• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Bomar on February 23, 2017, 06:55:33 PM
There are only two names in Broadcast Media worth remembering...

Ernie Kovacs and Art Bell...

All others are intimations and poor copies of the originals...

Bomar

I would include Stan Freberg.

Quote from: Bomar on February 23, 2017, 06:42:59 PM
Dude,...

He is the one who created this "Talk Radio Format"...

He allowed Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh to climb out of the swamp of "Drive Time Radio"...

He caused this problem we are discussing now...

He is the true "Radio God", ....  All Praise the "Art" and let's all together sing his montra;  "Hummmmmm"....

Bomar

I don't know if he created the all night talk radio/phone in format, but Larry King was doing it in the early eighties before he descended into the miasmic swamp of CNN.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 23, 2017, 07:06:43 PM
I don't know if he created the all night talk radio/phone in format, but Larry King was doing it in the early eighties before he descended into the miasmic swamp of CNN.

Funny, he's on RT now and even THEY have more credibility than CNN now.  ;D

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 23, 2017, 07:13:36 PM
Funny, he's on RT now and even THEY have more credibility than CNN now.  ;D

:snicker: It's funny because it's true. lol  ;)

Dude,...

He allowed Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh to climb out of the swamp of "Drive Time Radio"...

He is the true "Radio God", ....  All Praise the "Art" and let's all together sing his montra;  "Hummmmmm"....

Bomar

I see. Well, Mr. Bell sounds very impressive indeed. I'm assuming he's a godfearing Christian, family man? Faith & family are the two most important things on this earth.

Bomar

Quote from: deviant aristocrat on February 23, 2017, 07:23:14 PM

I'm assuming he's a godfearing Christian, family man?

Dude,...

I do not know, and I would not hold that against him if he was...

Bomar

Quote from: Bomar on February 23, 2017, 07:26:32 PM
Dude,...

I do not know, and I would not hold that against him if he was...

Bomar

And if he's not?

GravitySucks

Dude,...

Bomar

Long John Nebel was doing long form paranormal while Art Bell was a kid.

http://talkers.com/greatest/17rNebel.htm

albrecht

Quote from: Bomar on February 23, 2017, 06:55:33 PM
There are only two names in Broadcast Media worth remembering...

Ernie Kovacs and Art Bell...

All others are intimations and poor copies of the originals...

Bomar
No love for Derry Brownfield, Bill Cooper, or Bruce Williams?  :'(

ItsOver

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 23, 2017, 05:45:07 PM
..Should I just hang it up for good (like you did) and just start taping "The View" every day?  :-[  :-\
Do you have a stalker?  If not, just a light a firecracker outside your door some night and let the taping begin.

Bomar

Dudes and Dudettes,...

Alan Colmes is dead, ... Bummer...

Rest in Peace, ... you were one cool dude...

Bomar

Nobody

Quote from: Damon on February 23, 2017, 02:18:32 AM
WTF Heather Wade is at number 38?

As-yet unexplained is the dropoff in listeners after the top 10 people on that list.  Without knowing a) how many listeners each programme has and b) the audience share of each programme, the list doesn't convey much useful information.

Heather does not yet appear to have so much as a 1% audience share:

http://streamingradioguide.com/listen-trend.php?showid=9574

...so it is unclear to me why that list is being touted as some sort of Big Deal.

ItsOver

Quote from: Nobody on February 23, 2017, 11:38:46 PM
As-yet unexplained is the dropoff in listeners after the top 10 people on that list.  Without knowing a) how many listeners each programme has and b) the audience share of each programme, the list doesn't convey much useful information.

...so it is unclear to me why that list is being touted as some sort of Big Deal.
It's just Bell trying to tell "thuh haterz" "see, see, I told you HW is getting better every day!" Great, she wins the BellGab participation trophy for the day.  Look at where Noory is in the rankings and we all know he sucks.

... so it is unclear to me why that list is being touted as some sort of Big Deal.

Isn't an appearance on this list, along with induction into the Radio Hall of Fame, at least in part paid for, i.e., ''advertising''? 

Nobody

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 23, 2017, 06:50:14 PM
So no love for Arthur Godfrey? What about that other guy, Gene something-or-other?

Jean Shepherd.

I don't know what kind of reputation he enjoys in the 21st century, but he is the best storyteller I have ever heard.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Nobody on February 24, 2017, 01:07:27 AM
Jean Shepherd.

