• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No
I am pretty sure rectilinear just means 'along a straight line', at least in physics, rectilinear motion is motion along a straight line, like the x-axis. Applied to case of Mr. Noory, we could say that his career moves in rectilinear fashion, in that we know its position, speed, and direction, all of which are pretty much constant, we don't know how the hell he got where he his; the initial conditions are impossible to tell; he just sort of appeared behind the mic one day. There are no net forces acting on it, since his producers lube him up enough before each show so that friction is negligible, and the guests certainly don't impede his motion - they may have at first, but being transient terms in the solution to his differntial equation, their effect has gone to zero as time has gone on, granted transient terms only go to zero as time goes to infinity, but what's the difference? it feels like he's been around for an infinite amount of time. We need a better model!

:P

Jasmine

Quote from: thefamilyghost on February 16, 2012, 06:41:25 PM
I am pretty sure rectilinear just means 'along a straight line', at least in physics, rectilinear motion is motion along a straight line, like the x-axis. Applied to case of Mr. Noory, we could say that his career moves in rectilinear fashion, in that we know its position, speed, and direction, all of which are pretty much constant, we don't know how the hell he got where he his; the initial conditions are impossible to tell; he just sort of appeared behind the mic one day. There are no net forces acting on it, since his producers lube him up enough before each show so that friction is negligible, and the guests certainly don't impede his motion - they may have at first, but being transient terms in the solution to his differntial equation, their effect has gone to zero as time has gone on, granted transient terms only go to zero as time goes to infinity, but what's the difference? it feels like he's been around for an infinite amount of time. We need a better model!  :P

BRAVO, thefamilyghost! BRAVO!

Hmm, when I thought of the word rectilinear, the first thing that came to mind was back in high school when I took wood shop (elective course)...and the planing of the wood.

Mind you, I always get rectilinear and recliners mixed up.

Morgus

Noory would probably think rectilinear referred to an inline rectum?
He would immediately hit his audio delay button to prevent the word from getting out on the air, since he would deem it as violating his G-rating programming standard. :o

Quote from: valdez on February 16, 2012, 06:03:56 AM

... Joe Bullard talked a lot about the coral castle phenomenon, and during the last hour he and a caller were talking about a book written by Ed Leedskalnin, the guy who built the castle, and how a symbol on the cover of the book may have been a clue as to what mystical energy was employed, and I was fascinated by this discussion, and I wanted to hear more, and George interupts them both with...

This is precisely why I can't even listen to George Noory on the radio.  Regardless of guest or topic, anything interesting and he will turn the conversation back towards stupid.  I could suffer through the rest of his faults, but can't deal with this.

Even Ian can be good if he shuts up long enough for the guest to talk a little bit without being interrupted, argued with, topped, or re-stated.

VtaGeezer

To be fair on the student loan issues, they're not what they used to be...nor are the schools that they enrich.  Federal student loans were "privatized" under Bush; i.e., lenders get almost interest free Federal money to lend and they get to charge the going rate + fees.  Brought to you by the same wonderful folks who invented sub-prime mortgages and credit swaps.  Multiply that by the explosion in often slimy for-profit "universities" and tech schools that scam desperate people for training for non-existent jobs, and you might perceive where this is heading.  This not the old scenario of racking up huge Federal student loan balances and going Ch 11 upon graduation.

b_dubb

re: student loans ... students should get a chance to see what it might be like to work in an industry at a job before they sign on the line for tens of thousands of dollars. And people who want to get a degree in a field that is has few jobs shouldn't be subsidized by the fed loans. I paid for a big chunk of my college out of pocket by working manual labor, restaurant, and retail jobs

Avi

Quote from: Gassy Man on February 16, 2012, 09:30:24 AM
I'm tenured at a community college and taught part-time for years as well at the big university where I did my graduate work; I score for Advanced Placement tests and have friends who teach around the country and the world -- I can tell you immaturity is not just an issue with 17-year-olds.  I and friends get plenty of 30-, 40-, and 50-year-olds that are just as clueless these days and just as immature.  It's not age that's so much the problem but a misalignment about expectations, and we're increasingly -- especially at the two-year colleges -- getting students who are fundamentally unprepared for the rigors of college in both skill and attitude . . . at the same time that grade inflation, the-customer-is-always-right entitlements, and shifting demographics are making education less important than getting college degrees.  The college degree has gone "mainstream" in a very bad way.

