending, I wasn't able to give enough detail to confirm young Jimmy Church and a youngER Duke did meet in that CA hobby shop in the mid/late 80s.  Here is a "Readers' Digest" version of what happened, then Jimmy can decide if we did indeed cross paths some 25+ years ago.

At the time, somewhere in 86-87 time frame, I was working on the highly classified Advanced Technology Bomber (ATB, later to be called the B-2) as an engineer for the USAF.  The B-2 prime contractor, Northrop, custom built (actually custom rebuilt might be a better term as the site had once been a Ford(?) automotive plant) a facility in Pico Riveria, CA, for the design/development/mananement for the ATB.  There was also some parts and components produced there, but the aircraft themselves were being assemblied at Palmdale.  It was not uncommon for us to travel back and forth from Pico to Palmdale, always by car since we were not permitted to travel on the Northrop daily air shuttle to/from Palmdale.

My boss at the time, a retired USAF Lt Col,  was a world class plastic model aircraft builder.  In fact if you tour the National Museum of the US Air Force, several of his models are on display there yet today.  He knew where every hobby shop was in LA it seemed, and if we passed one, he'd stop if time allowed.   On the day in question, we stopped to visit a hobby shop between Pico and Palmdale, I think somewhere along the Antelope Valley Freeway.  As we stood looking at various models, supplies, and magazines, we clearly overheard a young man trying to convince others in the store (not sure if they were friends, random customers, or store employees) he had seem a very strange aircraft overfly the car in which he and some of his friends were using to go out into the desert.  He was sure it was the "Stealth Fighter".

He and his buds had stopped at the hobby shop specifically to look at a plastic model kit that had been recently released of an aircraft called the "F-19 Stealth".  Now remember, at the time the existence of a "stealth fighter" was something of an open secret.  Many made the assumption this a/c would have been designated F-19 since F-16, F-17, F-18, F-20 and F-21 aircraft were all acknowledged and flying.  So the model company (Testor?) put out a plastic model kit with the F-19 designation, based on descriptions they claimed they had gotten from "USAF/aerospace industry insiders."  Of course the real F-117 looked nothing like the model kit,  popular images of the non-existent F-19 as portrayed then in the military aviation press, and as described by none other than Tom Clancy in one of his early techno-thrillers.

So here we are in the hobby shop listeneing as this young guy, holding up the box art of the F-19 kit, was trying to come to terms with what he saw wasn't what was on the box.  He then, in very good detail, proceeded to describe the F-117 perfectly; including the arrow head shape as seen from below and the shallow V tailplane.  Naturally his small audience was challenging him, some good naturedly, others outright accusing him of lying/being high/being drunk etc.  Without question, he had seen an F-117, exhibited a fine eye for detail in the process.  After we got into our rental car, my boss and I busted a gut laughing, but feeling sorry for the kid at the same time.

[That sound like you, Jimmy?  I figure the kid was 17-18 yrs at the time, would put him in his early/mid 40s today.  IF it was you, did you trot out a series of "I told you so's" a few years later when the USAF released the artist rendering of the real "stealth fighter."]

Duke...this is the thing...everything above DID happen and it kinda freaks me out...BUT the year is wrong, I think.  My memory says 1988-89...which would have made me around 24-25 years old (but I probably weighed about a buck 20 back then...)...my friends may have looked younger and maybe that's why I appeared younger...not sure...but, everything you said happened...I thought about this last night and it probably goes down just like this at that hobby shop every day with everything flying around the desert in Mojave.  I to have been to every hobby shop in Los Angeles, by the way...oh yeah, one more thing:  how long was my hair???   j.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: jimmy church on February 20, 2014, 07:00:49 PM
Duke...this is the thing...everything above DID happen and it kinda freaks me out...BUT the year is wrong, I think.  My memory says 1988-89...which would have made me around 24-25 years old (but I probably weighed about a buck 20 back then...)...my friends may have looked younger and maybe that's why I appeared younger...not sure...but, everything you said happened...I thought about this last night and it probably goes down just like this at that hobby shop every day with everything flying around the desert in Mojave.  I to have been to every hobby shop in Los Angeles, by the way...oh yeah, one more thing:  how long was my hair???   j.

Could have been 1988, the F-117 wasn't acknowledged to the general public until late that year so it would still have been classified.   By 1989, there is a better chance you could have seen a 117, but by that time it wouldn't have been classified and you strike me as the type who would have know exactly what it was since its ID was in the public domain.

Don't recall specifics about the people there, we were an aisle or two away from the discussion and for the most part had our backs to the group.  We were eavesdropping, not participating.  We were also smickering, so we avoided eye contact with them.  There was probably 5-6 people in the group, at least one of them was a shop employee I'm sure.  Pretty sure one was girl, I remember a female voice. 

Sadly my former boss passed away this past Aug, so all we have to go on is my recollections.

eeieeyeoh

Jimmy Church, so far I see some hope although I shut it down after ~ 15 min heard today w/that guest on DMRN in morning. The guest was some woman that couldn't answer your simple question w/simple answer. I appreciated your candor in realizing everybody is different and special before I shut it down. Will try again next time I get the chance, but please don't stop continuing seeking the fringe guests for a round of open BS on my account. I kinda like the well asked question like you did so I can move on to more important things in my life.

Morgus

Is it coincidence that both Robert Schoch and Richard Dolan are now scheduled as guests on c2c next week after first being on Fade to Black this past week?
Noory is now poaching guests from you Jimmy, just like he did with Art!

ziznak

Oh dear! Can't wait to hear Jorch ask silly geology queshtuns!

cweb

Quote from: ziznak on February 21, 2014, 02:26:18 AM
Oh dear! Can't wait to hear Jorch ask silly geology queshtuns!
"One thing I've always wondered... Does limestone actually taste like lime?"

wr250

Quote from: cweb on February 21, 2014, 08:04:12 AM

george has enough of his own "ideas" . please dont feed him more (we know he trolls here, thats why mv got the DCMA takedown order).

Quote from: cweb on February 21, 2014, 08:04:12 AM

:)  GN asks the questions we all want to know, but are afraid to ask.

jimmy church

Quote from: Morgus on February 21, 2014, 12:30:53 AM
Is it coincidence that both Robert Schoch and Richard Dolan are now scheduled as guests on c2c next week after first being on Fade to Black this past week?

Yes, in the short time we've been doing this show it has happened more than a few times...but we were always first!  Ha!  I look at it like this: If it were the other way around we would look like schmoes (sp.???)... all C2C are doing is making DMRN and FADE to BLACK look good and for that I say 'thank you'... Schoch and Dolan are VERY smart men...and you know that when they hang up the phone after those interviews they will reflect and analyze our two shows...next week C2C will have on Druffel, Stone and probably call Uncle Duke for good measure...

bateman

Quote from: Morgus on February 21, 2014, 12:30:53 AM

Twice with me too.

bateman

And of course it only serves to highlight just how shitty a host Noory is. Resorting to stealing guests, and now even stealing content. Hilariously, a couple of my questions wound up on his 3x5 cards. He's the Carlos Mencia of radio.

This is going to backfire on him though. When people realize they can hear the same guests interviewed by a competent host, they will leave in droves, for the greener pastures of DMRN.  8)

ziznak

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised that both of you guys have had some of the great guests you've had.  You guys have the two best best shows on DMRN... Future Theater is up there as well but I would put that show in a totally different genre since it's not a one on one guest to host ratio.