• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

VtaGeezer

Quote from: b_dubb on March 01, 2012, 07:27:45 PM
yeah that's seriously messed up.  is it possible you misheard or ... ?  i have to go throw up now
To be VERY clear, I recall pretty strongly that he mentioned his son being in the dream, but definitely NOT its subject.  I even e-mailed him the next day that it sounded really creepy to bring his kid into such a topic.  I'd say this program was 5 years ago or more.

Sunday's show:

3/11/12
Salem witches, frontier wilderness beasts, freak show oddities, alien invasions, and Freddie Krueger. From our colonial past to the present, the monster in all its various forms has been a staple of U.S. culture.

Professor of History Scott Poole joins Ian Punnett for a discussion of the dark obsessions that have helped create America's national identity.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: 999 on March 10, 2012, 01:29:38 PM
Sunday's show:

3/11/12
Salem witches, frontier wilderness beasts, freak show oddities, alien invasions, and Freddie Krueger. From our colonial past to the present, the monster in all its various forms has been a staple of U.S. culture.

Professor of History Scott Poole joins Ian Punnett for a discussion of the dark obsessions that have helped create America's national identity.

That's why I still listen on the weekends. It's that kind of subject that hooked me on Coast in the first place. It's a good thing that Punnett will host the show. He brings the needed mental and verbal abilities to the conversation. I don't wanna praise the weekend shows and hosts too much, though. The evil forces might play reruns of Noory-hosted programs on the weekends, just to spite me, if I say too much. ;-) I'm so pleased that Noory isn't hosting *this* show!   

Quote from: 999 on March 10, 2012, 01:29:38 PM
Sunday's show:

3/11/12

I love it already. Though I get offended when people spell Freddy Krueger's name wrong.

Eddie Coyle

Like any good cuckoo, I was out for a walk at 3:30 am and listening to Ian...and goddamn, if his guest doesn't sound like one of Christopher Guest's "gay" characters. He's got this effeminate twang(I'm not saying he's...not that there's...)

Anyway, it made me laugh to myself. Which I'm sure terrified that slightly inebriated yuppie couple that made the mistake of passing my way.

Oversoul

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 29, 2012, 11:17:41 PM
When he interviews the horse man, he seems a little bit too eager to find out more about just how attracted he is to the mares, their recaction, how he knew, how far he took things, etc.  When he interviewed the woman who had been one of several wives of a Mormon polygamist, he was pretty icky wondering whether all the wives had sex with the guy at the same time or if it was one at a time.  I don't recall exactly what he asked one of the astronauts about sex in space, but he had certainly put some thought into that as well. 

It's been a long time I listened to one of his shows, but if I think about it for awhile, pretty sure I could come up with other examples when he was creepily inappropriate.  Especially for a 'Deacon'.  Somehow he never got around to talking about the details of his wife and Dawg the Bounty Hunter though.

The Deacon is sexually repressed and obsessed.  :o

Gassy Man

He doesn't pay attention to fastblasts either -- I've tried on multiple times to get something on the air and nothing. 

Oversoul

Quote from: Gassy Man on March 12, 2012, 02:49:37 AM
He doesn't pay attention to fastblasts either -- I've tried on multiple times to get something on the air and nothing.

Same here.  I have the impression that the "fast blasts" are also screened and filtered.

Morgus

Quote from: Gassy Man on March 12, 2012, 02:49:37 AM
Ian a long time ago stopped using emails or fastblasts.
Ian only uses his twitter site for messages now and mentions them on the air often, so tweet him if you want him to respond or mention something.  8)

Quote from: Morgus on March 12, 2012, 01:26:51 PM
Ian only uses his twitter site for messages now and mentions them on the air often, so tweet him if you want him to respond or mention something.  8)

Ian is just so smart.  There is nothing a listener can think to add or ask that Ian himself hasn't already thought of, and if they do he gets angry, argumentive, accuses them of trying to take over the show, mutes them, talks over them, dumps them, and then says in his sad radio guy voice that all he wanted was to have a conversation with them.  Why would he be interested in emails or fastblasts.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Morgus on March 12, 2012, 01:26:51 PM
Thanks, Morgus, but I hate Twitter.  The whole concept is annoying . . . I realize it's not fundamentally different than emailing, but it seems to have invited an even greater inventory of useless things people want to say. 

