• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Demonoid goes down for the count!

Started by ziznak, July 27, 2012, 05:27:49 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on August 12, 2012, 07:19:05 PM
I listened to fridays show earlier today and poster had some site where you can DL mp3's apparently like the day after or something

ha still had the link open n didnt know it
http://greggtonyandjim.blogspot.com/

thx much.

williedee

I run the relay for funky (Roy's) shoutcast streams, increasing his slots to well over 100. I talk to him regularly, perhaps I could find out why/how he names the shows. Also, he encourages people to download stuff, as his site could go down any time. Just thought I'd chime in!

ziznak

Quote from: williedee on August 17, 2012, 03:33:11 PM
I run the relay for funky (Roy's) shoutcast streams, increasing his slots to well over 100. I talk to him regularly, perhaps I could find out why/how he names the shows. Also, he encourages people to download stuff, as his site could go down any time. Just thought I'd chime in!
Tell funky he's the friggin man and we LOVE him here!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on August 12, 2012, 07:19:05 PM
ha still had the link open n didnt know it
http://greggtonyandjim.blogspot.com/

this has been great.  thx again for telling me about it.

jazmunda

Before Demonoid went down a guy used to post all the weekly shows including SIT and the classic shows. Does anybody know if this guy is uploading those shows somewhere else now? Do you post here kind sir?

I am asking because in the past 2 weeks Art's shows have been reinstated to the Classic Shows list. They are from 2007 and I am replacing my files from 2006 onwards that don't include the bumper music with these classic shows that do. The Demonoid torrents were the only place I could acquire this and since Demonoid's demise I haven't been able to get these files anywhere.

gustne

Note that Malacoid has posted magnet links to all his archives on ArtAudio Google Group   So far, there are few or no seeds...

ziznak

Quote from: gustne on September 19, 2012, 08:51:52 AM
Note that Malacoid has posted magnet links to all his archives on ArtAudio Google Group   So far, there are few or no seeds...
hmmmmmmmmm worth a shot though.  as long as at least somebody has the files shared some data should move... could take a year or two though.  might wanna copy this whole post somewhere:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/artaudio/BxuZLRQ55RQ

gustne

Baldy "encourages people to download stuff, as his site could go down any time."

How about HAL, Ziz, and others do a tutorial on how to batch-download from Baldy, even if it has to be done in batches, using Jdownloader, Flashget, or another suitable downloader.  (anything is better than grabbing one at a time)

I have 23,000 episodes including everything MaLaCoiD has uploaded, but I would like to replicate everything Baldy has prior to MaLaCoiD's epic contribution. (in case Anonymous actually does the mirror-site thingy).  I use JRiver MediaCenter for my .mp3 manager--both player and re-tagger--it has no issues with getting around Baldy's format.  I have a (complex) MC re-tagging template to re-engineer the date tag to the logical numeric year-month-day-hour format. My primary motivation is to get a filename and/or tags that work well in the half-ass iPhone/Music player. (The free version of MC is called Media Jukebox)

BTW, the Pastebin looks to be the perfect vehicle for sharing the link lists...  The RapidShare link triggers my AV app.

As far as sharing episodes without Demonoid, maybe we haven't given enough tech attention to how difficult (or not) it is to use FTP.  I notice that FileZilla now has a server app.  Would this complicate the d/l process for ftp sharees?  And another thought--I have had recent encounters with 2 snoopy ISPs with regard to 'illegal' torrent traffic...is ftp traffic similarly at risk of ISP analysis?

HAL 9000

Quote from: gustne on September 23, 2012, 09:45:57 AMBaldy "encourages people to download stuff, as his site could go down any time."

How about HAL, Ziz, and others do a tutorial on how to batch-download from Baldy, even if it has to be done in batches, using Jdownloader, Flashget, or another suitable downloader.  (anything is better than grabbing one at a time) <snipped for brevity>

I could probably have the direct links of FB's entire site done later tonight if I really tried - but maybe I'll proffer a somewhat "tongue-in-cheek" challenge:

You get the links, but have to rename them all following the conventional date format which allows for proper sorting. In the past, I've written some little scripts for my batch-renamer, but since FB even varies occasionally from his chosen format, it comes down to a lot of manual work.

