• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Azzerae's Thread

Started by AZZERAE, May 30, 2019, 06:47:37 AM

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on July 06, 2019, 11:19:33 PM
Fuck me. I think he forgot Oppositional defiant disorder.

As for me- he's not too far off (though I suppose I should probably dissect the post and argue every single point while denying any of it applies.)

I should probably try reining it in a little and ignore Erinn... For some reason, intentionally blind crazy seems to pull out the worst in me (Senda, Heather, Lasha, Erinn...)
There had been no moon.  The new moon is just as difficult sometimes as the full moon.   A bad time for PMS.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 06, 2019, 10:47:55 PM
I know you're not alone dealing with various demons Azzerae and Sixteen, but really...Is this really the place for mutual/self psycho analysis?
I can see my navel more now that I lost a couple pounds.

But, to my credit the more I interacted with Azzy, as well as Swishypants, the less opportunities they had to be in other threads.  One way of looking at it.

As for how Azzy portrayed bi-forum users, some of his points were right on.  Other points about posters, though, show that he was very new.

Jojo

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 02:46:11 PM
I did not!  Thanks, that is very helpful.
YW  - Sorry I don't know the details by heart.  Are you outside the U.S.?  You have an accent.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 02:41:25 PM

That was fairly obvious with your penchant for end-stopped rhymes. You'll have to do a BellGab -themed Dunciad and get Yorkie to read it.

I can't believe you are suggesting more of my shitty verses hahaha Progress!

'Tis not the earnest plea that turns the heart,
But often scorn which does the greater part.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Sixteen on July 07, 2019, 02:56:17 PM
YW  - Sorry I don't know the details by heart.  Are you outside the U.S.?  You have an accent.

No, I'm from Seattle.  When I travel people think I sound Canadian, though I don't aboot or eh.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 03:03:33 PM
I can't believe you are suggesting more of my shitty verses hahaha Progress!

'Tis not the earnest plea that turns the heart,
But often scorn which does the greater part.

...When K_Dubb lays it all out
the girls all cry out, out!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 03:07:49 PM

...When K_Dubb lays it all out
the girls all cry out, out!

(You have rhymed the same word.  Quick, before he sees your shame!)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 03:10:46 PM
(You have rhymed the same word.  Quick, before he sees your shame!)

Goddam it Jim, I'm a technician, not a poet!

Jojo

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 03:06:26 PM
No, I'm from Seattle.  When I travel people think I sound Canadian, though I don't aboot or eh.
Seattle's a nice place with a cool ferry system.  You can give KSM aboot once in a while!

WOTR

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 02:32:05 PM
Allow me to stop you there. The UK uses grown up electricity. With grown up voltage and grown up three pin plugs going into grown up three pin sockets.. Further, the vast majority of UK electricity travels via grown up cabling underground instead of polluting the skyline with poxy badly erected poles and alleged cabling. So your tedious explanation will be lost on SV. He can't relate to adolescent electricity and it's distribution.
Ah, yes... 230 V 50Hz. Who the hell runs motors at 50Hz?  :-\

We, of course, run 240V as well... But that is reserved for appliances like stoves or dryers that require large amounts of power. Who needs to power a cell phone charger with 230V?

I will admit that your actual outlets and plugs are a better design. But they probably evolved that way as your average electrical is inherently more dangerous than ours.

My understanding is that many homes are one giant circuit rather than on individual breakers?*

*Actually, that is an honest question. I think they used to be- with fuses in the plug ends rather than a central panel with branch circuits after the war... But I'm genuinely curious if that is still the case with new construction?

Finally, he can still find the tutorial to be useful. modern ballasts are rated for anything between 120 and 277V... Or you can step up for industrial applications to 347V specialty ballasts in Canada...  ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 03:19:45 PM

We, of course, run 240V as well... But that is reserved for appliances like stoves or dryers that require large amounts of power. Who needs to power a cell phone charger with 230V?

They run at a nominal 230-240V and 13A. If you need more you can three phase it. Phone chargers just use step down chargers.

QuoteI will admit that your actual outlets and plugs are a better design. But they probably evolved that way as your average electrical is inherently more dangerous than ours.

How more dangerous? Firstly it's illegal to have any kind of socket or wall mounted light switch in a bathroom, there are also regulations on how close a socket or switch is to a sink with running water. Almost all power supply is underground that goes to an outside circuit breaker box.

QuoteMy understanding is that many homes are one giant circuit rather than on individual breakers?*

Not exactly. Power (Sockets) and lighting are separated, and mostly divided again into kitchen, upstairs, downstairs, and oven using several more amps. It's illegal to run a lighting circuit from a power circuit and vice versa. All are independent to each other, so if one goes down, the others stay functioning unless of course it's the mains supply at source.

Quote*Actually, that is an honest question. I think they used to be- with fuses in the plug ends rather than a central panel after the war... But I'm genuinely curious if that is still the case with new construction?

Three pin plugs are fused to protect the appliance, but that's in addition to the circuit breakers for each circuit supply.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 03:19:45 PM

I will admit that your actual outlets and plugs are a better design. But they probably evolved that way as your average electrical is inherently more dangerous than ours.

My understanding is that many homes are one giant circuit rather than on individual breakers?*

*Actually, that is an honest question. I think they used to be- with fuses in the plug ends rather than a central panel with branch circuits after the war... But I'm genuinely curious if that is still the case with new construction?

Finally, he can still find the tutorial to be useful. modern ballasts are rated for anything between 120 and 277V... Or you can step up for industrial applications to 347V specialty ballasts in Canada...  ;)

Quote from: Laurakinch on May 26, 2019, 01:01:29 PM
Holy shit, you are one tedious asshole.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 03:31:16 PM
They run at a nominal 230-240V and 13A. If you need more you can three phase it. Phone chargers just use step down chargers.

How more dangerous? Firstly it's illegal to have any kind of socket or wall mounted light switch in a bathroom, there are also regulations on how close a socket or switch is to a sink with running water. Almost all power supply is underground that goes to an outside circuit breaker box.

Not exactly. Power (Sockets) and lighting are separated, and mostly divided again into kitchen, upstairs, downstairs, and oven using several more amps. It's illegal to run a lighting circuit from a power circuit and vice versa. All are independent to each other, so if one goes down, the others stay functioning unless of course it's the mains supply at source.

Three pin plugs are fused to protect the appliance, but that's in addition to the circuit breakers for each circuit supply.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 03:33:48 PM

I refuse to host the next 'bring your own Château Haut-Brion Blanc' bash on the 'Greasy Bastard' you have moored down in Falmouth. So there.

WOTR

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 03:31:16 PM

Thanks for risking the (rather weak) wrath of SV...

*You have 3 phase run to each residence and available for use domestically?

I really have not looked at much about UK wiring, and it is interesting to learn a little. I only know about 50Hz because I had a very expensive piece of equipment come from Germany. It had a completely universal voltage 250HP motor. However, they were supposed to use different size sheaves (pulleys for the belts) when shipping to different countries. I eventually tracked mine down to having the "gearing" to run at 50Hz instead of 60. The end equipment was being driven at excessive speed...

Let's just save everybody the time...

:)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 03:43:08 PM

I really have not looked at much about UK wiring, and it is interesting to learn a little. I only know about 50Hz because I had a very expensive piece of equipment come from Germany. It had a completely universal voltage 250HP motor. However, they were supposed to use different size sheaves (pulleys for the belts) when shipping to different countries. I eventually tracked mine down to having the "gearing" to run at 50Hz instead of 60. The end equipment was being driven at excessive speed...

The first time herself visited me in England she brought (as well as the kitchen sink) her cast iron waffle iron..And it burnt the waffles when used as it would in the US. Thankfully, using less time we avoided that embarrassment later. It was close though.

ItsOver

Heh, heh, heh.  Good one, SV.  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 12:23:36 PM
I used to find when I changed out the 12's for 8's that I would only use half the number of bulbs (I would usually put a 2 bulb ballast and 2 bulbs in a fixture meant for 4.) You may find that you do not require more lights.

