• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bill O'Reilly is out at Fox News

Started by Up All Night, April 19, 2017, 02:03:45 PM

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 19, 2017, 03:00:12 PM
To be fair, I think Bill O has been accused of this sort of thing a time or two before and he and the network have paid out somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 Million in settlements.  That's awful expensive lechery don't you think?

Yes he has and I don't condone the alleged behavior in those earlier cases but the latest stuff coming to light seems to be no big deal.  Flirtatious behavior to be sure but very small potatoes.

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 03:52:31 PM
Flirtatious behavior to be sure but very small potatoes.

Men have been rendered for less.

O'Reilly statement

Over the past 20 years at Fox News, I have been extremely proud to launch and lead one of the most successful news programs in history, which has consistently informed and entertained millions of Americans and significantly contributed to building Fox into the dominant news network in television. It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims. But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today. I will always look back on my time at Fox with great pride in the unprecedented success we achieved and with my deepest gratitude to all my dedicated viewers. I wish only the best for Fox News Channel.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 03:48:37 PM
I'm not in love with O'Reilly.  He has a smug, self-righteous, arrogant attitude.  I probably agree with most of his political views though I rarely watched his show during the last few years.  I just think most of the stuff that has come to light of late is not something anybody should be upset about. People need to be less sensitive and move on with their lives if something slightly unpleasant happened in the past.  I abhor the litigious society we live in where people want to sue over every little thing.  I've had unpleasant things happen to me (including sexual harassment) and I moved on, why can't others?

What? So you think it perfectly acceptable that someone should be subject to sexual harrassment and bullying and corporate cold shouldering if they don't submit? Why do you think O'Reilly should enjoy immunity from making the lives of other employees a misery? Because he's him?

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 03:52:31 PM
Yes he has and I don't condone the alleged behavior in those earlier cases but the latest stuff coming to light seems to be no big deal.  Flirtatious behavior to be sure but very small potatoes.

That's fair. You make a good point but from the Network's perspective, why take an expensive chance? 

I never liked Bill's attitude but I agree with MD MD, for awhile, I felt he brought some journalistic integrity to the stories he did.   It seems to me that he suffered that big ego thing as he got more and more popular.  Kinda like Sting and Bono.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 04:01:08 PM
O'Reilly statement

Over the past 20 years at Fox News, I have been extremely proud to launch and lead one of the most successful news programs in history, which has consistently informed and entertained millions of Americans and significantly contributed to building Fox into the dominant news network in television. It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims. But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today. I will always look back on my time at Fox with great pride in the unprecedented success we achieved and with my deepest gratitude to all my dedicated viewers. I wish only the best for Fox News Channel.

Oh? Has Hannity? Isn't he a Fox employee? First defence of a pest; 'Everyone does it'. No they don't. Trump does it, and its why he can sympathise with O'Reilly.

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on April 19, 2017, 04:07:25 PM
What? So you think it perfectly acceptable that someone should be subject to sexual harrassment and bullying and corporate cold shouldering if they don't submit? Why do you think O'Reilly should enjoy immunity from making the lives of other employees a misery? Because he's him?

Oh please now you are exaggerating and remember these women are only going after O'Reilly because he has a hefty bank account.  Like I said, I have been sexually harassed too so I've been there.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on April 19, 2017, 04:10:07 PM
Oh? Has Hannity? Isn't he a Fox employee? First defence of a pest; 'Everyone does it'. No they don't. Trump does it, and its why he can sympathise with O'Reilly.

Just like with your Russia story you proceed as if it were true. We don't know that. Only that he (or, more accurately, his legal team) settled. Grow up, douche bag!  ::)

aldousburbank

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 19, 2017, 04:08:09 PM
It seems to me that he suffered that big ego thing as he got more and more popular.  Kinda like Sting and Bono.
And Falkie.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 04:11:16 PM
Oh please now you are exaggerating and remember these women are only going after O'Reilly because he has a hefty bank account.  Like I said, I have been sexually harassed too so I've been there.

What do you want? A cookie? How am I exaggerating? The latest is a doctor who isn't wanting money, who turned him down, so he blanked her afterwards. He should have a wank. There are many anchors who are wealthy, they don't get such claims against them. And anyway, Fox paid out, not him. Not anymore it seems.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 19, 2017, 04:12:13 PM
Just like with your Russia story you proceed as if it were true. We don't know that. Only that he (or, more accurately, his legal team) settled. Grow up, douche bag!  ::)

Learn to shave son.

C'mon man, five women?  This is starting to enter Cosby territory.

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 19, 2017, 04:08:09 PM
That's fair. You make a good point but from the Network's perspective, why take an expensive chance? 

I never liked Bill's attitude but I agree with MD MD, for awhile, I felt he brought some journalistic integrity to the stories he did.   It seems to me that he suffered that big ego thing as he got more and more popular.  Kinda like Sting and Bono.

