• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on December 10, 2016, 12:47:46 PM
ugh..actually thats a double ugh

Ha I'm suddenly reminded of CavemanOogUgh, who at this point I'm rooting for to replace Hoagie.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on December 10, 2016, 08:24:32 PM
Ha I'm suddenly reminded of CavemanOogUgh, who at this point I'm rooting for to replace Hoagie.

Yeah, too bad he was so short lived on Bellgab. I think he's more Facebook/Twitter guy. Dr. Woks Wong was a lot of fun too but the guy or people doing him couldn't maintain the consistency of the character after awhile.  :D

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 09, 2016, 10:37:58 PM
It's too bad. It looks like kind of a fun game. I can only hope that someone who owns one of these cabs will do the right thing and upload the ROM for posterity.  ;)
I've played it before. I think the reason it wasn't popular was because the first level was extremely difficult to get past. You lost your quarter in a hurry.  Kind of like a poker machine being wound too tight. I did play it once or twice before I decided to get more enjoyment from the other cabs that were there. ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: /dev/null on December 10, 2016, 09:17:44 PM
I've played it before. I think the reason it wasn't popular was because the first level was extremely difficult to get past. You lost your quarter in a hurry.  Kind of like a poker machine being wound too tight. I did play it once or twice before I decided to get more enjoyment from the other cabs that were there. ;)

Now that I know that I can't have it I really, really want it!  :D

It could be one of those early rare hardwired games for which there is no ROM.  ???

Roswells, Art

I'm in New Mexico at the moment, I've decided to ask Hoagy in person to pay the fee and get back on the air.

Jk, i am in nm though

zeebo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on December 10, 2016, 11:14:12 PM
I'm in New Mexico at the moment...

Hey you can't mention being in NM w/o giving us the weather report.  ;D

Roswells, Art

Quote from: zeebo on December 10, 2016, 11:22:36 PM
Hey you can't mention being in NM w/o giving us the weather report.  ;D

It's nice! Windy and warm. I saw a tumbleweed. It has to be sign. Hoagland isn't coming back.

trostol

Quote from: Roswells, Art on December 10, 2016, 11:32:29 PM

It's nice! Windy and warm. I saw a tumbleweed. It has to be sign. Hoagland isn't coming back.

there's always been tumbleweeds in his head

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: trostol on December 10, 2016, 12:47:46 PM
ugh..actually thats a double ugh

We should do an imaging panel with norland on MV's podcast site. "It's a rock." ... "Agreed."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 11, 2016, 12:19:59 AM
We should do an imaging panel with norland on MV's podcast site. "It's a rock." ... "Agreed."

Hey, don't you think that rock kinda looks like a giraffe's head?

Yes, but it's still just a rock.

I agree.

:)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 10, 2016, 09:20:31 PM

It could be one of those early rare hardwired games for which there is no ROM.  ???
That's a possibility. It was an off-brand company that manufactured it.

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 11, 2016, 12:19:59 AM

so pretty much a 2 minute show?

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on December 11, 2016, 02:23:22 AM

no the other 118 mins. is explaining how they covered up the artifact story by making it look like a rock.

comaphobe

Quote from: /dev/null on December 10, 2016, 09:17:44 PM

i spent a good hour or two searching for that rom this weekend... no luck. i can't tell if it's a scroller or what but the wobby road is unique. i don't think i have ever played it. it kind of reminds me of pitstop or pitstop II but a view more like spy hunter or river raid. It looks really weird, i can't think of another racing game that has that kind of thing going on.

another game that was a quarter eater was the black night pinball game. very steep so ball was very fast.

the US mint had to put several million extra quarters into circulation in the heyday of arcades because they were being dropped into machines. i think i heard that in the king of kong documentary.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 10, 2016, 09:20:31 PM

it's really evasive. i checked all mame and non-mame arcade archives that i know of.

