• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

WORKSHOP for FAILED CALLERS (Is this you?)

Started by anagrammy, May 07, 2011, 08:54:01 PM

Saffy

QuoteOf course you could always call Art, he doesn't use screeners.... Oh wait!

I actually did call into the show some years ago and managed to talk to the Art Man himself. I was shocked as the phone rang perhaps twice before Art picked up. In fact, I was so caught off guard that I stammered out the first few words, promptly got annoyed with myself, which caused a few more stammered words ...

I don't remember who the guest was that night, but I remember the topic had something to do about UFOs and why they played cat and mouse games with humanity. I had my own pet theory on it, and Art was gracious enough to let me summarize it ... and then something hit me:

Art had NOT said his usual, "First time caller line, you're on the air. Hi." So I stopped in mid-sentence to ask, "Errr, am I on the air?"

And I wasn't. It was the damned commercial break! Since Art is always pounding it into the audience to "turn your radio off," I had done exactly that just before dialing and failed to realize the show was heading into a break.

I did get to talk to Art for a few minutes, though, so that was pretty nifty.

Quinn

Quote from: anagrammy on May 08, 2011, 09:04:23 PM
Let's see

angel
portal
somethings going on
exactly
absolutely
fantastic

Help me out here....

Ana
Can't forget "there are no coincidences." After all, it's so original!  ;)

BobGrau

"....I think it's a cycle" has always been my favourite :)

I'm fairly new here, so forgive me if I'm out of line saying this (I'm saying it anyway)

'pranking' noory is beneath you.
If someone could get on the show and address the issue of his incompetence, how much better it was under art etc. etc. great, I'd cheer them on all the way. But to draw up battleplans for calling in and yelling 'you suck' is not only pointless, but counterproductive - it puts you and anyone connected with this forum firmly in the 'haters' camp, rather than the 'constructive criticism' category.
Just sayin...

PS I do enjoy a bit of childish name-calling from time to time, that's why I have a YouTube channel  :P

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on June 01, 2011, 10:10:52 AM

I'm fairly new here, so forgive me if I'm out of line saying this (I'm saying it anyway)

If someone could get on the show and address the issue of his incompetence, how much better it was under art etc. etc. great, I'd cheer them on all the way. But to draw up battleplans for calling in and yelling 'you suck' is not only pointless, but counterproductive - it puts you and anyone connected with this forum firmly in the 'haters' camp, rather than the 'constructive criticism' category.
Just sayin...

PS I do enjoy a bit of childish name-calling from time to time, that's why I have a YouTube channel  :P

A common foible people have is to think because they have found something new, it is new to everyone. We have discussed our propensities for name calling and fruitless plans over time.

Yes we do get caught up in small fervors to prank, but so what? I do not think any of us here believes they are going to move a mountain. Especially the premier-clear channel-noory-poop fest mountain. But we continue this more for our own sanity than to change the noory. We are hopeful, not insipid.

We have youtube and we have this. We are not mean spirited. We are a normal bunch of people connecting in some electronic variation of a message board. We like that.

You are certainly welcome to join us, even to be critical of our thoughts. But do not think we are simple minded, short sighted, or name callers in our totality.

Well, Aldous may be... he's frikken crazy. And Ana is ok until her 5th glass of wine... then watch out.

And if ever you feel like someone here is going to be angry towards you just say "government sucks" and all will be well.

Eddie Coyle

I gave up on YouTube due to one nagging tendency that annoyed/infuriated me. It's this...I can be watching a video of Richard Thompson or John McGlaughlin, and in the comments section,invariably some asshole will have to invoke the names "Gaga" or "Bieber". Yeah, I know they suck,but why mention them when watching a BBC clip by a non pop artist from 1973? Boggles the mind.

On the subject of calling the show...I've never felt an urge to call C2C no matter who the host was,because it's not a "caller driven" format,IMO. In fact most of the callers are momentum killers who drag the show down, especially nowadays.

anagrammy

Quote from: Quinn on June 01, 2011, 03:57:04 AM
Can't forget "there are no coincidences." After all, it's so original!  ;)

Watching the Star Gate Universe series the characters keep saying, "Everything happens for a reason" which has inexplicably given me a queasy feeling.  I finally fingured out why--It's a goddamned Nooryism.  I wonder if I am going to be ruined for the whole list...people will be talking to me and they will say, "Absolutely!" and I will bust out laughing...no,no, I will respond, "Spectacular?  Exactly? Something's going on?" and the men in the white coats will take me away....  then I wake up.

