• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

trostol

i've been playing the heck out of Stardew Valley for some reason lol..sort of a Harvest Moon clone

I've been jonesing to play some N64. Unfortunately I have no clue what happened to mine.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 11, 2016, 05:33:21 AM
I've been jonesing to play some N64. Unfortunately I have no clue what happened to mine.

Go nuts! Finding the ROMs is your responsibility though. It shouldn't be too hard  ;)

http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_64_Emulators/9

trostol

i have started playing American Truck Simulator and its an oddly..fun game to play lol

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on March 13, 2016, 05:39:09 PM
i have started playing American Truck Simulator and its an oddly..fun game to play lol

Yes, but have you tried the Goat Simulator?  :D

ShayP

:D

https://youtu.be/EnJEeHND_lQ

Dr. MD MD

It does look interesting, if a little too involved and detailed for my liking. The fun in a game like this is learning how to drive them perfectly and then just going on an all out, state to state tour of destruction and mayhem  :P

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 13, 2016, 05:47:27 PM
Yes, but have you tried the Goat Simulator?  :D

no..i do have dam simulator some where lol

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 13, 2016, 06:33:55 PM
It does look interesting, if a little too involved and detailed for my liking. The fun in a game like this is learning how to drive them perfectly and then just going on an all out, state to state tour of destruction and mayhem  :P

its interesting..nto sure how long it will hold my interest but you do get docked for speeding and running into things lol

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on March 13, 2016, 06:53:50 PM
no..i do have dam simulator some where lol

Goat Simulator will give you a good laugh for 5-10 minutes. Beyond that I don't know how into it anyone could get.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 13, 2016, 07:18:39 PM
Goat Simulator will give you a good laugh for 5-10 minutes. Beyond that I don't know how into it anyone could get.

that was supposed to be farm simulator

and i heard there was a lot of hilarity in goat sim

Dr. MD MD

Alright, this could be controversial but I'm not a fan of RPGs  :o Yet, I realize they represent some of the most beloved gaming experiences for a lot of gamers. Sometimes people can wax so poetic about them that I almost wish I could relate but, alas, as yet I've not been able to. I think it boils down to two things for me: 1. I'm not a fan of having to read voluminous amounts of text in a game. I don't mind a bit but I want to feel like I'm playing a video game, not reading a book. There have been plenty of games I've started with the best intentions of giving it a fair shot and then after having to obsessively click through pages of dialog or backstory turn it off in despair. 2. I'm not a fan of turn-based battles. This always seems to bring things to a screeching halt for me. Don't get me wrong, I love fighters as a genre so it's not that. I'd just rather have an adventure game that had real time battles rather than what are essentially battles decided by the chance of a dice throw a la D&D. I know there have been some RPGs made that attempt to address the problems I have with them but I'm not sure what they are or what is good. Any suggestions? Regarding for what, I can emulate any system up till about the 5th generation reliably. Beyond that I have a Dreamcast, an OG Xbox, and a Wii. I just haven't had the time or inclination to get into systems beyond these yet though I can sometimes checkout more current games on my mac.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 13, 2016, 10:54:05 PM
Alright, this could be controversial but I'm not a fan of RPGs  :o Yet, I realize they represent some of the most beloved gaming experiences for a lot of gamers. Sometimes people can wax so poetic about them that I almost wish I could relate but, alas, as yet I've not been able to. I think it boils down to two things for me: 1. I'm not a fan of having to read voluminous amounts of text in a game. I don't mind a bit but I want to feel like I'm playing a video game, not reading a book. There have been plenty of games I've started with the best intentions of giving it a fair shot and then after having to obsessively click through pages of dialog or backstory turn it off in despair. 2. I'm not a fan of turn-based battles. This always seems to bring things to a screeching halt for me. Don't get me wrong, I love fighters as a genre so it's not that. I'd just rather have an adventure game that had real time battles rather than what are essentially battles decided by the chance of a dice throw a la D&D. I know there have been some RPGs made that attempt to address the problems I have with them but I'm not sure what they are or what is good. Any suggestions? Regarding for what, I can emulate any system up till about the 5th generation reliably. Beyond that I have a Dreamcast, an OG Xbox, and a Wii. I just haven't had the time or inclination to get into systems beyond these yet though I can sometimes checkout more current games on my mac.

Mass Effect...dunno if its on Mac..has story but its a lot of shooting...Fallout 3...or New Vegas..again not sure if on Mac...again..shooting...both less RNG and more how good you can shoot lol

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on March 13, 2016, 11:20:58 PM
Mass Effect...dunno if its on Mac..has story but its a lot of shooting...Fallout 3...or New Vegas..again not sure if on Mac...again..shooting...both less RNG and more how good you can shoot lol

Yes very important in an RPG that the gameplay itself is fun.  The story and characters are not enough for me to get past tedious gameplay. 

Fallout NV is a good example as even with all the RPG elements, alot of it's an action game too, and the fighting is fun. Another example which has an even higher action/rpg ratio is Borderlands 2.  Also the original Deus Ex kind of fits since you're doing alot of visceral things (shooting/sneaking/exploring) while you wind through the story. (I haven't played any of the later ones yet.)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 13, 2016, 11:32:15 PM
Yes very important in an RPG that the gameplay itself is fun.  The story and characters are not enough for me to get past tedious gameplay. 

Fallout NV is a good example as even with all the RPG elements, alot of it's an action game too, and the fighting is fun. Another example which has an even higher action/rpg ratio is Borderlands 2.  Also the original Deus Ex kind of fits since you're doing alot of visceral things (shooting/sneaking/exploring) while you wind through the story. (I haven't played any of the later ones yet.)

