• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Zopyrus on November 18, 2017, 10:14:42 AM

Falkie claims to have spent hundreds of hours on the phone with customer support. I'd just let him handle this.

Can't Art afford another one?

pate

Quote from: Swishypants on September 26, 2017, 07:43:31 AM
This place reminds me of a once grand theater, now full hobo's darting around in the shadows, raping one another, and drinking lighter fluid. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGk5fR-t5AU

Asia is in tears.  Well, that won't do.  Wasn't that one of the reasons he bailed on his most recent show?

And he checked the internet and just now found out lithium batteries have been blowing up?  Hard to believe this is the same Art Bell who used to host a radio show.

ItsOver

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 19, 2017, 01:17:08 AM
Asia is in tears.  Well, that won't do.  Wasn't that one of the reasons he bailed on his most recent show?

And he checked the internet and just now found out lithium batteries have been blowing up?  Hard to believe this is the same Art Bell who used to host a radio show.
"Art Bell? ... he's fading, fading, fading away, folks!"

Swishypants

Got a 1:48 Scale Revell B-17G & B-24D. Makin' Models. Listening to Art. Thinkin' of Art.  ;D

PaulAtreides

Art Bell complaining about customer service certainly pegs the irony meter.

ItsOver

Quote from: PaulAtreides on November 19, 2017, 11:59:41 AM
Art Bell complaining about customer service certainly pegs the irony meter.
LOL.  Thanks for selling all those Siriusxm radios, Art, for six weeks of use in 2013!

Swishypants

SeriousXM, the Baby Boomer's final folly. No one under 45 doubted it would be built of pure fail even when it was two separate companies. Pay for radio? In the world of free MP3's? LOL!

1997 happened.

PaulAtreides

Quote from: ItsOver on November 19, 2017, 11:03:46 AM

And Snorge, like a cockroach or a ten year old Hostess Twinkie, just won't go away.

albrecht

Quote from: Swishypants on November 19, 2017, 12:16:49 PM
SeriousXM, the Baby Boomer's final folly. No one under 45 doubted it would be built of pure fail even when it was two separate companies. Pay for radio? In the world of free MP3's? LOL!

1997 happened.
Yeah but I like XM for some stuff. Live games mainly and out-of-market ones (again most people, I guess don't like listening to ballgames but I do,) the OTR channel, etc. And some of the music channels are ok. (Willies Roadhouse, Elvis, Outlaw Country, Ozzy's,Symphony Hall, etc) and will be clearer signal than similar content (if you can find on radio) or finding mp3s on your phone. Sure, podcast for audio or full albums etc but that takes, a bit, more effort or streaming etc issues, if driving around or not in the city.  Then again I still like AM and SW, and miss CB, so I have biases.

Why would anyone buy  a grade schooler a $3000 microsoft piece of paper weight,,, I guess Dora the Explorer will not run on just any computer.

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: ItsOver on November 19, 2017, 11:03:46 AM

Art who ... ?

Nobody

Quote from: albrecht on November 19, 2017, 10:07:33 PM
Yeah but I like XM for some stuff.

What does XM charge for a year's subscription these days?

Quote from: albrecht on November 19, 2017, 10:07:33 PM
Sure, podcast for audio or full albums etc but that takes, a bit, more effort or streaming etc issues, if driving around or not in the city. 

Chances are, wherever you're driving around in the US, you're going to have mobile phone service.  For the past decade-and-a-half, "mobile phone service" has been synonymous with "Internet access."

When the satellite radio companies were drawing up their business plans in the early 1990s, PDAs had just come into existence and the idea of "a computer in your pocket" was pretty exotic stuff.  Fast-forward two decades and ~85% of the US/UK population is now walking around with a computer in their pocket that is linked to the rest of the world.  Granted, the prices for mobile phone data plans are exorbitant for what you're getting, but consumers have now been "trained" to pay such prices so they can stay linked to the rest of the First World.

