• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

CoastCanuck

Heard a few minutes of Ian's most recent show... my opinion here, but he needs to quit continuously mentioning Twitter, tweets, messages from his followers, and @deaconpunnett.   

Ben Shockley

Quote from: CoastCanuck on February 13, 2012, 06:32:47 PM
Heard a few minutes of Ian's most recent show... my opinion here, but he needs to quit continuously mentioning Twitter, tweets, messages from his followers, and @deaconpunnett.
AMEN!!
I guess he thinks it makes him so modern and relevant.  It's just annoying and obtrusive.
And imagine who takes the time and is so desperate for "cyber" friends that they even add him on Twitter or whatever he shills.  Imagine who wants to "follow" him .... to know his daily thoughts ~~  YIKES !!

b_dubb

I follow Ian on Twitter. His posts are usually interesting and/or funny.

Do you guys use Twitter?

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Me on February 13, 2012, 06:57:37 PM
...imagine who takes the time and is so desperate for "cyber" friends that they even add him on Twitter or whatever he shills.  Imagine who wants to "follow" him .... to know his daily thoughts ~~  YIKES !!
Quote from: b_dubb on February 13, 2012, 07:15:06 PM
I follow Ian on Twitter. His posts are usually interesting and/or funny.
Do you guys use Twitter?
Okay, b_dubb, Shockley steps in it again.   No offense meant to you.   What do you expect from an alcoholic loser cop ?

Quote from: Ben Shockley on February 13, 2012, 08:17:42 PM
Okay, b_dubb, Shockley steps in it again...

Don't give up yet.  Have you seen any of that drivel?   Go scroll through some of it and try to find something even marginally worth your time.

Here's one - Ian trying to tell someone nobody else has ever mentioned that he sounds like he's gasping for air when he first comes back from break.  Really Ian, no one?  Ever?:

@maxtcatmaxtcat     
deaconpunnett Ian, consider a new microphone--your sharp inhales before speaking are loud and distracting.
@deaconpunnettIan Punnett     
@maxtcat No thanks, state of the art mic. You're the only person I've ever heard from with that peeve, though! Sorry it's annoying to you.   

Or this one - Ian all indignant that someone called him on his habit of cutting people off (don't believe your ears, believe Ian Punnett):

@rockabilly33sean davis     
@deaconpunnett not a big fan of u.stop cutting people off. i hope u dnt loose ur hearng.listn 2 sum canada bands.4 good rock 4 last year.
@deaconpunnettIan Punnett      @rockabilly33  I'll assume you aren't stupid. I never "cut people off," I direct them away from the weeds and keep the conversation focused.   

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 13, 2012, 08:27:43 PM
Don't give up yet.  Have you seen any of that drivel?   Go scroll through some of it and try to find something even marginally worth your time.
Exactly what I thought.  Apologies to b_dubb...
I mean, the guy calls his college-age kids "Itchy and Scratchy" in public....
In the words of Don Rickles in "Kelly's Heroes,"  "Sump'ms wrong with him!"

EvB

Quote from: Ben Shockley on February 13, 2012, 08:43:51 PM
Exactly what I thought.  Apologies to b_dubb...
I mean, the guy calls his college-age kids "Itchy and Scratchy" in public....

He does a morning drive show in the Twin Cities area - he started calling them that when they were very young to protect them.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 13, 2012, 08:43:12 PM
Here's one - Ian trying to tell someone nobody else has ever mentioned that he sounds like ......
I won't claim any magic powers, but maybe along with 10,000 others (who never e-mailed, I'm sure, according to Deacon) ...
Do y'all remember back around '06, '07 or whenever "Coast Live" or whatever they called it aired for the 4 hours before Saturday nights' "C2C" show?  Before they put "Art - Somewhere In Time" in that slot ~~

Ian used to come on and and, no doubt trying to sound like some kind of elder statesman of the air... he would say "....and I've packed my pipe..." (speaking of his tobacco habit).  I got so sick of that reference that I e-mailed and told him so, and about the next week, it got permanently dropped.
Not saying I did it; more likely that a lot of folks did it.... but it seems like Punnett will try to say that no one has ever mentioned X, Y, or Z .... like we have documented: he swears that "Coast" today is the same as when he first guested in about '99 ...   Yeah, right!