Well, higher education has become an industry of sorts, in part, due to qualification inflation (the university where I teach has a huuuge marketing department). Now, some sales clerk positions are requiring college degrees. Almost any type of lower-level management requires a Master's degree. Ridiculous! I don't know if this has come about because this is the level at which employers feel the basic literacy and numeracy standards will be met - but this is assuming that employers have a clue (probably an overgenerous assessment).

I teach music and acoustics, so I'm lucky to have a student population committed to the subject, but you're very right about the weird customer-service vibe that pervades institution. When I have taught the music appreciation course (that's 3 hours of coveted fine arts credit, for the general student population), I have been told I have an obligation to get the student through the class with a passing grade "since I'm paying for the course." The university has sent out memos detailing and scripting how we are to relate to our 'clients (the public, students and co-workers).' Clients? Really? I will be very happy when this teaching grant comes to an end.

Quote from: Jasmine on February 16, 2012, 05:41:50 PM
I couldn't be a prof in a college or university today...I'd pretty much suffer from lecture hall rage during my first day!

Heh-heh! I was taken to task for the flippancy of my syllabus - it was not customer-service appropriate. I was also told not to wake up sleeping students in the back of large lecture halls by blasting them with Ride of the Valkyries and then, laughing maniacally.

Oh yeah, the rectilinear (flat and lengthy) George Noory still sucks.

Avi

Edit (if anyone really cares): pervades the institution...

I swear I put it there, but then, it went away. It was bad luck putting Snoory's name in the post. I's not a literate.

Scully

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on February 15, 2012, 05:11:11 PM
Folks, I am sorry that is not George's wife.  That is Richard Dolan's wife, Karyn (not sure on that spelling).  She was at some conference or talkfest.  I have seen her and spoken to her before at a conference or two.   She is a very nice person, she is standing next to George.

Thanks for clearing things up, Angel Eyes.  Maybe Noory just can't keep his hands off redheads.  And it's good to know this nice lady isn't the one who almost got thrown over Caveman George's shoulder and carried off to Timeout. :D

Sardondi

Quote from: fysisist on February 16, 2012, 01:26:43 PM
Further, even NO ONE would be better than Noory, just let the guest do a monologue on his/her topic.

Or just play Art Bell re-runs. Not just 1-out-of-8 as with the "Somewhere in Time" thing, but every single night. Premiere already owns a lot of Art's shows (or has the right to use them), and could buy the earlier stuff if it hasn't already. They could go for years and never repeat a show, plus not pay a dime for talent other than one producer and one engineer and their weekend relief.

And George Noory and his Simple Posse would be turned out into the cold, to disappear forever except for one future 60-second segment on VH-1's "I Love The 10's".

sleeplessinca

... George interupts them both with, "how many people are mesmerized by the castle that Ed built?"  Huh?  What?  First of all, its rude.  Second of all, it's a dumb question that can't be answered.  No one is going to be able to give George an exact number on that.  Ever.  And it's irrelevant.  Ugh.
[/quote]

frickin buzzkill. 

you never know...thats for sure...somethings going to happen

he's an expert on this shit you know!

WOTR

Oh yeah George; I suppose you received an email from a "friend" who wanted to warn you about the impending horror of telemarketers getting your information when cell phone numbers "go public"?  A quick check on snopes or Urbanlegends would have quickly uncovered it as a crock that has been circulating since 2004.

