• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Rix Gins

This postcard was cancelled on June 29, 1908.  The Tunguska Event would occur the next day, or who knows, given the time differences between Siberia and Ohio, it might have been happening right then.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Rix Gins

Sam wrote the date as being August 16, 1906, so we have a 102 year old postcard here.  A bad earthquake hit Valparaíso, Chile on that day. Magnitude 8.2. http://corrugatedcity.blogspot.com/2008/09/valparaiso-earthquake-1906.html

Rix Gins

Here is a nice, sturdy looking plane from the 1950's.

Rix Gins

I wouldn't mind having some of that Golden Roast Duck but I'm really not sure if the restaurant is still there.  There are a number of Bavarian restaurants in the state of Illinois, but I wasn't able to connect any of them with the one shown on the postcard.

Corona Kitty

Post cards?... What the fuck.

Anyways...

What does rix gins mean?

Rix Gins

Quote from: username on November 24, 2018, 07:21:18 PM
Post cards?... What the fuck.

You just noticed?  I've been posting them since May 08, 2016.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 24, 2018, 07:41:03 PM
You just noticed?  I've been posting them since May 08, 2016.

Hehe yes!

Just right now... I just realized this thread existed. But what does your username mean? That's the $1000000 question.

Rix Gins

Quote from: username on November 24, 2018, 07:44:17 PM
Hehe yes!

Just right now... I just realized this thread existed. But what does your username mean? That's the $1000000 question.

Cool.  The meaning of the name?  Oh, nothing much.  Just a phonetic, play on words sort of thing.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 24, 2018, 07:49:11 PM
Cool.  The meaning of the name?  Oh, nothing much.  Just a phonetic, play on words sort of thing.

Alright, that's cool.

Rix Gins

I'm pretty sure that most people have heard of Sardi's in the Broadway District of New York City.  The place has been around for 90 years. http://www.sardis.com/htmldocs/cms/

The postcard itself was printed back in 1987.  That up and down line of info gives the year, and that is something that rarely occurs with postcards.

Rix Gins

Journey back to the 1950's and you could spend a night at the Alamo.  The Alamo Plaza Hotel Court, that is.  These courts were the very first motel chain in the states and that I didn't know.  There were twenty plus of them back in 1955 but they slowly dwindled away and the last one was turned into a Travelodge.  A few of the original buildings are still around but the Alamo architecture has been removed. One is being used for housing for the homeless and another is an apartment complex and yet another is a members-only resort for adult gay males.  The rest of them have all been demolished.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamo_Plaza_Hotel_Courts

Metron2267

Another great place to road trip a night away:

Rix Gins

There are currently a number of hotels and apartments near the above spot but I'm not sure if any of them go by the name of Brazil.

The postcard was cancelled on December 23, 1968.  I was working at a IHOP in Seattle, Washington and we had a good six inch fall of snow that I got to walk home in.  (Sometime in January though, not December.) 

Metron2267

Stayed here once back in the day - Pre-Steely Dan of course:

Rix Gins

Not really into philosophy all that much but I do like to look at vintage houses.  Philosopher Emerson's house is still around, despite a fire that occurred there back in 1872.  The house is now a museum, open to the public on a seasonal basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Waldo_Emerson_House

Photograph of Ralph Waldo Emerson House, Concord, Massachusetts, USA. This National Historic Landmark was the longtime home of philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson.
By Daderot. - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1918915

Rix Gins

The restaurant is gone but the grounds live on.  Statues, fountains and ponds can be taken in during an afternoon stroll, but they will deny access if a wedding has been scheduled. 

The grounds are still called the Kapok Tree Inn, despite there not being an Inn.
Info on the Inn: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/21199

Rix Gins

I wish Art was still around to see this postcard.  I know he was a ham radio operator but I think he did CB radio stuff too.

Some RCA Mark VIII radio ads: http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rca/mark_viii/ad/index.htm

Metron2267

Spookcat

I've seen collections of TWA stuff, do other air businesses have that sort of "following" for lack of a better word?