As for finding a way to share, that's fairly easy, but is dependent on the desired outcome. If one just wanted to share with a close-knit limited amount of folks, one could just upload the entire content to their own account with their ISP, and only give out the links to trusted individuals.

I recently uploaded the entire "Deep Archives" section, meticulously renamed, to my Rapidshare account (I am a premium member, so I have literally unlimited storage). Deep Archives is about 18GB total. As a "free user" one can download from my RS account, but only one-at-a-time, and slow rates. The solution, however, is to buy a Rapidshare account for one month (9.90 â,¬, or $13 USD) and download unlimited amount at unlimited speed... then use the rest of the month to get as much stuff as our hard drive can hold the other 28 days. This is quite cost effective, as I would estimate FB's entire archive at maybe 100-500GB (?)...

The problem with storing them on your own account/ISP isn't so much storage size, but bandwidth limitations - one would probably run out if only one person downloaded the entire archive for that month. There would be no such worries when using a hosting service like Rapidshare.

The other two solutions that come to mind are setting up a very easy HTTP server program which allows users you select (via username:password) to have access to only certain partitions/folders of your choosing. But again, you'd be uploading constantly... the other solution would be torrents, but again, since you would be the initial seeder, it would take forever for these files to propagate efficiently, especially considering most leechers won't seed after downloading.

So I'm open to suggestions as to how best to share, but since I deleted untold GB of c2c stuff years ago, I'm no longer a collector. I do have the entire Deep Archives collection up on Rapidshare, as well as all nine season of X-Files, and all 156 episodes of The Twilight Zone (among hundreds of GBs of other stuff), but no c2c on my hard drives.

I'm pretty sure I posted the Dreamland section of direct-links here somewhere... I may have restricted it invitation-only by Private Message to encourage peeps to become members... anyways, if I'm to leech all the direct-links from FB's site, I need to stop typing, and start leeching.

HAL 9000

Well, against my better judgement, I went ahead and parsed all of the direct links from FB's c2c archives. This means you can have every show from FB's site in a few hours (well, maybe overnight).

As best I can tell, there are 3203 files - my best estimate is this would be ~160 GB of data.

Of course, as I've mentioned in other posts, because of the naming convention used by FB, they will not be sorted  by date on your computer. Now, as to downloading, I tried JDownloader, and since some filenames contain illegal characters in Windows, the links are not properly parsed, so JDownloader only recognized about 3000 files. DO NOT USE JDOWNLOADER.

I had previous success using Flashget, which was able to correctly parse all links. There may be other download managers which will function properly also, but I only tested Flashget. Just remember there are 3203 links - so if your download manager parses that many links, you're probably in business.

One caveat, which I've also mentioned previously: DO NOT attempt to download too many files simultaneously. Point One: it will NOT increase throughput meaningfully, Point Two: FB's server links do NOT allow for a resume feature, therefore, if a file is interrupted for any reason, it will be skipped, and you won't know which ones were missed unless you went through all 3203 files meticulously, looking for filesize anomalies.

My suggestion is 2-3 simultaneously... no more.

Here is the link - inside is a plain-text file with all the direct links for you to insert into your download manager. The links are current as of 2012-09-24.

Additionally, so as to prevent CG GUESTS from benefitting from my work, I have password-protected the file. Just send me a PM and you'll be downloading in no-time. Within a few hours, you too will have one of the most complete c2c archives on earth.

I did not do a complete site-rip of all archives... I left out:

Dreamland with Whitley Strieber  (Updated monthly)
    Ground Zero Archives (Clive Lewis)
    Coast to Coast Live Archives (Ian Punnitt)[sic]

Happy downloading!

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/1340338926/direct.link.site.rip.2012.09.24.rar

ziznak

only 160gb?  why does that seem small?

HAL 9000

Quote from: ziznak on September 26, 2012, 12:54:54 AMonly 160gb?  why does that seem small?