Well, I think I'm SOL on the Mass Effect games and Fallout it seems. I picked up some version of Deus Ex for the original Xbox awhile back just because I thought the cover looked interesting and it was dirt cheap but I haven't popped it in yet. I'll have to check it out soon. I should also mention that I have a PSP too, if anyone knows of anything from that library that would fit the bill.

Dr. MD MD

http://universesandbox.com/

This looks cool! However, as a mac user I burn once again  :'(

Hautex

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 13, 2016, 06:26:12 PM
Breaker, breaker, good buddy. Come on in!
In the real CB world, you should never bend over to pick up your keys in front of somebody who's your "good buddy"... unless that's how you roll.... ;D

trostol

so i am still playing it..interesting watching the landscape go on by..cause thats really all tha thappens..on another note..i cant park to save my life..always end up jack knifing the thing

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Hautex on March 15, 2016, 08:02:27 PM
In the real CB world, you should never bend over to pick up your keys in front of somebody who's your "good buddy"... unless that's how you roll.... ;D

I dunno. I'm not a trucker or a CBer. That's just what they used to say in most of the movies and TV shows back in the 70s about truckin. 10-4?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on March 15, 2016, 08:32:43 PM
so i am still playing it..interesting watching the landscape go on by..cause thats really all tha thappens..on another note..i cant park to save my life..always end up jack knifing the thing

You could always take some speed and push on through...make it more authentic  ;)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 11, 2016, 05:39:38 AM
Go nuts! Finding the ROMs is your responsibility though. It shouldn't be too hard  ;)

http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_64_Emulators/9

Just not the same, I bought a new N64. The current price of N64 games is absurd.

much nicer to use real hardware instead of emulators, if you just want to play games but the games are expensive to buy then an SD card adapter like the Everdrive will let you use emulator ROMs on the real thing.

analog kid

But you hook those old consoles up to a modern 1080p TV and they look pretty horrible.

I've never been able to get into emulators though.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Threaten the Hoover on March 18, 2016, 08:26:13 AM
much nicer to use real hardware instead of emulators, if you just want to play games but the games are expensive to buy then an SD card adapter like the Everdrive will let you use emulator ROMs on the real thing.

I agree but , frankly, even classic consoles are starting to get up there in price now and most made beyond the mid 90s will be disc based. For example, I've given up hope on getting a Saturn at a reasonable price. The games are getting ridiculously priced now too. Fortunately, I can now emulate that system for most games pretty well. I've played an actual Saturn and I'd say the emulation is close to 100% accurate. In a collectors market the price of these things is only going to keep going up and because of that one day in the near future a lot of these experiences will only be available to most through emulation. I have a bunch of classic consoles myself (some with everdrives) that I was able to grab before the market started going crazy but now that it has I probably won't keep trying to get the actual hardware anymore (unless it's a killer deal).

I really think we need to get over this whole "emulation is bad" idea because for many, if not most, this will be the only way they'll be able to experience certain systems. I love being able to access some of these games that I otherwise wouldn't be able to. Furthermore, I think consoles will soon go the way of the dodo, anyway. Just like most people now use a camera through their smartphone, gaming will most likely be subsumed within general computing. The files sizes are too big now and they're always updating and stuff. Soon or later people will realize that it's just easier to streamline this as a function of their existing computer setup.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 18, 2016, 05:10:39 AM
Just not the same, I bought a new N64. The current price of N64 games is absurd.

Umm...yeah! Over the past decade, with the rise of You Tube, there have been a plethora of You Tube shows about video game collecting. Some of these have been great and I've really enjoyed them. However, I gotta figure this has probably not only contributed to the problem but has, in fact, created it. Those darned double edged swords always cut both ways  ;)

Enjoy the N64. Some great games for that system! If you were playing them through an emulator you wouldn't have to use that stupid, wonky controller though :P

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 18, 2016, 11:20:55 AM
Umm...yeah! Over the past decade, with the rise of You Tube, there have been a plethora of You Tube shows about video game collecting. Some of these have been great and I've really enjoyed them. However, I gotta figure this has probably not only contributed to the problem but has, in fact, created it. Those darned double edged swords always cut both ways  ;)

Enjoy the N64. Some great games for that system! If you were playing them through an emulator you wouldn't have to use that stupid, wonky controller though :P

The controller is actually part of the fun. The problem I have is the controller I have has a new joystick. These new joysticks are way over responsive and make playing games almost impossible. I need to find a controller with orginal joystick. Games can be super expensive too conkers goes for $80, Zelda $50, I did score Mario 64 for $30.

Ever drive is cool but really expensive.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 19, 2016, 05:42:08 AM
The controller is actually part of the fun. The problem I have is the controller I have has a new joystick. These new joysticks are way over responsive and make playing games almost impossible. I need to find a controller with orginal joystick. Games can be super expensive too conkers goes for $80, Zelda $50, I did score Mario 64 for $30.

Ever drive is cool but really expensive.

Yeah, it was always a lot of fun having to move your hand position around all the time to cover all the bases; and with the joystick in the middle I never really knew which thumb should be using it. It was awkward and disorienting but whatever floats your boat.  ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the games for it. It's just sooo much more fun to play them with the ease and comfort of a PS3 controller now. ;D

P.S. I realized that I actually only have one system with an everdrive now, a Sega Master System. It was about $80 with shipping all in. I didn't think that was too bad to be able to access any game for the system immediately, as soon as I turn it on.  :)

zeebo

Awhile back I wanted to play some old PS1/2 titles on my old console and couldn't believe how expensive they were on ebay.  Like these games were some kind of rare artifact to behold!  I just wanted to play them, not friggin put them in some display case.  I think that's when I became a PC gamer.