• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rush Limbaugh

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 10:10:10 AM

Quote from: Frys Girl on January 04, 2012, 07:48:27 PM
Hayworth had a show on XM radio lol. I think he had to beg for a radio gig because he failed at unseating John McCain in the last Senate election......

I think he started out as a radio talker, even before he was a Congressman, which he got bounced from as well.

HAL 9000

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on January 04, 2012, 07:27:24 PMBack to Limbaugh, the Federal Building in Cape Girardeau is even named in honor of him.  I don't recall the exact name, but I think it is the Rush Limbaugh Federal Building.  Do the Feds and Limbaugh have common interests, are they in the same building together?  Did one of Lindbaugh's relatives donate the land. . . .

Actually, NOT. It was named for his grandfather:

"Rush Hudson Limbaugh Sr. was a well-known and respected member of the Cape Girardeau community. Limbaugh received his legal training at the University of Missouriâ€"Columbia and practiced law for nearly 80 years until his death in 1996 at the age of 104. At the time, he was the nation’s oldest practicing lawyer."

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/102681

11angeleyes11

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 04, 2012, 09:35:42 PM
Actually, NOT. It was named for his grandfather:

"Rush Hudson Limbaugh Sr. was a well-known and respected member of the Cape Girardeau community. Limbaugh received his legal training at the University of Missouriâ€"Columbia and practiced law for nearly 80 years until his death in 1996 at the age of 104. At the time, he was the nation’s oldest practicing lawyer."

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/102681

Thanks for the historical trivia.  That is interesting.   Now it all makes sense and I can feel that there is some hope in our Federal Judicial system. 

MV/Liberace!

i'm not impressed by the federal building referenced above.  it's a modern building in every way, but the exterior has been designed to look as if it were constructed 150 years ago.  it looks just like any one of the old brick structures you'd find downtown here in cape girardeau, one of which was used as a military headquarters by general grant during the civil war.  that should give you some indication of the era they seem to have been shooting for when this building was designed.  it would have been great to have a unique, clean, modern looking building as a contrast to all of the run down buildings that litter that part of town.  instead, it just blends in to all of the other old shit surrounding it.

11angeleyes11

I feel like a keyboard tourist now.  No need to tour Cape, just picture brick shit buildings.  Now, I know the neighborhood of Limbaugh, and how he could be a  product of his upbringing.

Actually, I like Rush and listen to him at least a hour a day, but for the last several months I have not listened to day-time talk at all.  I will have to make a point of listening to his interpretations of the presidential race.  He usually has a sharp and unique perspective that make you think from a different angle.   

11angeleyes11

I used to listen to Rush daily, but have not done so in months.  I came across this headline today and thought it was insightful:

Radio stations drop Rush Limbaugh; Clear Channel syndicator defends host in Sandra Fluke 'slut' controversy.

Probably twenty advertisers have dropped Rush including Pro-Flowers, Sears, and many others.  Now the radio stations are dropping his program.  It just illustrates that even the King of Daytime can misstep and fall. . flat.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on March 06, 2012, 03:33:25 PM
I used to listen to Rush daily, but have not done so in months.  I came across this headline today and thought it was insightful:

Radio stations drop Rush Limbaugh; Clear Channel syndicator defends host in Sandra Fluke 'slut' controversy.

Probably twenty advertisers have dropped Rush including Pro-Flowers, Sears, and many others.  Now the radio stations are dropping his program.  It just illustrates that even the King of Daytime can misstep and fall. . flat.

I doubt it's a career-killer ala Dr Laura, but this is certainly the deepest shit Limbaugh has stepped in in about a decade. Far worse than the phony McNabb controversy of 2003. Going after a "civilian" is never a wise move and and there's tons of hypocrisy coming from the Left, but when it comes down to it, Rush fucked up. Again, not a career killer, but a revenue damaging move which will piss off his superiors to no end.

punkinpie

ProFlowers and Quicken Loans have both ran ads on Sirius during the Howard Stern show recently.  I can't help but smile when I hear that they dumped Rush for calling someone a slut.  I guess it depends on what ruler you are using to measure. 