Does nobody bother to do a basic "fact check" before George goes reading the chain mail on air?  When will he warn us about exploding cars at the gas pumps due to our cell phones ringing?

Moron.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/business/a/cell_directory.htm
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Sardondi

Quote from: sleeplessinca on February 17, 2012, 01:54:19 AM
... George interupts them both with, "how many people are mesmerized by the castle that Ed built?"....

Uh, 7. Next question.

Morgus

I found this pic from an internet search on Aviation Weekly grey alien, that may be the photo that the c2c guest tonight was referring to from the 1970s:

MDL5676

Quote from: sleeplessinca on February 13, 2012, 10:22:15 AM
I keep hoping another provocative late night show will emerge.  I mentioned Laura Lee in my last post and found she is still out there!  You have to buy her interviews or download them or something.

It looks like he will be here for a long time.  Maybe he (or Tommy) reads this board to get some tips.  God knows, he's no Paul Harvey!

So I will post other boring stuff Noorey does or says:

"You never know" - his go to phrase when he cannot think of anything else to say or worse, wasn't listening.  I hate it especially when he says it really slow like I'm supposed to be scared or something.

"Something is going to happen" - his go to phrase when he wants to stimulate conversation or seem edgy or extra-sensitive like his famous aunt.

"Turmeric or colloidal" - used when he wants to show how healthy he is.

"Psychic vampire" - I just hate when he goes there.  It is obvious he is digging at the mother of his children and the other half of his failed marriage.  I love the way Art loved Ramona, his cats, came to love his new life and his new daughter.  I wish him well.

"There was a Twilight Zone where...." - a pathetic dated, desperate attempt at deeply relating to the guest.  Usuals are "To Serve Man", "I Sing the Body Electric".  Even worse, he will mention some movie he can't remember the name of.  I wish he would have a deeper well of literature to draw off. 

When he recycles Art's stuff like being moved by the children's voices on the ghost recordings.  Makes me miss Art all the more.

Any of his self promotion, bragging about how many stations or when he endorses things you know he doesn't really like.  I find his proud proclamation of his sleep number of 90 grating. 

When he humbly mutters "thanks" in response to callers' greetings as if they were giving a compliment.

Whenever he brags about his youthful start in the radio business.  He acts like it is because he is so fly.  He should read the book Outliers (if he ever reads) and he will find that he simply benefitted by being born at a very opportune time.  It simply didn't take as much talent or drive to succeed for certain generations as it does for others. 

When he cleans out the bookshelf of books he never read.  He doesn't even use the book to connect the listeners.  It is clear just a piece of garbage to him.

Enough for now.  I like Ian, Ian's replacement and Knapp so much better.

valdez

I was mesmerised by David Bennet's slow, calm, humble description of his death by drowning, the euphoria that he felt right before swallowing the water, due to lack of oxygen, then the pain of breathing in the sea, then the peace, and when he stood before the thousand of points of light that he believed to be God George cut him off with, "how'd you get back?"  George, you ignorant corporate slut, he would have gotten around to it.  Sometimes you just gotta shut up.  Ian knows that.  Knapp knows that.  This may have been one of his best segments in a while, in spite of his bone-headedness, and going to his army of zombie callers after only forty minutes into the interview, and spent 15 minutes listening to "bouncer guy" relate how he got shot and became a drug addict.  Great.  I don't know what Chuck Harder's purpose was, but the moment he started raving about the Billy Meier's photos I was done with him.

Last night George admitted to his guest about NDEs that he got one of his questions from the cover of the book.
Glad he admitted that. It confirmed a lot.

And it was a shame because  of all the NDE stuff on the show, David Bennett was the most convincing and interesting.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: valdez on February 17, 2012, 05:35:29 AM
     I was mesmerised by David Bennet's slow, calm, humble description of his death by drowning, the euphoria that he felt right before swallowing the water, due to lack of oxygen, then the pain of breathing in the sea, then the peace, and when he stood before the thousand of points of light that he believed to be God George cut him off with, "how'd you get back?" 

