• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Zircon on September 14, 2012, 02:35:53 PM
Most women do not want to recount, go on public record and bring on ridicule and insults to themselves. The woman wasn't a "beauty" at the time she brought her claims forward and she was reminded of that by the media (like, who would want to screw you?).

that's where the media were a bunch of shit-bags when that was going down.  the same leftist "feminist" assholes who spent a generation telling us "no means no" turned their back on her because she accused the wrong guy.  the media committed this offense in the worst possible way, according to their own rules, by citing her appearance. 

maybe she told the truth... maybe not. we'll never know.  however, i DO know she wouldn't have been treated that way if she'd come forward to accuse gingrich.

and people can't understand why the conservative perspective offered by fox news was a success?

analog kid

Quote from: MV on September 14, 2012, 02:32:25 PM

dude... it's not like that takes much effort.

i wouldn't say obama is the better man for the job, but i'm baffled as to how he's being attacked for his handling of this embassy situation.  i think it's nuts to say we need to blow the fuck out of everything because a few embassies were attacked by uneducated, islamic fundamentalist idiots who pretty much know nothing but what they're told to know and what they're told to be offended by. 

who do we attack?  the governments where our embassies are being attacked?  the people themselves?  yeah, that'll de-escalate things.  then again, there are a lot of people out there who don't WANT a de-escalation.  they want full-on war because they hate the islamic world.  it's not hard for me to see why a westerner would hate the islamic world, but that's what it boils down to.

not everything should be used as an opportunity to attack the president, people.  not everything is a call to war.  instead, i think we should close the embassies where these attacks are happening, remove the american government's presence there, and call it a day.  holy FUCK it would be a tragedy if we can't have embassies in shit holes like yemen, tunisia, and libya.

Agree, especially those batshit crazy fundamentalists.

Zircon

I'm really glad you cleared that up for me coaster. I had been wondering ... I can't be right all the time - boorring! And actually we're all victims as we're getting fucked all the time by the government. Talk about a class action suit ... whew!

coaster

Quote from: Zircon on September 14, 2012, 04:24:49 PM
I'm really glad you cleared that up for me coaster. I had been wondering ... I can't be right all the time - boorring! And actually we're all victims as we're getting fucked all the time by the government. Talk about a class action suit ... whew!
You talk more than anyone, and I don't think you have ever been right.. Nothing but a bunch of noise.
edit-that was a bit harsh. my apologies.

Quote from: MV on September 14, 2012, 02:32:25 PM
... i think it's nuts to say we need to blow the fuck out of everything because a few embassies were attacked by uneducated, islamic fundamentalist idiots who pretty much know nothing but what they're told to know and what they're told to be offended by. 

Who is saying that? 

The only embassy that was attacked by people that even might have been under the direction of people in control of these governments was Egypt and maybe Sudan.  Our allies Yemen hasn't been toppled by al-Qaeda yet.  The people in Libya are still pretending they are our friends (and maybe they will turn out to be) - it wasn't them or their allies.  The new Tunisiam government is on friendly terms with us.

There is appropriate use of force, and times when things need to cool down.  This is a time for diplomacy.

It's also a time for voting citizens to really take a look at what has been going on in the region, determine whether the president has been working in our best interests and doing a good job of it in general, and examine his actions over the past couple of days. 

For example this came on the first anniversary of 9/11 since the 'Arab Spring'.  Were precautions taken?  Was there any intel sugesting something like this might happen?  If so, did the President act to secure the embassies and personnel?  From here the answers to those question do not reflect well on Obama.

Zircon

Quote from: coaster on September 14, 2012, 04:41:49 PM
You talk more than anyone, and I don't think you have ever been right.. Nothing but a bunch of noise.
edit-that was a bit harsh. my apologies.
Coaster, once out of the can there ain't no puttin' it back. So I am never right and full of noise. Well, I guess if I'm talking to a rock that might be the case. He!He! Don't fret.

HAL 9000

Quote from: MV on September 14, 2012, 02:15:01 PM...because you aren't universally lauded and praised for every air-biscuit you release means there's a double standard?

If nothing else, I learned a new word today:

air biscuit

noun  A fart or guff that is so potent as to have a tangible quality. A butt burp that has a physical presence, and as such have space made for it.

Air biscuits may be ‘launched’, ‘dropped’, ‘pushed out’, ‘chucked’ etc.