If you are even mildly confident with electricity (would swap out your own outlet), there are very easy and cheap ways of doing the swap (use the old fixture)- no marettes required anymore, and all new connectors have strip gauges on them for your pleasure. If you are actually interested in the project, I can post what you require and brief instructions... I think I had them down to under 15 minutes each from taking the 12's out to putting the 8's in... Probably plan on half an hour each...

I can also give specific light recommendations- but I would suggest something with a minimum of 5,000K. I know some people don't care for the white light- but they "look" brighter to people (handy if you are concerned that your space might be too dark without adding fixtures.)

*I lied... Just for SV, I will post an in depth tutorial with pictures here. I think I still have a fixture in an unused corner of the basement that I can swap a new ballast into...
I will say be careful. I mentioned before that sometimes contractors have an 'interesting' way of wiring. Test the sockets even after you flip the breaker. Better to do the house and leave a sign, or at least tell, others that you did- lest they "fix" the problem and whoops. Often what you THINK should shut it off won't. I mentioned a hilarious story before. Buddy of mine swapped out the ceiling fan in the bathroom. Got the job done and then needed to take a crap. Did and then thought? Wait, why is the fan working when I didn't flip the breaker back on? Hahah. Somehow the contractor wired the bathroom ceiling fan onto the kitchen's circuit- but lighting etc in bathroom was on the GFCI and own circuit.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 03:39:42 PM
I refuse to host the next 'bring your own Château Haut-Brion Blanc' bash on the 'Greasy Bastard' you have moored down in Falmouth. So there.

I had to hire someone else, you no longer fit into your outfit, even with the corset. One too many waffles, dear boy!

Seriously, who takes a fucking waffle iron on holiday with them? Did she bring the deep fat fryer too?

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 03:43:08 PM

*You have 3 phase run to each residence and available for use domestically?

I was a party, not the individual in question, who miswired a 3 phase plug and caused an incident in a clean room because the machine ran backwards, essentially push out the particles it was intended to collect. Fun times. I believe this quote was "it is easy, no problem, we don't need to call an electrician."

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on July 07, 2019, 03:54:29 PM
I will say be careful. I mentioned before that sometimes contractors have an 'interesting' way of wiring. Test the sockets even after you flip the breaker. Better to do the house and leave a sign, or at least tell, others that you did- lest they "fix" the problem and whoops. Often what you THINK should shut it off won't. I mentioned a hilarious story before. Buddy of mine swapped out the ceiling fan in the bathroom. Got the job done and then needed to take a crap. Did and then thought? Wait, why is the fan working when I didn't flip the breaker back on? Hahah. Somehow the contractor wired the bathroom ceiling fan onto the kitchen's circuit- but lighting etc in bathroom was on the GFCI and own circuit.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 03:56:45 PM
I had to hire someone else, you no longer fit into your outfit, even with the corset. One too many waffles, dear boy!

Seriously, who takes a fucking waffle iron on holiday with them? Did she bring the deep fat fryer too?

No, but she brought a large ziplock bag off freshly ground (at least it was 24 hours beforehand) coffee. Her main case weighed over 75 pounds. That isn't a typo. I'd rented a pretty little cottage in Derbyshire and she took it on herself to make sure we had 'proper' coffee and waffles for breakfast. I in turn introduced her to proper bacon and fish and chips in Sheffield and Whitby.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 04:01:31 PM

No, but she brought a large ziplock bag off freshly ground (at least it was 24 hours beforehand) coffee. Her main case weighed over 75 pounds. That isn't a typo. I'd rented a pretty little cottage in Derbyshire and she took it on herself to make sure we had 'proper' coffee and waffles for breakfast. I in turn introduced her to proper bacon and fish and chips in Sheffield and Whitby.

So, she didn't bring the coffee grinder because that would be FAR too heavy and cumbersome! Whence comes the obsession with waffles anyway? Toast not good enough?

Quote from: albrecht on July 07, 2019, 03:56:51 PM
I was a party, not the individual in question, who miswired a 3 phase plug and caused an incident in a clean room because the machine ran backwards, essentially push out the particles it was intended to collect. Fun times. I believe this quote was "it is easy, no problem, we don't need to call an electrician."