EnterDragon

I enjoyed last night's show so much, what a great program! Ian is definitely intelligent, offers the most insight than the other hosts do for sure, I didn't realize I'd miss him so much, hopefully he'll fill in once in a while and do two shows a month.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 12, 2012, 05:01:43 PMIan is just so smart.  There is nothing a listener can think to add or ask that Ian himself hasn't already thought of, and if they do he gets angry, argumentive, accuses them of trying to take over the show, mutes them, talks over them, dumps them, and then says in his sad radio guy voice that all he wanted was to have a conversation with them.  Why would he be interested in emails or fastblasts.

As much as I complimented Punnett in the past, I must admit that most of your criticisms ring true. There are two sides to the Ian coin.

sunglasses

Ian cannot keep his mouth shut ! We got rid of him in Atlanta years ago- only to find him under a rock with Snoory. His recent guest wanted to talk so bad about Govt. Papers concerning UFO blue rooms- but Ian wanted to interject some absurd values and beliefs that went so far off topic i had to shut down the broadcast and listen to Montrose / Gary Moore ( both will be missed )

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: sunglasses on March 13, 2012, 09:57:59 PM
but Ian wanted to interject some absurd values and beliefs that went so far off topic i had to shut down the broadcast and listen to Montrose / Gary Moore ( both will be missed )
A wise choice. Did you know that Montrose actually sued Moore over a long-lost guitar(of Ronnie's) a few years back...and now both are dead, far too young. Both were great.

Frys Girl

Quote from: sunglasses on March 13, 2012, 09:57:59 PM
Ian cannot keep his mouth shut ! We got rid of him in Atlanta years ago- only to find him under a rock with Snoory. His recent guest wanted to talk so bad about Govt. Papers concerning UFO blue rooms- but Ian wanted to interject some absurd values and beliefs that went so far off topic i had to shut down the broadcast and listen to Montrose / Gary Moore ( both will be missed )
COSIGN!!!! I think having once a month shows is getting to him. His guests can't talk a peep. Shut up Ian! I love you but, just shut up!

My friend recently started listening to Coast to Coast and ... he told me this: "The lesbian is my favorite." Meaning Ian. That line just cracked me up.

texaskdog

Very dissappointed that, after 6 months of not listening to C2C, that my favorite host is only on once a month.  I can't listen to Wells' voice at all, definitely my least favorite host.  Guess there is enough of interest to get my $7 worth at least, but wish Ian was on more, not less

blackshap9

Quote from: texaskdog on March 22, 2012, 11:35:50 AM
Very dissappointed that, after 6 months of not listening to C2C, that my favorite host is only on once a month.  I can't listen to Wells' voice at all, definitely my least favorite host.  Guess there is enough of interest to get my $7 worth at least, but wish Ian was on more, not less
I agree with you here. You must have not heard then that he is ill. Something with his hearing. His morning show pays his bills so I think unless he gets cured he will leave coast for good soon.

AlaskaGuy

Ian intermittently shows flashes of talent and promise, and his guests are frequently top notch and interesting.  Unfortunately, in my view, IP all too frequently seems incapable of rational thought when it comes to understanding the critical differences between, oh, say, religious faith and scientific principles.  Word up, IP:  The Scientific Method is no more akin to religious/deistic 'faith' than abstinence/celibacy are sexual positions.  Irritates the ever-luvvin' sh*t out of me when he insists on twisting the topic at hand back on itself however grotesquely and inappropriately as a means of whipping that favorite dead horse of his (science and religion are equals) one-more-flippin'-time.  IP's smart....to a point.  Then again, at least he's not GK.

Quote from: AlaskaGuy on April 05, 2012, 01:41:16 PM
...  IP all too frequently seems incapable of rational thought when it comes to understanding the critical differences between, oh, say, religious faith and scientific principles...

