• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ItsOver on March 12, 2013, 01:29:50 PM

I thought all of Jorch's "books" were fake?

i think his books probably are fake, meaning i don't think noory actually sat down and wrote any of them.  if he did, they must have been heavily edited by someone with a post junior high education.  there has always been a co-author of anything he's put out, hasn't there?  based on his childlike inability to send out coherent emails and his inability to grasp or analyze subjects on his own, no fuckin' way "his" books were written by him.

ItsOver

I've always thought it would be funny if Jorch were to interview himself about one of his supposed books.  I'm sure he'd appear as clueless about the content of the book as he does with any other.   

Quote from: FortRock on March 12, 2013, 11:44:14 AM
OH AND ONE OTHER THING:
The difference between Trekkie and Trekker, if your a Trekkie you became a fan of Star Trek during the original run of Star Trek: The Old Series (Captain Kirk) or the reruns in the 1970's. Trekkers joined the Fan Community during the run of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Captain Picard).

What if I became a fan of the original series during the next generation run? What am I? WHAT AM I FORT ROCK?

ChewMouse

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 13, 2013, 06:15:23 PM
What if I became a fan of the original series during the next generation run? What am I? WHAT AM I FORT ROCK?

Shh, shh, it's just a little existential crisis here.

I believe you're bi-trekial, but better wait for Fort Rock's final diagnosis.

FortRock

TO GUILDNAVIGATOR:
You are in the Fan Community called a Neo-Trekkie!

b_dubb

hey guildnav good to see you

Falkie2013

Quote from: Usagi on March 12, 2013, 12:28:06 PM
So, when is somebody going to try to put out a fake Jorch Noory book?  Oh, wait... that's right... he sucks.

How could one tell the difference between a fake Snoory book and the self serving/self promoting ones he's already put out ?

Falkie2013

Quote from: ChewMouse on March 13, 2013, 07:01:57 PM
Shh, shh, it's just a little existential crisis here.

I believe you're bi-trekial, but better wait for Fort Rock's final diagnosis.

Hmm, could there by a family resemblance between Fort Rock and Yarnek ?

I think so.

[attachment deleted by admin]

onan

Quote from: Falkie2013 on March 15, 2013, 12:30:46 AM
How could one tell the difference between a fake Snoory book and the self serving/self promoting ones he's already put out ?
The fake one is much easier to read and more entertaining.

beyondbeleef

I have absolutely got to say, before I listened to Art I thought that a lot of people on this board were maybe overstating it a bit. Overegging the pudding, clinging a little to the past  bit much.

But after putting on the Art Bell stream and having it in my life, I completely agree. Art was such a great host. An engaged listener, someone who wasn't afraid to ask questions and cast doubt. He also had an uncanny ear for open lines and could hang up on the timewasters and crazies.

I would happily listen to Art take on any of the guests that Noory, Wells and even sometimes Knapp give free passes to. He too had his favourites but I think he brought a healthy dose of cynicism to the show that made it fun. It was entertainment that could sometimes be informative, but he always knew how to liven things up. Plus, he had a great dry sense of humour and that spooky smoker's voice that made everything he said sound a bit more believable.

I also really respect Art for what he has said many times--that he subscribes to the facts. This comes through in his shows and I want to sit up and cheer whenever he challenges some nutjob on their pet moneymaking topic.

The callers also, despite open lines, sounded like a better grade of person!

Listening to some shows closer to The End he does indeed sound tired or disillusioned with the show. the 2006 predictions show for one, but I suppose he felt a need to humour the people calling in and predicting imminent destruction of everything and Bush impeachment.

He also didn't politicise so so much, like Wells or sometimes Noory does in ranting about big pharma or The Evil Left. I really like that.

I salute you Art Bell, and I understand that maybe too much time has passed for you to return. Enjoy your money, enjoy your life. As long as the fine art stream continues, you will live on.  :'(

lonevoice

Quote from: beyondbeleef on March 16, 2013, 09:51:00 PM

But after putting on the Art Bell stream and having it in my life, I completely agree. Art was such a great host.
Welcome to the light.   There is only one Art Bell, and those who have been privileged to enjoy his unique talents can accept no substitutes.   

