• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150730 - John Dvorak - Life Beyond Earth - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, July 30, 2015, 09:57:29 PM

ChandlersDad

Quote from: PathoJen on July 30, 2015, 10:29:05 PM
I am always afraid that if I listen to people discuss this subject that the subject they are talking about is going to come to fruition immediately after discussion takes place. I'm very superstitious like that.

Psychologists call this magical thinking. It is common in children, but tends to go away for most people.

zeebo

During the '89 Loma Prieta quake I was in the fifth floor of a building in downtown SF.  I watched the BofA building sway outside the window and simultaneously a crack split up the plaster in the wall by my desk.  The lights blipped off as the power went out, and as we started streamed out the lobby it was the most surreal experience has hordes of office workers flooded the streets all at once, stranding cars and buses where they were.

On my way walking back home to the Upper Haight I stopped off at a brew pub and had a pint by candlelight with some other rattled souls trying to take the edge off.  Felt kinda like the bar at the end of the world. 

Scariest thing was the aftershocks which were pretty bad for a couple weeks.  Had other shakers since then but that was the worst.  Now I'm up in the Pac. Northwest, which up until a few weeks ago used to feel pretty safe.  Oh well, the idea that you're really on terra firma is always a bit of an illusion.

Pumamama

Quote from: Wednesday on July 30, 2015, 10:40:06 PM
I moved here in '92, but I witnessed it on TV from Massachusetts. It scares me a bit that my office is near all the glass-windowed high rises. At least I can walk home. I am prepared to use an umbrella to protect myself from the falling glass. Our building has a few kits for disaster preparedness. I'm in a cement building with six floors. Fortunately, I live above bedrock.

Yes, I will try to call in on Skype.

Please do! Sounds like you are way more prepared than most & hearing from you could help people prepare. Good luck.

PathoJen

Quote from: ChandlersDad on July 30, 2015, 10:41:50 PM
Psychologists call this magical thinking. It is common in children, but tends to go away for most people.
Lol that's funny.

saucerlike

This is my favorite show so far - love the science & geology talk.

Spinner

I'm sure Neal Adams would say that such mainland earthquakes occur because the Earth is growing.

I had a 60 gallon aquarium tip over and bust right next to my bed in the Northridge quake. Lucky I didn't step on glass when I jumped out of bed.

trostol

Quote from: Sabu2K on July 30, 2015, 10:41:43 PM
i wanna know if ny is getting a earthquake...

think you are more likely to get a huge hurricane then a big earthquake

Herbn-Legend

Thats a coqui frog in the background😨hahahahaha menace here

Hautex

Quote from: Jorch Einstein on July 30, 2015, 10:39:15 PM
WTF with this website. I constantly get "can't be accessed." But if I use a proxy server it always works. Is someone censoring people on this thread?
Happened for the last 3 days, took almost 40 minutes to get the site back, but all other sites were without issue.

ChandlersDad

Quote from: Herbn-Legend on July 30, 2015, 10:33:38 PM
*smokez some weed*😯💨💨💨 im getn REDEYE 4da big 1😝

Congratulations! You are officially the BellGab Village Idiot.  Can you even conceive of writing a coherent correctly spelled sentence?

AL5J

Spike in small quakes under 3.0 here in TX over the  past few years. Many are blaming it on fracking.

>:( For a second, I thought John Titor had joined BellGab.

nbirnes

Quote from: Herbn-Legend on July 30, 2015, 10:36:36 PM
Strange fact. Wen the 7.2 hit here i had plants in the ground. Turnz out my crop produced MORE an waz more potent medicine😯💨💨💨

This requires more research. And marketing. And research.

trostol

Quote from: Herbn-Legend on July 30, 2015, 10:43:41 PM
Thats a coqui frog in the background😨hahahahaha menace here

i was about to say is anyone else hearing that in the background lol

Chine

Um... Do I hear a bird in the background? Maybe the guest has one. Haha

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on July 30, 2015, 10:43:23 PM
think you are more likely to get a huge hurricane then a big earthquake
There is a fault line at the St Lawrence. We had a 3.2 when I was stationed at Plattsburgh, NY

Herbn-Legend

Quote from: Chine on July 30, 2015, 10:44:34 PM
Um... Do I hear a bird in the background? Maybe the guest has one. Haha
that's a frog they r evry were here in hawaii

Pumamama

Quote from: nbirnes on July 30, 2015, 10:44:11 PM
This requires more research. And marketing. And research.

Far, far more research required.

Robert

Remember the guy who used to come on C2C & "predict" earthquakes on the basis of planetary alignment?  Mostly moon & sun.

aldousburbank

Quote from: AL5J on July 30, 2015, 10:44:06 PM
Spike in spike in small quakes under 3.0 here in TX over the  past few years. Many are blaming it on fracking.
I was at DFW earlier this year, using my vape pen, when they experienced a 3.4. I thought it was just me at first.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Hautex on July 30, 2015, 10:43:51 PM
  Happened for the last 3 days, took almost 40 minutes to get the site back, but all other sites were without issue.

Same for me.  I have to use a VPN to access this site.  I don't know why but it is good to know there are others experiencing it.