i love 70's and 80's arcade and pinball machines. my family had a videostore and repair shop in the 70s to 90s and there were always pinball machines and arcade cabinets. plus there were service calls all over the place and from the earliest age i often had access to unlimited pinball/arcade plays. when i was just learning to ride a bike i was standing on milk crates playing pacman. my favorite game from that era is FRENZY by stern. it was the sequel to berserk. it was excellent in the arcade and on the colecovision, so much better than berserk and robotron which were both also really good.

this is kind of odd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dZeM4qqOTo

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on December 11, 2016, 03:09:01 AM

i spent a good hour or two searching for that rom this weekend... no luck. i can't tell if it's a scroller or what but the wobby road is unique. i don't think i have ever played it. it kind of reminds me of pitstop or pitstop II but a view more like spy hunter or river raid. It looks really weird, i can't think of another racing game that has that kind of thing going on.

another game that was a quarter eater was the black night pinball game. very steep so ball was very fast.

the US mint had to put several million extra quarters into circulation in the heyday of arcades because they were being dropped into machines. i think i heard that in the king of kong documentary.

it's really evasive. i checked all mame and non-mame arcade archives that i know of.

i love 70's and 80's arcade and pinball machines. my family had a videostore and repair shop in the 70s to 90s and there were always pinball machines and arcade cabinets. plus there were service calls all over the place and from the earliest age i often had access to unlimited pinball/arcade plays. when i was just learning to ride a bike i was standing on milk crates playing pacman. my favorite game from that era is FRENZY by stern. it was the sequel to berserk. it was excellent in the arcade and on the colecovision, so much better than berserk and robotron which were both also really good.

Sounds like you had a cool upbringing. You probably got pretty good at electronics anyway, I suppose. I really miss arcades sometimes. I've actually had dreams about being back in them. Sigh...but I know that it's a time and place thing that will never be again. It's cool they have those arcade bars now...but it's not the same thing.  :'(

comaphobe

when i lived in lexington ky until 2001 there was a large arcade near my house. that was the last time i saw one like that. i think it was the kentucky arcade. i can't find it online so i guess it's long gone. it was a traditional selection with about 80 or so games from 80s to 2000s. they also had modern games like gauntlet legends, and hydro thunder, and both were networked. there was this one snow bros machine that i dumped a few hundred into over the years and just as i was about to move to canada there is a for sale sign of $450 on the cabinet. i always regretted not grabbing it for that price. it had original side decals and the marquee up top was in great shape.

there is one called playdium about 20km west of me in the suburb mississauga, it was a 3-5 location franchise spread out across canada and was launched by SEGA sometime in the 90s. they eventually sold it off, probably around the time they exited console production. i don't remember, i don't think i lived in canada at the time. but in the end i think the one in mississauga is the only one that survived. it's more integrated stuff like inline networked racing, surfing/skiiing games, shooting sims or turret/gunship battle where you sit in a pod or something... all on very large screens, and all games require paripherals (light gun, cockpit and instruments, racing seat/panel, etc..). apparently they have mario kart arcade now. i haven't gone in years but they are fully licensed and you can booze it up. you charge up a card with either unlimited or x amount of credits and you tap or swipe the card when you walk up on a machine. it's probably similar to what jillian's used to be. the last time i was there their games were aging but it was still fun to smoke some dope and drink beer and go surfing or flying or racing against 6 ppl in formula one cockpits.

in the 80s arcade air was often blue. many cabinets had ashtrays bolted to them. many had burn marks on the control panel. what a shame to think of these days. but i think me and my friends used to burn this super sprint game often. the smoke is sitting there for the whole race and all you can smell is ..... burning ..... super off-road was another good multiplayer (3) game with edgy suspense. same concept as supersprint. danny sullivan also had one called 'indy heat' and it was a very similar concept but nowhere near as popular as the other 2 games.

as a kid the arcade was the place to meet up with your friends. it was like "what do you want to do" then "i dunno" then "let's go to the arcade until we figure out what we wanna do". it was the best place to kill time and no drugs were ever consumed.

comaphobe

to clarify:

- bolting metal ashtrays to the front of an arcade cabinet is terrible
- smoking anywhere near a beautiful arcade machine is awful
- exposing artwork or circuitry to 2nd hand smoke/tar or potential burn marks on lamenated surfaces is very silly
- smoking indoors was always extremely dumb
- smoking period is not cool

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on December 11, 2016, 04:02:21 AM
when i lived in kentucky until 2001 there was a large arcade near my house. that was the last time i saw one like that. i think it was the kentucky arcade. i can't find it online so i guess it's long gone. it was a traditional selection with about 80 or so games from 80s to 2000s. they also had modern games like gauntlet legends, and hydro thunder, and both were networked. there was this one snow bros machine that i dumped a few hundred into over the years and just as i was about to move to canada there is a for sale sign of $450 on the cabinet. i always regretted not grabbing it for that price. it had original side decals and the marquee up top was in great shape.

there is one called playdium about 20km west of me in the suburb mississauga, it was a 3-5 location franchise spread out across canada and was launched by SEGA sometime in the 90s. they eventually sold it off, probably around the time they exited console production. i don't remember, i don't think i lived in canada at the time. but in the end i think the one in mississauga is the only one that survived. it's more integrated stuff like inline networked racing, surfing/skiiing games, shooting sims or turret/gunship battle where you sit in a pod or something... all on very large screens, and all games require paripherals (light gun, cockpit and instruments, racing seat/panel, etc..). apparently they have mario kart arcade now. i haven't gone in years but they are fully licensed and you can booze it up. you charge up a card with either unlimited or x amount of credits and you tap or swipe the card when you walk up on a machine. it's probably similar to what jillian's used to be. the last time i was there their games were aging but it was still fun to smoke some dope and drink beer and go surfing or flying or racing against 6 ppl in formula one cockpits.

in the 80s arcade air was often blue. many cabinets had ashtrays bolted to them. many had burn marks on the control panel. what a shame to think of these days. but i think me and my friends used to burn this super sprint game often. the smoke is sitting there for the whole race and all you can smell is ..... burning ..... super off-road was another good multiplayer (3) game with edgy suspense. same concept as supersprint. danny sullivan also had one called 'indy heat' and it was a very similar concept but nowhere near as popular as the other 2 games.

as a kid the arcade was the place to meet up with your friends. it was like "what do you want to do" then "i dunno" then "let's go to the arcade until we figure out what we wanna do". it was the best place to kill time and no drugs were ever consumed.

I'm probably a bit older than you but the 80s was more my arcade time. By the 90s most were already shut down around here though you could still find a few cabinets at your local bar usually. I remember playing a lot of Lethal Enforcers with a buddy of mine at one place. We actually got pretty good at it but I can't remember if we ever made it to the end though. Racing games have always been fun. I had a lot of fun with both Pole Position and Outrun over the years but the best was probably Daytona USA. It really gave you the feeling of being in Nascar.  8)

Did you ever play the Gyro version of After Burner?

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 11, 2016, 04:22:35 AM
I'm probably a bit older than you but the 80s was more my arcade time. By the 90s most were already shut down around here though you could still find a few cabinets at your local bar usually. I remember playing a lot of Lethal Enforcers with a buddy of mine at one place. We actually got pretty good at it but I can't remember if we ever made it to the end though. Racing games have always been fun. I had a lot of fun with both Pole Position and Outrun over the years but the best was probably Daytona USA. It really gave you the feeling of being in Nascar.  8)

Did you ever play the Gyro version of After Burner?

i was born in 1975 and was about 5 when pacman came to north america. i was about 8 when donkey kong jr came out.

the 80s was definitely the arcade time, by 1992/93 they were becoming extremely rare. what i meant to say before is that by the 90s all of the arcades were either really corporate, or they were lounge based and usually with a ticket redemption / prize area. with the exception of the one in kentucky that i mentioned, which was a typical 80s arcade, by that point it was the only classic looking arcade that i knew of anywhere.

