• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Quote from: albrecht on July 22, 2019, 07:00:53 PM
Their chili is like a weak spaghetti sauce.

Dallas County Jail  Chili Chili philosopher John Thorne  comments: "Texas prison chili got its good reputation from Sheriff Smoot  Schmidt’s truly fine recipe for the Dallas County Jail. Recently, however, a  Texas prison chili contest was won by the Huntsville Penitentiary with a  godawful recipe that called for twice as much cumin as chili powder and ‘2  handfuls’ of monosodium glutamate. In Texas, this is called crime  deterrence." *   Â½ pound beef suet, ground *   2 pounds coarsely ground beef *   3 garlic cloves, minced *   1½ tablespoons paprika *   3 tablespoons chili powder *   1 tablespoon cumin seeds *   1 tablespoon salt *   1 teaspoon white pepper *   1½ teaspoons dried sweet (mild)  chile pods (or paprika) *   3 cups water Fry the suet in a heavy kettle.  Add the meat, garlic, and seasonings; cover. Cook slowly for 4 hours, stirring  occasionally. Add the water and continue cooking until the chili has thickened  slightly, about 1 hour. Serve plain or mixed with an equal portion of cooked  pink or red beans. Yield: 6 servings Heat Scale: Medium

I'm a little wary of the suet portion.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 22, 2019, 06:58:08 PM
Pffft.   Ohio.  Everyone knows they are all bat shit crazy there.   Hell - they fought a war to *get* Toledo instead of being thankful they were rid of it.
/quote]

Can't argue that point.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 22, 2019, 07:10:42 PM
I'm a little wary of the suet portion.
Ha. We have become weak. Fat is where the taste lies in meats and it is good for the brain. It also satisfies hunger instincts so an argument could, possibly, be made that a person might eat less in overall volume?

I wonder how Dr.Wallet views this article?  I seem to recall some Swedish doctor was a guest on C2C years ago who suggested that people should eat more fat and also that tobacco smoking helped kill cancer, lower blood pressure, and less risk of aneurysms.   

https://undark.org/2019/07/18/science-of-eggs/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

albrecht

"In the Middle East, more than half of Tang's annual sales happen in just six weeks around Ramadan where many families gather for dinner or an event with a variety of food and the drink Tang"
https://www.mondelezinternational.com/~/media/MondelezCorporate/Uploads/downloads/tang_Fact_Sheet.pdf 

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on July 22, 2019, 07:00:53 PM
Their chili is like a weak spaghetti sauce.

Dallas County Jail  Chili Chili philosopher John Thorne  comments: "Texas prison chili got its good reputation from Sheriff Smoot  Schmidt’s truly fine recipe for the Dallas County Jail. Recently, however, a  Texas prison chili contest was won by the Huntsville Penitentiary with a  godawful recipe that called for twice as much cumin as chili powder and ‘2  handfuls’ of monosodium glutamate. In Texas, this is called crime  deterrence." *   Â½ pound beef suet, ground *   2 pounds coarsely ground beef *   3 garlic cloves, minced *   1½ tablespoons paprika *   3 tablespoons chili powder *   1 tablespoon cumin seeds *   1 tablespoon salt *   1 teaspoon white pepper *   1½ teaspoons dried sweet (mild)  chile pods (or paprika) *   3 cups water Fry the suet in a heavy kettle.  Add the meat, garlic, and seasonings; cover. Cook slowly for 4 hours, stirring  occasionally. Add the water and continue cooking until the chili has thickened  slightly, about 1 hour. Serve plain or mixed with an equal portion of cooked  pink or red beans. Yield: 6 servings Heat Scale: Medium

In Hungary, where chili originated among the gulyások (basically Hungarian cowboys) of the Great Hungarian Plain (despite what is taught in Texas), it is traditionally made with beef shank, the cowboy's portion of the slaughtered animal, which, with its abundance of tough connective tissue, yields a distinct gelatinous quality to the dish after hours in the great iron kettle.

When you consider that the sweet paprika used for goulash (named for the gulyás, of course) these days is a modern genetic mutant, the recipes and flavors are nearly identical, though in Hungary you are more likely to encounter a few caraway seeds instead of cumin.

The original Finno-Ugric cowboy of the puszta:

complete with longhorn cattle:

Shank is hard to find, but I get it at the Korean market.

But could those Finno-Turks save 55 cents with a coupon when making it?