Metron2267

Quote from: Spookcat on December 06, 2018, 08:23:18 PM
I've seen collections of TWA stuff, do other air businesses have that sort of "following" for lack of a better word?

Oh yes indeed, air carrier memorabilia is a thing.

Rix Gins

A somewhat clear stamp cancellation date of January 25, 1912 is on the back of this postcard.  Nothing much to speak of happened on that date, although a German aviator by the name of Karl Grulich...
Quotetripled the record for staying aloft with multiple passengers, flying for an hour and 35 minutes in a Harlan monoplane over Johannisthal. 
Wiki

Spookcat

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 07, 2018, 08:25:13 PM

A somewhat clear stamp cancellation date of January 25, 1912 is on the back of this postcard.  Nothing much to speak of happened on that date, although a German aviator by the name of Karl Grulich...Wiki

I don't know how I feel about sellers putting the numbers on the cards. Like this one did with price and I'm assuming booth number. Even though it's in pencil, in a way, it takes a tiny bit away from the card. Not that it bothers me enough to avoid cards like that, I usually just go by what attracts me on the picture. What are your thoughts on it?

AZZERAE

Quote from: Spookcat on December 08, 2018, 05:02:04 AM
I don't know how I feel about sellers putting the numbers on the cards. Like this one did with price and I'm assuming booth number. Even though it's in pencil, in a way, it takes a tiny bit away from the card. Not that it bothers me enough to avoid cards like that, I usually just go by what attracts me on the picture. What are your thoughts on it?

The addition of a price ruins the magic of the card, and cheapens it - as an art object.

Rix Gins

Spookcat and Azzerae, welcome, both of you to the wonderful world of postcard collecting.  If, like me, you were to enter into the postcard collection game, you would notice right away that almost all of the postcards that you purchase online have a penciled in price on them.  This is because 99 percent of the postcards were first put up for sale at yard sales, flea markets at your local national guard armories and shoe box containers full of postcards that can be found at antique malls.  Online sellers offer hundreds, if not thousands of postcards for sale and quite simply, they don't bother to remove, or erase the prices that were once written on them from the earlier sales venues that most likely took place twenty or thirty years previous to when the online sellers got their greedy little hands on them. 

When I post a card from my collection I try my best to remove any penciled in price but due to time constraints, and my failing eyesight, I will on occasion, miss them.  In the immortal words of Get Smart's Maxwell Smart, "Sorry about that, Chief."

Really, you might want to look upon postcards as being historic rather than artistic.  I do value your input though and I will make every effort to remove the penciled in prices.  Thank you for visiting the postcard thread.         

Spookcat

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 08, 2018, 06:31:43 AM
Spookcat and Azzerae, welcome, both of you to the wonderful world of postcard collecting.  If, like me, you were to enter into the postcard collection game, you would notice right away that almost all of the postcards that you purchase online have a penciled in price on them.  This is because 99 percent of the postcards were first put up for sale at yard sales, flea markets at your local national guard armories and shoe box containers full of postcards that can be found at antique malls.  Online sellers offer hundreds, if not thousands of postcards for sale and quite simply, they don't bother to remove, or erase the prices that were once written on them from the earlier sales venues that most likely took place twenty or thirty years previous to when the online sellers got their greedy little hands on them. 

When I post a card from my collection I try my best to remove any penciled in price but due to time constraints, and my failing eyesight, I will on occasion, miss them.  In the immortal words of Get Smart's Maxwell Smart, "Sorry about that, Chief."

Really, you might want to look upon postcards as being historic rather than artistic.  I do value your input though and I will make every effort to remove the penciled in prices.  Thank you for visiting the postcard thread.       

Oh you're fine, Rix, I wish I had brought my collection with me so I could share what I have, but it'll have to wait. When I say artistic, I mean more like photos of sceneries or similar to your moon reflection or the water fountain lights. I've avoided all the...hallmark type cards just because I preferred places. I should branch out more. One of historical event I have back home is showing the coronation of George VI. I've not really paid attention to the stamps and messages. I'll need to.