George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 26, 2011, 02:22:42 PM

"Can You Get Any Dumber"

That should be C2C's new promo. Listen to C2C to find out how dumb you can get!

I suggest we also each adopt this as our signature lines.  Show Simple George we support him. 

kf5iwe

GEORGE NOORY SUCKS!!! There that felt better

11angeleyes11

Quote from: kf5iwe on December 27, 2011, 05:31:58 PM
GEORGE NOORY SUCKS!!! There that felt better
Could be your diet or a bad pouch of e-foods. 

Gassy Man

Quote from: El Kragen on December 24, 2011, 12:25:31 PM
George was killing me with his scary Christmas story last night. Of course it had nothing to do with what they were talking about. And what is his fixation with children being killed and/or killed in front of their parents? Me thinks he's got some childhood and parenting issues to clear up.

The guest was explaining why she thought these types of Christmas stories were created.

Guest: I think if you want your kids to be good, what better what to keep them in line...

George: Oh my. Well listen to mine. A kid opens up a hhhuuuuuge box for Christmas and it's a jack-in-the-box. A hhhuuuge jack-in-the-box. He opens it up, the thing pops out and grabs the kid and brings him into the box and the lid closes. Now that's kind of scary, isn't it?

Guest: oh that's terrifying...

George: That would be horrible!

George: I mean how'd ya like to be the parent there. You get a kid a jack-in-the-box it pulls him in the box and you never see him again!
The no plot "story" was hardly more than a non sequitur . . . even the guest seems a little puzzled by how to address it talking to George more or less the way a relative talks to a small child that is trying to tell a "story."

Nebraska888

What a delight to listen to GEORGE KNAPP Monday night!  His two interviews with Childress and then the Lake Tahoe incident with two ufologists was so compelling that I could NOT go to sleep!  I emailed Knapp congratulating him on, once again, hosting one of the best Coast shows.  Knapp never responds because he is too polite to acknowledge my "unspoken" but OBVIOUS message:  Noory is NO GOOD as an interviewer!

Gassy Man

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 27, 2011, 09:21:55 PM
What a delight to listen to GEORGE KNAPP Monday night!  His two interviews with Childress and then the Lake Tahoe incident with two ufologists was so compelling that I could NOT go to sleep!  I emailed Knapp congratulating him on, once again, hosting one of the best Coast shows.  Knapp never responds because he is too polite to acknowledge my "unspoken" but OBVIOUS message:  Noory is NO GOOD as an interviewer!
He responded when I emailed him earlier this year -- he might just be busy.  Great guy.

Nebraska888

True, Gassy....you are probably right...and, frankly, that makes me feel better.  I hope that Knapp is just too busy to address my compliments!

My continuing question is this:  Why would a broadcasting company continue Noory's contract when it is blatantly clear to anyone with an IQ over 70 that Noory is inept?  I must admit that I actually feel sorry for him sometimes because he just doesn't GET IT!  What is it?  How could Noory listen to the other hosts and not realize that they far excel his intellect and questioning skills?  He appears to be oblivious....and in that oblivion lies the truth....he just doesn't have the mental capabilities to host a program that delves into deep intellectual realms.

Gassy Man

Noory came along at just the right time; when people are turning to celestial talk radio at night, and the programming is attractive to stations across the country.  As long as the business side keeps improving, no one cares in Corporate America about whether the quality fo the show is declining.

I know something about this from another point of view -- I'm a textbook author, and my book does reasonably well.  It's published by a leading, multinational company, and the truth is, the people there couldn't care less about whether the book is good or bad, so long as it sells.  It does, so we keep producing more and more editions.  But the moment that it stops selling well it will be gone, regardless of the merits of the book.  Now, on one hand, someone might thing, "Well, obviously if it isn't selling, it isn't that good,"  but the truth of the matter is that as with anything involving people and choices, the reasons for sales often havelittle to do with the merit of something.  People can choose a textbook based on such issues as the price, how many pages it has, or even what's the image on the book's cover.  We've had focus groups for each edition to get "research" on what people want, and the comments are often all over the board and contradictory.  There is little "science" to the "science" of marketing -- and I know because I studied it.

So, Noory may be lame, but people are tuning in enough that the show is earning money.  And until the ratings go down significantly he will keep his hosting job . . . a mass audience wants someone easy and friendly and who doesn't challenge them in any meaningful way, and Noory comes across that way in spades; what's idiotic to some people is comfortable to most of the others.  It's the niche audience of people like us -- who are starved for intelligent, learned conversation, even with the wackiness that Coast to Coast generally presents -- that are at odds with the mainstream.

Nebraska888

Gassy, your reply was enlightening and, frankly, extremely frustrating.  You are telling me, ultimately, that there is nothing we can do as Coast listeners?  As I listen to Noory's programs, I am thankful that he remains reticent when he has guests who need minimal prompting.  In these interviews, I still gain insight and enjoyment with little interference from Noory.  However, as you well know, there are guests who have a wealth of insight but lack the wherewithal to elaborate independently.  During those Noory interviews, I LITERALLY cringe as Noory's simplistic attempts fall flat and the guest flounders. 