Anagrammy

anagrammy

Quote from: onan on June 01, 2011, 01:46:32 PM

A common foible people have is to think because they have found something new, it is new to everyone. We have discussed our propensities for name calling and fruitless plans over time.

Yes we do get caught up in small fervors to prank, but so what? I do not think any of us here believes they are going to move a mountain. Especially the premier-clear channel-noory-poop fest mountain. But we continue this more for our own sanity than to change the noory. We are hopeful, not insipid.

We have youtube and we have this. We are not mean spirited. We are a normal bunch of people connecting in some electronic variation of a message board. We like that.

You are certainly welcome to join us, even to be critical of our thoughts. But do not think we are simple minded, short sighted, or name callers in our totality.

Well, Aldous may be... he's frikken crazy. And Ana is ok until her 5th glass of wine... then watch out.

And if ever you feel like someone here is going to be angry towards you just say "government sucks" and all will be well.

Onan, what do you think nine pregnancies does to the kidneys?  It's true I look remarkably fit for a marathon reproducer, but I'd love to be able to have even TWO glasses of wine.  My kidneys are 92 years old, so I drink my one glass and then just dance with it.

No alcohol to justify my rants, sorry.... just testy when tired, I should wear a t-shirt or at least get the mug.

Anagrammy

anagrammy

Back to failed callers.  On another forum one of our posters just up and decided one night to call in and BOOM there she was on the air--like 30 seconds later--I kid you not. 

It was very revealing-- I myself have noticed the dwindling of diversity among the callers, the swing being toward the Southern states for some reason.  Maybe it's too hot to sleep.

Better stop before I say something unPC

Anagrammy

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on June 01, 2011, 01:46:32 PM

I didn't mean to suggest the 'regulars' here are simple-minded, if I thought that I wouldn't have joined. I think on another thread I used the phrase 'funny but thoughtful' or something like that. I stand by that.
But I also stand by my post above, cos things like that need to be said sometimes, lest we forget.

PS I'm quite aware that a lot of ground has already been gone over, which is why I read every damn page of that Art Bell Quits thread, and am currently going through the Ian Punnett thread before I chime in on that one. lol god help me.

BobGrau

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 01, 2011, 02:35:27 PM
    I gave up on YouTube due to one nagging tendency that annoyed/infuriated me. It's this...I can be watching a video of Richard Thompson or John McGlaughlin, and in the comments section,invariably some asshole will have to invoke the names "Gaga" or "Bieber".  Yeah, I know they suck,but why mention them when watching a BBC clip by a non pop artist from 1973? Boggles the mind.

On the subject of calling the show...I've never felt an urge to call C2C no matter who the host was,because it's not a "caller driven" format,IMO. In fact most of the callers are momentum killers who drag the show down, especially nowadays.

who?  8)

EvB

Quote from: BobGrau on June 01, 2011, 07:07:14 PM
I read every damn page of that Art Bell Quits thread, and am currently going through the Ian Punnett thread before I chime in on that one. lol god help me.

You are gonna need it, Bob! 

Don't feel bad if you cave and decide to just dive in.  PARTICULARLY on the Punnett thread.  once upon a time, there was a general IP thread, a specifically "pro-Punnett" thread, and a "Punnett must die" thread (well, it wasn't THAT bad, but you catch my drift.)  If I understand correctly - they've all been merged, so even in a forum given to non sequiturs -  the older posts in that thread could really win a prize for "WTF?" 

Minni

Actually, by the time Noory's time arrived, I had long given up on trying to get thru because during Bell's era, I tried many times to get through but the lines were constantly busy.

I read some of the above posts re: cultural IQ, and as a newcomer, I now realize this forum is beyond my league.

For example:
Say someone has Alzheimers - would you consider him/her lacking in cultural IQ?
I consider dementia as one's potential/capacity cut off for reasons beyond control.

Similarly, some people's experiences (whether by dint of birth within xxx society, or limiting environment, or whatever) has, for reasons beyond his/her control, a limited repertoire. But there are many of you out there who just don't get it, simply cuz you've not experienced it.

BobGrau

QuoteI read some of the above posts re: cultural IQ

I've never heard the phrase 'cultural IQ' before, in this thread or elsewhere, but it's one I'll take note of in future.

I've often thought of calling in for open lines, they don't get many uk callers so I'd probably get on. Does anyone know if they charge for international calls?
I've got a story george would like as well, although I guess it's the screener I have to convince. I'd prefer to ask him about coast to coast and where he thinks it'll go in the future post 2012 etc but I doubt they'd let me. Even though I'd be really polite and reasonable.