‘Fucking hell, I could pluck that right out the air and dip it my tea’
    ‘I hate to tell you this, but I’ve just launched an air biscuit’

McPhallus

Quote from: coaster on September 14, 2012, 02:38:16 PM
Anyone who's political opinions are not  agreed upon plays the victim. Like their opinions are somehow more justified than others. I've seen a few people here get really defensive when someone says they are wrong. Its nothing new though. this crap makes the world go 'round.
You are all wrong by the way.

Reminds me of that essay, "The Superior Virtue of the Oppressed."

Quote from: analog kid on September 13, 2012, 01:45:08 AM
Romney is being almost universally lambasted for his comment, that politicized the event while the people were dying, and he was smirking the whole time. Might I suggest a broader range of news sources?

We don't have as many campaign ads on TV here in Calif as other places do, but they've been running one with President Clinton a lot since the Convention.  George W Bush and Barrack H Obama have been such lousy presidents, they must have internal polls telling them people are looking fondly back on Ol' Bill, the Lyin' King.  He was certainly fortunate, serving his terms in a period of peace and prosperity.

Anyway, there he was, talking about the good times we had in the '90s - trying to make the connection somehow between that and Obama's policies.  After reading your post I couldn't help but notice that Great Big Smirk on his face the whole time.  Not sure what to make of it.

coaster

Quote from: Zircon on September 14, 2012, 07:27:51 PM
Coaster, once out of the can there ain't no puttin' it back. So I am never right and full of noise. Well, I guess if I'm talking to a rock that might be the case. He!He! Don't fret.
True, but I regretted saying it, so thats something I guess. I was having a bad day, and you just rubbed me the wrong way, so I went after you. We may not see eye to eye, but I've got to respect someone who actually makes their voice heard. I'm not an asshole, I respect that you at least try.
even though youre wrong. lol...  ::) jk. You're ok Zircon.

Sardondi

No! NO! What is this?! Guys apologizing to each other for flaring tempers?! This can't be! It will be the end of Blood Posting! Then where would we get our entertainment, huh? Yeah, bet you hadn't thought about that, had you? How can you be so selfish? Quick, somebody call somebody else a retarded asshole...

coaster

Quote from: Sardondi on September 14, 2012, 11:22:51 PM
No! NO! What is this?! Guys apologizing to each other for flaring tempers?! This can't be! It will be the end of Blood Posting! Then where would we get our entertainment, huh? Yeah, bet you hadn't thought about that, had you? How can you be so selfish? Quick, somebody call somebody else a retarded asshole...

I hate your wit asshole.
edit-retard.

ziznak

LOL "butt-burp"
quick somebody make up a good one for queaf!!
LADY FARTS ON LIVE WORKOUT TAPING! LOL

b_dubb

maybe we should rename the POLITICS collection Zircon's Corner.  all the posts are belong to him

stevesh

From an article about some Muslim scholar calling on the UN to restrict speech:

“The thing that makes this particularly difficult for the United States is that … we treat what most of us would refer to as hate speech as constitutionally protected speech and Americans don’t appreciate give a fat rat's ass, I think, how unusual this position seems in the rest of the world,” Lawrence Rosenthal, a professor at Chapman University’s School of Law in Orange, California, told the Associated Press.

Fixed that for him.

Quote from: stevesh on September 20, 2012, 03:38:33 AM
From an article about some Muslim scholar calling on the UN to restrict speech:

“The thing that makes this particularly difficult for the United States is that … we treat what most of us would refer to as hate speech as constitutionally protected speech and Americans don’t appreciate give a fat rat's ass, I think, how unusual this position seems in the rest of the world,” Lawrence Rosenthal, a professor at Chapman University’s School of Law in Orange, California, told the Associated Press.

Fixed that for him.

One would think someone named Rosenthal would be a bit less 'balanced' and 'nuanced' on issues of freedom and differences between the West and 'the rest of the world', especialy the Muslims.  Apparently Left-wing PC-ism trumps everything else.

This is the type of person encouraging our court system to look to other cultures and the laws of other countries when handing down rulings here.  Judicial appointments:  just one more reason to not vote for Obama.

Quote from: Sardondi on September 11, 2012, 03:07:23 AM
Since the election of 2008 it has been beyond dispute that the traditional media had and has a significant bias in favor of the Democrats in general and Obama in particular. We have yet to find the limit beyond which the media will not go in its willingness to put a finger on the scales of political news to help Obama or hurt is opponents. Because of this, skepticism is and should be the initial reaction to any political story coming from the traditional media.