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 22, 2019, 08:20:29 PM
In Hungary, where chili originated among the gulyások (basically Hungarian cowboys) of the Great Hungarian Plain (despite what is taught in Texas), it is traditionally made with beef shank, the cowboy's portion of the slaughtered animal, which, with its abundance of tough connective tissue, yields a distinct gelatinous quality to the dish after hours in the great iron kettle.

When you consider that the sweet paprika used for goulash (named for the gulyás, of course) these days is a modern genetic mutant, the recipes and flavors are nearly identical, though in Hungary you are more likely to encounter a few caraway seeds instead of cumin.

The original Finno-Ugric cowboy of the puszta:

Shank is hard to find, but I get it at the Korean market.
Where is "Bill From Madison" when we need him on the Finno-Urgic chili debate?  ;)   I still say cornbread better than dumplings with your chili. What is with that area of the world with their dumplings with everything. Very heavy on the stomach. What was that old joke about food/weather of our American cousins to the south: punchline was something like "chili tamale?"

It is funny how meat varies in pricing, different butchery cuts, etc depending on country, whim, fad, etc. Not just beef but others also. Marketing, ethnic changes, or tastes. So weird, like skirt steak or chicken wings used to cost nothing but then the 'Buffalo Wings' and 'Fajitas' popularity. Apparently we sell a hell of a lot of chicken feet to China. Also appropriations and misnomers such as "Filet Americain" which is raw ground beef in the Low Countries eaten often as a sammich. Actually pretty good though I would hesitate to eat here due to mixing of multiple meats, etc.  We also, I think due to marketing, as missing out in use of offal and sweetbreads in our American cuisine. Even liver is anathema to many.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 22, 2019, 08:35:44 PM
But could those Finno-Turks save 55 cents with a coupon when making it?

If you are going to go canned than go with the Wolf (named after someone's pet wolf even.) Open a bag of Fritos, throw some Wolf Brand chili and you got yourself a nice snack!

"In 1924, Lyman sold the Wolf brand to J. C. West and Fred Slauson who began expanding the area of distribution for the chili beyond Corsicana. Salesmen drove distinctive can-shaped trucks labeled with the chili's name, sometimes with Davis' pet wolf in a cage in the back. The vehicle not only provided practical transportation for company salesmen but also was an effective mobile advertisement for their products"

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on July 22, 2019, 08:36:13 PM
Where is "Bill From Madison" when we need him on the Finno-Urgic chili debate?  ;)   I still say cornbread better than dumplings with your chili. What is with that area of the world with their dumplings with everything. Very heavy on the stomach. What was that old joke about food/weather of our American cousins to the south: punchline was something like "chili tamale?"

It is funny how meat varies in pricing, different butchery cuts, etc depending on country, whim, fad, etc. Not just beef but others also. Marketing, ethnic changes, or tastes. So weird, like skirt steak or chicken wings used to cost nothing but then the 'Buffalo Wings' and 'Fajitas' popularity. Apparently we sell a hell of a lot of chicken feet to China. Also appropriations and misnomers such as "Filet Americain" which is raw ground beef in the Low Countries eaten often as a sammich. Actually pretty good though I would hesitate to eat here due to mixing of multiple meats, etc.  We also, I think due to marketing, as missing out in use of offal and sweetbreads in our American cuisine. Even liver is anathema to many.

Oh the dumpling thing goes back for millennia!  Common people had no ovens to make bread so put the flour in the cookpot over the fire with everything else.

In Western Europe people have largely forgotten this, which is why that silly theory about noodles coming from China has taken hold.  In Eastern Europe they just look at the proto-noodle spaetzle (or any of the innumerable names and variants) in their pots and shake their heads.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 22, 2019, 08:49:41 PM
Oh the dumpling thing goes back for millennia!  Common people had no ovens to make bread so put the flour in the cookpot over the fire with everything else.

In Western Europe people have largely forgotten this, which is why that silly theory about noodles coming from China has taken hold.  In Eastern Europe they just look at the proto-noodle spaetzle (or any of the innumerable names and variants) in their pots and shake their heads.
You mean Marco Polo didn't bring spaghetti and ice cream back from China?  :o   

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on July 22, 2019, 09:09:09 PM
You mean Marco Polo didn't bring spaghetti and ice cream back from China?  :o

Goodness no, the idea is preposterous on its face.  Spaetzle and all those mini dumplings are usually made fresh but you can't tell me somebody didn't notice you could keep them overnight -- flour-and-liquid paste dries quite willingly -- and pop them in the pot the next day, or the next week.  Why should he spare any weight on his camels for the dried scraps that probably littered his mother's kitchen floor when all the silks and spices and attars of Asia were begging for a lift?