I think Ian's the best host (these days) and I'd love to chat with him about comics, but he'd elbow me off the air for being a tongue-tied stammerer!

MV/Liberace!

i just want to remind everyone that my $100 offer still stands.  see page 1 for details.

I've called into the show three times in the past, all with the Nooron (this was before I had completely given up on C2C) each time was really easy to get through, didn't have to try more than a few minutes each time. Talked to a screener who asked me what I was going to say. All was pretty simple and straight forward. I have to imagine it'd be quite easy to get on and prank the show. The great thing is if you had teams of people working the show one night, so that way even if they kept hitting you with the delay inevitably with the show continually getting chopped up and callers disappearing the Nooron would have to admit something is up.

And the notion of a mole is stupid. Of course reps of C2C are here. This is the biggest C2C board on the net. Who cares if there is moles here? They can't do anything to us and it's not like they can make C2C any worse. Also with how competently C2C is produced, do you honestly think they would be able to prevent a well-manufactured prank?

beachcomber

Cultural IQ - May 8, Anagrammyism:
We know that Noory is uneducated and lacking in cultural IQ.  Why not ask questions which bring that out?  If he is in charge of the kill switch, he won't even get it.

I'd have to say Noory interprets anything that doesn't fit the script that he promotes so arduously as detrimental to The Cause - as can be seen every time he caps off some caller's remarks with his own idea. He's trying to interview himself it seems. He never asks questions - he only incredulously repeats what the caller said. This implies disbelief rather than the possibility that there is something he doesn't know already.
Wait, he does ask "Why?" a lot.
The other night -
"Why are people facinated by the Pyramids?"

...The obvious answer (because they're one of the 7 Wonders of the World) even GN has to get, but I had the idea that this question was asked in the spirit of, subconsciously,
"Why are people interested in ancient artifacts of unknown origin when they could be talking about subjects I liked when I was ten years old?"

It's said that whatever you hide from others you will also hide from yourself, and whatever you hide from yourself can control you without your being aware of it.

How a prank caller could contribute to Open Lines without bursting out laughing is the thing.
Quote from: BobGrau on June 14, 2011, 05:49:38 PM
I've never heard the phrase 'cultural IQ' before, in this thread or elsewhere, but it's one I'll take note of in future.

I've often thought of calling in for open lines, they don't get many uk callers so I'd probably get on. Does anyone know if they charge for international calls?

b_dubb

international calls / callers - use Skype.  it's free

anagrammy

Quote from: Minni on June 14, 2011, 02:51:24 PM
Actually, by the time Noory's time arrived, I had long given up on trying to get thru because during Bell's era, I tried many times to get through but the lines were constantly busy.

I read some of the above posts re: cultural IQ, and as a newcomer, I now realize this forum is beyond my league.

For example:
Say someone has Alzheimers - would you consider him/her lacking in cultural IQ?
I consider dementia as one's potential/capacity cut off for reasons beyond control.

Similarly, some people's experiences (whether by dint of birth within xxx society, or limiting environment, or whatever) has, for reasons beyond his/her control, a limited repertoire. But there are many of you out there who just don't get it, simply cuz you've not experienced it.

Minni, your post introduces a good question, is there a difference between cultural IQ and cultural literacy, as in "The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy."  I say yes, because cultural IQ would suggest innate ability to notice cultural morays, gestures, in-jokes, etc.  Cultural literacy would just be the exposure you gained in whatever culture it is. 

I would consider myself culturally literate in America but not in any other country.  Even if the language were translated, I would not get their jokes.  If you said to me, "It was a Beijing weather forecast," I would understand immediately that this meant someone was implying they could control the weather because the stakes were high on getting you to come.  That's an American in-joke but only for those who follow the news and remember the Olympics.   If you were in China, however, even if translated, a Chinese person would not necessarily get the meaning the same way an American would.  They might think it was a compliment.

My conclusion about George is that he's not demented, but ill-informed.  He does not have the wide body of deep knowledge a person his age should have about American life.  He didn't consume newspapers his whole life, is not well-read, never makes a reference to how an existential question was treated in classic literature or ancient Greece,  and specifically offers no information or insight that would lead you to believe his story of personal interest in the paranormal/astronomy, especially at such an early age.  This type of interest produces a curious person, maybe scientist, an investigator, an astronomer, even an English major for someone who plans to write about the paranormal.  It does not produce a dentist. 

