• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ed Schultz? Liberal Talk Radio is Weak

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 10:16:06 AM

Marc.Knight

I have never been impressed with Ed's reasoning ability.  Why is it so tough for liberals to maintain an audience on radio?

Eddie Coyle

He's awful. Everything he does comes across as phony and self-aggrandizing. He's simply trying to be a "Liberal" version of Limbaugh. That's his schtick. Absoultely witless and charmless and prone to needless shouting.

And just who did he blow to get on TV? He looks like a "Hee Haw" extra, a pig-eyed bloato.

haloedorchid

He is just boring. I can't tell the difference between him and NorMAN GoldMAN (emphasis his).

The only progressive radio talk-show host I can tolerate is Thom Hartmann. He is smart, engaging, and entertaining.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: haloedorchid on March 17, 2011, 11:59:43 AM
He is just boring. I can't tell the difference between him and NorMAN GoldMAN (emphasis his).

The only progressive radio talk-show host I can tolerate is Thom Hartmann. He is smart, engaging, and entertaining.

Never heard of him.  I'll have to try to listen on-line.

rangers1919

Ed Schultz is an idiot. I don't know why  Democrats and liberals invested so much in him except that they must have figured he wouldn't fight them too much. Maddow was infinitely better when she had a show, and Thom Hartmann blows him away. Even Sam Seder was far, far better when he had a radio show, and his current podcast at Majority Report is far better than Ed's show.

Liberal radio hasn't been able to take off because many of the largest corporations got together and said they wouldn't advertise during liberal talk shows; this is all the stations care about, advertising dollars. Shows like Hartmann, Maddow, and even Rhodes have beat conservative shows in many markets when they are able to stay on and build an audience.

onan

Thom Hartman is very engaging and his positions are hard to refute if you can take the time to understand his supportive information. I think his high level of functioning may well be his tragic flaw. He is into so many different areas of interest that it deflects his ability to become a much larger radio personality... and he may just like it that way.

onan

Quote from: rangers1919 on March 19, 2011, 03:07:38 AM
Ed Schultz is an idiot. I don't know why  Democrats and liberals invested so much in him except that they must have figured he wouldn't fight them too much. Maddow was infinitely better when she had a show, and Thom Hartmann blows him away. Even Sam Seder was far, far better when he had a radio show, and his current podcast at Majority Report is far better than Ed's show.

Liberal radio hasn't been able to take off because many of the largest corporations got together and said they wouldn't advertise during liberal talk shows; this is all the stations care about, advertising dollars. Shows like Hartmann, Maddow, and even Rhodes have beat conservative shows in many markets when they are able to stay on and build an audience.

Well said. I remember a Randi Rhodes show several years ago talking about how Shultz took a large handout from some group that other talk show hosts wouldn't touch because of the fear of becoming too indebted.

What I like about Rhodes over all other hosts both conservative and liberal is she not only presents her opinions with lots of supporting information, but she challenges her audience to do their own research. She (at least used to) would state "don't believe me. Don't believe any talking head that gets paid to talk to you. Do your own research." She would then list several places to look for information. And I don't mean liberal websites. It is too bad that she isn't on more stations.

Bell2Gray

Well, you're at least willing to listen to another opinion, and that's good

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: rangers1919 on March 19, 2011, 03:07:38 AM

Liberal radio hasn't been able to take off because many of the largest corporations got together and said they wouldn't advertise during liberal talk shows; this is all the stations care about, advertising dollars.
The reason liberal talk radio didn't take off is because it didn't get ratings and was unsustainable as a result.  It's really that simple.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

onan

yup I would agree. And as simple as that is, I have to wonder why. I mean if talk radio was any kind of indicator of public opinion wouldn't our country be much more to the right than it is? Wouldn't taxation be at most 2%. Wouldn't Obama be a footnote in american politics?

I'm just askin.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on April 21, 2011, 01:04:36 AM
yup I would agree. And as simple as that is, I have to wonder why. I mean if talk radio was any kind of indicator of public opinion wouldn't our country be much more to the right than it is? Wouldn't taxation be at most 2%. Wouldn't Obama be a footnote in american politics?

I'm just askin.
I think it's because the people involved in liberal talk radio were doing it for all the wrong reasons. They were obsessed with the notion of serving as a counterweight to conservative talk... and it showed. They forgot to entertain. Their shows were heavy, unlikable, and almost purely activist in nature. There was no release valve.