I was livid when Snoory did this!  George, you idiot--can't you listen to what your guests are saying instead of leaping ahead to some list of questions you want to race through? 

Try it.  Just once.  For the sake of all mankind.  Please. 

Lunger

Quote from: Jasmine on February 16, 2012, 05:41:50 PM
LOL! So true. I'm afraid, Mr. McPhallus, that the female species is a most complicated one (of our own doing), and at times most unbecoming to the male species...and to other members of the female tribe. Which explains why almost all of my closest friends are of the male persuasion. I have found that, with men, for the most part, you know where you stand on almost all issues. With women? Ah, now, there's the quintessential paradox!

When men get together with their friends they insult each other without meaning it.

When women get together they compliment each other without meaning it.

Quote from: Lovely Bones on February 17, 2012, 09:14:52 AM
I was livid when Snoory did this!  George, you idiot--can't you listen to what your guests are saying instead of leaping ahead to some list of questions you want to race through? 

George has to know he does this, he must get tons of email from people complaining about specific examples. 

It just isn't that hard to spot a comment of interest and follow up, or to realize the guest is part way through something interesting and simply let them continue.  Does he do this intentionally?  Could he really just not be listening the whole show?  If so, then what on earth is he doing during the show?  Does he really just not give a flip?

But if anyone questions it or suggests improvement, then they're just 'haters'.

I wonder if George has ever had a conversation of substance on any topic other than George Noory.  Can a person really get through life seemingly sucessfully on the outside only talking about themselves the whole time?  How lonely that must be.

Jasmine

I was mesmerised by David Bennet's slow, calm, humble description of his death by drowning, the euphoria that he felt right before swallowing the water, due to lack of oxygen, then the pain of breathing in the sea, then the peace, and when he stood before the thousand of points of light that he believed to be God George cut him off with, "how'd you get back?"  George, you ignorant corporate slut, he would have gotten around to it.  Sometimes you just gotta shut up.  Ian knows that.  Knapp knows that.  This may have been one of his best segments in a while, in spite of his bone-headedness, and going to his army of zombie callers after only forty minutes into the interview, and spent 15 minutes listening to "bouncer guy" relate how he got shot and became a drug addict.  Great.  I don't know what Chuck Harder's purpose was, but the moment he started raving about the Billy Meier's photos I was done with him.   

You took the words right out of my...typing fingers, Valdez and Lovely Bones. I too was livid. There seems to be NO END to George's retarded brain kicking in, night after night. I could insert some colorful choice words to describe Noory and his on-air performance (or severe lack of) but I'm feeling like a lady today.  ;)

Quote from: Lunger on February 17, 2012, 10:25:10 AM

When men get together with their friends they insult each other without meaning it.

When women get together they compliment each other without meaning it.

LOL! I hear you on that! For the most part, get a group of women together, and they're a litter of meowing kitties with their claws extended...which is why, for example, I avoid bridal and baby showers like  the dickens (as does my mother)..to attend one is like stepping into Dante's Inferno...with wine and a buffet. Although, I must step up to the plate and support  my close male buddies (including my wonderful brother and handsome fiance) - they are all pretty much up front with each other and tell it like it is, which I so admire. I think guys don't give themselves the credit they deserve...again, for the most part.

How about this one:

Men marry women hoping they'll never change.
Women marry men hoping they will change.
Both are ultimately disappointed.

Not true for all couples, to be sure, but it's the story of countless married couples I know.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 17, 2012, 01:45:00 PM

George has to know he does this, he must get tons of email from people complaining about specific examples. 

It just isn't that hard to spot a comment of interest and follow up, or to realize the guest is part way through something interesting and simply let them continue.  Does he do this intentionally?  Could he really just not be listening the whole show?  If so, then what on earth is he doing during the show?  Does he really just not give a flip?