I don't know what kind of reputation he enjoys in the 21st century, but he is the best storyteller I have ever heard.

That's the man! I was blanking out on his name, thanks, mate.

I don't care one way or another about MITD, but ranking 38th out of 50 on a list like that is definitely not cause for celebration. Rocky Mountain oysters and lutefisk place higher than that on the list of the fifty most popular meat products.

albrecht

[[/b]
Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 24, 2017, 01:20:29 AM
I don't care one way or another about MITD, but ranking 38th out of 50 on a list like that is definitely not cause for celebration. Rocky Mountain oysters and lutefisk place higher than that on the list of the fifty most popular meat products.
Hey! Lutefisk is a delicacy, although an acquired taste or traditional ordeal, in the actual sense of the word. Frankly a fight on a cross-roads blanket might be a better form of justice than a lutefisk dinner at church, at least there if you die you get to drink, and fight, to eternity in Valhalla.

Quote from: albrecht on February 24, 2017, 01:31:09 AM
[[/b]Hey! Lutefisk is a delicacy, although an acquired taste or traditional ordeal, in the actual sense of the word. Frankly a fight on a cross-roads blanket might be a better form of justice than a lutefisk dinner at church, at least there if you die you get to drink, and fight, to eternity in Valhalla.

We may have our political differences, but sometimes you remind me of Gomez Addams, and I mean that in the best possible way. Cheers! 

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 24, 2017, 01:45:22 AM
We may have our political differences, but sometimes you remind me of Gomez Addams, and I mean that in the best possible way. Cheers!
Thanks! I loved that show, so take it as great compliment! I enjoy your posts as well. I don't see politics or whatever as not appreciating things or people who differ. I actually LIKE.diversity and contrary opinions and cultures. One reason I like borders and, some, laws. Also dont understanding investing so much In politics where It divides friends, families, etc or even just decorum. When I visit, or live, in "x" country I like to see/be in "x" culture. (Having said that they aren't all relative ot worthy and some I won't go and would rather they don't come here.)

ge30542

Quote from: ItsOver on February 24, 2017, 12:38:05 AM
It's just Bell trying to tell "thuh haterz" "see, see, I told you HW is getting better every day!" Great, she wins the BellGab participation trophy for the day.  Look at where Noory is in the rankings and we all know he sucks.
Exactly this.
Why make a single post, of industry numbers, which show the defendant as number one?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Bomar on February 23, 2017, 09:04:14 PM
Dudes and Dudettes,...

Alan Colmes is dead, ... Bummer...

Rest in Peace, ... you were one cool dude...

Bomar

Hannity's show was much better with Colmes on it.

MV/Liberace!

narratives.

Quote from: Σ> on February 24, 2017, 01:02:28 PM
Hannity's show was much better with Colmes on it.

I agree.  I prefer debate which is something Hannity still engages in but much less so these days especially on his tv show.

littlechris

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 24, 2017, 01:29:51 PM
I agree.  I prefer debate which is something Hannity still engages in but much less so these days especially on his tv show.

Hannity is a big Fucken ASS kisser and he's always interrupting his guests. And that football thingy he does, I want to shove that football up his ASS!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: LittleChris on February 24, 2017, 01:35:33 PM
Hannity is a big Fucken ASS kisser and he's always interrupting his guests. And that football thingy he does, I want to shove that football up his ASS!

He kind of is but still didn't french as much asshole as the mainstream media did with Obama.  ;)

Quote from: LittleChris on February 24, 2017, 01:35:33 PM

The football thing is stupid.  I've only watched his show maybe once in the past five months.  Only a handful of times since Colmes left.  My problem with him is he reiterates talking points over and over again ad nauseam.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 24, 2017, 01:29:51 PM

yeah, hannity's tv show now is just echo chamber bullshit (and i never rated his radio show at all).  i don't follow him on tv, and when i accidentally catch parts of it, i hear him repeating the same statistics about food stamps each time.  people watch this crap?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 24, 2017, 01:40:55 PM
My problem with him is he reiterates talking points over and over again ad nauseam.

you beat me to it.

Quote from: Σ> on February 24, 2017, 01:43:03 PM
yeah, hannity's tv show now is just echo chamber bullshit (and i never rated his radio show at all).  i don't follow him on tv, and when i accidentally catch parts of it, i hear him repeating the same statistics about food stamps each time.  people watch this crap?

I have better things to do like posting on Bellgab or fucking my wife especially at that time. lol.