Ben Shockley

Quote from: EvB on February 13, 2012, 08:48:15 PM
He does a morning drive show in the Twin Cities area - he started calling them that when they were very young to protect them.
I had no idea about that or any idea of his life -- despite the fact that he had spewed about it for 13 years on "Coast."  I had missed all of it, despite knowing that he does it.  You have changed my perception of Punnett 180 degrees.

stevesh

Quote from: EvB on February 13, 2012, 08:48:15 PM

You can listen to Punnett and his wife exchange 'witty banter' on the station's website, but I don't recommend it.

rbduck

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 13, 2012, 02:46:31 PM

Listening to him, I got the impression he more into 'religion' as an intellectual pursuit than as a believer.

If that is true he's not telling someone the truth. He has a profess a deep personal belief in what he studies in order to be ordained. Just a thought.

El Kragen

I listened to Ian show today. I thought it was pretty good. I have some issues with him as a host but he's light years ahead of Simple George in terms of running a show. I appreciate the fact that Ian actually puts some effort into prepping for the show. He went on & on about his theory regarding the SF Killers/Drowning Mystery but listening I couldn't help and think of Snoory giving his take: "Sumthin's going on. It's possible that somebody probably knows sumthin..Don'tcha think?"

Ian doing open lines next Friday (not this) means two things: 1) Intelligent chatting with callers and 2) no UFO Phil.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: HorrorReporter on February 17, 2012, 07:29:09 AM
Ian doing open lines next Friday (not this) means two things: 1) Intelligent chatting with callers and 2) no UFO Phil.

First, yay!  I like Ian a whole lot more than some here do, so this makes me happy.  And it means no Snoory doing Open Lines, so double yay.

Second, we're not done February yet, and already Ian is breaking from his once-a-month plan.  I like that, too.  Maybe it portends an eventual end to Wells, which would be fine with me, since I dislike Wells a lot more than some here.  (His "fair chance" with me is done.) 

I found it interesting last Sunday how bubbling over with excitement for the show Ian seemed to be--pre-Sunday on Twitter and then on air.  Maybe exchanging "witty banter" with his wife on weekday mornings isn't satisfying him.  That's what I'm hoping, anyway. 

Morgus

Quote from: Lovely Bones on February 17, 2012, 08:53:43 AMSecond, we're not done February yet, and already Ian is breaking from his once-a-month plan.
actually thats not breaking Ian's plan since he said he would have only his one Sunday a month show regularly scheduled PLUS fill-in shows once in a while, when Noory takes a Friday off...

Harmness

Quote from: Morgus on February 17, 2012, 03:49:15 PM
actually thats not breaking Ian's plan since he said he would have only his one Sunday a month show regularly scheduled PLUS fill-in shows once in a while, when Noory takes a Friday off...

Buzzkill.

Blutsauger

This is a great example of Ian being so wrapped up in himself that he can't sit back, have a smoke, and let the caller rant for a few mins. All he can think of is the caller is trying to take control of the show. Art would have let the caller take controll of the show for a bit, and then wrested it back whenever he wanted.  Ian is such a horrid, self absorbed,  negative example of what cristianity is supposed to be. H reminds me of one of those people who get's their online certifiction to be a minister for tax purposes. Coast to Coast AM - Ian Punnet vs. Angry Christian Preacher

Hugo Fitch

Dr. Peter Beter. Heh. Ian got a chuckle out of that.

WOTR

I know that the history of rock and roll is not really classic coast, but it was good to hear the program.  The guest knew every name of every musician that played on pretty much every track without looking it up; he was beyond knowledgeable.  Ian could read the show and knew the guest was good and cut open lines a little shorter.  Overall, it was good radio even if it was not so much a Coast topic.
Quote from: Blutsauger on February 25, 2012, 01:31:53 AM
This is a great example of Ian being so wrapped up in himself that he can't sit back, have a smoke, and let the caller rant for a few mins. [/url]
You have no idea how happy I am to hear Ian cut that jackass off.  I am from Calgary, so this is not the first time that I have been exposed to Suleman (sp) in the media.  He crashes weddings, drags people through human rights tribunals and generally makes an ass of himself.  Between him and Art Palowski, (another local nutjob preacher,) I have about had it.  Art tossed himself on the floor of city hall a few weeks ago screaming to the cops to taser him for his beliefs (he reminded me of a three year old throwing a temper tantrum while the police just looked on while he thrashed and screamed).  I have also had some person to person dealings with him.  I'm sick of hearing these guys and will take Ian out for a steak dinner to thank him for cutting his caller short if ever given the chance.

Ian also cut off the "I know where heaven is but won't tell you" guy tonight.  Somebody coming on and trying to direct traffic to his cult based website deserves to be cut off just as the whack job, hate filled, publicity seeking "preacher" deserved to be cut off.

