• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: area51drone on September 30, 2014, 03:59:27 PM
When they tell you not to panic, that's when you should start panicking.

Over eighty people get shot each day in the US, hundreds die from Hepetitis, drunk driving, TB but you don't panic about those. Is that because you've been told to panic?

WOTR

Quote from: area51drone on September 30, 2014, 03:59:27 PM
When they tell you not to panic, that's when you should start panicking.
On the flip side, anytime that Noory tells you that it is time to panic, it may be time to reconsider panicking.
Quote from: wr250 on September 30, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
and predictably,everyone is like OMFG EBOLA . this isnt even anywhere near as contagious as say swine/bird flu. we see how big of an epidemic those caused (other than the panic...).
in the meantime west nile outbreaks are going on, theres a outbreak of the plague, etc. oh wait, no one cares about those.
Thanks... Much like SARS and the bird flu I feel pretty good riding this one out.  It is not that I will not worry once (if) it makes an appearance and a few thousand people die in my city.  But it just is not time to devote my life to panic.  The only thing that I will have to remember is to see if we are stocked up with hand sanitizer at work tomorrow.  It was impossible to find when the bird flu hit last time...

pate

Dimitri from Paris-Lust in Space

Why wasn't the FFL sent to do some sort of Cordon Saniataire (sp?)

Aewsome!

onan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2014, 12:21:03 AM
Over eighty people get shot each day in the US, hundreds die from Hepetitis, drunk driving, TB but you don't panic about those. Is that because you've been told to panic?
yeah, but how long does a bullet last on a doorknob?

George Drooly

Quote from: onan on October 01, 2014, 03:23:06 AM
yeah, but how long does a bullet last on a doorknob?

Are you suggesting we shoot Noory?

pate

Quote from: George Drooly on October 01, 2014, 03:50:57 AM
Are you suggesting we shoot Noory?
of course, but that is beside the point... MaN  the folks behind the Bell Curve are amazing!  Hey, pumpkin:

Despite all my rage, there is still this pumpkin:

Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins (Lyrics)

Lordy, if they'd only listened to me on the 'cordon sanitaire' thing...

Wintermute

What exactly is Art Bell going to tell you that every other news outlet hasn't?

That it is a depopulation conspiracy?

That it's airborne and there is a WHO / CDC coverup?

The this strain of ebola was genetically engineered by the Illuminati?

That Hogland has information from an un-named source within NASA that says ebola came from moon rocks and is actually a Mayan disease, which proves ancient aliens brought Mayans to the moon and back?

Art just has a way of framing and discussing things. I don't care if it's something we've all heard a million times, there's nothing like hearing Art say it.

Yorkshire pud

I think he'd say it's marginally better than dying from lung cancer or in the hands of aliens going too far with experiments. But clearly worth having his sage opinion. Although of course it will change in a week or so.

Tarbaby

Kelt, what's this about evil unicorns? Everyone knows that's a contradiction of terms. Can you show me one evil unicorn?

albrecht

Art did tell us what he thought about Ebola on a few shows. I think he had Lindsey Williams on about it (1995-05-11) and also, more seriously, Richard Preston (author of "Hot Zone") on 12/17/97.

Kelt

Quote from: Tarbaby on October 01, 2014, 09:34:44 AM
Kelt, what's this about evil unicorns? Everyone knows that's a contradiction of terms. Can you show me one evil unicorn?

Tarbaby

That looks more like Bulwinkle the Moose, Which Boris and Natasha have glued a horn onto.

I fondly recall Art constantly being freaked about Ebola in the 90s.
Not so fond now since it's deep in the heart of Texas.

b_dubb

"I heard about this man with ebola in Texas and I immediately soiled my britches" - Art Bell

coaster

Saw these two headlines on yahoo right now.

Kelt

Quote from: coaster on October 01, 2014, 11:53:12 AM
Saw these two headlines on yahoo right now.

And this is the sort of thing they don't do in Africa, which is why it spreads.

Precautionary monitoring just in case, versus leaving infected corpses oozing in the street.

