• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 27, 2011, 01:00:09 AM
     Ian's wet dream:  Jason The Horse parachuting out of skyjacked plane with the Lindbergh baby in his arms and landing in Harry Shearer's yard.
Nice work.

HAL 9000

Quote from: gandalf50 on November 26, 2011, 06:25:43 PM
You're not alone. I'm hearing the same.  8)

I heard it live, and even listening again only confirms what I originally heard him say, which is:

"I get so many funny tweets back from people..."

Morgus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 27, 2011, 01:00:09 AM
     Ian's wet dream:  Jason The Horse parachuting out of skyjacked plane with the Lindbergh baby in his arms and landing in Harry Shearer's yard.
should tweet that to Ian's tweeter site - he might fall out of his chair...  ;D

Gassy Man

Well, I'm trying to listen to Paul A. Trout, a retired English professor, discuss his Joseph-Campbell-esque book on monsters . . . but the talk is unbearable, as Trout is one of those methodical, repetitive types that despite his training seems to have never heard of that helpful part of speech called the pronoun and also pronounces certain words with an annoying affectation . . . jag-YOO-ar, for instance.

Scully

I'm listening to Ian and Trout, too.  For a while I was almost convincing myself that, while certainly not exciting, it was somewhat educational.

By this last hour, though it just seems pointless since I spend zero time worrying about being eaten by some animal.  ???

Gassy Man

Quote from: Scully on November 27, 2011, 03:37:54 AM
I'm listening to Ian and Trout, too.  For a while I was almost convincing myself that, while certainly not exciting, it was somewhat educational.

By this last hour, though it just seems pointless since I spend zero time worrying about being eaten by some animal.  ???
His thesis is also pretty obvious and has been explored many times before -- years ago even master plagiarist Stephen King wrote his "Ten Bears" essay about the monsters people fear and why. 

Vatar

I thought that show was full of it. We all know the first gods the ancient people worshiped were the aliens that created us.  I think this Trout guy must have been living under a rock and not watching Ancient Aliens on the history channel.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Scully on November 27, 2011, 03:37:54 AM

Are you a city girl?  I ask because out here in Rural World, it's not entirely unusual to worry about being eaten by some animal.  Or at least harmed, if not eaten.  But daily life here is apparently nothing like life in a Kenyan village today, where someone has to sit up with a gun all night, every night, to fend off lions.  Makes you appreciate being able to lock the doors and generally keep the critters out. 

I rather enjoyed Ian's interview with Trout, even if it wasn't chock full of new ideas.  Even the callers brought some intriguing questions to the plate.  Beat the pants off the drunks calling Noory the other night. 

CoastCanuck

I only listened to the first few minutes of hour 1 last night.  Ian said he will be on Coast Insider this week where he will give a clue as to an upcoming annoucement he will make next week. 

b_dubb

Quote from: Vatar on November 27, 2011, 04:19:56 AM
I thought that show was full of it. We all know the first gods the ancient people worshiped were the aliens that created us.  I think this Trout guy must have been living under a rock and not watching Ancient Aliens on the history channel.
keep in mind that Ancient Aliens is produced by the same group that did Girls Gone Wild. a paragon of journalistic integrity it isn't.

Vatar

Quote from: Lovely Bones on November 27, 2011, 09:07:59 AM
Are you a city girl?  I ask because out here in Rural World, it's not entirely unusual to worry about being eaten by some animal.  Or at least harmed, if not eaten.

I don't worry about animals attacking me I have a guns lots and lots of guns.

Fry's girl arm yourself or the raccoon that digs in your garbage might take you hostage.
(this statement is in no way meant to be a derogatory reference to black people. *waves hand* You may go about your business)

Frys Girl

Quote from: Vatar on November 27, 2011, 04:56:29 PM
I don't worry about animals attacking me I have a guns lots and lots of guns.

Fry's girl arm yourself or the raccoon that digs in your garbage might take you hostage.
(this statement is in no way meant to be a derogatory reference to black
people. *waves hand* You may go about your business)
I love how much my gun has scandalized some. Im also getting a nice .357 magnum. It's more for fun. Guns are awesome.

b_dubb

the recent Ian show is interesting.  you rarely hear/see a discussion of how natural selection shapes behavior in humans.  we tend to think we are somehow exempt from the forces of evolution but the truth is that our brains, biology and anatomy are all selected for by environmental pressures. 

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Psychoevolutionary+theory

Imagine Snoory interviewing Ian's guest last night? He would have just rattled off animals asking how they kill people then wrapped it up with "Where can we get your book?" and been off to open lines in an hour.

b_dubb

Snoory looks a lot like Snooky.  made me do a double take

Scully

Quote from: Lovely Bones on November 27, 2011, 09:07:59 AM
Are you a city girl?  I ask because out here in Rural World, it's not entirely unusual to worry about being eaten by some animal.  Or at least harmed, if not eaten.  But daily life here is apparently nothing like life in a Kenyan village today, where someone has to sit up with a gun all night, every night, to fend off lions.  Makes you appreciate being able to lock the doors and generally keep the critters out. 