This includes the polls, although the legitimate polls at least include enough sampling detail that an inherent bias can be detected if you work enough to find the anomaly. It is an old story on how polls can be manipulated so as to give a particular impression. The usual one is to sample more Democrats than Republicans. It doesn't even have to be intentional, it just works out that way for several different reasons (sampling taken from urban areas where voters tend to be Democrat; fewer Republicans at home during day; one theory is that a considerable number of Republicans/conservatives simply will not respond to pollsters [me for example]).

This is enough to skew polls past the point of reliability. Few polls can give an accurate picture of how the election will go until the last two days. Even then most polls miss the actual election results by a factor outside of their stated margin of error. If most of them can't get it right 48 hours before an election, why is anyone paying attention to them 60 days out? Meaningless.
[/m][/m][/m]

The polls are way off.  There is no chance the Phony Media is not doing everything they can to convince the weak and fickle that the winning side is going to be Obama, and that they are skewing the polls to do so.  After all who wants to vote with the losers.

I think Romney is ahead right now, probably the only thing keeping this from being a blowout is Obama's advantage in the Electoral College.  Well, that and Romney's 'playing-not-to-lose' campaign (and we know, or should know, how that usually turns out).

Add to that the return of the Bradley effect (which probably applies to all 'Progressive' candidates now), the advantage in funds, the energy (doorbell ringing, phone bank volunteering, driving people to the polls, talking to friends and relatives, being sure to vote) going into defeating Obama vs his sad sack supporters. 

The time to really look at the polls (other than for trends) is starting about 2 weeks out - the polls get much more honest as the pollsters need their reputations for the next time around.  No one looks back to the summer and fall months to determine the redibility of the pollsters, so they are free to lie.  For now.

Pragmier

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 20, 2012, 10:14:44 AM

The polls are way off.  There is no chance the Phony Media is not doing everything they can to convince the weak and fickle that the winning side is going to be Obama, and that they are skewing the polls to do so.  After all who wants to vote with the losers.

Not sure what specific polls since there's so many. But apparently Fox News didn't get the memo and mistakenly published biased polls which show Obama leading in 3 key states.

I agree though results this early and this close show the election can still go either way - especially If Romney performs well in the debates.

Zircon

Pragmier, the polls you refer to ...  I've never heard of these other than Fox. What is their track record? I'd be more inclined to believe a Rasmussen or Harris poll.

analog kid

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 20, 2012, 08:39:35 AM
This is the type of person encouraging our court system to look to other cultures and the laws of other countries when handing down rulings here.

Wish the right would find some concerns that aren't purely delusion.

Pragmier

Fox News sited Anderson Robbins Research & Shaw & Company Research polls. Rasmussen reports are a few days older and also give Obama the slightest of edges in these states (Fla, Va, Oh). I couldn't find the corresponding Harris polls.

Juan

I live on a barrier island off the coast of northeast Florida - population about 30,000.  In 2008, yards were covered with signs - both for state elections and the presidential election.  This year, I have not seen a single Obama sign, and I've seen only two Romney signs.  I have no idea what, if anything, this means, but the difference is dramatic.

Quote from: UFO Fill on September 20, 2012, 05:22:18 PM
... I have no idea what, if anything, this means, but the difference is dramatic.

Could it mean the Obama cult of personality delusion is over? 

With all the clues like this out there, it's hard for me to believe Obama is only going to have a slight dropoff in percentage points and in people going to the polls.  The delicious part of that party depending on the people that refuse to work or educate themselves is that they often don't bother voting.

Juan

Last night, I got a telephone call from a woman saying she was a volunteer with some organization conducting a poll.  She asked who I was supporting for president.  I said, "I'm supporting Obama because I don't want his jackbooted thugs coming after me." That said for effect only.

The effect received was unanticipated.  The woman sounded as though she had had an orgasm.  She was so happy to find an Obama supporter, she was laughing and babbling.  She obviously didn't even hear the jackbooted thug comment.  She spent several minutes trying to talk me into volunteering to help at voter registration drives.

The call was local.  I take that as another anecdotal clue that Obama does not have a lot of support here.

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on September 21, 2012, 04:40:03 AM...The woman sounded as though she had had an orgasm.  She was so happy to find an Obama supporter, she was laughing and babbling.  She obviously didn't even hear the jackbooted thug comment.  She spent several minutes trying to talk me into volunteering to help at voter registration drives....

