No
3 (17.6%)
No
14 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Marc.Knight

Art summed it up...

[attachimg=1]

Give us your predictions about how Art's new show will impact C2C and our favorite object of bashing... Noodles.

lava filling

I'd like to think a little competition would make Snoory shape up or ship out, so to speak... but I think instead of trying to one-up Art in the "edgy" department, he'll go the opposite track and really focus on cornering the angels and portals market.  Retired Catholic cat-ladies rejoice!

Marc.Knight

Quote from: lava filling on July 30, 2013, 04:06:16 PM
I'd like to think a little competition would make Snoory shape up or ship out, so to speak... but I think instead of trying to one-up Art in the "edgy" department, he'll go the opposite track and really focus on cornering the angels and portals market.  Retired Catholic cat-ladies rejoice!

Turmeric infomercials here we come!

Morgus

I'm not sure that pay satellite radio really competes at all with over the air broadcast free radio.
Kinda like a pay TV channel like HBO doesn't really compete with the free broadcast TV networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox)
Sure they each take some of the total pool of listeners, but for ratings the broadcast networks probably worry more about comparing against their direct competitors in the same market?

Maybe Noory will just start adding a phrase to his promos, like you can listen to the paranormal topics with him for "Free" unlike other shows?  8)

onan

I know so little about the business of radio. But I do know that ratings are chump change compared to subscriptions.

SiriusXM has over 25 million subscribers... lets say at 4 dollars a month. That's 1.2 Billion a year... plus they have commercials.

Ravenna

I don't think they'll compete much.  The people willing to pay to listen to radio are similar to the people who are willing to pay to get HBO.  To a certain degree, it's a different standard of folks (in a way I hesitate to put into words), and even more so for radio:  there are old school people who will simply refuse to pay for radio. 

I would never have paid to listen to radio were it not for Art.  To listen to him again is the ONLY reason I'm doing it.

And I have to hand it to Art.  He summed up Snoory nearly completely in those three words.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 04:38:53 PM
I don't think they'll compete much.  The people willing to pay to listen to radio are similar to the people who are willing to pay to get HBO.  To a certain degree, it's a different standard of folks (in a way I hesitate to put into words), and even more so for radio:  there are old school people who will simply refuse to pay for radio. 

I would never have paid to listen to radio were it not for Art.  To listen to him again is the ONLY reason I'm doing it.

And I have to hand it to Art.  He summed up Snoory nearly completely in those three words.

Outstanding post!  Absolutely correct, satellite and terrestrial radio are not competitors, they are different mediums.  A few years ago, Arbitron did a study of free AM/FM vice satellite radio listenership in cars, where the overwhelming majority of satellite receivers were placed.  Results were that nearly 15 times more of those who listend to radio in automobiles listened to free AM/FM as opposed to SiriusXM.  That ratio will be even greater in non-automobile environment. 

Terrestrial stations/networks do not even consider satellite numbers during sweeps, they are such an insignificant percentage of total listeners in any market.  There are far more people listening to MP3s and similar systems than satellite as well.  Since XM and Sirius merged, they have no real competition in the satellite medium.

Morgus

I think Noory's Beyond Belief video podcast subscription service is closest to competitive with Art Bell's pay Sirius deal.
With Noory for $10/month you get a 1 hour video podcast of him and a guest in a fake set once a week, not really any better than listening to him interview the guest for free on the radio except you see him and the guest move their head and hands around. You can also watch some other video podcasts without Noory.

With Art Bell and Sirius for $15/month or so, you get four 3-hour radio shows a week (12 hours total minus commercials/breaks) plus other Sirius programming.

I would think the 3000 or so claimed current subscribers to Norry's video podcast could cancel and use the $10/month to partially offset the monthly fee for Sirius. 

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 04:38:53 PM
... And I have to hand it to Art.  He summed up Snoory nearly completely in those three words.

Not to mention the 3 words he used last time (although he didn't name names):  'mailing it in'

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 30, 2013, 07:20:47 PM

Not to mention the 3 words he used last time (although he didn't name names):  'mailing it in'

I seem to recall another 3 words he used about Dave:

"George gets it".

Clearly Art was having a senior moment as he called him George and not Dave.

I bet Art does not talk about Coast much at all. Maybe he will address it on his first show.. But I think Coast will be an afterthought.. there is no need now to talk about it. Coast to Coast AM grew up, and left home. It made the choices it did and, as an adult, needs to live with the consequences.

stenjay

He is going to have to address Coast very specifically in his first show and set some ground rules, otherwise the open lines will be rife with C2C/Dave sucks and it will become repetitive, like giving a five year old a drum.  I call that he makes some sort of statement and then black lists the subject so that we can just focus on the new show instead of how bad the old one/host sucks.  I'd put money down this is how it will happen.

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on July 30, 2013, 07:40:06 PM
I seem to recall another 3 words he used about Dave:

"George gets it".

Clearly Art was having a senior moment as he called him George and not Dave.

Dave should be "getting it" now.

popple

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2013, 04:14:07 PM
I'm not sure that pay satellite radio really competes at all with over the air broadcast free radio.
Kinda like a pay TV channel like HBO doesn't really compete with the free broadcast TV networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox)
Sure they each take some of the total pool of listeners, but for ratings the broadcast networks probably worry more about comparing against their direct competitors in the same market?

Maybe Noory will just start adding a phrase to his promos, like you can listen to the paranormal topics with him for "Free" unlike other shows?  8)

Yes, perhaps you are right about free radio, but I know that all the shows Art does will eventually find their way to his fans and future fans. And those shows will be far superior than what people will be getting from the newest incarnation of C2C. If Jorch is able to create even one "classic" in the same time Art will be at his new radio home... then I will be extremely shocked. I know Art is going to deliver us many shows we'll be replaying for years. Just like our old favorites.

Nucky Nolan

Coast will sound even more like an infomercial. It'll be about as edgy as Pat Boone and Lawrence Welk were in George Noory's day. Expect an increase in boring programs on alternative health, as well as pessimistic economics, when they book fewer paranormal experts. You'll probably hear more from fundamentalists with Nephilim obsessions.   

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 01, 2013, 02:57:35 AM
Coast will sound even more like an infomercial. It'll be about as edgy as Pat Boone and Lawrence Welk were in George Noory's day. Expect an increase in boring programs on alternative health, as well as pessimistic economics, when they book fewer paranormal experts. You'll probably hear more from fundamentalists with Nephilim obsessions.

YOu forgot the SPLIT SHOW staple.. evil government

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 01, 2013, 06:57:42 PM
YOu forgot the SPLIT SHOW staple.. evil government

He'll have more split shows due to "phone problems". That's a euphemism for irritated guests who hang up after one too many inane comments/questions or guests whose conversations can't be managed by index cards.