Pulling ads is a stupid response to the torches and pitchforks.  The advertisers will go back or the show will find more.  People getting bent out of shape about what he said are not the brightest bunch either.  He's getting ready to lose 500 stations and needs to get himself in the news.  The most vocal critics are doing just that for him.  It's counterproductive.

b_dubb

rush lives on controversy.  much in the same way that a fly lives off of shit

Seamus Capone

Quote from: b_dubb on March 06, 2012, 08:57:27 PM
rush lives on controversy.  much in the same way that a fly lives off of shit

That "whine and cheese" fest with Fluke gave him enough manure for a month of shows. Surprisingly, Allred might get involved in the controversy now. She's not one to seek publicity, so I didn't expect her to express her outrage at Limbaugh's comments. Seriously, he crossed the line, but his critics might help him if they're stupid enough to pile up on him after he apologized. I don't love him or hate him. It's just ridiculous to give this so much press when we're faced with looming economic and military Armageddons. Journalistic priorities are backwards. Of course, I'm still waiting to hear what Lindsey Lohan thinks about all this.

analog kid

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 07, 2012, 01:41:25 AM
That "whine and cheese" fest with Fluke gave him enough manure for a month of shows. Surprisingly, Allred might get involved in the controversy now. She's not one to seek publicity, so I didn't expect her to express her outrage at Limbaugh's comments. Seriously, he crossed the line, but his critics might help him if they're stupid enough to pile up on him after he apologized. I don't love him or hate him. It's just ridiculous to give this so much press when we're faced with looming economic and military Armageddons. Journalistic priorities are backwards. Of course, I'm still waiting to hear what Lindsey Lohan thinks about all this.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if the Republican campaigns hadn't raised this ridiculous social issue, that was resolved before The Monkeys' first TV show aired. It was started by Santorum as a religious argument, and the Republicans thought they could make hay with it, but that didn't work out too well for them, so it was changed to a healthcare / social debate, with Rush doing his job of "carrying the water" for Santorum, etc.. Whatever random nonsense the campaigns throw out there Limbaugh and Fox News run with for weeks.

Frys Girl

Quote from: analog kid on March 07, 2012, 05:09:31 AM
We wouldn't be having this discussion if the Republican campaigns hadn't raised this ridiculous social issue, that was resolved before The Monkeys' first TV show aired. It was started by Santorum as a religious argument, and the Republicans thought they could make hay with it, but that didn't work out too well for them, so it was changed to a healthcare / social debate, with Rush doing his job of "carrying the water" for Santorum, etc.. Whatever random nonsense the campaigns throw out there Limbaugh and Fox News run with for weeks.
I don't think it was resolved. A religious institution should have the right to not pay for contraceptive care in its plans. That's the point.

If she didn't like it, go to another school. Georgetown is very liberal, so I'm not surprised this girl went ahead and did this.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 07, 2012, 01:41:25 AM
...I'm still waiting to hear what Lindsey Lohan thinks about all this.

... or the intellectual nuggets of insight from Paris Hilton. 

11angeleyes11

Another alternative to the sage advise of Ms. Hilton or Ms. Lohan is the dynamic duo on Friday night the Producer and the host. 

"We have a texxxt question from the Wildcard Line by a Mr. Rickie Santorium, George.?"

It is it read aloud:  "George what is your opinion on contraception, Rush Limbaugh, and that alleged slut attorney from Georgetown?" 

There is banter back and forth. . George:  "I don't like to talk about my personal life on the air. . what do you think Producer?"

More laughs and exchanges . .

Yep. I love Coast's editorial commentary, enough to rival Rush these days.

Marc.Knight

No one ever gave a shit when this was published.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: analog kid on March 07, 2012, 05:09:31 AMWe wouldn't be having this discussion if the Republican campaigns hadn't raised this ridiculous social issue, that was resolved before The Monkeys' first TV show aired. It was started by Santorum as a religious argument, and the Republicans thought they could make hay with it, but that didn't work out too well for them, so it was changed to a healthcare / social debate, with Rush doing his job of "carrying the water" for Santorum, etc.. Whatever random nonsense the campaigns throw out there Limbaugh and Fox News run with for weeks.

The main point is that the federal government has no right to force religious organizations to violate their consciences. The Democratic machine uses the "power of Rush" and the "war on women" to cloud the issue and muddy the waters. I see through these liberal shibboleths. The real issue is governmental interference in the private lives of Americans.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Frys Girl on March 07, 2012, 06:34:47 AMI don't think it was resolved. A religious institution should have the right to not pay for contraceptive care in its plans. That's the point.

Expect a visit from Thor. You stole my thunder. ;-)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 08, 2012, 12:21:41 AM
The main point is that the federal government has no right to force religious organizations to violate their consciences.

that one sentence completely encapsulates the entire discussion.

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 08, 2012, 12:21:41 AMThe main point is that the federal government has no right to force religious organizations to violate their consciences.

And no one is forcing religious organizations to take federal aid. This is the stick in the bargain. If you don't play by the rules that everybody else has to, then no more fed money for you. Sounds fair to me.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Simple Solution on March 08, 2012, 12:46:31 AM
And no one is forcing religious organizations to take federal aid. This is the stick in the bargain. If you don't play by the rules that everybody else has to, then no more fed money for you. Sounds fair to me.

agreed.  100%.

