• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 7 build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine.

Started by Mels-hole1984, October 25, 2013, 11:11:44 AM

area51drone

If I was going to do a build on an older pc, and put only some linux flavor on it,  wanted it to be seamless and work pretty much right out of the box (ie printer/scanner, etc common hardware), and look as much like windows as possible - what would you suggest wr250?   Just like, I download this ISO, burn it to a dvd, pop it in and 2 hours later I have a PC I could give to my uncle that he could use to do what I mentioned before.    I haven't kept up on it, so I'm curious.

wr250

Quote from: area51drone on April 21, 2014, 04:45:14 PM
If I was going to do a build on an older pc, and put only some linux flavor on it,  wanted it to be seamless and work pretty much right out of the box (ie printer/scanner, etc common hardware), and look as much like windows as possible - what would you suggest wr250?   Just like, I download this ISO, burn it to a dvd, pop it in and 2 hours later I have a PC I could give to my uncle that he could use to do what I mentioned before.    I haven't kept up on it, so I'm curious.

depending on the specs either lubuntu (low spec) or kubuntu. you might like the std ubuntu w/unity, but i dislike unity. actually im a command line type of guy for the most part.

area51drone

I know, but these kinds of pc's wouldn't be for me or you. 

wr250

Quote from: area51drone on April 21, 2014, 10:13:20 PM
I know, but these kinds of pc's wouldn't be for me or you.

well ubuntu is targeted at the average windows user.
another is linux mint. again targeted at the average windows user.
again if you are trying to run any of these on a pII 500MHZ computer, you will be sorely disappointed (i think xp with sp3 has higher requirements than that).

Juan

Don't overlook pc-bsd from pcbsd.org.  It's FreeBSD unix with an i386 or amd overlay. There are both 64-bit versions and 32-bit, and lots and lots of applications.

area51drone

Near where I live there is a government surplus center.  Last year they were selling desktop 2.4ghz P4's with a gig or two of ram, and a 40 gb hard drive for $40.  I'm sure what they're offering now is better.    I have a couple of them running, one with xp and one vista, and they work okay for my business.   But they'd be perfect to get someone up and running on the cheap, although lately I've been just buying netbooks when I need a new pc.  You can get a 1.4ghz atom netbook with a 120gb hard drive and a 10" screen, complete with windows 7 now on ebay for about $120.   At these prices, the netbooks are throw-away.    I just bought a nice Acer MemoPad tablet, quad core processor, tegra 3 for $130 shipped.   Fucking crazy how cheap stuff is if you're willing to go the used route.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on April 21, 2014, 05:07:15 PM
depending on the specs either lubuntu (low spec) or kubuntu. you might like the std ubuntu w/unity, but i dislike unity. actually im a command line type of guy for the most part.

lubuntu is great.  i install it on a lot of older machines my customers bring to me.  i usually don't hear from them again for a really long time after that, if at all, because it is so low maintenance.

Stellar

Quote from: Mels-hole1984 on March 23, 2014, 07:52:11 PM
All I know is I bought the damn thing at Best Buy three years ago and its not functioning properly. I get it, my shits old and its time to buy a new computer. It shouldn't be telling me my software is not genuine. That's whats pissing me off.
Did you ever have a tech work on you PC other than yourself.  It possible they installed a pirated copy of windows 7.