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 22, 2019, 09:23:23 PM
Goodness no, the idea is preposterous on its face.  Spaetzle and all those mini dumplings are usually made fresh but you can't tell me somebody didn't notice you could keep them overnight -- flour-and-liquid paste dries quite willingly -- and pop them in the pot the next day, or the next week.  Why should he spare any weight on his camels for the dried scraps that probably littered his mother's kitchen floor when all the silks and spices and attars of Asia were begging for a lift?
Blasphemer. Gelato, and even Ragu, was brought from China via Marco Polo. Actually weren't the potato and tomato 'new world' deals? Odd how things get adopted, even become staples or stereotypes but not from there. 

Estate Sale this past weekend had some good stuff. Former Supreme Court Justice (which here is highest civil court,not criminal.) Didn't get, but had a bunch of pre-Nutso Persian rugs (seemed legit with labels and signatures) but worn but still pretty solid* and some cool old wall hanging tapestries which also I couldn't use but were neat if I had more wall space or lived in a castle with drafts.
* for some reason I always suspect Norry is a carpet salesman. He has the "look" for it.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 22, 2019, 08:20:29 PM

One has to wonder what it would taste like with Mongolian Yak...

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 22, 2019, 09:44:38 PM

I believe there is, or was, a poster who could enlighten us on this? 

Bayer-AG is likely developing a cross-bred that is also Roundup Ready! Will be announced at the next Calgary Stampede. First a riding round, and then a wet-lab to show the benefits.

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 22, 2019, 06:52:18 PM
Try saying that in Cincinnati.

Cinnamon in Chili is not that bad...Moroccon....

chefist

Quote from: WOTR on July 22, 2019, 09:44:38 PM

Ha...Eddie Coyle is the bigger animal!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on July 22, 2019, 09:41:24 PM
Blasphemer. Gelato, and even Ragu, was brought from China via Marco Polo. Actually weren't the potato and tomato 'new world' deals? Odd how things get adopted, even become staples or stereotypes but not from there. 

Estate Sale this past weekend had some good stuff. Former Supreme Court Justice (which here is highest civil court,not criminal.) Didn't get, but had a bunch of pre-Nutso Persian rugs (seemed legit with labels and signatures) but worn but still pretty solid* and some cool old wall hanging tapestries which also I couldn't use but were neat if I had more wall space or lived in a castle with drafts.
* for some reason I always suspect Norry is a carpet salesman. He has the "look" for it.

Yeah potato, tomato, chocolate, corn, chilies, -- basically everything that is good.

I'm deeply suspicious of anything's supposed Chinese origins.  I don't think there is any race more grasping when it comes to intellectual property, even historical, and even though Confucianism and elder-worship basically put a lid on inquiry for hundreds of years of their history.

Porcelain and tea I get because the documentation is fairly recent, but I'm not buying the dinosaur feathers since most of the specimens come from there and the way they puff out their chests you'd think they invented the damn things.  I need to see receipts.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 22, 2019, 10:28:30 PM
Yeah potato, tomato, chocolate, corn, chilies, -- basically everything that is good.

I'm deeply suspicious of anything's supposed Chinese origins.  I don't think there is any race more grasping when it comes to intellectual property, even historical, and even though Confucianism and elder-worship basically put a lid on inquiry for hundreds of years of their history.

Porcelain and tea I get because the documentation is fairly recent, but I'm not buying the dinosaur feathers since most of the specimens come from there and the way they puff out their chests you'd think they invented the damn things.  I need to see receipts.
Never trust the Chinese. Very inscrutable and also have a long-term, suicidal way of thinking/planning. Which, arguably, considering, is a wise plan. But the "Yellow Peril" is real. There also is a lot of problems they have, or will have, or have had. There are multicultural issues there and other class issues. Having said that I worked with a bunch both ROC and PRC and some nice folks, but very piratical and devious, as the Orientals are bent.