Bravo, Ian!

valdez

Quote from: WOTR on February 25, 2012, 05:05:44 AM
Overall, it was good radio even if it was not so much a Coast topic...Bravo, Ian!

Professional malcontent Russ Baker is suspicious of Bill O'Rielly's upcoming book on the JFK assassination.  The "wrecking crew" segment with Kent Hartman was fascinating.  All of Phil Spector's "wall of sound" hits were done by these guys?  Glen Campbell was one of them?  I just saw him on tv recently and thought he was pathetic, but now maybe I think he just might be cool.  Speaking of JFK, some guy called in and said all this recent talk about the assassination is some sort of secret message/warning/threat to our current President.  I thought it was idiocy (the JFK assassination has been fodder for discussion for fifty years) and I thought for sure Ian was going to shut that guy down like a Chinese restaurant with no electricity in the middle of July, but Ian actually entertained and gave a whiff of credence to it.  Shame.  Still, it was good to hear Ian.  A decent show.

cool?

stevesh

Russ Baker seems to be becoming another Mish Shedlock - on way too often.

I really enjoyed the interview about the Wrecking Crew too (bought the book), and wouldn't mind if all of Ian's and George Knapp's hosting appearances were that kind of glimpse-into-a-world-I-know-nothing-about shows.

Glen Campbell is battling Alzheimer's, which is probably why he didn't seem his old self.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: valdez on February 25, 2012, 05:37:02 AM
cool?
Quote from: stevesh on February 25, 2012, 05:43:46 AM
Glen Campbell is battling Alzheimer's, which is probably why he didn't seem his old self.
I was predicting Campbell's demise in the late 1990s.   You all know the maxim about "celebrity deaths come in threes."   First, John Denver crashed his ultralight aircraft, then Sonny Bono beat the back of his head repeatedly against a tree while skiing (the oddities of which were covered on "Coast" a few years ago).   Both singers ("alleged" in Sonny's case); both with TV variety shows in the '70s.   Who else fit that description?   I remember telling my mother, after Sonny's death, "Look for Glen Campbell to go next!"

sleeplessinca

I only caught a bit of Ian's show, a part of the wrecking crew segment.  Loved it.  I didn't know that and learned even more reading some of the reviews.  Glen Campbell?  Who knew?  They probably mentioned Jimmy Page's guitar work on Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual".  Epic.

I guess it makes sense they would assemble a winning band and knock it out of the park over and over.  Sure do wish someone would do it again cuz a lot of the music sucks now.  Rap is brain damaging far as I can see.

I like how Ian manages the callers.  Yeah, I heard the 3 min clip of him with the religious whack job and have to agree that he let the guy go on too long and his response went on too long.  Maybe he hasn't heard about the futility of arguing with a drunk or crazy person.  I like that he will give people their say, listen and respond.  Maybe he could learn to utilize a Snoorey line like "you never know" to simply end it.  Snoorey is the master of disengagement because he never engages. 

b_dubb

Glenn Campbell was a helluva musician in his day. Played with/for everyone

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on February 25, 2012, 11:19:12 AM
Glenn Campbell was a helluva musician in his day. Played with/for everyone
Guys like him and Leon Russell, Jim Gordon really did play on seemingly everything in that era.
          That a shitball like Kanye West makes more money in a week than Campbell did from 1960-69, makes armageddon all the more attractive.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 25, 2012, 03:10:56 PM
          Guys like him and Leon Russell, Jim Gordon really did play on seemingly everything in that era.
          That a shitball like Kanye West makes more money in a week than Campbell did from 1960-69, makes armageddon all the more attractive.

Leon Russell, oh yeah. Makes me want to spit in Kanye West's general direction.

Good show last night. I'd heard of the Wrecking Crew via the obvious, the Monkees, but some of the other revelations floored me. Amazing musicians, every one of them.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on February 25, 2012, 06:30:03 PM

Good show last night. I'd heard of the Wrecking Crew via the obvious, the Monkees, but some of the other revelations floored me. Amazing musicians, every one of them.
For all of Ian's shortcomings, a show like last night's plays to his strengths. Noory would say "Glen Campbell did Rhinestone Cowboy? Amazing! I never knew that "Galveston" was by him!"

I sensed a little bit of an edge to Ian last night. At one point on the air he somewhat yelled at Dan Gallanti (sp?) about a call. He was cutting calls quickly. He was laughing somewhat loud about the girl who saw the 6 foot rabbit.
Could it be that Ian Punnett is getting the same 'taste' of the show that Art Bell got? ....
Interesting stuff I thought last evening...very interesting.