For Ian, they are the same.  Both (or most of what he is knowledgeble about) come from books written by experts in the field.  Ian is very impressed with degrees and credentials - so whether it's someone writing about some pointy-headed aspect of religion, or some scientific essay, if it's from a source Ian respects, that's good enough.

And if anyone doesn't like it, they can consider themselves hung up on.

AlaskaGuy

It's not his 'faith' that I have a problem with.  As someone once said, I can 'respect' his faith/beliefs to the same extent that I can 'respect' another person's assertion that his/her spouse the most beautiful in the world, or that his/her kids are the smartest in the world, etc.  It's when such assertion has implications beyond oneself that I draw the line, so to speak.  I also blurt out obscenities directed towards the radio/IP whenever IP insists (while interrupting) to a guest that he/IP "totally gets it" (whatever point the guest is attempting to make/clarify)...and then immediately goes on to say things that starkly demonstrate just how severely IP most certainly does *not* "get"/grasp the concept at hand.  Maddening stuff, and a poor substitute for  quality, if it's simply that bleakly masturbatory/masochistic "keep listening just because it's so awful" listenership that Premier is deliberately aiming for. 

Sunday:

4/8/12

Joining Ian Punnett in the first half, historian and Bible expert, Bart Ehrman confronts the question 'Did Jesus exist at all?' He provides a compelling argument for the existence of the man from Nazareth, but perhaps not the Jesus you'd hoped to meet.

In the latter half, scientist Charles Pellegrino talks about how after a century, the Titanic's infrastructure is set to collapse in the next few years. He'll share untold stories about the sinking and exploration of the "unsinkable" ship.

Quote from: 999 on April 06, 2012, 04:10:34 PM
Sunday: 4/8/12

Joining Ian Punnett in the first half, historian and Bible expert, Bart Ehrman confronts the question 'Did Jesus exist at all?' He provides a compelling argument for the existence of the man from Nazareth, but perhaps not the Jesus you'd hoped to meet.
Gosh, the "real" Jesus isn't going to be on?  He was on a few years ago.  Why isn't he He a regular?  Ian has such great connections.

Quote from: AlaskaGuy on April 05, 2012, 02:19:03 PM
... I also blurt out obscenities directed towards the radio/IP whenever IP insists (while interrupting) to a guest that he/IP "totally gets it" (whatever point the guest is attempting to make/clarify)...and then immediately goes on to say things that starkly demonstrate just how severely IP most certainly does *not* "get"/grasp the concept at hand.  Maddening stuff...

Ian's undergrad degree is in Rhetoric.  In other words, he's been trained to use the language to his advantage to win debates, inflate the value of his points and devalue yours.  If you listen for them, you'll hear him use these techniques with guests and callers almost constantly.

'I totally get that' is simply a method used to dismiss what the guest is saying and move on to the points he wants to emphasize. 

b_dubb

I'd like to officially declare George Knapp my favorite host. Previously I'd declared that IP was my favorite. While I still like IP I find myself wishing he'd just let the guest continue when he feels compelled to interrupt. It seems like he's trying to prove himself to be the egghead he is

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: 999 on April 06, 2012, 04:10:34 PM

In the latter half, scientist Charles Pellegrino talks about how after a century, the Titanic's infrastructure is set to collapse in the next few years. He'll share untold stories about the sinking and exploration of the "unsinkable" ship.

Another discredited phony who is slinking his way back into the garden. I wouldn't trust Pellegrino as far I could throw Rosie O'Donnell.

b_dubb

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 06, 2012, 06:50:00 PM
                Another discredited phony who is slinking his way back into the garden. I wouldn't trust Pellegrino as far I could throw Rosie O'donnell
bullshit. your post indicates that you can throw Rosie O'Donnell. clearly not possible

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on April 06, 2012, 07:06:22 PM
bullshit. your post indicates that you can throw Rosie O'Donnell. clearly not possible

I'm about 240...yeah, you're right.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 06, 2012, 08:30:03 PM
          I'm about 240...yeah, you're right.
240?  Coyle, tell me you're at least proportional, like 8 feet tall...?

I always pictured you as a medium-sized slender guy like the select few Army buddies who were able to totally crack me up  ;D ;D ;D   Which you routinely do.