That's interesting. And also very instructive.

onan

Quote from: UFO Fill on September 21, 2012, 04:40:03 AM
Last night, I got a telephone call from a woman saying she was a volunteer with some organization conducting a poll.  She asked who I was supporting for president.  I said, "I'm supporting Obama because I don't want his jackbooted thugs coming after me." That said for effect only.

The effect received was unanticipated.  The woman sounded as though she had had an orgasm.  She was so happy to find an Obama supporter, she was laughing and babbling.  She obviously didn't even hear the jackbooted thug comment.  She spent several minutes trying to talk me into volunteering to help at voter registration drives.

The call was local.  I take that as another anecdotal clue that Obama does not have a lot of support here.

Two times in my life I have worked in some form of telemarketing. First time I was in my mid twenties and got a part time job calling people that signed up to be called. The second was while I was in college a second time in my 40's. I was calling people that wanted to be included in a study for hypertension. They too had asked to be called.

Both of those jobs were miserable. Amazingly, even though those people could often be so much more than rude. When I did get friendly people on the line I too was almost orgasmic. So I can't say the anecdote about Obama's popularity has much to do with the vehemence toward an unwanted, unknown caller.

Juan

I, too, once worked as a telephone solicitor while in school.  Rude people seem to be the norm.

When I answer these people, I try to be firm but otherwise neutral.  Not rude, but not nice either.  I got the impression that her excitement was for Obama, not for my lack of rudeness.  But I could be wrong.

Sardondi

*brief thread juke*  I guess like most people I'm ambiguous about solicitation calls. Because of how the DNC list is now useless since there are so many exceptions and how boiler rooms just ignore the law anyway, I'm irritated that I get about 5x-10x more solicitation calls than calls from people I know. It grates on me to think how beginning at 6:00pm Mrs. Sardondi and I can count on receiving an average of 4 ad/solicitation calls per night. These are intrusions. We didn't ask for them, don't want them. Usually within 1-2 seconds of the spiel beginning I can tell what it is and interrupt with a"No, thank you" and a hangup. Often there's the telltale dead air on the other end when I answer, and I just hang up before the solicitor can even connect.

But then I often feel guilty, because I feel sorry for telemarketers, thinking of how stressful their jobs are.

But that is not my doing. The bottom line is that the calls are an imposition, an aggressive act done without my permission, against my wishes. So ultimately I feel no remorse about protecting the last tiny sliver of privacy and control I have in my life. Sorry, telemarketers, I know your job sucks, but the remedy is not to drain my lifeforce, like some telephone vampire.

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on September 21, 2012, 09:10:46 AM
*brief thread juke*  I guess like most people I'm ambiguous about solicitation calls. Because of how the DNC list is now useless since there are so many exceptions and how boiler rooms just ignore the law anyway, I'm irritated that I get about 5x-10x more solicitation calls than calls from people I know. It grates on me to think how beginning at 6:00pm Mrs. Sardondi and I can count on receiving an average of 4 ad/solicitation calls per night. These are intrusions. We didn't ask for them, don't want them. Usually within 1-2 seconds of the spiel beginning I can tell what it is and interrupt with a"No, thank you" and a hangup. Often there's the telltale dead air on the other end when I answer, and I just hang up before the solicitor can even connect.

But then I often feel guilty, because I feel sorry for telemarketers, thinking of how stressful their jobs are.

But that is not my doing. The bottom line is that the calls are an imposition, an aggressive act done without my permission, against my wishes. So ultimately I feel no remorse about protecting the last tiny sliver of privacy and control I have in my life. Sorry, telemarketers, I know your job sucks, but the remedy is not to drain my lifeforce, like some telephone vampire.

Yeah, I need to renew my anti telemarketing internet thingy.

Yesterday I got one telemarketer and another was trying to call through. I am not rude (at least from my perspective), I quickly ask to be removed from their call list. And yes I said the same thing to the DNC when they called. Most times the telemarketer simply follows my request and the phone call ends. Sometimes it is a bit more brisk but I never get snotty I just ask again to be taken off their list.

Back to who will vote for whom... I think Obama is gonna win. Then again I was surprised Kerry didn't in 04.

Hey, the Grand Ayatollah Vahid Khorasani in Iran just announced Jesus was an illegitimate child, criticized the Pope, and claimed the Bible has been 'altered'. 

So I wouldn't venture outside for the next few weeks as Catholics and other Christians storm the embassies of Arab and Muslim nations, burn inner city liquor stores and magazine stands, and go on a general uncontrolled rampage.  I expect the rioting frenzy to last for several weeks, possibly until the next outrage.