Right.  lol.  Bill has had the top show on Fox and Fox really seems to be taking a chance that they can keep their audience.  Tucker Carlson may be a fine host but I find him rather dull and much like Hannity.  The one thing about O'Reilly is he was not predictable and could be entertaining.  The other folks on Fox are not entertaining and are oh so predictable.

Up All Night

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 19, 2017, 02:31:51 PM
I think the one thing you realize as you grow older is that we all pay for it in one way or another.  ;)

You pay for it coming and going...

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 04:17:55 PM
Right.  lol.  Bill has had the top show on Fox and Fox really seems to be taking a chance that they can keep their audience.  Tucker Carlson may be a fine host but I find him rather dull and much like Hannity.  The one thing about O'Reilly is he was not predictable and could be entertaining.  The other folks on Fox are not entertaining and are oh so predictable.

Yeah, that's the point. Four million viewers. They fired him and chances are there was something in those allegations that rang true there. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on April 19, 2017, 04:15:53 PM
Learn to shave son.

I don't shave. I've had a full beard for years. I just wanted to drop the shaving thing as a potential vulnerability to see who would hone in on it and how much. Congrats! You win the douche bag prize again!  :D  :P

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 19, 2017, 04:20:21 PM
I don't shave. I've had a full beard for years. I just wanted to drop the shaving thing as a potential vulnerability to see who would hone in on it and how much. Congrats! You win the douche bag prize again!  :D  :P

I'm hurt now. I'm jealous I can't keep my lunch under my chin.  :-\

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on April 19, 2017, 04:22:12 PM
I'm hurt now. I'm jealous I can't keep my lunch under my chin.  :-\

You're going to need to grow a chin first then...and then a spine...and maybe a brain to go with too.  ;D

SredniVashtar

You have one standard of evidence for the things you choose to believe, where the bar is so low it is virtually underground, and an impossibly high bar for everything else.

Like every other conspiracy nut, it is never about evidence, just your own pet theories, which you will never give up for any reason

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 19, 2017, 04:19:50 PM
Yeah, that's the point. Four million viewers. They fired him and chances are there was something in those allegations that rang true there.

They were also paying him reputedly 14 million a year. They've already saved about 20 miilion for the next two years if they include the litigation. O'Reilly isn't special, they don't need him.

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on April 19, 2017, 04:15:10 PM
What do you want? A cookie? How am I exaggerating? The latest is a doctor who isn't wanting money, who turned him down, so he blanked her afterwards. He should have a wank. There are many anchors who are wealthy, they don't get such claims against them. And anyway, Fox paid out, not him. Not anymore it seems.

These are alleged claims and even though folks may settle that does not mean they necessarily did what was alleged.  Many times people settle because they want the problem to go away.  Yeah, it may make them look guilty but many times they aren't.  Take Savage and Art Bell.  Yes Savage made comments that appeared likely to be referring to Art and his wife but he didn't say their names.  He supposedly settled to make the problem go away.  Art likely would have lost in court.  We live in a country that assumes innocence and proof of guilt built on English common law (except for Louisiana which uses a Napoleonic code of law).

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 19, 2017, 04:25:05 PM
You have one standard of evidence for the things you choose to believe, where the bar is so low it is virtually underground, and an impossibly high bar for everything else.

Like every other conspiracy nut, it is never about evidence, just your own pet theories, which you will never give up for any reason

Were you one of O'Reilly victims too, SV?  ???

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 19, 2017, 04:19:50 PM

We'll never know now.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 04:25:44 PM
These are alleged claims and even though folks may settle that does not mean they necessarily did what was alleged.  Many times people settle because they want the problem to go away.  Yeah, it may make them look guilty but many times they aren't.  Take Savage and Art Bell.  Yes Savage made comments that appeared likely to be referring to Art and his wife but he didn't say their names.  He supposedly settled to make the problem go away.  Art likely would have lost in court.

Do you always blame the victim? If it were a female relative of yours who was being harrassed, would you tell her to get over herself, be brave and suck his cock because he was special? Or just tell her she was making it up?

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on April 19, 2017, 04:31:57 PM
Do you always blame the victim? If it were a female relative of yours that was being harrassed, would you tell her to get over herself, be brave and suck his cock because he was special? Or just tell her she was making it up?

I'm skeptical of claims when the target of such claims has a huge bank account and I don't think a man calling a black female, Hot Chocolate, is something to get upset about.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 19, 2017, 04:35:09 PM
I'm skeptical of claims when the target of such claims has a huge bank account and I don't think a man calling a black female, Hot Chocolate, is something to get upset about.

Hannity has a huge bank account. Why hasn't he been singled out? But that doesn't answer my question; What if it involved a relative of yours?

Everybody is a victim of something or someone at some point in their lives.  Many get over it and move on.  There are victims and there are victims.  I'm for helping victims of cruel behavior but for every little thing. No.  I don't like the victim mentality so prevalent in Western Society.