• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nexus 4, Thoughts?

Started by ponyboysunset, April 20, 2013, 05:35:21 PM

ponyboysunset

Hello all,
I am getting a Nexus 4 as my update of choice. Do any of you have this phone, and if so what do you think? I am currently uploading a small chunk of music to the google cloud for streaming, as the phone is 16gb. Any thoughts are appreciated.

onan

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 20, 2013, 05:35:21 PM
Hello all,
I am getting a Nexus 4 as my update of choice. Do any of you have this phone, and if so what do you think? I am currently uploading a small chunk of music to the google cloud for streaming, as the phone is 16gb. Any thoughts are appreciated.

The little I read about it suggests if you are with T mobile, you are golden. If you are with another carrier 3G is as good as it gets... right now.

MV/Liberace!

it's very disappointing there's no cdma (sprint/verizon) version of this phone.  i have the galaxy nexus, which is the previous generation of the nexus line.  i absolutely love the phone.  the nexus 4 has better specs, so i expect i'd love it even more.  as with all nexus devices, it's a pure google experience with no manufacturer or carrier software bloat.  you'll always have the latest version of android by using a nexus device.  however, that hasn't been the case with the galaxy nexus on verizon.  verizon delayed the update of this device to android 4.2.2 by like four months.  it was complete bullshit.  verizon was essentially allowed to nullify the whole premise behind this being a nexus device.  perhaps that's why google didn't bother having LG manufacture a CDMA version.  the overwhelming majority of the world uses GSM anyway.

i hope google starts taking tighter control of certain things.  carriers can't be trusted.

Pragmier

Pragmier

FYI good news about the Nexus 4:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nexus-4-could-gain-cdma-and-4g-lte-support/

Quotea rumor has linked Google and LG with a revised version of the phone, this time with a radio which happily supports CDMA bands and 4G LTE data speeds. The rumor indicates Google will reveal the updated Nexus 4 during Google I/O, its annual developer conference which starts next month.

slipstream

QuoteHowever, instead of giving us a microSD card slot, the built-in memory could be upped to 32GB. The Nexus 4 can currently be purchased with either 16GB or a pathetic 8GB of storage space.

I'd rather have the microSD card slot.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on May 04, 2013, 08:56:54 AM

I'd rather have the microSD card slot.

me too, unless they're going to put an obscenely large amount of memory on board (which they never do).  flash memory is really cheap these days, so i can't understand why top tier phones are shipping out with so little of it.

fotd

I've owned a Nexus 4 16GB model for a month now.  It is my first smartphone.  My previous Android experience was limited to playing around on my wife's DroidX2 and installing a custom ROM for her.  I view myself as technically proficient, love linux, command lines, etc....  you get the idea.

My main motivations for buying the N4 were:
Google device, gets the latest updates with no delay
Gives a pure Android experience, no bloatware
Developers device, gets the latest custom ROMs
Plenty of carrier/prepaid SIM options
High performance for the price (quad core, 2GB RAM)

My doubts about it:
Small internal storage
Inaccessible battery
Glass back made me nervous

When I unboxed the phone, the first thing I noticed is how beautiful  the back glass is.  It's not too flashy, as some of the first photos on the web made it appear.   It feels very sturdy, and is very light.  The whole phone has a slick feel to it, and I'm glad I bought the OEM bumper for it.  The bumper adds little bulk, and it enhances the feel and grip just the right amount.  If I didn't know better, I would probably feel it was part of the phone.

I bought  a StraightTalk T-Mobile SIM.  Downloaded a template to cut it to fit the microSIM tray of the Nexus 4.  No problems and had it running and the APN setup in minutes.  Vanilla Android is great, but I love tinkering, so I visited xda-developers and read up on things.  Used WUGfresh's root toolkit, unlocked, rooted, flashed Paranoid Android ROM, with Franco's kernel.

Everything I've tried with this phone runs fast, haven't had any issues at all.  Even the StraightTalk prepaid service is working fine in my location.  It helps that I'm in the middle of Savannah, GA.  T-Mobile coverage is good throughout the area.

I feel like I'm rambling, it's late.  If you've got specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

edit:  dropped it only once. Hardwood floor from 4 foot counter.  Not sure what side it landed on, but it doesn't have any scratches or cracks.  I keep it in my pocket or on a desk at all times, so my worries about the glass are mostly unwarranted.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: fotd on May 10, 2013, 11:56:59 PM
Even the StraightTalk prepaid service is working fine in my location.

running one of the most advanced phones in the world on... straight talk.  it's just amazing you can even do that. 

ponyboysunset

Don't know why the difference in price, but for me I am rebuilding my credit so I am buying the phone in installments, as I have no car payment, or house payment currently. Probably paying for the ability to make payments.