It all just came off as being contrived and unnatural. There was nothing incidental about it. It felt like total propaganda and nothing more. I understand that conservative talk is loaded with propaganda... but it often has a certain incidental feel to it. Liberal talk existed as a manufactured response to Rush, and it lacked soul or excitement. The hosts typically sounded so angry and depressed. I could go on and on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

onan

Quote from: Michael V. on April 21, 2011, 02:20:10 AM
I think it's because the people involved in liberal talk radio were doing it for all the wrong reasons. They were obsessed with the notion of serving as a counterweight to conservative talk... and it showed. They forgot to entertain. Their shows were heavy, unlikable, and almost purely activist in nature. There was no release valve.

It all just came off as being contrived and unnatural. There was nothing incidental about it. It felt like total propaganda and nothing more. I understand that conservative talk is loaded with propaganda... but it often has a certain incidental feel to it. Liberal talk existed as a manufactured response to Rush, and it lacked soul or excitement. The hosts typically sounded so angry and depressed. I could go on and on.

Sent from my DROIDX
I agree with you on that point. But to add there was one show on Air America that was funny as hell. It was called Morning Sedition hosted by a non-radio guy/standup comic Marc Maron. He played it like a morning drive show and for me it worked but management didnt like it and morning drive is not an easy market from what I can gather. lemme see if I can find some of the files from the show. they are  all bits from the show and... well lemme see if I can link a few that I thought were funny.

Ok found it.

http://www.jimearl.com/radio.html

click on rapture watch, war on brains, the others are ok but those two selections are imo the best

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on April 21, 2011, 02:35:54 AM

http://www.jimearl.com/radio.html

click on rapture watch, war on brains, the others are ok but those two selections are imo the best
damn it.  requires the stupid quicktime plugin.

Quote from: onan on March 19, 2011, 07:51:07 PM

Well said. I remember a Randi Rhodes show several years ago talking about how Shultz took a large handout from some group that other talk show hosts wouldn't touch because of the fear of becoming too indebted.

What I like about Rhodes over all other hosts both conservative and liberal is she not only presents her opinions with lots of supporting information, but she challenges her audience to do their own research. She (at least used to) would state "don't believe me. Don't believe any talking head that gets paid to talk to you. Do your own research." She would then list several places to look for information. And I don't mean liberal websites. It is too bad that she isn't on more stations.

Well Rhodes is nuts in her own right. I used to listen to her occasionally here in South Florida when she was only a local host and she contradicts herself constantly and says things that make no logical sense at all.

That said I heard her live the evening of the 2000 election, just supposition on my part but I believe she was part of a pre planned Democratic operation to cast doubt on the Palm Beach County election results.

onan

Quote from: Peenman Enterprises on April 21, 2011, 02:52:12 AM
Well Rhodes is nuts in her own right. I used to listen to her occasionally here in South Florida when she was only a local host and she contradicts herself constantly and says things that make no logical sense at all.

That said I heard her live the evening of the 2000 election, just supposition on my part but I believe she was part of a pre planned Democratic operation to cast doubt on the Palm Beach County election results.

I guess it is possible. Hell I don't know her personally. And I didn't listen everyday... cus like MV stated the stuff does get weary day in and day out. But when I checked what she reported I always found it reliable... always.

As for contadictions I dunno I don't remember any. and as I said she is the only talking head to regularly tell her audience not to take her at her word and check out the issues themselves... that gives her more credibility than others in my book.

onan

Quote from: Michael V. on April 21, 2011, 02:48:06 AM
damn it.  requires the stupid quicktime plugin.

Hmmm I click and my widows media player pops up... I do have itunes but have my default to windows so dunno.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 25, 2011, 08:23:16 PM
     She's attractive, but I've always detected that "sister of Sappho" vibe from her.

She may be Lebanese...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always had a suspicion many right-wing media babes prefer seafood. Then again, I feel the same way about almost ALL left wing babes. Babes should probably be in quotations when referring to the lefties though. 

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Michael V. on April 21, 2011, 12:59:18 AM
The reason liberal talk radio didn't take off is because it didn't get ratings and was unsustainable as a result.  It's really that simple.

Ding! We have a winner. The same holds true for leftist to mainstream print and TV. Liberal media revenue continues to fall (New York Times, Time, MSNBC, whatever the next big fail will be).

Seamus Capone

Quote from: the_wanderer on May 25, 2011, 08:54:30 PM
they are afraid of offending anyone or anything

That's true....unless you don't agree with their views. In that case, many of them never miss a chance for a cheap shot or a low blow. The mean spirits reveal themselves for what they are. Some of them (Joy Behar, etc.) make Ann Coulter look like Miss Manners, and I don't like conservative bullies, either, BTW.

bschott

Hey Schultz, I have a feeling you are getting déjà vu from your time back on WDAY in 1988 when you got suspended for nearly starting a fight at a Bison game, or the time you 'resigned' (*ahem* were asked to leave) from WDAY after making some inappropriate comments/rant about a caller who asked you about your divorce (and implied infidelity...which was an open secret in the city) live on the air?