As I've learned since joining coastgab not all that long ago, there are many here, like myself, who don't actually listen to C2C anymore and haven't for years.   I think we continue posting our thoughts, rants, whimsies and whatnots on this site as a way of consoling ourselves with the company of the like-minded.  At least that's so for me.   Years of dedicated listening to Art Bell in his prime leaves a bit of a hole in the soul that just never seems to quite go away. 

The fine art stream is one of the best things ever.   

dan7800

Once in a while I really do try to listen to C2C live. However, it is nearly impossible. Too many bad guests, Noory is a buffoon and even dumber callers.

analog kid

Art has had a life-long passion for radio, his lifetime of being a HAM operator honed his broadcasting skills and he has the ability to make guests look great, no matter who they are. Hard shoes to fill for anyone, but it gets really bad when you don't even have much of an interest in it, like some hosts we know.

McPhallus

Quote from: lonevoice on March 17, 2013, 01:13:08 PM
Welcome to the light.   There is only one Art Bell, and those who have been privileged to enjoy his unique talents can accept no substitutes.   

I'm sure there's someone out there who'd be an acceptable successor. Many people probably thought back in the 80s that there would never be another Long John Nebel.  The problem with radio these days is that it draws people with huge egos who are willing to sell out in order to be famous.  It's too bad Art didn't create some sort of succession plan to ensure the legacy of the show, but that was his choice.

Quote from: McPhallus on March 18, 2013, 04:24:41 PM

I'm sure there's someone out there who'd be an acceptable successor...

Maybe.  Still waiting for an acceptable successor to Johnny Carson..

analog kid

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 18, 2013, 08:32:38 PM

Maybe.  Still waiting for an acceptable successor to Johnny Carson..

You really nailed it there, man. Not only was he a gifted and generous interviewer like Art, but Leno is to Carson as Noory is to Bell.

RedMichael

Carson was a master at ad-libbing. Ie: He could think for himself and on his feet. He could sense what the audience wanted and could pull that out of a guest too.

Leno just goes threw the motions and if you want to see sad, watch Leno in a situation where he has to react and not go by the cue cards.

Great comparison.

It is also a great example of two different interview types. No one can beat Knapp at being prepared and researched, his interviews are great. But Bell only needed to know a little bit (he often knew a lot more) and he could explore the topic with the audience and it was almost as if the questions we had popped into his head at the same time. Again, an incredible host. Two different styles.

Bell, sir, if you are out there, please hire on Knapp. Also, don't feel obligated to do 7 shows a week. Its not worth the risk of spreading the material/guests/hosts to thin.

New proof has arisen that Art may return to radio.  Look at this photo of a reply he posted to a message to him from the person who runs that 'People Who Miss Art Bell' page on Facebook.  He says there is hope that he will return and he can't talk about it until a deal is done.  This is the most hopeful I've felt that he'll return to radio in some time. 

lonevoice

Quote from: analog kid on March 18, 2013, 09:07:54 PM
You really nailed it there, man. Not only was he a gifted and generous interviewer like Art, but Leno is to Carson as Noory is to Bell.
Johnny Carson was to late night TV what Art Bell was to late night talk radio.   What a perfect analogy, Paper*Boy.   And I also agree with you, analog kid, that the two men share[d] a gift for being gracious and generous interviewers.   They both had an innate curiosity about what made people tick, and an uncanny ability to facilitate the revelation of almost anyone's better qualities.  I've never really thought about it, but there are actually several personality-style similarities between Bell and the late Carson.

I adore[d] Johnny Carson in almost exactly the same way I adore Art Bell.  I still watch the DVDs of old Carson shows now and again. 