Apart from long-haul truckers and other people who regularly drive through e.g. deserts where mobile phone service is intermittent to non-existent, I would have thought satellite radio held little mainstream appeal in 2017.  If XM is charging more than ~$10 a month for service and still making a go of it, you can colour me surprised.   ???

albrecht

Quote from: Nobody on November 20, 2017, 09:06:17 PM
What does XM charge for a year's subscription these days?

Chances are, wherever you're driving around in the US, you're going to have mobile phone service.  For the past decade-and-a-half, "mobile phone service" has been synonymous with "Internet access."

When the satellite radio companies were drawing up their business plans in the early 1990s, PDAs had just come into existence and the idea of "a computer in your pocket" was pretty exotic stuff.  Fast-forward two decades and ~85% of the US/UK population is now walking around with a computer in their pocket that is linked to the rest of the world.  Granted, the prices for mobile phone data plans are exorbitant for what you're getting, but consumers have now been "trained" to pay such prices so they can stay linked to the rest of the First World.

Apart from long-haul truckers and other people who regularly drive through e.g. deserts where mobile phone service is intermittent to non-existent, I would have thought satellite radio held little mainstream appeal in 2017.  If XM is charging more than ~$10 a month for service and still making a go of it, you can colour me surprised.   ???
https://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages?intcmp=GN_HEADER_NEW_Subscriptions_SubscribeNow_ComparePackages#
As you say, like with mobile phones etc the charges are high f or Sirius/XMbut set but no over-data limit, choking of data, as with AT&T etc. Yes, you can stream on your phone but then you, often, can't talk, use maps, txt, etc (all of which, I guess, one shouldn't be doing anyway while driving.) But often "free" for awhile with new car and sometimes they forget to turn off? I like for ballgames and certain music channels. Even local NPR and BBC sometimes. And, lazy I know, you just tune in and don't need to mess with apps, place to hold your phone, etc. I would like it if phones companies (or providers) would "turn on" the FM chip embedded in phones. I had an old Nokia with FM chip enabled and it was sorta nice to be able to listen to games or talk on it for free (versus using data or roaming.) And many AM now broadcasts on an FM signal also so could also listen to Norry butcher C2C on it. But "they" would rather you use apps so you use data. Some shows/stations have call in numbers where you can listen to their stream using your voice-minutes (which unlike data are usually unlimited. Companies seem to try to fight this claiming bandwidth issues or abuse. Like RCH used to claim about his stream. Hahaha.)
http://www.opb.org/about/connect/mobilefm/

Nobody

Quote from: Jinger Rat Snapps on November 20, 2017, 11:46:33 AM
Why would anyone buy  a grade schooler a $3000 microsoft piece of...

Is it just me?  Or does 3 Large sound like an excessive price tag for a schoolchild's computer to others as well? 

(A $500 tablet with an external keyboard wouldn't do for an eight-year-old?  Really?)

Of course, when I was in school most of our time was devoted to keeping our reeds sharp and breaking the cuneiform tablets over the heads of our school chums (no iPads, alas).  It's possible that present-day IT requirements for schoolchildren might be too exotic for someone of my sort to appreciate.  :(

(I do remember being excited about the advent of electricity, though; no more walking around with candles on our heads in the dark.)

albrecht

Quote from: Nobody on November 20, 2017, 10:24:04 PM
Is it just me?  Or does 3 Large sound like an excessive price tag for a schoolchild's computer to others as well? 

(A $500 tablet with an external keyboard wouldn't do for an eight-year-old?  Really?)