It sickens me to think that Noory plans to stay on Coast INDEFINITELY.   

Gassy Man

I know exactly what you mean and have experienced many "interviews" where the interviewee is just about to say something truly interesting and Noory interrupts with some inane question or comment that takes things in the wrong direction.  I wish Coast to Coast would sponsor an opportunity for listeners to host a program once a month -- I'm convinced many of the posters here, who are intelligent and thoughtful, could do a better job than George Noory can.

In the meantime, keep posting your views and telling your friends . . . it's like a flock of birds -- all it takes is one person to start influencing another to change direction.  The show's ratings could very quickly diminish and Noory will be out the door.

Scully

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 27, 2011, 10:07:38 PM
Noory came along at just the right time; when people are turning to celestial talk radio at night, and the programming is attractive to stations across the country.  As long as the business side keeps improving, no one cares in Corporate America about whether the quality fo the show is declining.

I know something about this from another point of view -- I'm a textbook author, and my book does reasonably well.  It's published by a leading, multinational company, and the truth is, the people there couldn't care less about whether the book is good or bad, so long as it sells.  It does, so we keep producing more and more editions.  But the moment that it stops selling well it will be gone, regardless of the merits of the book.  Now, on one hand, someone might thing, "Well, obviously if it isn't selling, it isn't that good,"  but the truth of the matter is that as with anything involving people and choices, the reasons for sales often havelittle to do with the merit of something.  People can choose a textbook based on such issues as the price, how many pages it has, or even what's the image on the book's cover.  We've had focus groups for each edition to get "research" on what people want, and the comments are often all over the board and contradictory.  There is little "science" to the "science" of marketing -- and I know because I studied it.

So, Noory may be lame, but people are tuning in enough that the show is earning money.  And until the ratings go down significantly he will keep his hosting job . . . a mass audience wants someone easy and friendly and who doesn't challenge them in any meaningful way, and Noory comes across that way in spades; what's idiotic to some people is comfortable to most of the others.  It's the niche audience of people like us -- who are starved for intelligent, learned conversation, even with the wackiness that Coast to Coast generally presents -- that are at odds with the mainstream.

Your post nails it beautifully, GM, and "at odds with the mainstream" is exactly what we Coastgabbers are.  :P

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 27, 2011, 09:43:53 PM
... How could Noory listen to the other hosts and not realize that they far excel his intellect and questioning skills?  He appears to be oblivious....and in that oblivion lies the truth....he just doesn't have the mental capabilities to host a program that delves into deep intellectual realms.

George doesn't care about the show quality or his performance anymore, hasn't for a long time. 

When he first replaced Art, he seemed to be looking over his shoulder and put a little effort and thought into the show, worried about the day Art Bell would return.  He knew he wsn't really qualified, but he didn't want his ineptitude to be the reason Art came back.  As time passed, George grew more secure and slowly realized the job was his to keep.  That's when he really started going downhill, putting in less and less effort. 

Even now the guests and topics continue to get worse, he blows off the last hour more often, pays less attention when the guests or callers are talking,shows less and less interest in the topic.  His questions are reduced to recycled cue cards and questions the guests suggest.  Yet his performance continues to plummet.

To George now, the show really is just about the paycheck, selling ad spots.  He long ago realized his show is out of sight and mind at PremRat, just something to be bundled with other more popular shows.  George is good with that.  It's a real shame.

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 27, 2011, 10:31:00 PM
Gassy, your reply was enlightening and, frankly, extremely frustrating.  You are telling me, ultimately, that there is nothing we can do as Coast listeners?... 

Correct.

If all the phone calls, emails, fast blasts, the literally thousands of web pages devoted to documenting his suckage, all the satire, parody, ridicule, complaints and rejection by the listeners have failed to get PremRat to replace this absolute disgrace named George Noory after now 8 years in, then it isn't going to happen.

valdez

Whitley Strieber and his wife, Anne, filing in for George.  Ralph Steiner on Tesla.  I was talking to somebody yesterday about Tesla, and realized I knew little about the guy.  I should read up on him.  Graham Hancock on ancient civilizations.  I was particulaly interested in a possible Mayan site found in Georgia.   Whitley sure is into hyperbole, and he sounded a little stressed during the last hour trying to get to those calls, but he wasn't as annoying as he was the last time he hosted.

Tesla

BobGrau

Quote from: valdez on December 28, 2011, 05:52:16 AM
      he wasn't as annoying as he was the last time he hosted.

maybe they hired a Parallel Whitley

stevesh

Quote from: valdez on December 28, 2011, 05:52:16 AM
... he sounded a little stressed during the last hour trying to get to those calls, but he wasn't as annoying as he was the last time he hosted.

More than a little stressed with taking calls, I'd say. Doesn't he have his own radio talk show ?  As much as i don't want to like the guy for some reason, Strieber usually does a pretty good job hosting C2C. I sure wish he'd find something else for the wife to do when he's on the air, though.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: stevesh on December 28, 2011, 09:34:39 AM
More than a little stressed with taking calls, I'd say. Doesn't he have his own radio talk show ?  As much as i don't want to like the guy for some reason, Strieber usually does a pretty good job hosting C2C. I sure wish he'd find something else for the wife to do when he's on the air, though.