As for my Nexus 4, I have no complaints. I love it. It doesn't get locked up on me like my old phone. Using google music, and storage, I have no need for an sd card. Everything is in the cloud. While my old phone served me well, this one is awesome. Huge screen, lightweight, and basically has replaced my ipod. I wonder if there tablets are as good?

fotd

I bought my 5yo daughter a Nexus 7 tablet for Xmas.  It's worked great for her.  We on opted for the 32GB version so she could fit ripped movies and TV shows on it.  Definitely a keeper.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: fotd on May 20, 2013, 06:54:32 PM
I bought my 5yo daughter a Nexus 7 tablet for Xmas.  It's worked great for her.  We on opted for the 32GB version so she could fit ripped movies and TV shows on it.  Definitely a keeper.

i've heard nothing but good things about the nexus 7.  i want a nexus 10.

williedee

i just ordered a nexus 4 for tmobile's prepaid $30 plan. I'm getting pretty excited!

fotd

I've got the OEM bumper on mine and dropped it twice in the last month.  Both times from over four feet onto concrete.  It protected it both times, much to my relief.  I would suggest getting some kind of protection for the phone since it's got glass on both sides. 

In other news, I've been using the StraightTalk (TMobile) unlimited plan since mid-April, using 15GB per month with no throttling issues.  I'm surprised I can get away with that much use.

ponyboysunset

I love mine, although I did have to send the first one back. I had a touch screen issue, but tmobile sent me a brand new one and this one I have had no issues with. It's a great device. :)

Speaking of the Nexus 4, is anyone interested in buying one?

I'm selling my lightly used 16GB version.  Too lazy to set a price just yet (sorry), so make an offer via PM if interested.  Used it on T-Mobile for a few days, and its a great phone.  But I was getting zero bars at the batcave on T Mobile, so it was a glorified MP3 player for me.  No scratches or bad pixels, though I did have to use a power drill to open the SIM card slot.  Not really.

BTW, both the Nexus 7 and 10 are fantastic tablets.  I buy everything Nexus (for the reasons MV mentioned - the clean Android OS), and it runs smooth as silk on both.  They are probably going to update soon - memory at least, maybe processor - but if you are on the fence choosing between the two, save up a little longer for the Nexus 10.  The Samsung build quality edged out Asus' on the N7 and many of the standard Android apps felt a little cramped on the N7.  One major difference for some people will be the notification light on the N10, which the N7 lacks (and if you haven't used the "Light Flow" app, do so immediately if your device supports it.  Varying color and flash rate of the light conveys so much information to you with merely a glance).  If your use is mainly a reader, the lighter weight and ability to hold the N7 in one hand (and better rear grip texture) might be more appealing to you.  But even using the Kindle and Nook apps, I found the feel of the N10 to be more "book-like", in that the screen looked like a real page of material rather than a part of a page on a smaller screen.  Horses for courses, though.

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on July 17, 2013, 06:38:54 PM
Speaking of the Nexus 4, is anyone interested in buying one?

Sold to a delightful 20-year old who says the computing power now in her hands will be "great for checking Twitter".  Oh, they are adorable. 

Thanks for tolerating a sales ad in the tech forum. (I cleared it with MV before mentioning it, as I didn't want to set an unwanted precedent.)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on July 18, 2013, 09:30:04 AM
Sold to a delightful 20-year old who says the computing power now in her hands will be "great for checking Twitter".  Oh, they are adorable. 

Thanks for tolerating a sales ad in the tech forum. (I cleared it with MV before mentioning it, as I didn't want to set an unwanted precedent.)

did a coastgab user buy it?

Quote from: MV on July 18, 2013, 06:00:40 PM

did a coastgab user buy it?

No, a student who works in the lab down the hall from my office.  It was pretty funny, because I preferred cash, so she had to go to the bank and come back.  And given the 90+ degree weather, she wasn't exactly wearing her Sunday best.  Nothing like a random girl in a mini running down the hall to stuff a few hundred in bills into your hand to paint a nice image for the entire office.

I should have looked around and said "Yeah, that's right. They pay ME."  ;D