Charlie the Unicorn

nextgen.fm

Quote from: b_dubb on October 01, 2014, 11:00:33 AM
"I heard about this man with ebola in Texas and I immediately soiled my britches" - Art Bell

"I quickly retreated to the comforts of my RV camper and got a fresh pair..."

nextgen.fm

Quote from: albrecht on October 01, 2014, 09:58:11 AM
Art did tell us what he thought about Ebola on a few shows. I think he had Lindsey Williams on about it (1995-05-11) and also, more seriously, Richard Preston (author of "Hot Zone") on 12/17/97.

That's awesome, I'm going to listen to these

nextgen.fm

Quote from: Wintermute on October 01, 2014, 09:04:48 AM
What exactly is Art Bell going to tell you that every other news outlet hasn't?

That Hogland has information from an un-named source within NASA that says ebola came from moon rocks and is actually a Mayan disease, which proves ancient aliens brought Mayans to the moon and back?

;D

yumyumtree

I have been trying to decide if there is a normalcy bias problem going on here.  The patients' condition has been upgraded from critical to serious. On the other hand, the news says that two children may have been exposed and that an ER nurse did not exactly follow the right protocol.(I hope that Harborview has been training themselves for a similar scenario in Seattle) It seems that talk show hosts have been a beat behind breaking news lately, but Michael Medved did say that he doesn't think that the Ebola business is too big of a disaster, or words to that effect.  But he has always seemed to be a guy who leans toward normalcy bias, it seems to me.
Ebola may be leveling off in Africa.  So far, people who have it here have a better survival rate than people who have it here, because of better medical care and a variety of other reasons.  But it's still a bad scene, even if the people can be cured.  For one thing, does it perhaps have long-range effects on the individuals, like malaria or those type of illnesses? Also there's the expense and the drain on the healthcare system, especially if it got to be like the Spanish flu epidemic. And what if it coincided with another SHTF event, such as a natural disaster or a terrorist hit, and in the same place?  For example a big hurricane like Katrina, or a terrorist hit, or another disease outbreak.  I noted with interest that one of the children who had that mysterious illness they've been having in Colorado died of staph.

Another thing that I was thinking of today is that around here, anyway, a fair number of immigrants from African  countries work in nursing homes and related jobs in those fields. I don't know how many return home for visits.

pate

I can try...  Any unicorn that lets "that character" ride on it is clearly evil...

Science Settled.

If I try I may be able to find some evidence of Dick Cheney astride another (or perhaps the same) one...  Please don't call me on that, I don't know that any evidence exists of the unicorn that was that evil...

bateman

QuoteThe second possibility is one that virologists are loath to discuss openly but are definitely considering in private: that an Ebola virus could mutate to become transmissible through the air. You can now get Ebola only through direct contact with bodily fluids. But viruses like Ebola are notoriously sloppy in replicating, meaning the virus entering one person may be genetically different from the virus entering the next. The current Ebola virus’s hyper-evolution is unprecedented; there has been more human-to-human transmission in the past four months than most likely occurred in the last 500 to 1,000 years. Each new infection represents trillions of throws of the genetic dice.

If certain mutations occurred, it would mean that just breathing would put one at risk of contracting Ebola. Infections could spread quickly to every part of the globe, as the H1N1 influenza virus did in 2009, after its birth in Mexico.

Why are public officials afraid to discuss this? They don’t want to be accused of screaming “Fire!” in a crowded theater â€" as I’m sure some will accuse me of doing. But the risk is real, and until we consider it, the world will not be prepared to do what is necessary to end the epidemic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/opinion/what-were-afraid-to-say-about-ebola.html

Kelt

Quote from: bateman on October 01, 2014, 07:45:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/opinion/what-were-afraid-to-say-about-ebola.html

Yeah... no.

But interviews with several infectious diseases experts reveal that whereas such a mutationâ€"or more likely series of mutationsâ€"might physically be possible, it’s highly unlikely. In fact, there’s almost no historical precedent for any virus to change its basic mode of transmission so radically

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-the-ebola-virus-will-go-airborne/

bateman

Quote from: Kelt on October 01, 2014, 08:02:27 PM
Yeah... no.

But interviews with several infectious diseases experts reveal that whereas such a mutationâ€"or more likely series of mutationsâ€"might physically be possible, it’s highly unlikely. In fact, there’s almost no historical precedent for any virus to change its basic mode of transmission so radically

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-the-ebola-virus-will-go-airborne/

Yeah... yes. It's already mutated, repeatedly.

QuoteMichael T. Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.