• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on June 24, 2017, 03:43:52 PM
Of course... Thanks.  I think I ran across that when I was looking at Cab Calloway. Cool to see it again.  :)

Very welcome.  Thanks for the memory jog.  I almost didn't get it because I thought that Stormy Weather was in color, but of course it wasn't.

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 24, 2017, 03:52:08 PM
Very welcome.  Thanks for the memory jog.  I almost didn't get it because I thought that Stormy Weather was in color, but of course it wasn't.

I haven't seen Stormy Weather yet though I have it in my collection.  I love the song.  Jeff Lynne and George Harrison did a nice cover version of it.  Lynne and his songs about weather. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6oEpfIMGY

albrecht

Tonight: "Creature From The Black Lagoon" on Svengoolie. Which is on MeTV which is on many cable companies and also on many free antenna stations. I really liked this movie.

I recall 7/11s (?) gave away free cardboard red/green 3D glasses when it was reshown on tv in the early 80's (I think?) Even without the 3-D it is a good movie. I wonder if I could find red/green glass if the effect would still work or if that was a special broadcast? Or if new non-tube tvs it wouldn't work? I know the newer 3D glasses and 3D tv mode doesn't seem to work that great and when you aren't wearing the glasses the image is sorta blurred (but that is newer tech.) The 3D in theaters works well (using another technique- not red/blue deal- now, though I generally don't like it because so much CGI also it is too overwhelming and both seem to be resulting in less plot or acting and more on just 'effects.'
ps: I recall we switched out red and green swim goggles to try to get 3D as a kid. Ummm, we already see in 3D in real life! HA.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on July 15, 2017, 06:16:00 PM
Tonight: "Creature From The Black Lagoon" on Svengoolie. Which is on MeTV which is on many cable companies and also on many free antenna stations. I really liked this movie.

I recall 7/11s (?) gave away free cardboard red/green 3D glasses when it was reshown on tv in the early 80's (I think?) Even without the 3-D it is a good movie. I wonder if I could find red/green glass if the effect would still work or if that was a special broadcast? Or if new non-tube tvs it wouldn't work? I know the newer 3D glasses and 3D tv mode doesn't seem to work that great and when you aren't wearing the glasses the image is sorta blurred (but that is newer tech.) The 3D in theaters works well (using another technique- not red/blue deal- now, though I generally don't like it because so much CGI also it is too overwhelming and both seem to be resulting in less plot or acting and more on just 'effects.'
ps: I recall we switched out red and green swim goggles to try to get 3D as a kid. Ummm, we already see in 3D in real life! HA.

I remember that too. I've always been a fan of 3D movies. Fuck everyone else. What do they know anyway?  ;)

ItsOver

Great creature classic.  I usually tune in when Sven shows it.  I'm hoping he gets around to showing "Curse of the Undead" again.  One of my favorites.
I'm watching "Soylent Green" on CometTV at the moment.  What did Jorch call Heston this week?  Charleston Hest or something equally stupid?  ::)

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on July 15, 2017, 07:04:09 PM
Great creature classic.  I usually tune in when Sven shows it.  I'm hoping he gets around to showing "Curse of the Undead" again.  One of my favorites.
I'm watching "Soylent Green" on CometTV at the moment.  What did Jorch call Heston this week?  Charleston Hest or something equally stupid?  ::)
Yep and also some butchering of 'Kolchak' actor Darren McGavin- "Derrick Macgavern" or "Darren Mcgovern" or something. He also cut out open-lines and replayed his lame "Morgus" appearance in studio to cut Friday night short. So lame. Alas, I don't get CometTV on my satellite but do get MeTV and several others, so I'm good.
But after this ball game it will be "Creature From The Black Lagoon."

I've got a 3D tv and the 3D version of the film.  Have yet to watch it.  Always forget to charge my 3D glasses. :-\ Also have 3D of Dial M For Murder and House of Wax

Quote from: ItsOver on July 15, 2017, 07:04:09 PM

Curse of The Undead with Eric Fleming and Michael Pate.  Great film. Keep on waiting for that to show up on DVD or Blu-ray.  I'd also like to get those cheesy films, Jesse James Meets Frankenstein and Billy the Kid Vs. Dracula.

