• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 03:50:04 AM
I listened again today, and Schrader sounds like a guy in a room asking questions.

The fact that I can't characterize it as either means that its a neutral statement, and subsequently falls in the category of bad.

I'm a talk radio fan, a listener, and while its cool Schrader is accessible, upfront and open to input, I don't really care to tell him how to do what he does. When I listen, I don't like to be aware that I'm listening ... I like to get lost in the show and topic. I'm aware he can take critiques and takes them well, I want some magic - if I were a broadcaster I could GIVE constructive criticism...but I'm not, and can't. I just want something I'm not getting from him.

It literally sounded to me like he was simply reading and relaying questions. And his questions were just questions. There was nothing else to it but him "doing the job". I guess its for some people, and that's cool...Its just not for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dneRJ6NCKQ

P.S. The switch of the word "paranormal" to "fringe" was great. See I'm not a fucking hater.

Good points.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 17, 2018, 01:48:15 PM
Right answer, tnx!

Or Joe, MV, Carl, et al...

This is a most unsatisfying dessert.

I'm fine.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 17, 2018, 01:52:31 PM
How did you come by the actual numbers, assuming they are?

Ho ho ho, I fucking love this guy!

Metron2267

Quote from: chefist on May 17, 2018, 02:11:19 PM
I'm not your fucking secretary, dick

I don't mind creative writing as long as its labeled as such.

Bluejay

*** Breaking News ***
This just in from the desert:

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 17, 2018, 02:12:08 PM
Sorry, should have said M. Vara.

My bad. ???

heh heh, i kill a kitten every time someone does that.

Metron2267

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:11:20 PM

It's those Winifred Cutler potions I wear, innit?

:P

Metron2267

Quote from: mv1 on May 17, 2018, 02:13:24 PM

I shall drown a squirrel in sympathy...

Friday

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:11:20 PM

So, you love ignorance? Gotcha.

The Big Foot

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 17, 2018, 12:46:05 PM
Oh  yes, I'm sure Keith stole her phones.  ::)
It's theft, by golly!

Who pays the phone bill? That's the one that has permission to take them.

Faustina

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 03:50:04 AM
I listened again today, and Schrader sounds like a guy in a room asking questions.

The fact that I can't characterize it as either means that its a neutral statement, and subsequently falls in the category of bad.

I'm a talk radio fan, a listener, and while its cool Schrader is accessible, upfront and open to input, I don't really care to tell him how to do what he does. When I listen, I don't like to be aware that I'm listening ... I like to get lost in the show and topic. I'm aware he can take critiques and takes them well, I want some magic - if I were a broadcaster I could GIVE constructive criticism...but I'm not, and can't. I just want something I'm not getting from him.

It literally sounded to me like he was simply reading and relaying questions. And his questions were just questions. There was nothing else to it but him "doing the job". I guess its for some people, and that's cool...Its just not for me.

P.S. The switch of the word "paranormal" to "fringe" was great. See I'm not a fucking hater.

I see your point.  The problem is, you're comparing him to Art.  Art was a character.  Dave Schrader is not a character, at all.  He's normal and well-adjusted (which is nice for him, but it's not very interesting), relatively bright without being brilliant.  Art was messed up, brilliant, fascinating, charismatic.  There is only one Art Bell and his like will never be back again.  Don't compare other radio hosts to Art, or they will all just end up coming up short and you won't be able to enjoy this wonderful renaissance we're having of streaming paranormal radio shows (so many,... more all the time,... some of them are very good).

Kolchak

Would you be willing to battle Vara in a spelling bee for charity?

AZZERAE

Quote from: Friday on May 17, 2018, 02:14:39 PM
So, you love ignorance? Gotcha.

If by ignorance you mean questioning things, thinking stuff through and being bold enough to open ones mind to the possibilities that no one else is discussing, then sure, I love "ignorance".

I thought that's what Art Bell was all about.

bellNwhistle

:'(

Bluejay

Friday

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:23:55 PM
If by ignorance you mean questioning things, thinking stuff through and being bold enough to open ones mind to the possibilities that no one else is discussing, then sure, I love "ignorance".

I thought that's what Art Bell was all about.

Nope. That's not what I meant. I meant that you love the person questioning the real numbers of listeners. That's ignorance. Listener numbers are easy to find if you put a little work in. Until then, you adore the ignorant.

Bluejay

Quote from: Faustina on May 17, 2018, 02:18:24 PM
I see your point.  The problem is, you're comparing him to Art.  Art was a character.  Dave Schrader is not a character, at all.  He's normal and well-adjusted (which is nice for him, but it's not very interesting), relatively bright without being brilliant.  Art was messed up, brilliant, fascinating, charismatic.  There is only one Art Bell and his like will never be back again.  Don't compare other radio hosts to Art, or they will all just end up coming short and you won't be able to enjoy this wonderful renaissance we're having of streaming paranormal radio shows (so many,... more all the time,... some of them are very good).

AZZERAE

The problem is, you're comparing him to Art. Art was a character. Dave Schrader is not a character, at all. He's normal and well-adjusted (which is nice for him, but it's not very interesting), relatively bright without being brilliant. Art was messed up, brilliant, fascinating, charismatic. There is only one Art Bell and his like will never be back again. Don't compare other radio hosts to Art, or they will all just end up coming short and you won't be able to enjoy this wonderful renaissance we're having of streaming paranormal radio shows.

Thanks Faustina, you hit the nail on the head! I was hoping somebody would help me sort through the trouble I'm having with Schrader's "style"...you're absolutely right, I have this awful habit of comparing the new guy with Art. It really is the fact that Schrader is well adjusted that makes him so uninteresting. I've never related to or understood people who were good at life. I tend to be a misfit magnet, and a proud fuck-up myself. The thing that got me about Schrader is that he offers me nothing as a listener (personally). I know a lot of people here are into the paranormal - but the host that comes closest to Art's magic is Michael Savage for me, and yes, he's "politics" and conservative, so I'm sure that's a switch off for a lot of people...but really, to me, he takes me as a listener to that place that I want to be...outside of myself, and gets me to THINK. Art was the only other one who ever did that. But Savage is incredible. Thanks again for helping me understand Schrader's normality.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Kolchak on May 17, 2018, 02:20:41 PM
Would you be willing to battle Vara in a spelling bee for charity?

we'd better start with a crayon coloring contest.  baby steps.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Friday on May 17, 2018, 02:28:36 PM
Nope. That's not what I meant. I meant that you love the person questioning the real numbers of listeners. That's ignorance. Listener numbers are easy to find if you put a little work in. Until then, you adore the ignorant.

Jeez, you must be a blast at parties.

Friday

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:40:16 PM
Jeez, you must be a blast at parties.
I'm a fucking hoot. How'd ya guess?

Corona Kitty

I see your point.  The problem is, you're comparing him to Art.  Art was a character.  Dave Schrader is not a character, at all.  He's normal and well-adjusted (which is nice for him, but it's not very interesting), relatively bright without being brilliant.  Art was messed up, brilliant, fascinating, charismatic.  There is only one Art Bell and his like will never be back again.  Don't compare other radio hosts to Art, or they will all just end up coming short and you won't be able to enjoy this wonderful renaissance we're having of streaming paranormal radio shows (so many,... more all the time,... some of them are very good).

The best are damaged.

Shithead

There are people here on the East Coast who can't stay up to listen. I'm not the only one who subscribes in order to download the show and listen later.

Good Dave will be fine.

Spookcat

Do you want ghost cats? Because that's how you get ghost cats.