Yep, there will never be another Johnny Carson, and there will never be another Art Bell.  Lightning in a bottle, my friends.

lonevoice

Quote from: Unexplained Light on March 19, 2013, 10:55:46 AM
New proof has arisen that Art may return to radio.  Look at this photo of a reply he posted to a message to him from the person who runs that 'People Who Miss Art Bell' page on Facebook.  He says there is hope that he will return and he can't talk about it until a deal is done.  This is the most hopeful I've felt that he'll return to radio in some time. 

Thanks for bringing it here, Unexplained Light.    He's still not saying "no, not ever."   Good.

Quote from: analog kid on March 18, 2013, 03:55:28 PM
Art has had a life-long passion for radio, his lifetime of being a HAM operator honed his broadcasting skills and he has the ability to make guests look great, no matter who they are. Hard shoes to fill for anyone, but it gets really bad when you don't even have much of an interest in it, like some hosts we know.

Not only a passion, but Art has a profound gift as a radio host.  He became a huge, fascinating, even uplifting (somehow!) part of my life while he was at the helm of c2c for all those years.  No matter how bad my day went, it always ended on a good note thanks to him, and I know many, many thousands of others, lonely hearts if you will,… late-nighters, not-fit-inners, …. also found some sort of odd solace in his show.  He was like a voice in the dark who understood somehow where we were coming from.  Also, for me, he was sort of a barometer of coolness:  he seemed to have his finger on the pulse of all things that were most fascinating in life, the things that take you out of the mundanity that can otherwise submerge you.  It would be a shame if he was never able to host a radio show again, for one last stint before he really does get too old. 

Yes, I think we can presume from his reply that he is still entertaining the idea of hosting a radio show and, in fact, may even be in the middle of negotiating a deal that he cannot speak of.   :)

The General

Quote from: Unexplained Light on March 19, 2013, 10:55:46 AM

What date was this written on?  Do we know?
If it was before he announced 'not for now,' then it really isn't anything new.
If it was from today, or the last week or two, then it is.

This was posted to the FB page 'People Who Miss Art Bell' 3 hours ago, and the person who posted it is the person who runs that group and she/he indicated the reply had come from Art last night.  So this is about as recent as it gets. 

Here's the link to the post on the page, if it works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=479793428740583&set=a.177427915643804.51414.134567796596483&type=1&theater

Sardondi

To me the context of all the "get ready" posting AB did a couple of months ago was that he was in, or was about to enter, negotiation for a return. But I think it fell apart for whatever reason, which precipitated his "not now" post which closed out that brief interlude. So I think AB's current status is - there is nothing on the horizon, nothing on the stove, nothing pending, nada. Of course it could change. Just like each one of us who plays could win the lottery. But don't make life plans based on it happening. 

I'd like to think his reply to the leader of 'People Who Miss Art Bell' indicates he can't talk about it coz he's currently in negotiations for a deal.  Otherwise all he's doing is giving false hope, unless he plans to enter into negotiations for a deal in the future.  If the latter, then yeah we can all wait a long time before anything happens, if it does.  Ain't holding my breath but holding onto hope, yes.  Newly renewed hope.

FortRock

NOTICE THE PICTURE ART IS STILL USING:
Art is still using that "Ritualistically Posed Photo" of himself, the Broadcasting Chair, and the Infamous 4:02 Broadcasting Clock, just beyond his left shoulder. Scorpion Army Intelligence tells me that a deal is being negotiated as we speak and write here. Keep April 2, 2013 penciled on your calenders. The "Desert Of The Sea" is alive with Scorpion Army Squadrons, waiting for their General's Voice!

Eddie Coyle

Much ado about nothing. As usual.

onan

I am pretty tired of posts by a guy who knows a guy.
Ft.Rock... just shut up.
When Art has a show get back to me.

McPhallus

That dude needs to get a fucking life.  The little routine he does has long since grown stale, yet he continues the bullshit as if someone out there might believe that he has some "inside source."

Quote from: onan on March 19, 2013, 03:39:36 PM
I am pretty tired of posts by a guy who knows a guy.
Ft.Rock... just shut up.