A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

You almost had me Etouffee, you almost had me.  I was going to write an essay about how my surgeon used to be a pro-wrestler but decided to tinker in new things after he retired.  Being in the moment, that's what it's all about. 

Yep, I need some sleep.

valdez

Dr. Samuel Milham  on how civilization is killing us.  Specifically, electricity.  A caller suggested that it didn't matter if all of our gadgets hastened our demise because, in the end, death and the end of Man was inevitable.  What mattered, he said, was that all of our stuff was making us dumber.  And was that our fearless leader that didn't know (during open lines) the meaning of the term "hydrocarbons"?  Nah, only a counter revolutionary would believe such a thing, and besides, later Mr. Wells would demonstrate his mental and verbal gymnastical prowess by transitioning from the subject of Cajun gumbo to bible prophesy in mere seconds.  Some odd music too.

oh...those hydrocarbons

slipstream

Quote from: valdez on August 18, 2013, 05:58:08 AM
And was that our fearless leader that didn't know (during open lines) the meaning of the term "hydrocarbons"?

Taken out of context.  He said he'd never heard the theory that aliens are using hydrocarbons to fly around in their space ships.

Wyzzy93

John B Wells pisses me off no end. The other night when he was banging on about government control and everybody being asleep, he went on a rant for about 10 minutes about how most people when they wake up to what is happening just go back to their ordinary lives afterwards and don't do anything about it. Then later when a caller asked what we can do about it he said have faith in God! Like that is any different from doing NOTHING.
Also when a caller thanked him for bringing up Jesus and his faith in the show, and John agreed that it doesn't matter what some listeners thing as he knows we will be judged by Jesus.
I find it very hard to listen to Christians on the radio spouting their learned nonsense.

Renaldo

Quote from: Wyzzy93 on August 18, 2013, 08:54:37 AM
John B Wells pisses me off no end....
I find it very hard to listen to Christians on the radio spouting their learned nonsense.

Wells is annoying as hell, as far as I'm concerned. When he's not trying to sell us geiger counters, he's bringing everything around to God and the bible. And he's so fucking phony, it would be hilarious if he really wasn't some guy on a major, mainstream radio. And while I don't know (and honestly don't care to know) anything about him personally, I do know that when he started C2C God was no part of the picture for him. It's fairly obvious to me that it's a phony schtick for the hooplehead listeners in the flyover states.

So, just remember kids, just put faith in God for everything, and buy my Russian surplus Geiger counters, okay?

Fuck you John B Wells.

Hmmm... wondering how many people I just pissed off? hahaha Don't take it seriously, it's only a radio program. And God. And geiger counters.

RedMichael

Quote from: Renaldo on August 18, 2013, 07:00:25 PM

Hmmm... wondering how many people I just pissed off? hahaha Don't take it seriously, it's only a radio program. And God. And geiger counters.

He didn't start saying pro-god shit until his first show after Bell announced his new show. I forget what he said exactly but it was along the lines of the Bible being a comic book. Which I find insulting to comic books but I actually thought it was cool he said that. He must have gotten in deep shit with George and the bigwigs in Mayberry because he suddenly found god. It is beyond phony, it is insulting to the listeners.

Quote from: awake on August 12, 2013, 09:35:45 AM
Liberal, sanctimonious, "panties" and "--gasp-- profit".  So in reading this I'm a liberal who isn't manly,(like you?), who hates the profit motive (and the entrepreneurial spirit?/America?) because Art sold tapes and bashed Bill Clinton or maybe because I am a liberal?  I'm not sure what point is being made in your post.  I hadn't mentioned Art at all, I set forth a counter-point to a series of posts regarding jbw and FoxNews with which I didn't agree. 

Attempting to conflate things that Art did more than a decade ago and what jbw is doing now seems disingenuous.  It's a false argument and the school-yard japery is just counter-productive.  This is the type of degeneration I mentioned in an earlier post.  If my tone was sanctimonious, it was not my intent.  Other than the tone though did you find fault with my statements.  If I have unfairly characterized jbw please tell me how.  My view is fairly clear, he uses dubious sources as a pretext to make claims that are verifiably wrong.  He does this repeatedly to advance his personal agenda which results in creating fear in people who hear him as a credible news source.  Broadly speaking, I made the same claim for Fox.  I included examples for each.  That is my position and, again, it was only posted in response to a number of posts which seemed to defend the positions of jbw and Fox.  Again, If my tone offended you, please accept my apology.  Tone and context matter, but it is disappointing to read a response which is all ad hominem.