daytona was good, but that came way later. i played it at playdium in the early 2000s. i think it was 2 or 4 units linked up so ppl could race together.

yes that version of afterburner is the only one that was worthy, i think it used to cost 75 cents. 50 was a lot but 75 was bullshit. i played a stand up version once and the metal stick had a bad ground or something and i kept getting zapped. between paying a nut and getting electrocuted, i wouldn't play much in the way of fighter jet games until ace combat came along many years later. the 3 PS2 and 2 PSP versions of ace combat were awesome, but the limited controls of the PSP make those 2 games hard to multitask/control jet but the portable versions were still extremely fun and pleasant to look at. i played a demo of another one on XB360 once and it was great even if it was just a dicktease. i would consider buying a modern game system just to play newer ace combat games.

similar to after burner deluxe. this would make me puke, there is no way i could sit in this thing and not convulse. stuff begins at 4:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meYx9RuCAQY#t=250

Dyna-X

I hope MV can overlook the fact we are hijacking Hoagies thread with video games talk for the moment, but I guess its all the same as it brings up stats. Strike while the iron is hot.

All this talk I hear of ROMs has me intrigued. Before I get ridden out of town with the irons and a can of Pork N' Beans by a bunch of angry townspeople jeering n00b or whatever, may I quietly ask is the standard way to run these ROMs is by using MAME?
http://mamedev.org/

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Dyna-X on December 11, 2016, 08:16:03 AM
I hope MV can overlook the fact we are hijacking Hoagies thread with video games talk for the moment, but I guess its all the same as it brings up stats. Strike while the iron is hot.

All this talk I hear of ROMs has me intrigued. Before I get ridden out of town with the irons and a can of Pork N' Beans by a bunch of angry townspeople jeering n00b or whatever, may I quietly ask is the standard way to run these ROMs is by using MAME?
http://mamedev.org/

Yes. There are a few others but MAME probably has the most development behind it. I discovered it in the late 90s. If you have a mac I'd suggest openemu though, which is a front end that collects all emulators into one program.

zeebo

Quote from: comaphobe on December 11, 2016, 03:09:01 AM
...my favorite game from that era is FRENZY by stern. it was the sequel to berserk. it was excellent in the arcade and on the colecovision, so much better than berserk and robotron which were both also really good.

I loved Berzerk probably just for the audio clips "Intruder Alert - Kill the humanoid!"

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 11, 2016, 03:21:19 AM
Sounds like you had a cool upbringing. You probably got pretty good at electronics anyway, I suppose. I really miss arcades sometimes. I've actually had dreams about being back in them. Sigh...but I know that it's a time and place thing that will never be again. It's cool they have those arcade bars now...but it's not the same thing.  :'(

I still remember watching some kid beat Rastan all the way through level 6, with a little crowd forming around him, the excitement mounting as he faced the last part.  I never could get past like level 4 so it was fun to see how it ended (those were the days back before youtube vids of every endgame out there.)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on December 11, 2016, 03:15:59 PM
I still remember watching some kid beat Rastan all the way through level 6, with a little crowd forming around him, the excitement mounting as he faced the last part.  I never could get past like level 4 so it was fun to see how it ended (those were the days back before youtube vids of every endgame out there.)

Yeah, it was always cool to see someone going for a new high score. Crowds would sometimes form. Those were the days!  :)

starrmtn001

Quote from: trostol on December 11, 2016, 02:23:22 AM
Hi, Trostol.

I found a Yuletide Greeting for you, if ya wanna use it. ;)

Dyna-X

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 11, 2016, 02:40:59 PM
Yes. There are a few others but MAME probably has the most development behind it. I discovered it in the late 90s. If you have a mac I'd suggest openemu though, which is a front end that collects all emulators into one program.

Thanks!
One of my all time favorites from the Golden Age of the Arcade is something I doubt they have found a way to emulate without getting a hold of the laserdisc.  Ever hear of M.A.C.H 3? In 1984 there were lines out the door to play this and it ate 2 tokens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5O-A2r1ACw