Mrs. Walks tried to use my ShopVac once while I was away and connected the hose up into the wrong connection.   Push instead of Pull.  POOF!!!!!

Of course I was then scolded for disconnecting the hose in the first place.   Why do I do that after each use?

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on July 07, 2019, 03:54:29 PM
... Buddy of mine swapped out the ceiling fan in the bathroom. Got the job done and then needed to take a crap. Did and then thought? Wait, why is the fan working when I didn't flip the breaker back on? Hahah.
I had once brought in an electrician to change a ballast in a dry fixture. He did it live, and it worked... For an hour or two. Turned out he bought one of the "universal" ballasts without checking voltage (347V).  :D

Quote from: albrecht on July 07, 2019, 03:56:51 PM

They were right... As long as you check rotation on a three phase. If it is reversed, switch any two legs and you are doing fine (that said- anybody who does not know that has no right saying "we don't need to call an electrician" and probably shouldn't be working on three phase anything...)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 04:05:32 PM
So, she didn't bring the coffee grinder because that would be FAR too heavy and cumbersome! Whence comes the obsession with waffles anyway? Toast not good enough?

Oh we had toast with real bread. And I cook a damn tasty chicken carbonara. I took her to Uncle Sams on Eccleshall Road but she wasn't at all impressed at the delicious cheese drizzled lovingly over the flame cooked burgers. That's a model railway running around the top of the wall.

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 04:09:49 PM
I had once brought in an electrician to change a ballast in a dry fixture. He did it live, and it worked... For an hour or two. Turned out he bought one of the "universal" ballasts without checking voltage (347V).  :D

They were right... As long as you check rotation on a three phase. If it is reversed, switch any two legs and you are doing fine (that said- anybody who does not know that has no right saying "we don't need to call an electrician" and probably shouldn't be working on three phase anything...)
I wish I could find it but a got an awesome pic of a crew that framed around a sagging power/phone/cable line. Not to the condos being built but the actual street power line which, from bad maintence was sagging and cut across the corner property a bit. It was amazing a real head-scratcher to remind you to specifically tell people what to do and monitor. Not sure but I assume they fixed since the units are up now.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on July 07, 2019, 04:15:43 PM
I wish I could find it but a got an awesome pic of a crew that framed around a sagging power/phone/cable line. Not to the condos being built but the actual street power line which, from bad maintence was sagging and cut across the corner property a bit. It was amazing a real head-scratcher to remind you to specifically tell people what to do and monitor. Not sure but I assume they fixed since the units are up now.

Quote from: Laurakinch on October 13, 2018, 03:26:14 PM
This shit is putting me into a coma.

DynamoHum

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 12:55:57 PM
I will try it again; I was underwhelmed.  I've never had the real thing over there but I understand there is supposed to be a crackly sort of burnt-sugar crust underneath which I did not achieve and it was just a giant, doughy roll.  I suspect a pan issue again.

Aim for slightly less finished consistency of a Danish, but the crust takes it to another level, kind of clear glazed doughnut but not as heavy.

I’ll try and get to the bakery near me that does it (rural village shop/bakery) and get one so I can take a picture and more adequately describe it for you. When I say it is a localised dish it’s probably less than a 20 mile area where they have ever been made. I am out of the area for them but only just, but still people around here haven’t heard of them.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 04:09:49 PM

Quote from: Laurakinch on May 02, 2018, 06:25:39 PM
what a load of horseshit

SredniVashtar

:(
Quote from: DynamoHum on July 07, 2019, 04:20:05 PM
Aim for slightly less finished consistency of a Danish, but the crust takes it to another level, kind of clear glazed doughnut but not as heavy.

I’ll try and get to the bakery near me that does it (rural village shop/bakery) and get one so I can take a picture and more adequately describe it for you. When I say it is a localised dish it’s probably less than a 20 mile area where they have ever been made. I am out of the area for them but only just, but still people around here haven’t heard of them.

You can get them in Somerset.