Taaroa

Quote from: albrecht on July 22, 2019, 08:36:13 PM

When I was in Estonia earlier this year, my friend took me to this old market (which has been there even during the soviet times) so I could see how bad their meat is. Almost everything except seafood and pork was poor quality and expensive - particularly for beef.
He's always lamenting to me about how grim the meat situation is there (not helped by me sending him pictures of local relatively inexpensive but quality wagyu), and it's desperate enough for him to make 'runs' to London to visit the markets there every few months. Not that the UK situation is much better...

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 22, 2019, 10:28:30 PM
I don't think there is any race more grasping when it comes to intellectual property

Whoa, whoa whoa, whoa--cool it there with the antisemitism.

albrecht

Quote from: Taaroa on July 22, 2019, 11:14:45 PM
When I was in Estonia earlier this year, my friend took me to this old market (which has been there even during the soviet times) so I could see how bad their meat is. Almost everything except seafood and pork was poor quality and expensive - particularly for beef.
He's always lamenting to me about how grim the meat situation is there (not helped by me sending him pictures of local relatively inexpensive but quality wagyu), and it's desperate enough for him to make 'runs' to London to visit the markets there every few months. Not that the UK situation is much better...

I could see the economics for beef pricing in certain countries not as large or accommodating to that type of ranching.

There is no accounting for taste. I see articles, semi-frequently, about customs catching people importing things like "African Rat meat" and "bush meat" (for Africans this is anything you can kill but primarily consists of primate meat.)  It is bad enough we let them in without any health checks but they also want to bring their cuisine- which is fraught with potential dangers to humans and our agriculture? 

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/07/03/ohare-airport-african-rat-meat/ 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-rat-meat-ohare-airport-20190703-nrxxwk7wt5a77g34b2tz4b6qn4-nrxxwk7wt5a77g34b2tz4b6qn4-story.html 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/08/05/why-west-africans-keep-hunting-and-eating-bush-meat-despite-ebola-concerns/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5e2bcc455415

Taaroa

I feel like a Ford Mustang in the kind of winter north-eastern Europe gets is a bad idea. Assuming you could even get it started in those temperatures, don't they lose traction really easily on dry roads?

Jojo

Quote from: Richard Groyper on July 17, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
gay ass niggers. that is all.

ill be back Saturday, when Heather Wade returns. #EveryStepoftheWay
Not that there's anything wrong with being that...

Juan

That chili recipe would be much better with a few Rattlesnake peppers in it.

WOTR

Quote from: Taaroa on July 24, 2019, 07:26:30 AM
I feel like a Ford Mustang in the kind of winter north-eastern Europe gets is a bad idea. Assuming you could even get it started in those temperatures, don't they lose traction really easily on dry roads?

Most people around these parts use them (and Corvette's) for summer only cars and they get garaged in the winter. There are some exceptions (we had a woman working for us who had one as her only car...)

*It is sad that I know what your picture is referring to...  :-[

Titanium sporks as unexpected weapons.  Sturdy. Playful.

Deadly.

K_Dubb

Back to the Tatars:  I remember the big kerfuffle maybe ten years ago when links were announced between some obscure Siberian languages and the Athabascans/Na-Dene, which include much of Canada's north as well as Navajo and Apache, but I had no idea how recent some of the dates might be:

from here (pdf): https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joseph_Wilson7/publication/299425110_The_Union_of_Two_Worlds_Reconstructing_Elements_of_Proto-Athabaskan_Folklore_and_Religion/links/5aa050780f7e9badd9a14bf8/The-Union-of-Two-Worlds-Reconstructing-Elements-of-Proto-Athabaskan-Folklore-and-Religion.pdf

So we have a large-scale migration fleeing one of the many poorly documented Central Asian empires of this period, maybe even the Huns, which practiced enslavement of whole peoples but usually lasted only a generation or two.  This is like the Israelites coming out of Egypt, but on the scale of half a continent.

Some other links the guy writes about in addition to the folklore stuff include compound bows, copper smelting (e. g. Yellowknife), and (though he doesn't say it outright) a culture dedicated to conquest and enslavement (Slavey tribe, Great Slave Lake) following its Central Asian model.  One particularly chilling speculation to try to account for some odd DNA traces as well as the rapid language spread has them practicing female infanticide, deliberately forcing their young men out to find wives from among the enemy.

K_Dubb

Thank you Jacky that is perfect!  Tartary extended well into North America -- as anyone can see, all those great old buildings of the American West we ignorantly call "Victorian" clearly display the traits of Tatar vernacular architecture and were built by the "Indians".

A house in Kazan: