• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 05:58:53 PM
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/us/d-day-plane-c-47.html

Pretty cool article about restoration of a C-47 that flew on D Day.

There's a C53 (Basically a troop transport version of the C47) at McClellan aerospace museum in Sac. That flew at D Day (glider tug) and also the Berlin airlift. It had a colourful life after that, eventually being confiscated by the DEA from a drug gang and now sits there in its original D Day colours.

Taaroa

Sounds like they're rearming for Round 2  ;) 

"French President announced on Jan. 26 that the defense ministers of Argentina and France have signed a contract for the sale of five Super Etendards to Argentina."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJZkWyBWHE

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on January 31, 2018, 10:59:25 PM
Sounds like they're rearming for Round 2  ;) 

"French President announced on Jan. 26 that the defense ministers of Argentina and France have signed a contract for the sale of five Super Etendards to Argentina."

Magazines like JDW and AFM have been reporting on this deal for several months.  The a/c were bought as can birds for the dozen or so Argentine Super Etendards that have been grounded for three years for lack of spares.

Up All Night

SD Mullis gets some great LAX in-terminal plane spotting in this 4K video.

https://youtu.be/PvH8oyfrAw0

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Taaroa on January 31, 2018, 10:59:25 PM
Sounds like they're rearming for Round 2  ;) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJZkWyBWHE

That wouldn't end well for them if they so much as switched on their targeting radar near the Falklands. I think they're sensible enough to know that.  ;)

Taaroa

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 01, 2018, 09:13:28 AM
Magazines like JDW and AFM have been reporting on this deal for several months.  The a/c were bought as can birds for the dozen or so Argentine Super Etendards that have been grounded for three years for lack of spares.

I remember that China was offering them some of their fighters a few years ago, and there were reports of them trying to buy those Korean T-50 jets. Reading the wiki page on their airforce it sounds like partly they struggle to get new aircraft from foreign govts for "political reasons":

QuoteThe acquisition of Spanish Mirage F1Ms, IAI Kfir Block 60s and Saab Gripen E/Fs was considered, but as of February 2015, all of those deals appear to have stalled; The Mirage F1 deal was scrapped by the Spanish government in March 2014 after pressure of the UK to not assist in FAA modernization over tensions between the countries over the Falkland Islands. The UK has also managed to veto the sale of Gripen E/Fs, as 30% of the Gripen's parts are manufactured there. The deal with Israel has reportedly stalled for technical and political reasons.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on February 02, 2018, 12:27:13 AM
I remember that China was offering them some of their fighters a few years ago, and there were reports of them trying to buy those Korean T-50 jets. Reading the wiki page on their airforce it sounds like partly they struggle to get new aircraft from foreign govts for "political reasons":

First time I saw pics of the T-50. Nice looking plane.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on February 02, 2018, 12:27:13 AM

Yes, all true.  Just goes to show how little the Brits fear the Argentines acquiring a handful of spare parts donor a/c to support a dozen or so nearly 40 year old SEs  for which they have no Exocets.  The fact the UK was able block the sale of fighters to Argentina from nations (China, Israel, SK) over which they would be expected to hold little sway, yet saw the sale of the can birds from one of the Brit's closest allies, puts things in perspective.

Taaroa

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 02, 2018, 06:46:55 AM
Yes, all true.  Just goes to show how little the Brits fear the Argentines acquiring a handful of spare parts donor a/c to support a dozen or so nearly 40 year old SEs  for which they have no Exocets.  The fact the UK was able block the sale of fighters to Argentina from nations (China, Israel, SK) over which they would be expected to hold little sway, yet saw the sale of the can birds from one of the Brit's closest allies, puts things in perspective.
Goes to show how much people trust them to act in a rational manner, or how annoying they've been pestering people about the Falklands issue. I think at least for the Korea/China sales it's more of a matter of funds rather than political interference.

I can't remember if I've mentioned it here, but about 10 years ago I went to Patagonia and stopped at a small town which had an airbase used during the war - and if I remember correctly it was the closest one to the islands. Right in the center of town they have a Mirage mounted on a pedestal and it's surrounded by a war memorial to Las Malvinas.

For the airfield itself, when I was there the runway had a crater in the middle of it and was unusable.

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 02, 2018, 12:39:04 AM

Here's a better pic:

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on February 02, 2018, 08:24:13 AM
Goes to show how much people trust them to act in a rational manner, or how annoying they've been pestering people about the Falklands issue. I think at least for the Korea/China sales it's more of a matter of funds rather than political interference.

I can't remember if I've mentioned it here, but about 10 years ago I went to Patagonia and stopped at a small town which had an airbase used during the war - and if I remember correctly it was the closest one to the islands. Right in the center of town they have a Mirage mounted on a pedestal and it's surrounded by a war memorial to Las Malvinas.

For the airfield itself, when I was there the runway had a crater in the middle of it and was unusable.

