• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mp3 conversions settings compatible with smartphones

Started by eddie dean, August 19, 2013, 03:20:05 PM

eddie dean

I'm trying to determine what the issue is when I upload MP3 to this site and they fail to download to a smarphone.
My first thought was the conversion settings I'm using, to compress the WAV file to MP3,
are not compatible on mobile phones.

I am using Sound Forge ver 9.0
Save as MP3 feature
I have tried settings of:
128Kbps transparent audio,
192Kbps unicode (compatible with devices that read metadata)
All have failed to work..
I will try to use 96Kbps and lower and see if that works.......

EDIT: All attempts at adjusting the Kbps on the WAV to MP3 conversion process, with or without Unicode, have failed

eddie dean

Above MP3 downloads to a smarphone are all unsuccessfull. Maybe its not a MP3 encoding issue.....
i will try the different attachment pulldown options next...

MV you Probably hate me doing this.
Sorry feel free to delete these if I'm crossing any lines.

Inline expandable thumbnail attachment
[attach=1]

eddie dean

above didnt work
next is

inline full size image.....I dont have high hopes for this one.LOL

Edit: removed attachment

eddie dean

NOPE.
WTF
I have dowloaded other MP3 clips from this site with no problem on my phone!
WHY wont this work??
Anyone?

eddie dean

Next is to find and analyze the MP3 clips that others members have uploaded, that I have been successful in downloading on a smart phone, to see what the difference is..

EDIT: no help there.

Any audio techs out there that can point me in the right direction?

eddie dean

one more try with:
24Kbps 12,100Hz and 16 bit

EDIT: added Unicode Encoder Mp3 with above Kbps HZ and bit rate and it Failed..
Also removed Attachment

eddie dean

clean up long file name and replace "spaces "

EDIT: Removed Attached file,

"im_dave_noory.mp3"

eddie dean

again at 192Kbps and remove file name spaces

EDIT: to remove attachment

eddie dean

I cant believe it was that simple!
I removed the file name spaces and replaced them with "_"  and, what do you know, downloaded with no problems...
The sample/bit rate had NOTHING to do with it!!
stupid technology!!!
I've been working on this all afternoon!!

Thanks MV.

ziznak

Quote from: eddie dean on August 19, 2013, 06:34:41 PM
I removed the file name spaces and replaced them with "_"  and, what do you know, downloaded with no problems...
stupid technology!!!

Thanks MV.
I'm using the part near the end with the texxxeen sample as my txt notification for most people

eddie dean

Quote from: ziznak on August 21, 2013, 06:12:49 PM
I'm using the part near the end with the texxxeen sample as my txt notification for most people

Good idea!

steelbot

Personally and soon to be professionally  ??? I use Adobe Audition to convert my files to mp3 - 320 constant 48000 if I'm ripping my own content, I use Media info on aqquirred content, and convert to nothing below those bitrates if used in content i create....and I use MP3 Tag to clean up any mp3 file i may find to ensure only the tag's are there how i like em for my players...plus removing the tag's that may identify previous ripping tools and what not - to get a clean mp3 tag with an HD album art that I can get (currently working with 800x800 pngs...)   but now for my archives of say DM - I'm only doubling the input from 64kbs to 128kbs so as to not loose to much fidelity on the official files...I could record at 320 if i wanted, but if the show is only in 64kbs..why do it further injustices...128 sounds best in my car stereo over 64...how I roll!

steelbot

Quote from: eddie dean on August 19, 2013, 03:20:05 PM
I'm trying to determine what the issue is when I upload MP3 to this site and they fail to download to a smarphone.
My first thought was the conversion settings I'm using, to compress the WAV file to MP3,
are not compatible on mobile phones.

I am using Sound Forge ver 9.0
Save as MP3 feature
I have tried settings of:
128Kbps transparent audio,
192Kbps unicode (compatible with devices that read metadata)
All have failed to work..
I will try to use 96Kbps and lower and see if that works.......

EDIT: All attempts at adjusting the Kbps on the WAV to MP3 conversion process, with or without Unicode, have failed

I'm gonna point out a few things here...What phone/mobile device....a free software that works good is freemake video (DOES AUDIO TOO) - anyways...then how are you transferring to said mobile? itunes....or other various means... does your software SF Been a long time since i used that, have a proper mp3 encoding engine....sorry not much of a non tech way to ask this shit..

eddie dean

Quote from: steelbot on October 07, 2013, 12:39:05 AM
I'm gonna point out a few things here...What phone/mobile device....a free software that works good is freemake video (DOES AUDIO TOO) - anyways...then how are you transferring to said mobile? itunes....or other various means... does your software SF Been a long time since i used that, have a proper mp3 encoding engine....sorry not much of a non tech way to ask this shit..

The issue wasn't  uploading the mp3 into a Smartphone (samsung galaxy) or transferring into a mp3 player. The problem was downloading mp3 files from this site using a Smartphone.
The download works fine using a PC regardless of filename, but it would fail when trying from a SP.
I thought it had something to do with bit rate/sample rate but I was wrong. The issue was the spaces in the mp3 file name. Apparently some SPs have a glitch with downloading mp3 with spaces.
I replaced the space with an underscore and it downloaded perfectly.
An example: Noory Sucks mix1.mp3 =failed download.
I renamed to:  Noory_Sucks_mix1.mp3 =downloaded perfectly
Thanks for the info on programs for converting audio files!! I might check them out.
SF 9.0 is an older program, I might need to upgrade to make sure the mp3 conversion process is current.

steelbot

Quote from: eddie dean on October 13, 2013, 10:35:02 PM
The issue wasn't  uploading the mp3 into a Smartphone (samsung galaxy) or transferring into a mp3 player. The problem was downloading mp3 files from this site using a Smartphone.
The download works fine using a PC regardless of filename, but it would fail when trying from a SP.
I thought it had something to do with bit rate/sample rate but I was wrong. The issue was the spaces in the mp3 file name. Apparently some SPs have a glitch with downloading mp3 with spaces.
I replaced the space with an underscore and it downloaded perfectly.
An example: Noory Sucks mix1.mp3 =failed download.
I renamed to:  Noory_Sucks_mix1.mp3 =downloaded perfectly
Thanks for the info on programs for converting audio files!! I might check them out.
SF 9.0 is an older program, I might need to upgrade to make sure the mp3 conversion process is current.

ah gotcha

Tarbaby

Quote from: eddie dean on August 19, 2013, 06:34:41 PM
stupid technology!!!

Thanks MV.

Yes, that doesn't happen as often as it used to years ago but as you see it can still happen. That spaces aren't allowed in filename. It depends on the software involved on both ends.