Seamus Capone

That depends on whether or not said rules follow the Constitution. In the Georgetown case, not so much. The federal government violates the First Amendment when it requires Catholic schools to provide birth control to its students. In fact, the particulars of health insurance mandates are moot since Obamacare, itself, is unconstitutional. 

Frys Girl

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 08, 2012, 01:34:14 AM
That depends on whether or not said rules follow the Constitution. In the Georgetown case, not so much. The federal government violates the First Amendment when it requires Catholic schools to provide birth control to its students. In fact, the particulars of health insurance mandates are moot since Obamacare, itself, is unconstitutional.
Fat lady hasn't sung yet, unfortunately

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Frys Girl on March 08, 2012, 06:06:59 AMFat lady hasn't sung yet, unfortunately.

She sang. Her aria fell on deaf ears.

onan

Oh fuck churches and religious institutions. They don't deserve constitutional protection. No where else is so much authority given with so little rational education.

Birth control should not only be covered it should be mandatory. Mandatory until adults can prove themselves to be responsible parents.

This debate is worthless and gets none of us anywhere better. Dont like abortions then dont have one. Keep your (the churches) fuckin ill informed opinions/condescension to yourself.

Frys Girl

By your brainless statement, you're extinguishes all the good that religious institutions do with that money.

You are basically saying that religious institutions such as a Catholic university, have no other value than to offer contraceptives to employers. Go to hell with that. Seriously.

I'm really glad this all came about. Women are being fooled about these drugs in the first place. Birth control isn't the solution for most women, and from a very young age, females are being ENCOURAGED to take it. Why? Isn't it shocking that sex education is so important when our young girls hate to take calculus and chemistry! Damn the Democrat party.

For decades, we are encouraged to take them only to find out that estrogen leads to breast cancer during menopause. Yea..... most BC cells feed off of estrogen. Good for the Catholic Church for standing up to this administration.

onan

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 31, 2012, 10:46:30 AM

For decades, we are encouraged to take them only to find out that estrogen leads to breast cancer during menopause. Yea..... most BC cells feed off of estrogen. Good for the Catholic Church for standing up to this administration.

^ Veljković, M; Veljković, S (2010 Sep-Oct). "[The risk of breast cervical, endometrial and ovarian cancer in oral contraceptive users].". Medicinski pregled 63 (9-10): 657â€"61. PMID 21446095.

Whether or not this association is causal is debated and if there is indeed a link the absolute effect is small.

So, who heard Rush on Wed. (maybe Tues.)  talking about 'how some people would be really upset if they knew what was really going on' and not saying a word (as far as I heard) about the Middle East?

I think he wants a another few million for holiday shopping.    ;D

yumyumtree

Rush is spending a lot of time on global warming today. I'm not sure why. I have to admit that I don't understand a lot of this stuff and haven't formed a firm opinion on it. It's a complex topic and I suspect that a lot if people don't really understand it but just glom onto whatever some trusted icon(such as Al Gore) thinks about it.
But today he's claiming that both the Arctic and Anarctica have had big increases in ice. I don't know if he cited his source for this but I have a hard time believing it. I realize that glaciers are a separate issue, but one of the things that made me concerned a out climate change was the reduction in glaciers in Glacier National Park( one of my favorite places)
Another concerning thing about Limbaugh and climate change is that one day a year or so ago he openly admitted that one of the reasons he never entertained it was because people on the left supported it, so he therefore knew it was bogus. This is fallacious reasoning (IMO)and I don't know if he realizes how foolish it sounded. I've even heard him advise young people who call that this is a good way to decide the validity of a position
I know that Noory has guests all over the map on climate change, and I'm not sure what his own position on it is.

Lunger

Quote from: yumyumtree on September 17, 2013, 11:14:36 AM
Rush is spending a lot of time on global warming today. I'm not sure why. I have to admit that I don't understand a lot of this stuff and haven't formed a firm opinion on it. It's a complex topic and I suspect that a lot if people don't really understand it but just glom onto whatever some trusted icon(such as Al Gore) thinks about it.
But today he's claiming that both the Arctic and Anarctica have had big increases in ice. I don't know if he cited his source for this but I have a hard time believing it. I realize that glaciers are a separate issue, but one of the things that made me concerned a out climate change was the reduction in glaciers in Glacier National Park( one of my favorite places)
Another concerning thing about Limbaugh and climate change is that one day a year or so ago he openly admitted that one of the reasons he never entertained it was because people on the left supported it, so he therefore knew it was bogus. This is fallacious reasoning (IMO)and I don't know if he realizes how foolish it sounded. I've even heard him advise young people who call that this is a good way to decide the validity of a position
I know that Noory has guests all over the map on climate change, and I'm not sure what his own position on it is.

Climate Change is in the news today because the IPCC is finally admitting that you have no fucking idea what they are talking about.

Basically.