• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Oculus Rift and other VR

Started by area51drone, February 02, 2014, 01:42:40 AM

area51drone

Listening to spec sheet now... I've been following the rift for a while, and I too would love to know when they're coming out for real.

The biggest problem I see with the rift is you can't use it on an Xbox or PS. 

My current VR setup is a Sony HMZ-T1 combined with a TrackIR.   It's pretty good, but it's not completely immersive because the screen is like being in a movie theater rather than full peripheral vision.   Better than nothing though!  I use it for flight simming.    I CAN hook it up to the Xbox and it's definitely more immersive than just a regular tv, but no head tracking, which can get confusing because it's immersive enough that you tend to want to turn your head.

area51drone

Apparently no one gives a shit about this stuff except me, but alas, I will post this link as a bookmark for myself.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/18/5222372/avegant-glyph-the-mainstream-virtual-reality-headset

If I didn't already have a Sony HMZ, I would probably buy this.  They have the same FOV though.  The rift has a wider FOV that should make it more immersive than either device.

steelbot

Quote from: area51drone on February 06, 2014, 11:04:35 AM
Apparently no one gives a shit about this stuff except me, but alas, I will post this link as a bookmark for myself.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/18/5222372/avegant-glyph-the-mainstream-virtual-reality-headset

If I didn't already have a Sony HMZ, I would probably buy this.  They have the same FOV though.  The rift has a wider FOV that should make it more immersive than either device.
I posted this yesterday on my facebook
EVE: Valkyrie Announcement Trailer

EVE-VR: Oculus Rift View Demo

Oculus Rift: The Best and Funniest Oculus Rift Reactions Ever Compilation. Mejores reacciones

Agent99

Oh trust me, I care. The time I spent with the Oculus Rift at CES 2014 was the highlight of the show.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/16/oculus-rift-crystal-cove

(yes, I wrote the article)

How much are these going to cost when released?
It says the developer kit is $300 but I'm not sure what the price on the goggles is.

area51drone

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the price they're shooting at for the consumer version too.   I definitely want a pair.   The wide field of view is what appeals to me the most.

area51drone

Quote from: steelbot on February 06, 2014, 11:33:38 AM
I posted this yesterday on my facebook

Fuck that game looks awesome Steelbot.   Hopefully my shitty graphics card can handle it.   I should be able to play it in 3D when it comes out,  but having the head tracking if they don't support TrackIR and the wider FOV is where it's at.

slippingaway

I was wondering if anyone has an OCZ NIA (neural interface acctuator).  I was thinking that the Occulus Rift could benefit from neural interface too!

I was going to get one, but OCZ made them EOL (end of life).  I might still find one! I want to see the raw data and test it as a lie detector.

Good blog I was reading up about the oculus rift in.
http://3dvision-blog.com/

bateman

I'm guessing everyone here knows by now, but Oculus was just acquired by Facebook. And the internet lost its collective mind: http://www.salon.com/2014/03/26/betrayed_by_oculus_rift/

"Straight fucked."

area51drone

Quote from: bateman on March 26, 2014, 08:54:09 PM
I'm guessing everyone here knows by now, but Oculus was just acquired by Facebook. And the internet lost its collective mind: http://www.salon.com/2014/03/26/betrayed_by_oculus_rift/

"Straight fucked."

No I hadn't heard that yet, thanks for posting the link Bateman.   Straight cuckold fucked.

albrecht

Quote from: area51drone on March 26, 2014, 09:36:27 PM
No I hadn't heard that yet, thanks for posting the link Bateman.   Straight cuckold fucked.

I guess I could care less because I don't game or use Facebook but these things like Kickstarter or other ways small companies raise money is just a voluntary donation? Not an investment in that firm or company? It would seem to me that the people that kicked in money (invested) should also gain the benefits of the company's success and of the sale of the company. Why would someone use kickstarter (or other similar devices) if there is no share, equity, or benefit? Unless they just want give money away to someone (which is fine, but then one can't expect that person to give it back or do exactly what you wish with it.)

steelbot

Well I brought up this point today during me and my cousin's early morning coffee and ...smoke breakfast.  He asked me what I thought about it, and I said, from what i've heard and seen/read.  I think the real cream of the crop that all these current vr goggles are shooting for is either adults in their 30's that want to really experience movies/games.  or the medical industry.  If you can get all super 3d scans of the body at super resolutions and walk thru it three dimensionally it can assist with pretty much all types of procedures.  Question raised, "yeah but they've been showing us that stuff for years with peeps in these rooms wearing goggles" counter - yes but now every doctor/'hospital can purchase 1 or 50 or however many is needed and do it right there on the spot as the scan is taking place.  (puts radio imaging techs probably out of biz)...or they'll be the one's using it too.  who knows, but I think it brings medical stuff to the front and center along side gaming/entertainment.  Reminds me of a mini holodeck without the physical stuff to it, or like that episode of next generation, when all the crew get hypnotized by that game that injects itself right into the cornea and occipital lobe or some shit, think wesley figures it out first or is the first to go, can't remember...

area51drone

albrecht, yeah it is interesting - but really you have no benefit to buying into kickstarter aside from 'what you get' by donating.   These people for the most part got their early version headsets.    I recall Zach Braff (spelling?) of Scrubs fame made a kickstarter for some movie, and it was funded to the tune of millions, and he promptly sold it for millions and took the profits for himself.  All the people got were to watch the movie.   Maybe some of them got into the credits, but Zach who was probably already a millionaire and didn't want to use his own money to finance the project, just became more rich.   I think the more this kind of shit happens, the less people are going to fund kickstarter projects, which is sad really.    Oh well.  I'm sure that guy that founded Oculus is laughing his way to the bank now that he has his millions of dollars.     Here's the formula:

1) think of cool project you want to see happen
2) Make a mockup of your product
3) Make a snazzy video to promote it
4) Post said video on kickstarter
5) Rake in a couple million
6) Raise more money through VC now that kickstarter proved your idea
7) Sell to huge company for 100x what you made off kickstarter
8) Quit