Here's a better pic:

Certainly any issue relative to rearming the Argentine military has definite fiscal elements, but the Brits did put political pressure on the Chinese (and Pakistanis) to not sell the Argies the jointly Chinese/Pakistani produced JF-17 fighters.
The Chinese initially offered the Argies a sweetheart of a deal that was tied to China building/upgrading a space tracking station somewhere in Argentina.  I remember at the time PMing a few people here with NASA connections (GS? Dyna-X?) asking if they were aware of PRC tracking station in Argentina.  The details of why the deal fell through were never made clear, but Brit pressure and Argentine money problems both contributed.  It's also noteworthy that about the same time articles began appearing in the professional military aviation press that the JF-17 was not meeting expectations and was not as capable as had been advertised. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 02, 2018, 09:43:42 AM
Certainly any issue relative to rearming the Argentine military has definite fiscal elements, but the Brits did put political pressure on the Chinese (and Pakistanis) to not sell the Argies the jointly Chinese/Pakistani produced JF-17 fighters.
The Chinese initially offered the Argies a sweetheart of a deal that was tied to China building/upgrading a space tracking station somewhere in Argentina.  I remember at the time PMing a few people here with NASA connections (GS? Dyna-X?) asking if they were aware of PRC tracking station in Argentina.  The details of why the deal fell through were never made clear, but Brit pressure and Argentine money problems both contributed.  It's also noteworthy that about the same time articles began appearing in the professional military aviation press that the JF-17 was not meeting expectations and was not as capable as had been advertised.

It's unlikely Argentina could afford anything that was capable of matching the Typhoons and their crews stationed at Stanley.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 02, 2018, 12:39:04 AM

The T-50 family of aircraft was developed by the SKs with assistance from Lockheed-Martin, explaining something of an F-16 heritage.  When I was working on JSF in the late 90s/early 00s, we used to see the SK engineers around the Ft Worth plant.  On one occasion we happened to stay at the same hotel with them, and struck up a conversation with a group of them at the bar.  A couple of us wound up going to dinner with them at a Korean restaurant where we were introduce to "soju", a Korean rice/sweet potato based whiskey.  Our new friends were pounding it down, so we too started drinking it in earnest. They kept pouring it, we kept drinking it. It had a slightly sweet taste, and was (too) easy going down.  The effect of the drink really didn't hit me at first, rather it snuck up on me.  By the time I got back to the hotel around midnight, I was truly and totally skull fucked.  I made all my meetings the next day, but was bleary eyed and in considerable discomfort.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 02, 2018, 03:00:55 PM
https://mashable.com/2018/02/01/spacex-launching-a-tesla-to-space-is-fun/#WFCWrX5V7Equ

Elon Musk his putting his personal car into orbit around Mars. a heliocentric orbit as far out as Mars.

Hopefully he won’t get a rude lesson on harmonics and induced vibrations.

Some rationale people try to control variables and perform engineering analysis.

But he will get good test data that will be very useful if he ever wants to launch another identical car.

GravitySucks

I anticipate a rather significant cruise missile barrage.

It doesn’t say which rebels these were that shot down the SU-25 and then killed the pilot when he landed successfully after ejecting.

https://tsarizm.com/news/2018/02/03/russian-attack-jet-shot-down-over-syria-by-rebels-pilot-dead/

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 03, 2018, 03:33:34 PM

It doesn’t say which rebels these were that shot down the SU-25 and then killed the pilot when he landed successfully after ejecting.

https://tsarizm.com/news/2018/02/03/russian-attack-jet-shot-down-over-syria-by-rebels-pilot-dead/

The SU-25 is roughly the Russian equivalent of the A-10, and it was shot down with a MANPAD?  Must have been a lucky shot if the SU-25 is as well armored as and has the system redundancy of the Warthog.

Taaroa

The T-50 equipped Black Eagle aerobatics team from South Korea had an accident today, where a tyre burst on takeoff at Changi Airport and flipped the aircraft. Reports say that the pilot escaped with minor injuries.

https://youtu.be/t0jxccXpsWU

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/singapore-airshow-single-seater-aircraft-involved-in-accident-pilot-escapes-with

---------------------------------------------

UPS placed an order for 14 new 747-8s, which combined with Boeing's backlog of 12 and rate of production of 6 airframes a year means that production of the line will continue into the 2020s. As of December 2017 there has been 136 orders of the 747-8, of which only 47 have been the passenger carrying variant.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 03, 2018, 03:33:34 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/02/06/russian-pilot-blows-himself-up-to-avoid-capture-by-jihadists.html

Sounds like John Wayne in the "The Fighting Seebees".  If true, however, a gernade selfie is infinitely preferable to the fate of the Jordanian F-16 pilot captured by ISIS (or a Clinton presidency.)

albrecht

https://www.wikizero.com/en/Saratov_Airlines_Flight_703

I see in other threads places there is already conspiratorial claims and speculation ('Snowden on flight', 'some Russian linked the Clinton Uranium One was on flight' etc.) But refusing de-icing, Russian airlines, weather, history of bans, etc. And terrorism is also a initial thought (though they say no traces.)

Up All Night

Pilots ejected before this Israeli F-16 crashed inside Israel after being hit by an anti-aircraft missile inside Syria. I assume the missile system was made in Russia and sold to Iran initially.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 05:12:48 AM
Pilots ejected before this Israeli F-16 crashed inside Israel after being hit by an anti-aircraft missile inside Syria. I assume the missile system was made in Russia and sold to Iran initially.

If it was inside Syria it was probably one of our stingers.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 12, 2018, 05:50:38 PM
If it was inside Syria it was probably one of our stingers.

So the US Military Industrial Complex makes a profit on both the aircraft and on the anti-aircraft weapon?  Cool!

Taaroa

Europe really seems to let Airbus get away with murder. I wonder what the capabilities are that it can't achieve:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-a400m-exclusive/exclusive-europes-a400m-army-plane-may-see-some-features-axed-idUSKBN1FW1TR

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 05:12:48 AM
Israel acts all indignant over losing a plane when it was the one conducting airstrikes in another country's airspace.

Up All Night

Quote from: Taaroa on February 12, 2018, 10:53:49 PM
Israel acts all indignant over losing a plane when it was the one conducting airstrikes in another country's airspace.

A necessary pretext to go to war, I suppose...