How about those comments made during those NDSU vs. UND games back in the late 90's? You were the "Voice of the NDSU Bison" on WDAY for years...YEARS...and you had the respect of the community, but you get canned from WDAY...sorry..."resigned" then go to the OTHER major Fargo station KFGO do a 180 and start trashing the NDSU players, the college, and the city of Fargo and have to have security walk you into and out of the game broadcasting booths. You hadn't left the CITY yet and were trashing it and its college sports teams on the air!

You were told repeatedly by management to chill the frak out on the trash talking, were placed 'on vacation' for many games in the early 2000's before "resigning from sports broadcasting to focus" on your political talk show... Yeah, it's no secret you were told to "resign or we can your ass publicly."

How about all the times you made "women in the kitchen" comments laughingly while covering bison games, especially when referring to the NDSU women's basketball and volleyball teams or your thinly-veiled comments on the radio about co-ed athletes abilities and what they should be focusing their time at college on instead... (something about sandwiches, kitchens and volleyball players performing best on their knees?) remember THAT little radio tirade that had the city buzzing or that side comment during the nightly news about a star co-ed basketball player that was set to break a few of the college MENS' basketball records which you had to do some back-peddling on during the 10 o'clock news?

Eddie, you are an ass AND a misogynist. The nation has only known you for a few years. You were pretty well hated in your home state, years before you went national.

None of the state media would give you a job and the only reason you were allowed to broadcast from KFGO studios for the first few years of the Ed Schultz Show was the studio was getting a good deal of money from Democracy Radio to let you do your show from there.

You finally ticked off the owner of KFGO and he pulled the plug on you broadcasting from the studios. Democracy Radio sold your show to Product First and they upped the compensation given to a studio just to get you on the air again over at KQWB for a year...and KQWB was about to pull your studio time for comments made when KFGO management changed hands and you got to 'come back home'.

In 2003 Sports Illustrated did an article on North Dakota and you were tied for second place with George Steinbrenner as the "Enemy of the State" with 5% of the vote. Brett Favre was first with 39%  From your OWN HOME STATE! 

Now you pull this over at MSNBC on a national level? Well, starting to see a pattern in your behavior yet Eddie? No?

Quote from: bschott on June 19, 2011, 10:02:53 PM

about a star co-ed basketball player that was set to break a few of the college MENS' basketball records which you had to do some back-peddling on during the 10 o'clock news?

All this talk about co-eds is making me horny. I all of a sudden have an urge to run down to the liquor store, buy a barrel of natty light, and pass out in my own vomit while clutching two plastic party cups. So was this co-ed playing on the men's team? Or were these records against other women? Because if it's the latter, that's one big yawn.

Oh yeah, Ed Shultz sucks.

bschott

hah.  She was a college basketball player playing against other women who had some of the women's records and was going after two of the schools (higher) men's records which also happened to be the State records as well.  Kinda a big deal as it would be the first time a woman in college athletics had an 'overall' state record by beating previously high records set by men.

Ruteger

Don't doubt me. Obama's re-election results in 2012 will make Walter Mondale's defeat look like the Charge of the Light Brigade. Obama is going to be land-slided. This POTUS oaf makes Jimmy Carter look like George Washington on steroids.
One caveat - the Stupid Party (GOP) will need to nominate an agressive Conservative. Another John McLame and say goodbye to America as you've known it.

Quote from: onan on April 21, 2011, 01:04:36 AM

I'm just askin.

SgtRocko

Sorry, but if you consider Ed Schultz to be an actual LIBERAL, you are SERIOUSLY hard-core rightwing.  The man's a populist at best - wants to try and get a leftie following by being a centrist Limbaugh... but it doesn't work.  Listening to him badmouth baseball (how can you trust a "public figure" who doesn't like baseball???) and then drone on and on and on about his PGA player son (Yeah, the minimum wage left really loves hearing about PGA).  He parrots the right of centre Democratic Party line shamelessly, has NO sense of humour...  and those constant plugs...

He's the Sham-Wow! guy's Nebraskan father

Scully

Quote from: onan on May 25, 2011, 09:08:39 PM
Maybe he was just channeling Dan...

Jane you Ignorant slut

For some really weird reason, this is one of my favorite one-liners of all time.  Seems to cover all the bases. Thanks, Onan.  ;D

Quote from: Scully on October 08, 2011, 10:06:19 PM

For some really weird reason, this is one of my favorite one-liners of all time.  Seems to cover all the bases. Thanks, Onan.  ;D

I agree.  Along with, "What does the yellow light mean?"    :P