I verified the estimate with a download manager, but the simple math works out easily:

3200 shows
~50MB per show give or take

(3.2x103) x (50x106) = 160 GB

(yes I'm aware the math nomenclature is technically incorrect, but was used for easy/illustrative purposes)

gustne

"Note that Malacoid has posted magnet links to all his archives on ArtAudio Google Group   So far, there are few or no seeds..."

Once I got dht activated correctly, router to dmz, and an anonymizer, all of Malacoid's archives are seeding.

analog kid

Demonoid trackers are back online. Might be a sign that the site is returning soon.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on November 12, 2012, 12:46:07 PM
Demonoid trackers are back online. Might be a sign that the site is returning soon.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ziznak

WHAT WHAT WHAT???
Thats friggin awesome... I actually just explained the whole demonoid coming down story to a non-demon friend of mine... will we still have our accounts??? ya know so that the gubment can track us now??? gotta be a trap!

analog kid

Yeah.. maybe it's coming back as a honey pot?

But surely no world government would begrudge us our Art Bell archives...

MV/Liberace!

I just received this:

Dear Demonoid Community Member,

We have all read the same news stories: The Demonoid servers shut down and seized in the Ukraine. The Demonoid admin team detained in Mexico. The demonoid.me domain snatched and put up for sale. The Demonoid trackers back online in Hong Kong, but then disappearing.

We all wanted to believe that Demonoid would be resurrected once again; but it seems that these events have spelled the end of Demonoid as we have always known it. We all waited to see if Demonoid would return, though its now clear that this time its really gone.

Now for some good news: The heart and soul of Demonoid lives on!
Through an amazing sequence of unlikely events, the data on those Ukrainian servers has made its way into the safe hands of members of our community and has now been re-launched as d2.vu

Invitations to return are being sent out only to existing Demonoid members, which is the reason you have received this email. For the foreseeable future d2.vu will remain a semi-private site and no new invitations to join will be issued until we are certain that the system is stable. To login, click here and authenticate using your old Demonoid username and password.

Demonoid may be gone, but the community lives on at d2! Welcome home!

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on May 08, 2013, 03:15:57 AM
...Welcome home!
Isn't that the universal greeting which members of the hippie cult "The Rainbow Family" use with each other at each successive site of their traveling commune? Just sayin'...

jazmunda

I was a Demonoid member and I didn't receive that email.

Sardondi

Quote from: jazmunda on May 08, 2013, 07:56:40 AM
I was a Demonoid member and I didn't receive that email.
I think that means they don't count you as one of The Family. Damn.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 999 on May 08, 2013, 10:37:08 AM
d2.vu was a scam/phishing malware site

http://www.reddit.com/r/torrents/comments/1dwlf3/psa_do_not_use_the_new_demonoid_everything_about/

hmm.  well, i didn't even try loading the site until this morning, and it's never successfully loaded for me.  however, i wonder... how would they have known i have a demonoid account (and the email address to notify me at)?  i guess there's a chance they just sent spam out to a gazillion email addresses, some of which are going to be former demonoid users... but i'm not sure if it's time to give up just yet...

MV/Liberace!

supposedly, this new site was hosted on a VPS.  with the amount of traffic a new "demonoid" could expect, this is a bad sign.  also, the hosting company is in the united states (another bad sign since nobody with a brain would host a demonoid resurrection in this country).  furthermore, the hosting company says it has shut the VPS down because the site was hosting malware (a reeeeally bad sign).  also, not everybody received the email, which makes no sense.  it sounds like someone got access to a part of the old demonoid user database and spammed the email addresses on it for the purpose of either phishing login credentials or installing malware on machines.

if you signed in to this apparently fake demonoid and you use the same credentials on other sites, you should change those passwords immediately.  also, incidents like these are a great reminder of why you shouldn't have java installed on your machine.  it's a GREAT way to wind up with malware.

ziznak

I'm a member and I didnt receive my fisching scam email?? I feel left out.

Frys Girl

I've given up on these sorts of sites. I just try to be more picky with what I buy. It's not worth the risk to my computer or my credit.

Thanks for all of this information, everyone. I got the e-mail and chose to ignore it. Call me Alex Jones, but I think it's a setup.