I wasn't necessarily singling you out. But if you feel the need to carry water for the progressive movement, then so be it. So many of our so-called news organizations are controlled by card carrying Democrats, it's a wonder a Republican ever wins an election. If you have such a problem with Fox News (which I don't watch) and John B. Wells, I have a simple solution: don't tune in. I'm sure Piers Morgan and Ed Schultz would be happy to double their ratings with your viewership.

Furthermore, I'm not sure why you can't seem to grasp the comparison between Art Bell pushing a conservative/libertarian agenda while hawking survival gear and John B. Wells doing a similar schtick many years later.  Albeit, Wells is more Alex Jones lite than a successor to the Art Bell throne, but I digress. The main problem I have with Wells is that he's unintelligent, uninformed, and uninteresting. Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't been shown the door in favor of a more polished broadcaster. If his constant reference to the mother ship doesn't send you running for the exits, his irritating faux British accent will seal the deal. Open lines are a complete disaster in which the callers spew a diatribe that Wells responds to with a fortune cookie slogan or a non-sequitur, and moves on to the next caller. Maybe if we're all very fortunate, Wells will have his over-referenced sensei on the program some day.

Quote from: Wyzzy93 on August 18, 2013, 08:54:37 AM
John B Wells pisses me off no end. The other night when he was banging on about government control and everybody being asleep, he went on a rant for about 10 minutes about how most people when they wake up to what is happening just go back to their ordinary lives afterwards and don't do anything about it. Then later when a caller asked what we can do about it he said have faith in God! Like that is any different from doing NOTHING.
Also when a caller thanked him for bringing up Jesus and his faith in the show, and John agreed that it doesn't matter what some listeners thing as he knows we will be judged by Jesus.

There's a very simple remedy to that ailment: don't listen. I doubt that anyone strapped you down Clockwork Orange style and forced you to partake.

I'm listening to Somewhere in Time right now, which is a replay of a William Henry interview from 1999. William is speaking about --gasp-- the Bible and Revelations. I would say a person like you might do about 3 Linda Blairs (360 degree rotations of the cranium) from the horror. Perhaps you would rather the topic were about Muhammad, Allah, and the Qur'an.   

someguy

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on August 24, 2013, 09:32:41 PM
Perhaps you would rather the topic were about Muhammad, Allah, and the Qur'an.

I sure would. What's wrong with that?

Renaldo

Hey, what do you know... Wells is going to do yet another show about how everything's falling apart!  QUICK!  PRAY TO BABY JESUS AND BUY YOUR GEIGER COUNTER NOW!!!

I hate this mother fucker. 

malfion

These weekend shows are getting too repetitive. Too much Doomsday survivalsm, govt spying, and just the same stuff over and over again, week after week. His voice is great but the topics he gets need to be more varied.

Nighthawk

I actually like the survivalism stuff. I just am getting tired though of John trying to promote selling these geiger counters. I wonder who gives him permission to do that? It seemed like last week the entire show that's all he did was promote geiger counters he is getting a percentage of the profits on.

So this...interesting... guest and I shared an employer. I am now trying to remember if I ever met her at work.

Immy

WTF is so consistantly funny to this woman? The main survival technique I'm learning is NOT to be in the same post-apocalyptic settlement as her.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Immy on August 25, 2013, 01:45:54 AM
WTF is so consistantly funny to this woman? The main survival technique I'm learning is NOT to be in the same post-apocalyptic settlement as her.

I listened to about 30 minutes (45 including the repetitive ads for selling marketing, ham and cars)...and I noticed her little giggles..Perhaps (and I don't know if it's so) she's doing so to imply the stupidity of the situation she perceives? That if she didn't laugh, she'd cry in desperation and hopelessness..However she has learned to grow her own food (also involving feeding arsenic to chickens), making her own clothes and shoes, finding your own little plot of post apocalyptic paradise, bringing Mad Max adventures vivid life and trying to explain economics...

