• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Metron2267

Quote from: username on October 20, 2018, 01:13:16 PM
Like Ellgab right?

Nah, that was mostly me and Brig and a few others pumping it like a bellows before they decided I'd gotten them enough traffic and cuckshacked me. Same with Brig. And Brig played by ALL the rules and still got trashed.

Whatever though...shit happens and they want a closed forum with heavy moderation. Oh well... They have to expect to take some heat for using "folks" and then shacking them.

Cynical it is, just plain cynical.

:(

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 20, 2018, 03:46:07 PM
Not my safespace.  There's plenty of room for criticism over there just as there was over here.  I don't agree with everything Bart does but let's face facts, he was there when Lee decided to bail on all of us with no reasons whatsoever.  Lee owes everyone an explanation for his stunt.  He could have warned us and said, I gotta take Bellgab down for whatever reason but he didn't even give us that.  Just don't be surprised when he pulls something like that again.

>plenty of room for criticism
>get banned within an hour of questioning moderation

Oh, it's your safespace. I'm not surprised you and thirsty gravity keep going on about how daddy left. Keep ignoring those tweets. Your new BO is demonstrably a lying faggot who managed to wrangle, unsurprisingly, the most pliable retards of the lot. Bravo.

Metron2267

Quote from: whoozit on October 20, 2018, 04:27:40 PM
I’m seriously asking why he owes us anything for shutting down his forum when he felt like it?  It’s his, we are just users.  Edit:  Cue “That fucker owes us” memes

An advisory heads up would have been nice, unless there was a potent reason not to...

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 05:35:20 PM
Nah, that was mostly me and Brig and a few others pumping it like a bellows before they decided I'd gotten them enough traffic and cuckshacked me. Same with Brig. And Brig played by ALL the rules and still got trashed.

Whatever though...shit happens and they want a closed forum with heavy moderation. Oh well... They have to expect to take some heat for using "folks" and then shacking them.

Cynical it is, just plain cynical.

:(

Don't worry, the fact that Heather's show, is doing better than Dave's, is where it hurts them the most. I think Dave, has exposed himself for what he truly is. Him posting here, is not a redeeming attribute. "His show," will still be dumpster fire.

Metron2267

Quote from: username on October 20, 2018, 05:43:31 PM
Don't worry, the fact that Heather's show, is doing better than Dave's, is where it hurts them the most. I think Dave, has exposed himself for what he truly is. Him posting here, is not a redeeming attribute. "His show," will still be dumpster fire.

I give him points for engaging here, there was no mandate that he do so. I think anyone who's attacked has a right to face their detractors and he has. I'm fine with leaving it there.

I don't have the numbers on his show vs. Heather's but I'd love to see the stream data if someone has that link.

Lots of choices to listen out there, lots:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/category/paranormal-81/

http://michaeldecon.com

(shameless plug cuz you earned it ;-)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 20, 2018, 05:38:53 PM
>plenty of room for criticism
>get banned within an hour of questioning moderation

Oh, it's your safespace. I'm not surprised you and thirsty gravity keep going on about how daddy left. Keep ignoring those tweets. Your new BO is demonstrably a lying faggot who managed to wrangle, unsurprisingly, the most pliable retards of the lot. Bravo.

+1

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 05:47:37 PM
I give him points for engaging here, there was no mandate that he do so. I think anyone who's attacked has a right to face their detractors and he has. I'm fine with leaving it there.

I don't have the numbers on his show vs. Heather's but I'd love to see the stream data if someone has that link.

Lots of choices to listen out there, lots:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/category/paranormal-81/

http://michaeldecon.com

(shameless plug cuz you earned it ;-)

Understood, I can see how you perceive that.

Metron2267

Thanks Mike, and it's fine if we differ too. Two sides to every coin and in this binary world of ours anything more complex is out of step with the NPC dialog.

;)

As a Christian libertarian indy I'm pretty well used to not getting my needs met nor having a seat at the captain's table.

