• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

Bradsmith313

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:26:41 PM
I totally agree. I've never heard his argument of if you have enough resources to terraform a planet you should be able to terraform earth back into earth....damn. And not thinking we should be a two planet species?? That's a bold stance.
He does have a good point.

Weirdoradio

People like Neil are exactly the reason why I wish there was more of a technocracy going on in more developed countries.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 29, 2015, 11:27:54 PM
Who is to say Earth is not being Earth exactly as Earth naturally is?   There's the rub.

chefist

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 11:27:53 PM
+19.5

I was working on Orion when Constellation got cancelled. Going back to the moon was Bushe's plan.

Now we are still building Orion. We are still building the SLS. Youbjust can't call it Constellation.

We don't know where we are going yet, or where, but we know it won't be the moon, why? Well because that was Bush's plan. The state of NASA's strategic plan is sickening IMHO

It has always been political at NASA...now it is just completely contaminated with it...

=Schlyder=

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:27:27 PM
Careful, that's fanatical talk right there.

LOL  ;D  well we would have to build a space fleet first though.

Bradsmith313

Quote from: Weirdoradio on October 29, 2015, 11:28:27 PM
People like Neil are exactly the reason why I wish there was more of a technocracy going on in more developed countries.
Yes. Because scientists and engineers look at problems and work to solve them.

Zenman

These wacky folks who are selling off all their goods and committing to be one of the first Mars colonists should definitely talk to Neil first.

Barfly

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 29, 2015, 11:26:35 PM
'Let's not be a two planet species.' -NDT
I agree with him, just look at how dead Mars is and compare it to Earth, plenty water and resources here, maybe sometime in the future we can inhabit other planets but that would be FAR in the future, if something goes bad with our sun all the planets in our solar system would be fucked anyway, no place to hide from that clusterfuck.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Zenman on October 29, 2015, 11:31:18 PM
These wacky folks who are selling off all their goods and committing to be one of the first Mars colonists should definitely talk to Neil first.

Does Mars have manhole covers?

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:29:28 PM

"Physiologically, man in the normal use of technology (or his variously extended body) is perpetually modified by it and in turn finds new ways of modifying his technology. Man becomes, as it were, the sex organs of the machine world, as the bee of the plant world, enabling it to fecundate and evolve ever new forms."

Marshall McLuhan

TigerLily

Quote from: Bradsmith313 on October 29, 2015, 11:24:07 PM
I really do like what Neil is saying. No ancient colonies on comets. Torsion fields. 19.5. Science. Focusing on the future. Making things great with real science and technology. I like this.
In total agreement Brad

Quote from: chefist on October 29, 2015, 11:26:51 PM
That is right...and I live in Tucson where there are many old Titan II missile silos...all located right next to I-10 and I-19...easy to get missiles, war heads, fuel trucks, etc to the launch sites...

Never have seen a Titan silo. I did get to see an active Nike site just outside Washington DC in the early 60s.

Bradsmith313

Is it just me . . . but if that Conspiracy Cruise ship got wiped out by a rogue tidal wave . . . the gene pool would be better off?

TigerLily

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:26:03 PM
Get it from books if you want. Some of us lived it.
So tell me about the American Revolution,  Grandpa  ;)

Kolchak

Quote from: Bradsmith313 on October 29, 2015, 11:34:28 PM
Is it just me . . . but if that Conspiracy Cruise ship got wiped out by a rogue tidal wave . . . the gene pool would be better off?

AppealPlay

I would dearly miss our own reality show.

zmbabwe

They could fashion lifeboats out of their tin foil.

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 11:31:29 PM
I agree with him, just look at how dead Mars is and compare it to Earth, plenty water and resources here, maybe sometime in the future we can inhabit other planets but that would be FAR in the future, if something goes bad with our sun all the planets in our solar system would be fucked anyway, no place to hide from that clusterfuck.

Barfly

+19.5

chefist

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 11:27:53 PM
+19.5

I was working on Orion when Constellation got cancelled. Going back to the moon was Bushe's plan.

Now we are still building Orion. We are still building the SLS. Youbjust can't call it Constellation.

We don't know where we are going yet, or where, but we know it won't be the moon, why? Well because that was Bush's plan. The state of NASA's strategic plan is sickening IMHO

We should have never completely abandoned our lift and drop systems...it's fine to have a Corvette like the shuttle, but you always need a pick-up truck for the day to day...

The Russians did a good job advancing their programs by sticking with the KISS principle...

TigerLily

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:24:44 PM
That's right. A young Lt Colonel Eisenhower was a member of the First Transcontinental Motor Convoy in 1919 and concluded from it that the United States needed a highway system capable of moving military equipment throughout the country. So when he became President the Interstate Highway System was one of his priorities.
We're you there or did you get it from a historian?