Heads up, Barnes and Noble is having their July Criterion sale.  Every film is 50% off.  Blu-rays are thus $17.99 and DVD's $14.99.  They also run the sale every November.  Got some goodies today like The Lodger, The Blob, The Asphalt Jungle ,Straw Dogs and some others.  The Lodger video has an extra silent Hitchcock on it called  Downhill aka When Boys Leave Home.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 15, 2017, 07:44:42 PM
I've got a 3D tv and the 3D version of the film.  Have yet to watch it.  Always forget to charge my 3D glasses. :-\ Also have 3D of Dial M For Murder and House of Wax
Grace Kelly in 3D? Nice! I'll get some glasses for that!!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 15, 2017, 07:55:47 PM
Heads up, Barnes and Noble is having their July Criterion sale.  Every film is 50% off.  Blu-rays are thus $17.99 and DVD's $14.99.  They also run the sale every November.  Got some goodies today like The Lodger, The Blob, The Asphalt Jungle ,Straw Dogs and some others.

Cool! I love the Criterion Collection releases.  8)

Quote from: albrecht on July 15, 2017, 07:56:30 PM
Grace Kelly in 3D? Nice! I'll get some glasses for that!!

The Twilight Time blu-ray label has some nice 50's 3D noir films and The Mad Magician.  Waiting 'til they go on sale though as as the price tag is a bit steep.

I'd like to see a decent print of Hitchcock's first sound film, Blackmail as well as prints of Murder and the Secret Agent.  I've always wanted to see Secret Agent as it starred John Gielgud when he was actually fairly young.  He was fairly old even by the time of the 1950's Julius Caesar with Brando.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 15, 2017, 07:59:03 PM
Cool! I love the Criterion Collection releases.  8)

Yeah, I also bought some foreign films from Bunuel and Fellini.  I have yet to understand Fellini though I've really only watched 2 films of his, La Dolce Vita and Satyricon as well as his segment in Spirits of the Dead with Terence Stamp.  Got an early film of his called I, Vitteloni and also Juliet of The Spirits.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 15, 2017, 07:47:02 PM
Curse of The Undead with Eric Fleming and Michael Pate.  Great film. Keep on waiting for that to show up on DVD or Blu-ray.  I'd also like to get those cheesy films, Jesse James Meets Frankenstein and Billy the Kid Vs. Dracula.
I really love the dark atmosphere of "Curse of the Undead.  Perfect for the Halloween season.  Pate is great as the cowboy vamp.  Sven needs to show it again so I can DVR it.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on July 15, 2017, 07:20:42 PM
Yep and also some butchering of 'Kolchak' actor Darren McGavin- "Derrick Macgavern" or "Darren Mcgovern" or something. He also cut out open-lines and replayed his lame "Morgus" appearance in studio to cut Friday night short. So lame. Alas, I don't get CometTV on my satellite but do get MeTV and several others, so I'm good.
But after this ball game it will be "Creature From The Black Lagoon."
CometTV has been spreading across the land, so keep an eye open for it.  A really great mix of old-timey sci-fi and horror schlock.  Yesterday, they also had "X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes," one of Ray Milland's horror/ sci-fi flicks.  But that "Charleston Hest"
is the best.  ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 15, 2017, 08:13:54 PM
Yeah, I also bought some foreign films from Bunuel and Fellini.  I have yet to understand Fellini though I've really only watched 2 films of his, La Dolce Vita and Satyricon as well as his segment in Spirits of the Dead with Terence Stamp.  Got an early film of his called I, Vitteloni and also Juliet of The Spirits.

I notices they had Being There on sale. I might pick that up.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 16, 2017, 08:58:58 AM
I notices they had Being There on sale. I might pick that up.

Yeah, I bought Being There at Costco a few months ago.  They get some Criterions every now and then and sale them at $19.99.  I don't even consider getting it if they are over $20 unless it is a rarity or something special.  I'll spend a little more on that especially for old silents that are supposed to be good but have slipped through the cracks.  Doing my little part to preserve films.