I wonder if George has ever had a conversation of substance on any topic other than George Noory.  Can a person really get through life seemingly sucessfully on the outside only talking about themselves the whole time?  How lonely that must be.

GN has said that he is a "conductor" in regards to his hosting style.  Well, he has no timing, harmony or passion!  He is a horrible "conductor".

There is an interview on youtube from some local guy in St. Louis with GN.  This guy is a total kiss ass and GN is just as boring on camera if not more so because he looks like he's about to fall asleep.  In this interview he gives a reason as to why the SYFY channel cancelled his show after about 6 episodes.  He claimed they wanted to do a show like Howard Stern's with cameras in the studio.  I doubt that is the reason for the cancellation, but GN did say one true thing, "that isn't good television".  You got that right.

I'm really tired of GN starting almost all of his interviews with "what's new with you?"  Then the rest of the so called interview is "really?!, wow!, that's fascinating!, one of my favorite movies..., how many people do this?!, how many people like this?!"  The stupidity goes on and on.  He loves those "how many people (fill in the blank)" questions.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I'm still a streamlink user, but I won't be renewing.

Quote from: ManiacMatt on February 17, 2012, 03:41:52 PM
GN has said that he is a "conductor" in regards to his hosting style.  Well, he has no timing, harmony or passion!  He is a horrible "conductor".

There is an interview on youtube from some local guy in St. Louis with GN.  This guy is a total kiss ass and GN is just as boring on camera if not more so because he looks like he's about to fall asleep.  In this interview he gives a reason as to why the SYFY channel cancelled his show after about 6 episodes.  He claimed they wanted to do a show like Howard Stern's with cameras in the studio.  I doubt that is the reason for the cancellation, but GN did say one true thing, "that isn't good television".  You got that right.

I'm really tired of GN starting almost all of his interviews with "what's new with you?"  Then the rest of the so called interview is "really?!, wow!, that's fascinating!, one of my favorite movies..., how many people do this?!, how many people like this?!"  The stupidity goes on and on.  He loves those "how many people (fill in the blank)" questions.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I'm still a streamlink user, but I won't be renewing.

There's a new Ancient Aliens episode on tonight.  I'm sure George will be on, contributing nothing.

So get ready for that.

Sardondi

Quote from: valdez on February 17, 2012, 05:35:29 AM...when he stood before the thousand of points of light that he believed to be God George cut him off with, "how'd you get back?" ...

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 17, 2012, 01:45:00 PM

George's derailing questions flabbergast me. The fact that so many of us see the same thing tells me that we're not imagining a problem. Other than his total lack of show prep, and his constant failures to listen to his guests, it is George's "tin ear" that bothers me most. How many times have we heard George finally allow a guest to speak without interruption, and begin to tell a compelling story so that s/he develops a flow and makes a connection with the audience, that George will burst in with an inane, irrelevant question? This not only ruins the story and destroys the moment, it often throws the guests for such a loop that they never get their confidence back, and the appearance is not really a success.

It's so common, it's as if George is sabotaging his own show. IMO it is more George's inability to understand people. We've talked about his terribly low "EQ" or 'emotion quotient'. This is the emotional counterpart to "IQ", and represents the relative ability to understand and empathize with others, and connect with them on an emotional basis. Noory's interruptions show he has little or no ability to understand other persons. 

But it still doesn't explain why he picks the moments he does. Maybe he has a rough "answer time-limit", so that when he thinks his guests go on too long, he cuts them off with a (stupid) question. He would still have no understanding of how the guest might be mesmerizing the audience.

In a sense George is like the "savant" of the title in Rain Man, or what people used to call an "idiot savant". Except George has no special mental ability, so you'd have to drop the "savant" and diagnose him "George Noory - Idiot".

