• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Help me pick a new laptop

Started by area51drone, November 14, 2014, 12:02:41 AM

area51drone

I'm in need of a laptop.  My trusty netbook just isn't covering it with the small screen resolution anymore.    I need one with at least 1920x1080 native resolution, but hoping to find something sub $400.    More than happy to buy used or refurbished - this machine is just going to basically be a dumb terminal using TeamViewer, so it doesn't need a lot of power.   Screen size is the top priority, and also that it must run Windows.   Should also have bluetooth and wifi built in, but I can't imagine a laptop with 1080p not having that.

Any suggestions?  This is about the closest I have found, but even used it's more like $500.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231573&cm_re=1080_15_windows-_-34-231-573-_-Product

area51drone

Apparently this is no easier than I found out myself.   Oh well. 

Alright, how about just a 19" flat panel monitor? They sell for like $8-10 each.

b_dubb

go to cnet and use their site to find a cheap laptop

VtaGeezer

Black Friday/Cyber Monday is two weeks away.  Check the big computer and office store ads.  Look out for peripheral compatibility w/Win 8.  I returned a new laptop last month because there is no Win 8 driver for my perfectly good 4 yr old Canon printer and the hundred bucks worth of ink carts I bought on sale.  F*** Microsoft.  There oughta be a law...

wr250

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 15, 2014, 12:08:54 PM
Black Friday/Cyber Monday is two weeks away.  Check the big computer and office store ads.  Look out for peripheral compatibility w/Win 8.  I returned a new laptop last month because there is no Win 8 driver for my perfectly good 4 yr old Canon printer and the hundred bucks worth of ink carts I bought on sale.  F*** Microsoft.  There oughta be a law...
windows 8 doesnt support my older hp laserjet.
linux however supports nearly every printer ever made (theres a generic postscript driver that works on almost any printer, with reduced functionality).

zeebo

The only laptops I can stand to use are Thinkpads.  They've generally got great keyboards and nice matte-not-glossy screens and to me the essential thumbstick thingy.  Most consumer laptops seem to be made now for playing movies, whereas thinkpads are more like little tanks for business use.  As a bonus they usually run linux pretty well, in case you ever repurpose it from a windows machine. 

Currently I'm still pouding away on one that I've had for like six years, so I can't speak to the more recent models, but I think they pretty much keep the same style.  Often you can find a used one one ebay for reasonable bucks which is part of a lot that had previously been in some corporate setting and usually those are in pretty good shape.

area51drone

Quote from: b_dubb on November 15, 2014, 11:03:43 PM
Not for less than $500

Tried to respond to you bdubb, but apparently you're blocking me.  Not sure what I said to piss you off this time but no, it's not me.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on November 15, 2014, 04:14:17 PM
The only laptops I can stand to use are Thinkpads.

ThinkPads are good, too. 

area51drone

I ended up going with the Asus.  I like my Asus MemoPads.   It seems like a solid laptop.  A bit big for my tastes, but it will do the job.    Thanks for the advice everyone.   Now I just have to get used to Windows 8.. fuck

cweb

Bump... Tax return time, which means a little money for a laptop. My budget tops around $1k but I'd prefer to spend 700-800.

It would be general usage, with some AV programming (Crestron) happening. I want to do Windows with the potential for a Linux dual-boot.

Thinking at least an i5 and at least 4GB of RAM. I would prefer to go i7 and 8GB, honestly. I like Asus, Lenovo, and kinda HP. No Dell. Battery life isn't a huge factor, nor is touch capability.

My question isn't necessarily what to get. It's what else should I be considering when comparing laptops? Is there any feature or perk that you regret overlooking in the past?