• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Facebook Gone Too Far? Tell! Tell!

Started by anagrammy, June 19, 2011, 08:20:41 PM

anagrammy

OK, I've had it.  It nags me in a little girl voice to give my adult friend an imaginary chicken for her "farm" (she lives in Chicago).  It tried to force me into a "Family Feud" yesterday by insisting I give my other friend 'points' for her side.  Sigh.

Today, I open my email and I get this teenage suicide-inducing message:

What do your friends on Facebook think about you?
I don't give a rat's ass but I have a sinking feeling about my simple desire to see photos of my grandchildren morphing into an electronic 2-year old constantly wanting attention.

Get this- the other day I pruned my friend list down to people I actually know.  A person that posted on a site I used to post on said she was hurt that I unfriended her and what did she ever do to me?  This is a complete stranger.

I feel like Alice who fell down a hole into a world where the normal rules don't apply... the people I ride the bus with don't get "hurt" if I don't speak to them.  So WTF?

Anagrammy

Usagi

I dunno... but I think you'll find your enjoyment of FB will increase significantly if you are only getting news feeds from people you give a half a damn about.  I find FB very useful.  But, then, I only have 21 "friends".

And you can easily make it so that you never see any requests from any of those dumb games.  I haven't seen one pass my screen in ages.

As for the complete stranger "hurt" because you unfriended her?  Screw her.  :P 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Usagi on June 19, 2011, 08:31:39 PM
I dunno... but I think you'll find your enjoyment of FB will increase significantly if you are only getting news feeds from people you give a half a damn about.  I find FB very useful.  But, then, I only have 21 "friends".
I'm with you on this. I only friend people I'd actually eat dinner with. I don't even include MY BROTHER on my friends list. You think some random Internet slug even stands a chance? I MIGHT have a total of 27 people on there. I'm not saying it's some profound honor to be on my friends list or anything. I'm just saying that unless my spittle has landed on your face at some point in the past as I was speaking to you, then forget about it. Evelyn and Curtis are the only exceptions I can think of at the moment.

As for the complete stranger "hurt" because you unfriended her?  Screw her.  :P
Well said.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

anagrammy

I woke up one morning and my Facebook page went from three friends to 43--it populated itself with a rash of people "wanting" to be my friend.  Turns out their contacts spoke to my contacts and found some mutual friends and automatically sent friend requests.  I told my damn exhusband we could **NOT** be friends.  AS IN:  Check this out--the famous FACEBOOK SONG:

http://youtu.be/S7MuwPlOiNQ

EvB

Love it Ana - I'm find there are a lot of FB parodies out there - this one has been my go-to:

http://youtu.be/8Br7lulRELI

anagrammy

Quote from: EvB on June 20, 2011, 02:30:00 PM
Love it Ana - I'm find there are a lot of FB parodies out there - this one has been my go-to:

http://youtu.be/8Br7lulRELI

That was HILARIOUS - long and I enjoyed it 100%, Thanks EvB!

JustOneFix

I can't wait for the day Facebook goes away. We thought Myspace was the hot thing, and you see where it's at now.

It annoys me to no end to see that god damn fuckin little blue & white "F icon" everywhere.  Standing at the urinal in the local bar a few nights ago there's a sign in front of me that says "Find us on Facebook and sure enough there was that son of a bitchin "F icon". I tore the faceboook portion of the sign off & tossed it in the unflushed urinal.

As long as FB is hyped as being cool and the inthing to do, people will keep doing it and spilling their life stories on it. 

FB has already gone too far from the start- they're in bed with the CIA.

Eddie Coyle

Facebook indirectly lead to downfall of Fort Rock...so it's got that going for them.

Never member of MySpace or Facebook. Not much of a joiner here...

anagrammy

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 20, 2011, 03:37:57 PM

Facebook indirectly lead to downfall of Fort Rock...so it's got that going for them.

Glad you are here with us, Eddie!

Ana

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: anagrammy on June 20, 2011, 04:25:44 PM
Glad you are here with us, Eddie!

Ana

Thanks,Ana and the fact that a hermit crab like me would join is a testament of how I(well dare I say,basically all of us) feel about our dearly departing C2C. It pisses me off to no end what Premiere has done.

aldousburbank

Heh, Facebook took down Ft. Rock AND Hasni Mubarak! 

anagrammy

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 20, 2011, 04:35:07 PM
    Thanks,Ana and the fact that a hermit crab like me would join is a testament of how I(well dare I say,basically all of us) feel about our dearly departing C2C. It pisses me off to no end what Premiere has done.

It started out that way, but now I'm here because I like the people, the topics and the management. You don't always get a homerun on all three...we have a nice slash of diversity here.  BTW - if you have netflix, check out John Carpenter's "They Live." 

Anagrammy

MV/Liberace!

Not much of a joiner here...
I have much respect for people who think like you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: anagrammy on June 20, 2011, 07:52:51 PM
It started out that way, but now I'm here because I like the people, the topics and the management. You don't always get a homerun on all three...we have a nice slash of diversity here.  BTW - if you have netflix, check out John Carpenter's "They Live." 

Anagrammy

As a particularly rotten 13 year old(redundant) I saw "They Live" in the theaters on Nov 10,1988. Loved it then, still watch it whenever it's airing, usually in the overnight hours.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Michael V. on June 20, 2011, 09:39:31 PM
I have much respect for people who think like you.

I'd love to take all the credit for it...but my winning personality ::)  generally precludes others from asking/wanting me to join. I think even my union was hesitant...

timpate

I know they sell your name and all that. I also know that the site has done this to me like 5 times since 04. I had about 25 or 30 friends that have been deleted from my friends list. Not sure why this happens? But a lot of my friends in my list have been deleted. I am a fan of twitter and all but its just not like facebook. Well myspace is a joke. It has been bought and sold twice. Anyhow I am with you.