Of course, when I was in school most of our time was devoted to keeping our reeds sharp and breaking the cuneiform tablets over the heads of our school chums (no iPads, alas).  It's possible that present-day IT requirements for schoolchildren might be too exotic for someone of my sort to appreciate.  :(

(I do remember being excited about the advent of electricity, though; no more walking around with candles on our heads in the dark.)
Is a shame, you looked cute in that Santa Lucia ceremony, the braids and that steady walk so as no wax burns or, worse, burnt hair. I was surprised they let you wear white though?

ps: those laptop/tablet deals for schools usually involve kickbacks, personal connections between salespeople and administrators/purchasing departments, local politicians, and dumb public who think "technology" will help their students learn. Interestingly sometimes rich school districts are victims of the scam- and by the time the students get the items they are out of date (and their parents have already purchased them better ones.) I guess, in really poor areas, maybe a laptop could help but tablets? It is bad enough that we won't teach children how to write but now not even how to TYPE?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Nobody on November 20, 2017, 10:24:04 PM

The MS Surface is an overpriced, unreliable lump.  You'd think Art would contact one of the hosts of The Spec Sheet for computer purchasing advice.

PaulAtreides

Quote from: mv on November 22, 2017, 10:55:04 AM
The MS Surface is an overpriced, unreliable lump.  You'd think Art would contact one of the hosts of The Spec Sheet for computer purchasing advice.

I thought those batteries were recalled.  Does Art not register his purchases or read his mail?

How can you guys be so heartless? 

Asia's in tears, and Art wishes he had a show to quit over it.

Lunger

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 22, 2017, 10:59:56 PM
How can you guys be so heartless? 

Asia's in tears, and Art wishes he had a show to quit over it.

Ahhhh  SHIT!

I can't stop laughing....

Lunger

I listened to the show with "General A" the other night on TuneIn Radio with Rodger Leir and Darrel Simms and I just had to bitch!  I know I am beating my head against the wall.

First Darrel Simms......  Art touts him as being CIA, but if you dig he only spent 3 months in the CIA.  This means that while he was in-processing they found something in his background that didn't pass the smell test or he washed out at The Farm early on.  Its like saying that he graduated from Harvard because he crossed the Quad once.  He sounds like an asshole.

General A .....Its pretty obvious that the General has never spent a day of his life serving in the military.  In the span of 5 minutes you could tell this guy is a fraud.  This is the only person in the military - on the entire planet - who doesn't carry a military ID ????.  If he were a General he would know that he doesn't get access to wherever he wants just by virtue of his rank.  General A doesn't seem to know any of the military lingo.  No solider, Marine or Airman would say they are there (at the RocketDyne facility) on "Special Mission". 

Leir backed up the General though by saying he saw General A's "Military Paperwork".  I wonder what exactly that paperwork was?  I don't recall having any paperwork that explained my military association and rank....other than my ID card which, of course, is always in the General's other pants.

Chalk up another fraud that Art helps to perpetrate.  At least it wasn't Whitley try to disguise his voice again.

Swishypants

Quote from: Jackstar on November 23, 2017, 10:51:07 AM

actually, literally unmoved

Asians don't have emotions! :)

Jackstar

Quote from: Daggit on July 02, 2015, 04:05:22 PM
Jackstar is the worst poster on bell gab.

massive rolleyes

Jackstar

Quote from: Lunger on November 26, 2017, 08:53:28 AM
another fraud that Art helps to perpetrate

p.s. you're an idiot

Lunger

Quote from: Jackstar on November 26, 2017, 12:49:04 PM
p.s. you're an idiot

Well thought out and compelling as always.

Dr. MD MD

Give me a C, a bouncy C!

There once was a guy named Art
He used to have some parts
Da di di di Da di di di
Whatever the HELL else you wanna throw in there...

PaulAtreides

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 27, 2017, 03:31:26 PM

Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Da di di di Da di di di
Whatever the HELL else you wanna throw in there...

But he fell for the Trumper
Now he's down in the dumper
No longer do Gabbers give farts

Lilith

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 18, 2017, 10:34:03 PM
Falkie claims to have spent hundreds of hours on the phone with customer support. I'd just let him handle this.

Can't Art afford another one?

Excellent advice!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PaulAtreides on November 27, 2017, 08:25:05 PM
But he fell for the Trumper
Now he's down in the dumper
No longer do Gabbers give farts

I still like Art Bell.