Certain persons have no feelings of empathy for others at all, and don't understand (and usually don't care) how their actions might affect or harm others. They don't have appropriate feelings for certain events and interactions, but they learn to recognize the circumstances and the emotions, and over time also learn how to act like they have the same emotions as everyone else. This is the pathological narcissist, suffering the "narcissistic personality disorder", which with variations is seen in genocidal egomaniacs, serial sex killers or passive-aggressive egocentric radio program hosts.

Who knows why George does it? We only know that each show brings the fresh possibility that a C2C guest will hold the audience spellbound with his or her tale, and that just before the huge alien craft lands beside the car, a ghostly figure materializes, the hidden passage under the Sphinx is opened, a dead grandmother speaks, or the incredibly bright figure of unconditional love draws near, George will break in with that Great Lakes nasality and ask, "So, have you been doing a lot of bookstore signings?"

*sigh*

Scully

I was mesmerised by David Bennet's slow, calm, humble description of his death by drowning, the euphoria that he felt right before swallowing the water, due to lack of oxygen, then the pain of breathing in the sea, then the peace, and when he stood before the thousand of points of light that he believed to be God George cut him off with, "how'd you get back?"  George, you ignorant corporate slut, he would have gotten around to it.  Sometimes you just gotta shut up.  Ian knows that.  Knapp knows that.   ...

Valdez, you've said it really well.  And if there had been a take-a-number-to-slap-Simple-George line, I would have been in it.  >:(

Edit:  Sardondi you posted while I was writing this.  Just add me to the list of people who are appalled by George's Nooryisms, whatever the reason for them is.

punkinpie

I just listened to the Coral Castle show from this week.  I listened to the first twenty minutes twice.  I have never heard of the Coral Castle and had no idea what it was.  As I was listening the first time I thought that my mind had wandered because I still had no clue WTF they were talking about.  I went back and listened again and still didn't grasp exactly what they were talking about.  I had to look it up in Wikipedia.

Did I suddenly develop ADD?  I don't think there was ever a real description of the basic who, what, where and why.  It seemed as though they started the interview as if we all have an understanding of the damned place.   

11angeleyes11

. . It's called laying a foundation on the subject.  Simply, the foundation does not have to be coral, just a basic foundation for those millions of "new" listeners. 

Maybe that was simply homework, look up the subject after the show. 

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Scully on February 17, 2012, 11:14:12 PM

Valdez, you've said it really well.  And if there had been a take-a-number-to-slap-Simple-George line, I would have been in it.  >:(

The color red drew my attention.  Very brazen!

Edit:  Sardondi you posted while I was writing this.  Just add me to the list of people who are appalled by George's Nooryisms, whatever the reason for them is.

Sardondi

Unbelievable - another one.

I was listening to the portion of last night's show with David Bennett on NDE's, which was the segment valdez pointed out that George had derailed with his inane question. Bennett was explaining how after his NDE his first marriage had broken up because of the new-found love for everyone, not just a few people near to him. It's as if the experiencers have grown out of the way humans view and feel love, and begin to feel "cosmic love" just a little. (I've read that this is quite common after an NDE; and experiencers often find their personal relationships adversely affected because they are less important in light of the necessity that we love everyone .) Now George has only heard this about about 20 times a year for the last 7 years or more. But you'd never know it, as this exchange shows -

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
David Bennett - When you're exposed to that intense type love, it changes the way you see things. It changes the way you express your love. And you start to have more of a universal love. And you can imagine how that challenges a relationship when you love everyone the same, when your wife was used to having a love that was just reserved for her. It puts a heck of a strain on a relationship.

George - Not that you went out to date everybody!

Bennett - No! No! No! But it just, she couldn't understand this new expression that I was having.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

What the...? Huh? "Date everybody"?! Where the hell did that come from? Right, George - Bennett was obviously talking about being a horndog, and chasing women 24-7. Idiot! If only your eternal reward could be for you to be trapped forever in a room with just yourself.