What's cool is shows like yours that take a different vector and do so with no apologies or excuses. I have to wonder what MITD might have become if you'd been tabbed to host it.

And frankly I think a mistake Keef made was not to do a round robin audition with different hosts each night for a week or two and the gauge the listener numbers.

There are always choices, even with an HLW meltdown.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 06:09:40 PM
Thanks Mike, and it's fine if we differ too. Two sides to every coin and in this binary world of ours anything more complex is out of step with the NPC dialog.

;)

As a Christian libertarian indy I'm pretty well used to not getting my needs met nor having a seat at the captain's table.

What's cool is shows like yours that take a different vector and do so with no apologies or excuses. I have to wonder what MITD might have become if you'd been tabbed to host it.

And frankly I think a mistake Keef made was not to do a round robin audition with different hosts each night for a week or two and the gauge the listener numbers.

No problem, people can listen to anything they want. I'm just simply saying, I don't think many people here, will support his show. Not after all what has gone down. Maybe I'm wrong, but history has proven me correct, more so than I'm comfortable with.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 06:09:40 PM

;)

Yes, I haven’t listened in a long time but I gotta give it to this guy. He’s stuck it out here and stayed, stayed a proud Bellgabber. Despite not always agreeing with him, his sometimes atrocious grammar and spelling mistakes and his occasional bouts of Tourette’s I’ve had this thought myself recently and basically agree with your assessment here.

Metron2267

Quote from: username on October 20, 2018, 06:14:08 PM

No problem, people can listen to anything they want. I'm just simply saying, I don't think many people here, will support his show. Not after all what has gone down. Maybe I'm wrong, but history has proven me correct, more so than I'm comfortable with.

I completely agree, it was a hard reset both for MITD and Bellgab.

And the new crew have locked communication down as if it was a mil spec operation, which is just plain "odd"!

It also alienates a large audience swath. :(

Metron2267

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 20, 2018, 06:16:43 PM
Yes, I haven’t listened in a long time but I gotta give it to this guy. He’s stuck it out here and stayed, stayed a proud Bellgabber. Despite not always agreeing with him, his sometimes atrocious grammar and spelling mistakes and his occasional bouts of Tourette’s I’ve had this thought myself recently and basically agree with your assessment here.

Well that makes you a good egg!

But man, that was a major ass-kicking you put on him, have to say that much!

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 06:19:24 PM
I completely agree, it was a hard reset both for MITD and Bellgab.

And the new crew have locked communication down as if it was a mil spec operation, which is just plain "odd"!

It also alienates a large audience swath. :(

That's fine, they can stay where they wish. At the end of the day, they settled for a third rate cover band. Let those who want to suffer, suffer.

Metron2267

Quote from: username on October 20, 2018, 06:22:42 PM
That's fine, they can stay where they wish. At the end of the day, they settled for a third rate cover band. Let those who want to suffer, suffer.

It pains me some to agree with you but yeah, it sort of looks like they did.

I think the program would have soared with Ian, Knapp, or even Richard Syrett.

Dave has his real niche in true crime.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 06:28:47 PM
It pains me some to agree with you but yeah, it sort of looks like they did.

I think the program would have soared with Ian, Knapp, or even Richard Syrett.

Dave has his real niche in true crime.

I don't think any of those guys, want a pay cut, to play on a podcast network.

Dave should go back to hosting the way he did on Darkness radio, in my opinion.  It’s was a decent show. Instead Schrader has opted to turn his live podcast into on of the many other paranormal shows that just right straight to the guest. There is no mood setting, no attempts to creat an atmosphere, etc.  it’s just another paranormal show with the same guest rotating through. There is nothing that sets it apart.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 06:21:42 PM
Well that makes you a good egg!

But man, that was a major ass-kicking you put on him, have to say that much!

Who? Myke? ???

Metron2267

Quote from: username on October 20, 2018, 06:31:38 PM
I don't think any of those guys, want a pay cut, to play on a podcast network.

Especially one that isn't hard in on its own products like Jimmy Church is. To make this a revenue generator takes a lot of subsidiary promotion and product.