I rather enjoyed Ian's interview with Trout, even if it wasn't chock full of new ideas.  Even the callers brought some intriguing questions to the plate.  Beat the pants off the drunks calling Noory the other night.

Good point, LB.  I live in suburbia now, but still rural enough to have lots of squirrels and bunnies running through my yard.  Once on a nearby walking trail at dusk, I saw the largest "cat" I've ever seen skulking along in the high weeds on the other side of a wire fence. I still wonder about that critter.  Don't know what it was, but it did give me pause.

As a child living on an east Texas bayou, water moccasins and copperheads made regular appearances in our yard, and I nearly sat down on one once.

All in all I think this particular subject just wasn't my cup of tea. :-\

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Scully on November 28, 2011, 03:48:15 AM

Good point, LB.  I live in suburbia now, but still rural enough to have lots of squirrels and bunnies running through my yard.  Once on a nearby walking trail at dusk, I saw the largest "cat" I've ever seen skulking along in the high weeds on the other side of a wire fence. I still wonder about that critter.  Don't know what it was, but it did give me pause.

As a child living on an east Texas bayou, water moccasins and copperheads made regular appearances in our yard, and I nearly sat down on one once.

All in all I think this particular subject just wasn't my cup of tea. :-\

I will now worry about you being chased down by those squirrels and bunnies, Scully!   ;D  J/K

11angeleyes11

Scientific studies have shown that continued exposure to Miracle Grow and other lawn herbisides have made the current generation of bunnies and squirrels enter a New Age.  With that being the case, they have also developed more frontal lobe enhancement and can make the choice between good and bad.  Those bad, bad squirrels and wabbits.  They can be werry, werry dangerous. 

Update tonight in Crypto News.

Scully

Can't be too careful ... maybe another large caliber gun in my Christmas stocking?  8) 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Scully on November 28, 2011, 10:01:46 PM
Can't be too careful ... maybe another large caliber gun in my Christmas stocking?  8)

I hear Frys Girl has one picked out for ya! 

Vatar

Quote from: Lovely Bones on November 29, 2011, 09:21:58 AM
I hear Frys Girl has one picked out for ya!

colt .45 44 magnum works every time.

Anyone get a hint as to what Ian's announcement was?

Quote from: TaoOfLuxLisbon on November 30, 2011, 06:36:41 PM

I just saw his Tweet, too.

I didn't guess, but I hope it's that Art is doing the New Years show this year. That would be my best guess. Or Ian is doing it. That seems more likely.

No.

Now must wait until Saturday?

"Ian Punnett: It always goes by so quick. Remember, a bit of an announcement this Saturday night, first hour. The guest will be talking about government agencies that are putting GPS devices on cars and then . . . "

(Am a chagrined Streamlink member, but used the membership to pop over to the transcript from last night to see if he revealed anything.)

Love George's haters here!  ;)

Here's Ian's Tweet from about an hour ago:

"@deaconpunnett
Ian Punnett
Remember, I have an officially sanctioned C2C announcement in the first hour this Sat. night. I won't tell you "warmer" but any guesses?"

11angeleyes11

Honestly, Abe, Ian like you cannot tell a lie.  I pray that the Deacon will be performing hosting duties on New Year's Eve.  It is after all New Year's Eve when he will be hosting.  It is his regularly scheduled night because New Year's Eve this year is on a Saturday night. 

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on November 30, 2011, 09:01:59 PM
Honestly, Abe, Ian like you cannot tell a lie.  I pray that the Deacon will be performing hosting duties on New Year's Eve.
You honestly don't believe that do you? There are some pretty whacked out "Deacons" in this World. There is nothing about Ian Pooonit's face or deameanor that tells me he is an honest, Godly man. He has the look of a woodchuck in bad need of Rogaine.

Yes, Ian has a few more grey cells than Whorge, but he doesn't value his guests any more than George does. Eee-yon (Isn't there an open line regular who calls him this? Makes me laugh every time.) merely waits for a pause in the conversation so that he can insert his lame jokes. One of many examples: I loved listening to Lynn Picknett & Clive Prince some time back (I know, I know...they're entertaining to me), but cringed every time Ian leapt in with his weak attempts at wordplay. Just like Snore-on's, Ian's guests laugh uncomfortably and try to discreetly pick up the thread...

He does seem more at ease and isn't trying quite so hard to impress everyone with his Deaconship, though, he does drag its tired carcass out and drop it in a guest's lap if he feels they don't fully appreciate the fact that he's a Divinitatis Doctor.

It seemed revealing when he used to talk about his older brother to whom he apparently looks up. He always sounded like the kid brother who was trying to measure up in big bro's eyes.

Cons: "Let's set the table..."
           Harry Shearer kiss-assery

Pros:   Kicked Quayle's ass OFF the damn show!
           Studies subject prior to show

He seems to have weathered his health challenges this year with good humor. I often forget that he suffers from tinnitus. It must be maddening.

Quote from: TaoOfLuxLisbon on November 30, 2011, 06:36:41 PM

Maybe he's finally coming out.  Or getting out.

Something tells me this announcement means Ian's days are numbered. But maybe it will turn out to be a positive thing.