Shout Factory has just restored and remastered the Pink Panther series of films with Sellers. They are selling them as a set.  This will be the first time all of the Sellers movies are in one set.

albrecht

Tonight on Svengoolie (found on MeTV channel and some local ones on free antenna or cable systems):
"Curse of the Undead" (1959)
Synopsis:
"The cinema's first vampire Western! Young women in a small Western town are dying one by one of an unknown malady involving massive blood loss. The Carter family's ranch is being terrorized by ruthless land baron Buffer. And a mysterious black-clad gunfighter with an aversion to sunlight has just arrived in town."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052718/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Watched a wonderful silent Western with Hart playing an anti-hero long before Clint Eastwood came on the scene.  If you look hard you might see John Gilbert in his first movie.  At an hour long, Hell's Hinges (1916) never lags and moves at a breakneck pace.  Some reviewers think it is a bit grim but I watched this after viewing a Swedish silent film, Sir Arne's Treasure (1919).  Now that film was depressing.  In that one,  3 Scottish mercs slaughter a Swedish family but cannot escape Sweden because of the frozen seas.  The film was largely filmed in the outdoors during what looked like an extremely cold winter.  There is some beautiful cinematography but the film is unrelentingly depressing.

Hell's Hinges - 4.25 stars
Sir Arne's Treasure - 3.25 stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-OaE_ZVBWE

Also watched Anthony Adverse (1936) with Fredric March, Olivia de Havilland and Claude Rains.  Wonderful globe-trotting 18th Century adventure about a bastard son who grows up and gets involved in the slave trade among other things.  Nice villainous Oscar-winning turn by Gale Sondergaard in a supporting role.  This was the first year that the Academy Awards honored supporting actors and actresses.  Many other wonderful character actors in this like Akim Tamiroff, J. Carroll Naish, Louis Hayward and Fritz Leiber.  4 stars.

chefist

Must watch doc if you like the movie, "The Blues Brothers".

https://youtu.be/rHMzKNR7iWc

I've watched some movies lately and thought I would write a bit about each of them.  First up, Salvador (1986) with James Woods, Jim Belushi and John Savage and directed by Oliver Stone.  I've expressed some anger with Stone over the years.  You might remember me tearing apart Natural Born Killers and I hated Born on the Fourth of July with a passion when I saw it at the cineplex decades ago.  To me, the only film I really liked from Stone was Platoon.

Anyway, I watched this one with interest and I thought it treated both sides of that conflict with fairness.  Yeah, the guerilla commies committed lots of atrocities.  There was no hiding those facts but it also pointed out that military government that the US supported was no better.  This movie takes you to the heart of the action with journalist Woods and sidekick Belushi getting as close as they can to the battle fronts  to the point of endangering their lives.  There is some gore in it which seems rather tame  compared to  what we see today and  there is also some sex in it. This is easily the best film that I've seen from Stone.  4.25 stars for Salvador.

Something's come up. I'll have to wait to post the later reviews.

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 29, 2017, 06:31:11 PM
This is easily the best film that I've seen from Stone.

Two men, under one sky.

Well, I've meant to mention a few movies that I've seen lately.  I have time for one now. A timely movie to see for the times we are in.  I've only seen bits and pieces before.

First up The Klansman(1974) with Lee Marvin, Richard Burton, Cameron Mitchell,  OJ Simpson, Lucianna Paluzzi (?), Linda Evans and  Lola Falana.  This is the notorious film where Richard Burton was drunk 24/7 and Sam Fuller was taken off the film leaving the directing job to Bond filmmaker, Terence Young, which might explain why Paluzzi (Thunderball) was cast as Marvin's secretary.  I have to believe she was dubbed though she mouthed her lines quite well.

I might as well outline the film.  Things are heating up in a small Alabama town where a white married woman (Linda Evans) is attacked and raped by a black man.  The Klan starts acting up while the local black population have settled on liberal Southerner (lol) Burton's place. Lee Marvin has the unenviable job of placating the two sides.  The white woman has been castigated and spurned by her husband who leaves her as well as the rest of the town for having the temerity to be raped by a black man.  She takes refuge in Burton's home while the Klan takes its own revenge by brutally raping a young black woman(Lola Falana). Meanwhile OJ is on a vendetta of his own and starts shooting various people.  Marvin with Burton's help tries to qualm the fires of people on both sides.

First, the good. Let me say that I think Lee Marvin's performance was just fine if not especially inspired.  Second, I do think the filmmakers did a decent job with what they had to work with. Director Young made 3 of the first 4 Bond films as well as the original Wait Until Dark with Audrey Hepburn, Richard Crenna and Alan Arkin.  OJ Simpson also has an undeniable screen presence.  The movie is not boring either.  I watched the new blu-ray release of it and everything made some sort of sense to me.  It has been described as difficult to follow but I had no problems with the plot.