Renaldo

Quote from: malfion on August 24, 2013, 11:44:28 PM
These weekend shows are getting too repetitive. Too much Doomsday survivalsm, govt spying, and just the same stuff over and over again, week after week. His voice is great but the topics he gets need to be more varied.

But if you didn't have shows on doomsday and survivalism, how are you going to sell geiger counters?!?!?! 

Quote from: Renaldo on August 25, 2013, 08:16:19 AM
But if you didn't have shows on doomsday and survivalism, how are you going to sell geiger counters?!?!?!

Well, there's always beach metal detectors but they don't have the cool, conspiratorial panache Johnny B is looking for. He wouldn't want to leave his listeners with the image of him in cut offs, sandals and socks, combing the local sand for loose change. 

RedMichael

Having a great radio voice shouldn't be a reason to listen to him, if anything people should be more displeased that a voice belongs to such a half-wit.

He should have accidentally asked a pointed question or gave some sort of meaningful analysis on any subject by now.

The only subjects he probably knows anything about are: rogaine, hair dye, hemorrhoid cream, and whatever else is within arm's reach for him to read when he is on the can.

Quote from: RedMichael on August 25, 2013, 07:40:14 PM
and whatever else is within arm's reach for him to read when he is on the can.

Bass Pro Shops catalog

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on August 24, 2013, 09:17:06 PM
If his constant reference to the mother ship doesn't send you running for the exits, his irritating faux British accent will seal the deal.

"Make yourself a proper cup of tea." Wells sounds more at home with biscuits and gravy than tea and scones. Hearing his Jeeves act is like hearing Fu Manchu's nails writing a Chinese menu on an antique chalkboard. He sounds like Trace Adkins imitating John Gielgud imitating an English butler in "Arthur".

bmcintyre

But, these are special Geiger counters.  Like special beans.  Like a special cup of tea, properly brewed.  Like a special guy who artificially reduces the base in his voice and wears a creepy toupee.   

bmcintyre

Quote from: Renaldo on August 25, 2013, 08:16:19 AM
Wow, I cannot believe how much RCH looks like a silver back baboon, dressed up in people clothes. 

RedMichael

The only conspiracy going on is John hiding his age.

Renaldo

Quote from: bmcintyre on August 26, 2013, 06:45:50 PM
Wow, I cannot believe how much RCH looks like a silver back baboon, dressed up in people clothes.

That's so 19.5

Uncle Duke

Justed listened to Wells show from this past weekend.  If I had not heard him say if myself, I could not believe what I heard him say relative to the death of Princess Di.  As I'm sure most are aware, some claim Di was murdered by the British government because she was pregnant with the child of her Musilim boyfriend.  Said Wells, "....and this would have been a problem...because a Muslim would have been in line to the (English) throne."

What a moron.  Di and her children, unless they were fathered by Charles, had no claim to the throne.  How can anyone be that stupid?

b_dubb

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 27, 2013, 09:06:45 AM
Justed listened to Wells show from this past weekend.  If I had not heard him say if myself, I could not believe what I heard him say relative to the death of Princess Di.  As I'm sure most are aware, some claim Di was murdered by the British government because she was pregnant with the child of her Musilim boyfriend.  Said Wells, "....and this would have been a problem...because a Muslim would have been in line to the (English) throne."

What a moron.  Di and her children, unless they were fathered by Charles, had no claim to the throne.  How can anyone be that stupid?
Just because someone's mouth is working don't assume that their brain is too

ItsOver

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 25, 2013, 11:53:29 PM
"Make yourself a proper cup of tea." Wells sounds more at home with biscuits and gravy than tea and scones. Hearing his Jeeves act is like hearing Fu Manchu's nails writing a Chinese menu on an antique chalkboard. He sounds like Trace Adkins imitating John Gielgud imitating an English butler in "Arthur".

Perfect.  Wells is not only a phony, like some "other" guy on during the week we all know, he's a crappy pretentious phony, as well.  :P

awake

Quote from: b_dubb on August 27, 2013, 09:11:46 AM
Just because someone's mouth is working don't assume that their brain is too
+1

bmcintyre

Quote from: Renaldo on August 26, 2013, 11:29:27 PM
That's so 19.5
Yipes, I get it.  I flunked quantum physics.