One thing struck me about Whitley last night: as much as I get tired of hearing the same things from him, and as disorganized and frenetic as he can be, the man exudes enthusiasm for his material.

Contrast to Snoory, who is bored to tears, despite his constant claims of being "fascinated" since childhood by the paranormal.  George could care less about any topic except turmeric and dead children.  He shows zero intellectual curiosity about ANYTHING. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 27, 2011, 10:07:38 PM

True dat, Gassy Man.

When Noory first started his little contest selling C2C Insider memberships, I waited for him to fail miserably in reaching his numerical goals.  Then lo and behold, he kept announcing he was exceeding them!  (Of course, he lies a lot.)

We're the minority it appears. 

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 28, 2011, 10:53:05 AM
... Contrast to Snoory, who is bored to tears, despite his constant claims of being "fascinated" since childhood by the paranormal.  George could care less about any topic except turmeric and dead children.  He shows zero intellectual curiosity about ANYTHING.

Soon George will care again about poor children around the world, will sponsor one of them himself, and tell us about 'his' goal of getting X amount of sponsors.

IF Children's International buys commercial time on his show that is.

Nebraska888

Lovely Bones.....

I am laughing so hard I can barely type my response to your ACCURATE observations about turmeric and dead children.  I will also add his obsession about not getting a flu shot and rehashing, endlessly, old episodes of the Twilight Zone.

Please, God, make it stop.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Scully on December 28, 2011, 12:54:59 AM

Your post nails it beautifully, GM, and "at odds with the mainstream" is exactly what we Coastgabbers are.  :P
Thanks, Scully -- the sad thing is I wish I wasn't right in this case.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 28, 2011, 01:37:28 AM

Correct.

If all the phone calls, emails, fast blasts, the literally thousands of web pages devoted to documenting his suckage, all the satire, parody, ridicule, complaints and rejection by the listeners have failed to get PremRat to replace this absolute disgrace named George Noory after now 8 years in, then it isn't going to happen.
You know, though, I think this board is having some effect as I can tell they read it -- and I tell my students repeatedly how awful the show has become and even use examples to make points in class to their great amusement.  I'm surprised some parody show like Saturday Night Live hasn't been doing sketches since Noory is ripe for it.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 28, 2011, 10:58:37 AM
True dat, Gassy Man.

When Noory first started his little contest selling C2C Insider memberships, I waited for him to fail miserably in reaching his numerical goals.  Then lo and behold, he kept announcing he was exceeding them!  (Of course, he lies a lot.)

We're the minority it appears.
That is okay as every revolution must!

b_dubb

i bought the domain hoaxtohoaxam.com.  i should really do something with it

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 28, 2011, 05:30:47 PM
You know, though, I think this board is having some effect as I can tell they read it -- and I tell my students repeatedly how awful the show has become and even use examples to make points in class to their great amusement.  I'm surprised some parody show like Saturday Night Live hasn't been doing sketches since Noory is ripe for it.

If you teach High School, you may want to use Noory as an example of why it's important to look very carefully at prospective colleges.

Here is a link to the the University of Detroit Mercy, proudly extolling the virtues of an alumnus, one George R. Noory.  I really hope they are too lazy to have actually listened to his show.  Either lazy or lousy at recognizing broadcasting suckage, or both - gee that sounds familiar.  Reading this, I wouldn't be full of confidence shipping kids off to them to get a college education.

http://www.udmercy.edu/stay-connected/news-events/newsletters/clae/2009/02/noory/index.htm

And, oh yeah, Mercy?

Oh wait.  My favorite line in this is:  "The next chapter in Noory's career involves writing books".  The next chapter involves writing books?  Seriously?  Hahahah... the journalism department there really should just give up.  Or be forced to.

Scully

Ahhhhhh ... I feel like I'm on vacation this week.   ;)

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 28, 2011, 01:19:31 PM

Soon George will care again about poor children around the world, will sponsor one of them himself, and tell us about 'his' goal of getting X amount of sponsors.

IF Children's International buys commercial time on his show that is.

Hey, yeah.  No countdown to Christmas for the poor little kids this year.  Guess Children's International didn't buy commercial time.  Noory traded it for C2C Insider sales. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 28, 2011, 02:29:33 PM
I will also add his obsession about not getting a flu shot and rehashing, endlessly, old episodes of the Twilight Zone.

Please, God, make it stop.

How could I have overlooked the flu shots and the Twilight Zone?  I will do penance for having sold Simple George short. 

Mea culpa.  His catalogue of topics is indeed, er, broad.   ;D

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Scully on December 29, 2011, 01:16:35 AM
Ahhhhhh ... I feel like I'm on vacation this week.   ;)
I feel like I have been cast adrift on an ocean island with no George to anchor me on to the radio at nite.  Thank goodness for that investment in Coast Insider.  Although the exclusiveness has been diluted and continues to be diluted, with the Occupy Insider movement.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: b_dubb on December 28, 2011, 06:12:47 PM
i bought the domain hoaxtohoaxam.com.  i should really do something with it

Offer to sell it to Richard Hoaxland.