Now the bad.  Burton is obviously not well and seems to be either drunk or in a perpetual hangover.  His character drinks all of the time in the film and I have a feeling that was real alcohol that he was drinking. He was having marriage problems with Taylor (much like their characters in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf) and was reportedly fooling around with a local married woman. He had to be hospitalized after the film and nearly died from what I've heard. Oh and his Southern accent was something to behold, Georgia by way of Wales.  ::) I don't think his character was all that necessary for the film.   Marvin is at the center of the film while Burton just lies around and spouts philosophy when he is not screwing Paluzzi and Evans( Yes, the previously raped woman :o).  Cameron Mitchell overacts his role as one of the worst of the Klan.   The film simply wallows in sleaze.  I'm not sure whether that was in the story or added to spice up the film.

I do wonder how the movie would have been if Fuller had directed his screenplay.  He liked to court controversial subjects  but the film was taken out of his hands when European investors insisted that Young direct.  I do wonder if the critics would have praised Fuller as being "brave" for adapting this material whereas they lambasted Young for being sleazy. 

It is too entertaining to totally trash but also rather brutal and not for sensitive souls. Not nearly as bad as critics have said but not that good either.  Who am I kidding?  It was a hoot! LOL 2.5 stars out of 5.

A quick bit.  I watched Maleficent for the first time.  It was a very beautiful looking movie.  One of the few movies today that I would call a work of art.  However, I had big problems with the film.  I've never viewed Maleficent in the original Sleeping Beauty as being a gray character.  She was a bad girl who reminded me a bit of a dominatrix.  She is a seductive character and was well-cast. Jolie is extraordinarily beautiful as always. I know today bad is good or so it seems much of the time but that has gotten to be a bit of a cliche. The second thing is Sleeping Beauty is awakened by Maleficent's kiss?  Please!  I love a good lesbian scene as much as any male does but a Disney story based on a famous fairy tale and they change the ending?  Yes, I know it supposedly wasn't a lesbian kiss but I think it was meant to advance the LGBTQ..... agenda.  I don't have a huge problem with that but to change a well-established tale?  Oh and let's make Stefan the one dimensional villain.  Men bad, women good.  No thank you.  3 stars out of 5 but with some reservations.

I am really tired of the agendas being pushed by Hollywood.

albrecht

Werner Hertzog's "Fitzcarraldo" (1982) a movie based on a true story and done without CGI (just exploitation of natives, brute force, and bad working conditions in the Amazon!) With the crazy, clinically, but great Klaus Kinski.  If interested there is also a documentary "The Burden of Dreams" about the making of the movie which is very interesting. A man wants to build an opera house in the jungle. This involves hauling a ship over an isthmus between two rivers to avoid the falls.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083946/?ref_=nv_sr_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083702/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Quote from: albrecht on September 07, 2017, 12:18:43 PM
Werner Hertzog's "Fitzcarraldo" (1982) a movie based on a true story and done without CGI (just exploitation of natives, brute force, and bad working conditions in the Amazon!) With the crazy, clinically, but great Klaus Kinski.  If interested there is also a documentary "The Burden of Dreams" about the making of the movie which is very interesting. A man wants to build an opera house in the jungle. This involves hauling a ship over an isthmus between two rivers to avoid the falls.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083946/?ref_=nv_sr_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083702/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I've got Fitzcarraldo around here somewhere though I have yet to view it.  I've seen the other Kinski/Herzog movies.  I liked Aguirre better than Nosferatu.  Not sure why Herzog bothered remaking the Murnau film when the original is perfect.  I do think Herzog is as talented as Murnau and he's arguably the most talented and fascinating filmmaker on the planet right now.  I find his documentaries even more fascinating than his fiction.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 20, 2017, 12:07:20 PM
I've got Fitzcarraldo around here somewhere though I have yet to view it.  I've seen the other Kinski/Herzog movies.  I liked Aguirre better than Nosferatu.  Not sure why Herzog bothered remaking the Murnau film when the original is perfect.  I do think Herzog is as talented as Murnau and he's arguably the most talented and fascinating filmmaker on the planet right now.  I find his documentaries even more fascinating than his fiction.

Herzog's doc about Kinski is worth a look. It's called Mein Liebste Feind (somewhat inaccurately translated as My Best Fiend) and you hear about what a raging nutter he was. He took to going on stage pretending to be Christ and someone gets on stage to argue with him. All very German.