Frankly while podcasting has democratized the more centrally planned and managed "radio"form it has also created an Uber/Lyft style hobby job idiom that requires a lot of extra effort to squeeze a decent living out of. So yeah, your point stands.

Lilith

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 20, 2018, 07:07:42 PM
Dave should go back to hosting the way he did on Darkness radio, in my opinion.  It’s was a decent show. Instead Schrader has opted to turn his live podcast into on of the many other paranormal shows that just right straight to the guest. There is no mood setting, no attempts to creat an atmosphere, etc.  it’s just another paranormal show with the same guest rotating through. There is nothing that sets it apart.

But worse, because he seems uncomfortable with callers, because of trolls.  What would have happened to JC if Art just hung up on trolls?

WOTR

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 20, 2018, 03:46:07 PM
Just don't be surprised when he pulls something like that again.
He is, after all, Art's child.  ;)

WOTR

I would say he sets himself apart from Noory by pronouncing words and skipping the 3X5's.  He sets himself apart from Heather by not crying each night and showing up. 

Metron2267

"no mood setting"

Yes.

That is the missing factor.

It's been discussed that keeping the MITD name while the host lives in Minnesota is distracting. Give Vara his due on one thing, the tone of "late night in the midlands" is a geographic beacon, it sets an image in the listener's mind. Now if we suddenly found that he'd moved back to Rochester and was still using that title, where does the credibility of the program go?

The desert has a special magic, a vibe, a haunted quality that anyone who watched early B&W sci-fi films knows and feels and resonates with as long as the host shades it in. Art was great with the east and west of the rockies line titling in the same way that Herb Jepko and his Nitecaps show celebrated provincial call in line titles.

Heather has had some really good mood setting intros and deserves her props there.

As for atmosphere, Richard Syrett nails that in his intro, he creates a virtual warm cave for listeners to retreat to and sit by the fire.

Jim Harold's campfire podcasts, one more example.

Maybe what ails MITD is root inauthenticity. I still listen a bit, but I find a total immersion when I hear LMH's Phenomenon Radio because she's empowered John Burroughs to assist her and because her announcer Race is a strong voice, not JB Wells strong, but resonant enough to command attention.

Metron2267

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 20, 2018, 07:10:33 PM
Who? Myke? ???

Lol, no "good" Dave!

;)

You do conflict with verve and a wicked subtext.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on October 20, 2018, 07:23:02 PM
But worse, because he seems uncomfortable with callers, because of trolls.  What would have happened to JC if Art just hung up on trolls?

Exactly, brig! Most of these guys just aren’t up to the adventure. Art was curious, inquisitive and well spoken. He’d been around awhile by the time he’d started the job that made him famous. He was confident that he was intelligent enough to engage with who he wanted to and dispense with who he didn’t and he had the good judgement to make that call.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 07:32:23 PM
Lol, no "good" Dave!

;)

You do conflict with verve and a wicked subtext.

Oh, well that asshole deserves it.  ;)

Metron2267

Quote from: brig on October 20, 2018, 07:23:02 PM

Eggzactly!

You have to see the audience as a living component of the program and you have to make sure they know they are valued by you even if they are a tad woo woo.

Noory isn't bad at that, though he panders too much for my taste. Art was a past master (no pun intended) at encouraging callers to expose themselves on the air. "Psychological nudity" is what Michael Savage defines it as, and he's right - but there has to be both play and interplay.

Metron2267

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 20, 2018, 07:32:49 PM
Exactly, brig! Most of these guys just aren’t up to the adventure. Art was curious, inquisitive and well spoken. He’d been around awhile by the time he’d started the job that made him famous. He was confident that he was intelligent enough to engage with who he wanted to and dispense with who he didn’t and he had the good judgement to make that call.

Yep.

Just like Johnny Carson owned his game for a long, long time.

Metron2267

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 20, 2018, 07:33:38 PM
Oh, well that asshole deserves it.  ;)

Point is, you run a real nice chum slick.

I might have to cal you Quint... ;)