High IQ people are curious.  You know how I know George is not a curious person (hence a low IQ person)?  He does not know the next logical question when conversing with an interesting guess.  Meaning he has never followed an internal line of inquiry to a satisfactory conclusion.  And, sorry, "There are no coincidences" and "everything happens for a reason" are not satisfactory conclusions to the rational mind.

Lack of intellectual gifts is overcome every day by people with talent.  Talent and perseverance, in my opinion, outrun basic high IQ every day in front of our eyes.  We see it especially in politicians.  Many if not most high IQ people are not good with communication or working with other people.  They are socially challenged. 

So you end up with a conclusion that being a good host is like preparing Indian cuisine--it's a rare blend of spices and if one is missing, or there's too much of another, it bombs.  It's fun to conjecture, and it's anybody's guess, but we here at CoastGab all agree on one thing:

Art had the IT factor and George Noory sucks.

Anagrammy

PS.  No, you fit just fine.  This forum is just a bunch of looney and semi-looney insomniac smart-alecks who can't let go.  We make each other laugh, that's all.

seven7

Anagrammy, you do have a way with words. I read almost every post here at Coastgab, and yours are always among the best.

BobGrau

Quote from: seven7 on July 31, 2011, 12:32:56 PM
Anagrammy, you do have a way with words. I read almost every post here at Coastgab, and yours are always among the best.

I doubt I'm alone in seconding this.

I've occasionally been accused of having a high IQ - I try to point out the difference between intelligence and imagination. Intelligence is 'what you know' and imagination is 'what you do with it'.
I suspect curiousity comes more from imagination.

QuoteSo you end up with a conclusion that being a good host is like preparing Indian cuisine--it's a rare blend of spices and if one is missing, or there's too much of another, it bombs.

you missed a tumeric joke here?

anagrammy

Just sayin...

Bob, Bob, nothing is beneath us.  We are the haters, the bottom-crawlers, the infidel apostates of Coast.  Haven't you seen the pages on pages of adolescent photoshoppery?  We are the people creeping through the radio dial when normal people are asleep.

Anagrammy

anagrammy

Thanks for the kind words, boys.  My observations on IQ and curiosity are recollections of my own childhood and teaching my own nine children to read as preschoolers.  I just love seeing how their little brains worked to figure things out. 

Anagrammy

Art

Try to pose as a transgendered woman on ecstasy, recite your strange prophetic dreams, and be as boring as possible.    I'm just workshoppin' here.

BobGrau

Quote from: Art on August 01, 2011, 03:31:39 PM
Try to pose as a transgendered woman on ecstasy, recite your strange prophetic dreams, and be as boring as possible.    I'm just workshoppin' here.

ah, so you've read my blog, then.

DanDan

What we do is steal a male dog from a trailer park and a female one from a rich gynecologist's house. We mate them and raise the one surviving puppy with as much love and compassion as you would a child or cat. We lay newspapers on the backyard porch and comb the puppy's hair daily while it's sitting on the Verizon full-page ad on the Sunday NY Times page 15. The fallen hair will create strange symbols when connected with "rule the air," so we translate them and find a fucking map to the center of Nebraska. We all pile in the family school bus and drive down that dark road until we see an orb the size of a single moose eye shine in the light of our headlights.

We all repeat this story word for fucking word to the screener and we win. COAST GAB PENIS DOT COM

Art

DanDan has all the good ideas.  Yours or any other blog ever, Bob.

You can also get on the show by being an idiot with a southern accent who saw a shiny thing in the sky.

DanDan

Well it seems like there is a 30 second delay. I'm on right now.

HOLY FUCK, I WAS ON AIR. I fucked up so bad and didn't have any idea what I was saying, but did you guys hear "coastgab.com?" I was in the middle of talking and didn't know if it came on.

Scully

Congratulations, DanDan.

I lOVED that you asked the guest to talk about colonization on Mars.

C2C had lured us in with the Mars topic, even though most of the discussion was about the economy and methanol fuel. I was gritting my teeth till I heard your magic words.  You did good!  ;D

Morgus

Quote from: DanDan on August 02, 2011, 02:12:28 AM
Well it seems like there is a 30 second delay. I'm on right now.

HOLY FUCK, I WAS ON AIR. I fucked up so bad and didn't have any idea what I was saying, but did you guys hear "coastgab.com?" I was in the middle of talking and didn't know if it came on.

I must have missed it.
I bet they edit the mention out for the replay though.
noory only allows his noory-loving sites get free onair shoutouts.  :o